I started a thread on here a few weeks ago to find a solution to the email issue which seems to be affecting quite a few people
    Posted via CB10
    Just out if interest is that an ActiveSync account?

The official release of software release 10.2.1.537 seems to have a nasty bug where it starts to tell ActiveSync that the security policy hasn't been applied (when it has) so ActiveSync wants your password to start synchronising the account all over again, is that the one?

Very poor of BlackBerry and the carriers to not have caught this one in testing. What has happened to QA nowadays?!?

Fortunately for me and my users it doesn't affect BB10 phones using ActiveSync through BES10 or I'd be blocking updates to this version of the OS and evaluating Windows Phones!

On your battery and reception issues, have you looked in to selling the Z10 and putting the money towards a Z30? The antenna and battery life improvements are worth the upgrade alone. Then there's the beautiful feel and build quality of the phone, the extra screen real estate and the fantastic speakers. All things you can enjoy in everyday use.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 / 10.2.1.1925 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2
    02-02-14 04:54 PM
    Just out if interest is that an ActiveSync account?

The official release of software release 10.2.1.537 seems to have a nasty bug where it starts to tell ActiveSync that the security policy hasn't been applied (when it has) so ActiveSync wants your password to start synchronising the account all over again, is that the one?

Very poor of BlackBerry and the carriers to not have caught this one in testing. What has happened to QA nowadays?!?

Fortunately for me and my users it doesn't affect BB10 phones using ActiveSync through BES10 or I'd be blocking updates to this version of the OS and evaluating Windows Phones!

On your battery and reception issues, have you looked in to selling the Z10 and putting the money towards a Z30? The antenna and battery life improvements are worth the upgrade alone. Then there's the beautiful feel and build quality of the phone, the extra screen real estate and the fantastic speakers. All things you can enjoy in everyday use.

The email accounts are aol, Gmail and Yahoo. Just ordinary accounts.

Selling the phone isn't really something I could do. It was a gift from BlackBerry and it's something I will keep....probably even when it no longer works . And with me not being able to work now, I'm living on a tiny private pension, pulled early, and don't really have the money to get another one.

I'm hoping the signal issues are related to O2 getting 4g out....work on masts getting ready for 4g. I won't know till winter is over whether the signal has improved as I haven't left the house for a while to test it again. But my situation dictates that I might have to change back if there isn't an improvement.

Thanks for the suggestions

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 05:06 PM
    This thread is about the old OS and the new OS. OS7 and OS10. So, go to the right place to deal with your problem in the right place.
    The phone has got full Blackberry support as given to others at the launch.
    I started a thread on here a few weeks ago....
    F.y.i. in my first 10 or 20 posts I had to blast back at CB oldtimers who thought I was a troll when I posted about problems. So there !

No harm done. It isn't a new tactic that I invented.
    ... whine...
    F.y.i. I have three phones. A Z10, a Z30 and a third phone that is pay-as-you-go on another carrier. So compared to you my friend, I have massively more secure connection capability at all times in all regions. Don't get a Z30. Just get a second "emergency" phone and use it once per semester just to keep it active. Keep it charged at all times. Duh. As if you needed to read it here -- I'm sure you already know how to do this.
    Compared to you my friend, I have a massive number of problems that are more serious than your problem. But I haven't posted any information yet about my situation.

....in case I break down and can't run the engine to charge a flat phone battery... So you see.... I am a ... who needs to rely on their phones more than able bodied people do ...
    You are over-relying on a single device.

Now, back to the Email Password problem: I had this problem too and I solved it. Perhaps it was (in my phone) a less-serious problem than in your case. In some Other Thread, this can be discussed.

Now, back to the Sales Declared by BB for the OS7 and the OS10 devices, we re-begin the discussion.

If you are considering dropping BB OS10, congratulations for thinking thoughts and congratulations for posting about them in the right place. This thread is about Sales Declared.
    02-02-14 05:12 PM
    Because there are many choices + scarce marketing attempts made by them.
    Last edited by sheailewis1; 02-02-14 at 05:31 PM.
    02-02-14 05:13 PM
    This thread is about the old OS and the new OS. OS7 and OS10. So, go to the right place to deal with your problem in the right place.

F.y.i. in my first 10 or 20 posts I had to blast back at CB oldtimers who thought I was a troll when I posted about problems. So there !

No harm done. It isn't a new tactic that I invented.

