Here, I'll go first: please compare the number of apps available in BlackBerry World for the BlackBerry 10 platform, compared to the BBOS platform.

BlackBerry 10:

BlackBerry OS:
    02-06-14 06:25 PM
    BelfastDispatcher:

If you have time could you try out Aqua Mail? Seems to be a free download at their site.

AquaMail: English: Downloads - Aqua Mail
    I have presumed that you would need the latest BB10 OS.
    Thanks
    Thanks for letting me know about this mail client app, it's nicer than K9 that's for sure and through EWS it works with my Exchange 2010 environment. Fun to mess around with Android mail apps on a BB10 phone, the possibilities just keep expanding with this brilliant platform.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 / 10.2.1.1925 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2
    Davidro1 likes this.
    02-06-14 06:30 PM
    You can call BS all you want. Fiserv is also dropping BlackBerry. They are a large financial services company.

The "BS" was over the allegation that companies are dropping Blackberries because they "aren't secure". That is pure BS.

Companies are dropping Blackberry for various reasons, chief amongst them the fact that they are perceived to be unpopular and the company's fate is in question. Nothing wrong with that. But let's not make dumb extrapolations.
    web99 and clickitykeys like this.
    02-06-14 06:38 PM
    The "BS" was over the allegation that companies are dropping Blackberries because they "aren't secure". That is pure BS.

Companies are dropping Blackberry for various reasons, chief amongst them the fact that they are perceived to be unpopular and the company's fate is in question. Nothing wrong with that. But let's not make dumb extrapolations.
    The biggest problem BES10 is facing in terms of adoption is that for a long time companies and organisations have been investing in 2 MDM solutions in parallel, BES5 for their legacy BlackBerry phones and A.N.Other MDM for everything else they've been using for years now.

BlackBerry doesn't allow other companies to access their API's to enable their products to manage BB10 phones to the level that BES10 can. Nothing beyond what ActiveSync policies can do can be done to a BB10 phone by any MDM product other than BES10.

Many enterprises seem to be taking the winding down of legacy BBOS and BES5 as the opportunity to pull the plug on the old BlackBerry platform and just continue with the other MDM solution they already had, which of course rules out BB10 in all but the least secure environments where ActiveSync policies will do.

Many are calling for BlackBerry to open up and allow their rivals to manage BB10 phones fully so that BB10 phones have a better chance of being bought by those Enterprises that want to use another MDM solution.

I suppose in a way it's a little like the old question of should BBM stay BlackBerry-only or go cross platform. From one point of view you're giving up an advantage, but from another you're opening up the product to new opportunities. Me I'd like to see BlackBerry open up those API's.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 / 10.2.1.1925 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 02-07-14 at 03:00 PM.
    02-06-14 07:32 PM
    Found this article on Flipboard and it was interesting to see. It focuses on iOS, Android and HTML 5, but also show statistics for BlackBerry 10

Thought it might be worth sharing
    HTML5 Catches Up To Apple �€“ ReadWrite

Attachment 245723

Attachment 245724

Attachment 245725

Note the shrinking of developers working on the legacy BBOS 5/6/7 platform. Note that BB10 developers are making more money on their apps than WinPhone developers are.

This doesn't personally doesn't surprise me at all, but yanno, sometimes ya gotta show the disbelievers hard facts: BBOS is dying.

I would like to find a way to look up the number of BBOS apps on BBW. Haven't found a way, yet. And Blackberry doesn't seem willing to share, either. (No surprise, really)
    johnnyuk likes this.
    02-06-14 07:39 PM
    it's bad enough to have to enter a code every single time I pick up the device after a 30 minute delay - if I had to do that every 2 minutes I would go insane.
    The newest OS version should allow you to set the lock timeout to 1 hour.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925
    02-06-14 07:57 PM
    Ok dude, you're right. Let's see how the sales are doing next quarter. My guess is the old BB7 will outsell BB10 again.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    My Prediction is that if BB7 outsells BB10, it will be by less unless BB10 sales fall significantly, the chart above shows clearly that whilst developer dropped by 1% for BB10 first quarter 2014, they dropped by 11% In The Same Period

And blackberry hasn't done much advertising that I've seen for 2014, maybe things will start rolling when Jakarta is launched later this month but what will legacy outselling BB10 prove? If anything after 10.2.1 if apps are such a big factor then they should sell more BB10 since they've now also got Androids statistics, or are you going to say it has to be native apps?

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Last edited by tinochiko; 02-07-14 at 12:21 AM.
    02-07-14 12:04 AM
    My [\I Prediction [/I] is that if BB7 outsells BB10, it will be by less unless BB10 sales fall significantly, the chart above shows clearly that whilst developer dropped by 1% for BB10 first quarter 2014, they dropped by 11% [\B In The Same Period /B]

And blackberry hasn't done much advertising that I've seen for 2014, maybe things will start rolling when Jakarta is launched later this month but what will legacy outselling BB10 prove? If anything after 10.2.1 if apps are such a big factor then they should sell more BB10 since they've now also got Androids statistics, or are you going to say it has to be native apps?

