I hope you do realise that downloading and installing the apk is still side loading right? And a very dodgy practice at best.

You can argue for the future of BB10 but you can't argue for the present, it is what it is.

The whole android thing has come back to bite them in the arse now anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    There many apps you can download directly from the developer. I gave the example of the email app but there many more . You can get bank apps and newspaper apps directly. Since I have a android tablet there is a Apk collector app that allows me to email any apk in the store to myself.

I am not really sold on the Z models. Having access to android apps just removes a reason why not to buy a BlackBerry. I am hoping for a larger screened Q model.

Except for the keyboard, I really do not know why I should make my next phone a BlackBerry.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-07-14 at 10:32 AM.
    02-07-14 09:41 AM
    Some thoughts to those who think there is only room for BB10 if BlackBerry are to survive...

If it it so wrong to have a smaller memory phone that will do less, why is it that Samsung are quite happy to have the small Samsung Chat running alongside such as the flagship S4?

And on an android forum, if anyone has the audacity to mention that Samsung Chat are they called trolls, flamers etc?

Have the few on here decided that BBOS needs to die, which is going against BlackBerry's thoughts which are keeping BBOS running alongside BB10 as they have stated?

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 10:09 AM
    Some thoughts to those who think there is only room for BB10 if BlackBerry are to survive...

If it it so wrong to have a smaller memory phone that will do less, why is it that Samsung are quite happy to have the small Samsung Chat running alongside such as the flagship S4?

And on an android forum, if anyone has the audacity to mention that Samsung Chat are they called trolls, flamers etc?

Have the few on here decided that BBOS needs to die, which is going against BlackBerry's thoughts which are keeping BBOS running alongside BB10 as they have stated?

Posted via CB10
    Samsung has so much money they do their market research after launching a product, they can afford to lose money

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-07-14 10:12 AM
    A question:

Is it feasible for BlackBerry to offer BES to individual users as if we were an employee of the BlackBerry service company ? Wouldn't the consumer get the better security offered under BES and wouldn't BlackBerry make additional service revenue?

I do not know if this idea is feasible.
    02-07-14 10:35 AM
    Samsung has so much money they do their market research after launching a product, they can afford to lose money

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Isn't BES / BIS still bringing in some income ?

Really, my post about the Samsung comparison was to point out what I can only think of as bigoted veiws of some on these few threads, re BB10 and BBOS.

Now and again I have a break from my regular haunts and come over here for a few days.....that's apart from visiting daily to veiw the news articles etc. And this visit has been worse than others, if that were at all possible.

I'd seen a post from one of the forum owners re playing nicely, but in these few threads all I've seen are "over importance of the person in their own mind" posts, many posts where people are called trolls etc, and some posts where other posters are treated quite rudely.

And as Crackberry is mosly at the forefront of anything Blackberry, what sort of message does this throw out? Will new visitors want to join in these threads when the 'fanboys' jump on the slightest thing and either shout troll or ridicule?

Blackberry are not stupid...they have seen by their latest figures that BBOS is still outselling BB10. Obviously everyone wants to get BB10 out there....let people see that BB10 is more than a match for competitors. But no one can dispute BBOS is still wanted by customers. And if Blackberry are not only willing to keep BIS running, but release a new BBOS phone then they themselves quite obviously want to keep BBOS around for a while.....which makes an *** of the ones continually snapping troll at people who mention and like BBOS....
    02-07-14 10:36 AM

Really, my post about the Samsung comparison was to point out what I can only think of as bigoted veiws of some on these few threads, re BB10 and BBOS.

Now and again I have a break from my regular haunts and come over here for a few days.....that's apart from visiting daily to veiw the news articles etc. And this visit has been worse than others, if that were at all possible.

I'd seen a post from one of the forum owners re playing nicely, but in these few threads all I've seen are "over importance of the person in their own mind" posts, many posts where people are called trolls etc, and some posts where other posters are treated quite rudely.

And as Crackberry is mosly at the forefront of anything Blackberry, what sort of message does this throw out? Will new visitors want to join in these threads when the 'fanboys' jump on the slightest thing and either shout troll or ridicule?

Blackberry are not stupid...they have seen by their latest figures that BBOS is still outselling BB10. Obviously everyone wants to get BB10 out there....let people see that BB10 is more than a match for competitors. But no one can dispute BBOS is still wanted by customers. And if Blackberry are not only willing to keep BIS running, but release a new BBOS phone then they themselves quite obviously want to keep BBOS around for a while.....which makes an *** of the ones continually snapping troll at people who mention and like BBOS....
    Noone said that BB07 is still wanted by some customers, I'm just saying that price is more of a factor than features.. you don't just stop producing a device, it takes time to slow then stop that's why BlackBerry released a new BB0S phone. Which some people actually think added to the confusion and was to make up for the fact that a lot of customers thought BB10 was a lot more like legacy than it is before using it

Personally I do apologise if I have 'jumped' on anyone, I'm a novice to the business of blackberry and I enjoy that Crackberry provides me a chance to learn and also to teach..

But certain things need to be made clear, although I've been pulled into a circular argument for a long time I do believe that some people have learnt a lot from this thread, I know I have..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-07-14 10:44 AM
    A question:

Is it feasible for BlackBerry to offer BES to individual users as if we were an employee of the BlackBerry service company ? Wouldn't the consumer get the better security offered under BES and wouldn't BlackBerry make additional service revenue?

This was one of the things I've often pondered, but then what would be the need for BES? Why should companies in something that doesn't give them more than what their employees can get?