F.y.i. I have three phones. A Z10, a Z30 and a third phone that is pay-as-you-go on another carrier. So compared to you my friend, I have massively more secure connection capability at all times in all regions. Don't get a Z30. Just get a second "emergency" phone and use it once per semester just to keep it active. Keep it charged at all times. Duh. As if you needed to read it here -- I'm sure you already know how to do this.
    Compared to you my friend, I have a massive number of problems that are more serious than your problem. But I haven't posted any information yet about my situation.

You are over-relying on a single device.

Now, back to the Email Password problem: I had this problem too and I solved it. Perhaps it was (in my phone) a less-serious problem than in your case. In some Other Thread, this can be discussed.

Now, back to the Sales Declared by BB for the OS7 and the OS10 devices, we re-begin the discussion.
    As I said in answer to one post...Im not looking for a solution. I mentioned why I might change back to OS as part of the debate....in answer to not being just a dinosaur but actually having a reason to change. And, I am not pro OS and against BB10.

And maybe the old timers had a point.....

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 05:20 PM
    I'll put it to you this way, two people that were big BB fans and spent countless hours helping people out on the BB Facebook page were rewarded with invitations to the London office and later the launch (where everybody got a free Z10 so no special treatment there)

Yet both of them are very disappointed with bb10, one is considering going back to BBOS and the other has already gone back up BBOS.

Coincidence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Two points :

1. Early models seem to be less reliable then models further down the production chain.

2. You seem to be heavily invested in BBOS , emotionally and intellectually, and on some level do not really want BB10 to succeed. BBOS seems to be a hobby of yours and you might be lamenting the fact that your knowledge and expertise may soon be not required.
    johnnyuk and MarsupilamiX like this.
    02-02-14 05:39 PM
    Two points :

1. Early models seem to be less reliable then models further down the production chain.

2. You seem to be heavily invested in BBOS , emotionally and intellectually, and on some level do not really want BB10 to succeed. BBOS seems to be a hobby of yours and you might be lamenting the fact that your knowledge and expertise may soon be not required.
    2. Is that why I used my upgrade on a Q10 even after the bad experience I had with the free Z10?

02-02-14 05:49 PM
    Quite a radical idea, but if you went back and read the posts you'd see someone posted that OS users were dinosaurs, stuck in the mud or some such thing, and similar comments.
    What I said is being taken out of context. I said those who choose BBOS because of its design are dinosaurs in the modern smartphone world, not those who choose it because BB10 still has bugs that need to be fixed. That's different because then the choice is not about the design.

02-02-14 06:09 PM
    Get your cell phone carrier to exchange the phone.
    Get them to bring high level resources involved.

Your "daily" refresh of passwords is not a problem of the device per se (z10) nor a problem of the OS per se.

Actually there is a known issue with this. It tends to happen with POP and IMAP accounts.

There are 3 known catalysts:

1. POP accounts that have multiple endpoints polling the server concurrently. IE client contention.
    2. Unreliable or flip/flopping internet links will often cause the password error warning.
    3. Certain email providers tend to reject connections in conditions they deem "suspicious". IE if you flip from carrier internet service to WiFi, your IP address changes and may try to reopen an existing email session. Gmail will reject that connection attempt, and this will throw the password error. BB10's changes to the email setup in OS 10.1.0.4xxx (10.1 MR) greatly improved this by incorporating GMail's proprietary "application specific password" feature. Yahoo also seems to suffer from a similiar issue.

Note that because of the way many people use their phones, they may flip from carrier internet to WiFi very frequently and without having any knowledge of it.

This can be addressed to a great extent by changing user practices.

However the root cause seems to be poor engineering on BlackBerry's part, IMHO.

And no documentation of this or warnings in the OS or documents about what to expect certainly don't help. See prior comments about my opinion of BlackBerry's poor communications.
    lnichols, johnnyuk, afl777 and 1 others like this.
    02-02-14 06:10 PM
    Them on what information did you base that strong statement in the previous post? You made it sound like you're talking about concrete information not just your opinion.

Anyone who works in the industry and looks at the trends objectively can see this. It is not rocket-science.

A few months ago I converted a small business that had been using POP mail for years over to something more modern and richly functional. Most businesses made a similiar shift years ago. This is the trend, whether you want to believe it or not.

There were a few posts on another thread from someone who was there at the time, and the BB10 team and the OS7 team simply didn't talk.

My take on his words was that the BB10 guys thought they were building "the future", were lauded internally, and didn't feel they had anything to learn from those dead-wood legacy guys sitting in the corner. OK, that's my maybe over-harsh take on what he wrote... but it might explain why so many legacy "must-haves" and shortcuts were omitted from BB10 at the outset.