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    They don't necessarily have to be native apps but they do have to be in BB World.

02-07-14 12:17 AM
    Here, I'll go first: please compare the number of apps available in BlackBerry World for the BlackBerry 10 platform, compared to the BBOS platform.

BlackBerry 10:

BlackBerry OS:
    As of 27 September last year

BlackBerry 10: 131,708

Blackberry 07: 124,960

Based on average growth of 20kpm blackberry 10 should stand at about 211,708

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-07-14 12:22 AM
    They don't necessarily have to be native apps but they do have to be in BB World.

And why is that?

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-07-14 12:23 AM
    And why is that?

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Because regular people will not know how to find side load the android apps not will they want to do it.

After all, BlackBerry has always warned not to use apps from third party app stores.

Apps not in BB World have not been certified by BlackBerry.

02-07-14 12:36 AM

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    And if we take into account over 47000 of the BB10 apps were made by one developer alone?

JeepBB likes this.
    02-07-14 12:48 AM
    Because regular people will not know how to find side load the android apps not will they want to do it.

After all, BlackBerry has always warned not to use apps from third party app stores.

Apps not in BB World have not been certified by BlackBerry.

To save space I'll use one to reply to two

1) Ohh okay, so when we're talking BES features and the ity bity things that made BB7 so great to you, the 'regular people' become very knowledgeable or irrelevant.. love how your standards stand to everyone but yourself..anyway

I'll give you that they may not know how, especially since Google has become more regulated so hard to find stuff, but just for the sake of it, why wouldn't they want to? Say you're a 'regular teen' the Z10 is about 130 off sim so your dad has forced you to have it. You search for instagram and can't find it what's your first port of call? Google "how to get instagram onto blackberry z10" why they wouldn't want to do it I don't know, and you don't need to Sideload anything with 10.2.1 'if you didn't know' just get the apk and good to go..

2) right and this developer just magically appeared on bb10 with no presence at all on Bb7 right? Regardless, bb7 developers are dropping at a significant rate, and it could be argued that a 1% drop I'm a quarter is a fluctuations rather than a trend.. an os that's been around for a few years having less developer interest than one that's been around for One Year ..

Seriously 'dude' if what you believe is true, go and get some investors and make an offer to BlackBerry for their legacy arm.. if your business relys on.bb7 make Bb7 your business

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Last edited by tinochiko; 02-07-14 at 01:50 AM.
    02-07-14 01:17 AM
    To save space I'll use one to reply to two

1) Ohh okay, so when we're talking BES features and the ity bity things that made BB7 so great to you, the 'regular people' become very knowledgeable or irrelevant.. love how your standards stand to everyone but yourself..anyway

I'll give you that they may not know how, especially since Google has become more regulated so hard to find stuff, but just for the sake of it, why wouldn't they want to? Say you're a 'regular teen' the Z10 is about 130 off sim so your dad has forced you to have it. You search for instagram and can't find it what's your first port of call? Google "how to get instagram onto blackberry z10" why they wouldn't want to do it I don't know, and you don't need to Sideload anything with 10.2.1 'if you didn't know' just get the apk and good to go..

2) right and this developer just magically appeared on bb10 with no presence at all on Bb7 right? Regardless, bb7 developers are dropping at a significant rate, and it could be argued that a 1% drop I'm a quarter is a fluctuations rather than a trend.. an os that's been around for a few years having less developer interest than one that's been around for [I] One Year [I/]..

Seriously 'dude' if what you believe is true, go and get some investors and make an offer to BlackBerry for their legacy arm.. if your business relys on.bb7 make Bb7 your business

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    I hope you do realise that downloading and installing the apk is still side loading right? And a very dodgy practice at best.

You can argue for the future of BB10 but you can't argue for the present, it is what it is.

The whole android thing has come back to bite them in the arse now anyway.

02-07-14 01:33 AM
    I hope you do realise that downloading and installing the apk is still side loading right? And a very dodgy practice at best.

You can argue for the future of BB10 but you can't argue for the present, it is what it is.

The whole android thing has come back to bite them in the arse now anyway.

Once again disregard my entire post on one point, then attempt to divert once again to another subject..

Oh but you can argue for the present and future of BB7? Noone is saying BB10 is perfect, but BB07 is the part of BlackBerry that needs to die if they are going to have a successful future..

The andorid security thing I'm sure.youre referring to isn't biting anyone, before its even become widespread knowledge they've already got a fix in place and it's only affecting certain users, the way you're saying it you wanted them to run around screaming Oh no what have we done, which undo the last update let's revive BB7

Put your money where your mouth is and buy BlackBerry7

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Omnitech likes this.
    02-07-14 01:58 AM
    I don't have time to write essays on CB or to entretain your repeated and ridiculous suggestions that I should "buy BB7"

When I put my money where my mouth is I buy the product, not the company, so please stop it.