Also I think the costs involved would make it a bit lengthy

Also a lot of people don't need the features offered under BES, the only thing I would want is Blackberry Balance,which I thought came with non company Z10

But i think the new BES cloud service is something interesting to watch and could answer your question..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-07-14 10:48 AM
    "Interestingly, BlackBerry has also been adding BlackBerry 7 apps at a rapid clip, with Saunders revealing that the total number of apps (BlackBerry 10 + BlackBerry 7 OS combined) now stood at 256,668."

Who was it that said BB7 developers are leaving fast?

Looks like BB7 apps are still increasing.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    The numbers said that, numbers which are more up to date than the ones you're quoting from..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-07-14 10:50 AM
    As of 27 September last year

BlackBerry 10: 131,708

Blackberry 07: 124,960

Based on average growth of 20kpm blackberry 10 should stand at about 211,708

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Plus how many Android apps just became available to download and run since BB10.2.1.1925 was released?

I can't stop downloading new things to try out!

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 / 10.2.1.1925 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2
    02-07-14 03:04 PM
    This is true. My bank has a banking app that I could get for the Curve9320. Not the Z10. And interestingly, I spoke to my bank only a couple of days ago re the app, and inquired if I could use the text "smartphone" facility....but no. BB10 doesn't support it.
    Update to BB10.2.1.1925 and it's very likely your bank's Android apps will run. Mine do, I'm banking while mobile again.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 / 10.2.1.1925 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2
    02-07-14 03:08 PM
    Once again disregard my entire post on one point, then attempt to divert once again to another subject..

Clearly his strategy du-jour.

The andorid security thing I'm sure.youre referring to isn't biting anyone, before its even become widespread knowledge they've already got a fix in place and it's only affecting certain users, the way you're saying it you wanted them to run around screaming Oh no what have we done, which undo the last update let's revive BB7

Not only is the Android issue not affecting the VAST MAJORITY of users, it only affects people whose devices are connected to a BES, that has a specific policy in place on the BES.

What system administrator with a brain is going to sanction their staff installing unknown Android apps on a company-connected Blackberry in the first place?

It's a tiny corner-case, and it will be easily corrected soon. Furthermore, the people affected are not "the general citizenry", they are all people who are managed by a professional I.T. staff of some kind who would be expected to be aware of and manage such issues professionally. (As opposed to the typical clueless consumer who wouldn't know how to keep their device secure if the instructions were tattooed onto their arm)
    tinochiko and Davidro1 like this.
    02-07-14 04:17 PM
    I don't have time to write essays on CB...

But apparently you have time to post hundreds of posts a month whining about all the things you think are wrong with the modern platforms, to the point where you hijack threads all over this site for the sole purpose of perpetuating this crusade of yours.

Yeah, no time. Gotcha.

Perhaps no time for detailed discussion, that I can see. Just enough time-per-message to throw out a bunch of red herrings, non-sequiturs, derailing, and thread-jacking.

I'm sure anybody that was ready to sign on the dotted line for BES10 is rethinking their options right now and perhaps they're gonna hold on to their BB7 devices a while longer.

And I'm sure that scenario only exists in the hallucinatory recesses of someone's one-track mind.
    02-07-14 04:23 PM
    Yes, you're right, I can't be bothered responding point by point to somebody so confrontational.

Funniest thing I've read here all week.
    02-07-14 04:23 PM

Not much.

Will new visitors want to join in these threads when the 'fanboys' jump on the slightest thing and either shout troll or ridicule?

Will new visitors want to join in these threads when the BOBUs and incessant platform gripers jump on the slightest thing and either shout troll or ridicule?

See what I did there?

It's always convenient for partisans to accuse their philosophical opponents as being the source of all problems.

Because I don't feel like getting an infraction for telling the obvious truth, I will only say: the biggest offender is on "your side". This is obvious to any reasonable person who pays attention and who is not already blinded by their own bias.
    02-07-14 04:36 PM

Samsung is the largest and most prolific maker of handheld devices in the world.

Samsung makes something like 80% of ALL the profit that is made on Android devices, worldwide.

Samsung makes so many devices, tons of them make little or no money - it makes no difference to them. They basically flood the earth with their products.

Samsung is a vertically-integrated company, they are the world's top manufacturer of many of the raw components used in mobile devices.

Samsung manufactures most of their devices in their own factories, they have no need to outsource this like so many other mobile device manufacturers, such as Apple and Blackberry. This lowers their cost structure substantially.

Samsung has one of the lowest cost structures in the world due to their massive scale, vertical integration and economic power.

Blackberry is not Samsung.
    02-07-14 04:37 PM

Sure it's feasible, it's on the verge of being rolled-out worldwide. The product name is "BES Cloud Services".
    02-07-14 04:38 PM
    Samsung is the largest and most prolific maker of handheld devices in the world.

Samsung makes something like 80% of ALL the profit that is made on Android devices, worldwide.

Samsung makes so many devices, tons of them make little or no money - it makes no difference to them. They basically flood the earth with their products.

Samsung is a vertically-integrated company, they are the world's top manufacturer of many of the raw components used in mobile devices.

Samsung manufactures most of their devices in their own factories, they have no need to outsource this like so many other mobile device manufacturers, such as Apple and Blackberry. This lowers their cost structure substantially.

Samsung has one of the lowest cost structures in the world due to their massive scale, vertical integration and economic power.

Blackberry is not Samsung.
    You do know too that Samsung does NOT respect intellectual property rights / patent infringements ?? In every aspect of their operations. I could go into the inside story of Samsung and how they really operate but that's a long story!

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 05:06 PM
    Done here.
    02-08-14 01:31 AM
1,393 ... 545556