I saw that comment in that thread recently and followed-up to it. As an outsider looking-in I came to essentially the same conclusion. Clearly a bunch of basic functionality was re-written from scratch by people who had no experience in such areas, and as such they made a bunch of stupid amateur mistakes in areas that BlackBerry had already figured out years before.

Luckily this is fixable if Chen knows what he's doing. Unluckily, those things just added to the reasons why BB10 flopped, and their window of opportunity to get the ship righted is closing fast, if they still want to eventually compete in the consumer market.
    02-02-14 06:21 PM
    I could be wrong but I think going back to add missing core functionality will be much harder then coding them in from the very beginning. Is that why perhaps it's taking BB so long to add a few of them back?

Adding back custom notifications and APIs giving 3rd-party apps access to things they had access to in legacy OS is not very difficult. WAY easier than trying to "modernize" BBOS.

The problem is that those were intentional decisions made by a company which was rather clueless about the value of those things. And it didn't help that they took a sort of "scorched earth" policy wrt to the legacy platform architecture and staff input, and had things apparently re-written from scratch by people that either had little input from the legacy OS designers and/or had little experience with building such types of products themselves, and were basically winging-it.

As an example of a dumb regression, in BBOS the 3rd-party notification apps had fine control over the color of the famous BlackBerry LED notification indicator. In BB10 they can only set it to one of 8 specific colors.

Clearly someone thought it was stupid to have anything more than that. Same thing with custom notification profiles. Same thing with seeing incoming Caller ID. Etc etc.

Company executives have been quoted as saying that they were trying to make BB10 "simpler". They specifically tried to reduce the number of configurable options - taking Apple as a model - because the thinking was that BBOS was "too confusing" for the mass market. Instead what they did was alienate legacy users in those areas, while at the same time never actually achieving the smooth simplicity that Apple's UI designs are famous for.

So they attempted to replicate someone else's model without actually having the expertise or understanding of how to achieve it, other than simplistic aping of a limited number of external characteristics. (ie "reduce the number of menus") That's an engineering/design failure.
    johnnyuk, Davidro1 and JeepBB like this.
    02-02-14 06:32 PM
    The email accounts are aol, Gmail and Yahoo. Just ordinary accounts.
    I use free Gmail and Yahoo account on both a Z10 and Z30 and I don't experience the problem of having to re-enter my password every day. It has happened a few times though, maybe once every couple of months. I wonder what's different about your phone and accounts for it to ask every day. They are the free accounts and not paid ones?

Selling the phone isn't really something I could do. It was a gift from BlackBerry and it's something I will keep....probably even when it no longer works
    Of course, I can quite understand that. I got a baseball cap from BlackBerry just over a year ago and I'll be leaving even just that to someone in my will !! If BlackBerry gave me a phone at a launch event the sentimental attachment for me would be unreal

I'm hoping the signal issues are related to O2 getting 4g out....work on masts getting ready for 4g. I won't know till winter is over whether the signal has improved as I haven't left the house for a while to test it again. But my situation dictates that I might have to change back if there isn't an improvement.

Thanks for the suggestions
    Yes I've read a few posts about O2's 3G signal disappearing off the map in areas where they are upgrading to 4G and I would hope that's just while they are doing the work as they have a long way to go with customers on 3G handsets and tariffs yet before they start switching them off! Lol

4G on O2 hasn't hit my home town yet for my Z30 but it did last Autumn for my work Z10 on EE so I have been able to test it out. I'm a little disappointed so far I have to say. It's consistently only about 500Kbps quicker than Orange 3G here. However when you are getting speeds of 6/7Mbps on 3G on a phone in a small town in a rural county you shouldn't really be complaining too much!

02-02-14 06:47 PM
    Adding back custom notifications and APIs giving 3rd-party apps access to things they had access to in legacy OS is not very difficult. WAY easier than trying to "modernize" BBOS.

The problem is that those were intentional decisions made by a company which was rather clueless about the value of those things. And it didn't help that they took a sort of "scorched earth" policy wrt to the legacy platform architecture and staff input, and had things apparently re-written from scratch by people that either had little input from the legacy OS designers and/or had little experience with building such types of products themselves, and were basically winging-it.

As an example of a dumb regression, in BBOS the 3rd-party notification apps had fine control over the color of the famous BlackBerry LED notification indicator. In BB10 they can only set it to one of 8 specific colors.

Clearly someone thought it was stupid to have anything more than that. Same thing with custom notification profiles. Same thing with seeing incoming Caller ID. Etc etc.

Company executives have been quoted as saying that they were trying to make BB10 "simpler". They specifically tried to reduce the number of configurable options - taking Apple as a model - because the thinking was that BBOS was "too confusing" for the mass market. Instead what they did was alienate legacy users in those areas, while at the same time never actually achieving the smooth simplicity that Apple's UI designs are famous for.