A chink in the BES10 armour is more damaging them you think to the company that claims to have the most secure platform.

I'm sure anybody that was ready to sign on the dotted line for BES10 is rethinking their options right now and perhaps they're gonna hold on to their BB7 devices a while longer.

The Android thing was always gonna be a liability.
    SalMan50 likes this.
    02-07-14 02:46 AM
    Why would they pump a secure company like BlackBerry. Think about it guys really, sell the idiots the thing they can use to sell them even more!! Simple, end this thread
    02-07-14 02:58 AM
    hi are you there
    Stop spamming this thread, you're in the wrong section.

02-07-14 03:22 AM
    I still use my 9900 because of BIS considering the outrageous data prices in my country
    02-07-14 03:46 AM
    I don't have time to write essays on CB or to entretain your repeated and ridiculous suggestions that I should "buy BB7"

When I put my money where my mouth is I buy the product, not the company, so please stop it.

A chink in the BES10 armour is more damaging them you think to the company that claims to have the most secure platform.

I'm sure anybody that was ready to sign on the dotted line for BES10 is rethinking their options right now and perhaps they're gonna hold on to their BB7 devices a while longer.

The Android thing was always gonna be a liability.
    Am i to translate that you cant be bothered to respond fully to points ? fair enough its your choice, however it may impact the way other individuals percieve the validity of your own points.

hmm and why is it ridiculous? because deep down you know theres no future in BB7 but at present aren't willing to accept it? because of the various arguments people have used to try to show you that whislt BB10 is not perfect, its more of a future And Present than BB07 ?

your mouth has spoken about B07 as a whole, the title isn't why i bought BB7 over BB10, its why as a whole the sales differed, so your money shouldn't go on the individual it should also go on the whole? but at least you seem to be accepting the facts since you see it is a ridiculous thing to do and would be a waste of your money and time.

really you're sure ? would you present your evidence that leads you to say that companies who were going to upgrade have backtracked ? a small company may be more likely to but the big ones would not bother themsleves with an issue of which a solution has already been presented

really? because on the whole I think its gone really well, i expected to see a lot more issues involving privacy and apps stealing data and andorid apps just in general messing with BB10 phones, but apart from a few individual cases, and this last widespread BES issue (not affecting consumer products) where exactly is this liability you're seeing?

i wonder what youll pick to respond to this time... ohh the anticipation..
    02-07-14 04:37 AM
    I still use my 9900 because of BIS considering the outrageous data prices in my country
    which country is that?
    02-07-14 04:38 AM
    Am i to translate that you cant be bothered to respond fully to points ? fair enough its your choice, however it may impact the way other individuals percieve the validity of your own points.

hmm and why is it ridiculous? because deep down you know theres no future in BB7 but at present aren't willing to accept it? because of the various arguments people have used to try to show you that whislt BB10 is not perfect, its more of a future And Present than BB07 ?

your mouth has spoken about B07 as a whole, the title isn't why i bought BB7 over BB10, its why as a whole the sales differed, so your money shouldn't go on the individual it should also go on the whole? but at least you seem to be accepting the facts since you see it is a ridiculous thing to do and would be a waste of your money and time.

really you're sure ? would you present your evidence that leads you to say that companies who were going to upgrade have backtracked ? a small company may be more likely to but the big ones would not bother themsleves with an issue of which a solution has already been presented

really? because on the whole I think its gone really well, i expected to see a lot more issues involving privacy and apps stealing data and andorid apps just in general messing with BB10 phones, but apart from a few individual cases, and this last widespread BES issue (not affecting consumer products) where exactly is this liability you're seeing?

i wonder what youll pick to respond to this time... ohh the anticipation..
    Yes, you're right, I can't be bothered responding point by point to somebody so confrontational.

Regardless of our opinions on this subject, the numbers speak louder. Perhaps in a year we'll have a different conversation, not today though, you can't dispute the numbers.

Over and out.

bobauckland likes this.
    02-07-14 04:43 AM

What is the source for those numbers please?
    02-07-14 08:48 AM
    BlackBerry World now contains over 130,000 BB10 apps | NDTV Gadgets sorry i didnt include the link before was rushing.
    Omnitech likes this.
    02-07-14 09:20 AM
    "Interestingly, BlackBerry has also been adding BlackBerry 7 apps at a rapid clip, with Saunders revealing that the total number of apps (BlackBerry 10 + BlackBerry 7 OS combined) now stood at 256,668."

Who was it that said BB7 developers are leaving fast?

Looks like BB7 apps are still increasing.

02-07-14 09:26 AM
1,393 ... 53545556