So they attempted to replicate someone else's model without actually having the expertise or understanding of how to achieve it, other than simplistic aping of a limited number of external characteristics. (ie "reduce the number of menus") That's an engineering/design failure.
    You probably don't know but in latest 9900 builds led colours became native directly in the notification settings, third party apps were no longer needed for it. Makes BB10 a even bigger step backwards in notifications.

02-02-14 06:49 PM
    They find all touch screen swiping gestures to be a "think point" because of their lack of exposure to other mobile platforms and are programmed to feel like they need to push a physical button to answer a call, and to do everything else. It's a big learning curve for stalwarts and stuck in the muds who buried themselves away in a BBOS cave while the world moved on around them.

I'm going to partially disagree here.

I thought the original BB10 phone call screen was horrible, and on a Z10 the "swipe up" gesture to answer a call was a PITA. Because it is a L-O-N-G gesture and you have to use two hands to do it while the phone is firmly gripped stationary in one hand while s-w-i-p-i-n-g u-p with the second.

So I like this new screen because the gesture is "smaller", and potentially even one-handable. (I haven't tested much yet because I have 10.2.1 on my "test" device, I haven't migrated my daily driver to 10.2.1 yet.)

Whereas with my 9650 and 9630 I could easily just pip the answer button from whatever I was doing, one-handed, even in the dark. That's a clear win for the "old-school" way, IMHO.

Furthermore, I have never in over 20 years of owning mobile phones had as many "pocket dials" as I have had with my Z10. The way the touchscreen is designed makes it WAY too easy to accidentially hit the phone button in the lower left corner of the screen and end up dialing someone you didn't want to dial.

This is something that, once again, I think is easily fixable with a little thought and engineering. But in many ways I think the UI people at BlackBery are sort of clueless about a lot of these sorts of things. (Which probably explains why cursor control is so crappy, too. Touch UI cursor control does NOT have to be that dicey.)
    02-02-14 06:49 PM
    I started a thread on here a few weeks ago to find a solution to the email issue which seems to be affecting quite a few people but had some pleasant character trolling till I left the thread. I mention in this,I presumed, debate thread why I would go back to OS and have been jumped on again by two people making assumptions.

Was no need to start a new thread, I wish the moderators were more on top of these things. Here are existing threads about the issue:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ssword-809592/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tantly-819510/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rompts-803776/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l-help-811310/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...h-wifi-807928/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ed-yet-800332/
    02-02-14 07:09 PM
    I'm going to partially disagree here.

I thought the original BB10 phone call screen was horrible, and on a Z10 the "swipe up" gesture to answer a call was a PITA. Because it is a L-O-N-G gesture and you have to use two hands to do it while the phone is firmly gripped stationary in one hand while s-w-i-p-i-n-g u-p with the second.
    There's something odd about how people recall the original call Answer/Reject gesture that I've noticed on here, lots of people remember it the wrong way around! It was swipe down to answer and swipe up to reject!

I've said in other threads when the new Android-like call screen was first seen in the 1925 leak that I could see why they viewed the Answer/Reject as a "think point".

When I first tried a Z10 and called it from another phone I couldn't immediately get the gesture right for answering. It wasn't intuitively obviously that you had to hold and drag the grey bar down so I was swiping where the down arrows were and not the grey bar. However once I realised, I found it easy and I liked it because it was different to other mainstream phones. And I've never needed two hands to do it on a Z10, one thumb is enough for me.

I have however seen countless other people make the same mistake I made swiping at the arrows instead of the grey bar at first at work. So the obvious change to make would be to make swiping at the arrows also work for dragging the grey bar down, or up, not change the whole thing completely.

I've heard people say oh it had to be changed for the bigger screen of the Z30 but I've been using 10.2.0 for a month on my Z30 and swiping the bar down from the middle of the screen was no problem for me. I'd be fine with them moving the grey bar down to make both gestures easier to perform from the bottom of the phone and again make swiping the arrows also perform the gestures.

So I like this new screen because the gesture is "smaller", and potentially even one-handable. (I haven't tested much yet because I have 10.2.1 on my "test" device, I haven't migrated my daily driver to 10.2.1 yet.)
    For me I find the new call screen less easy for answering calls one handed as my natural way of holding the phone leaves my thumb above the middle of the screen, where the old grey bar used to appear. So now I have to reach down and squash my thumb down towards my hand to answer a call, less comfortable.

It also failed the "think point" test with the first user I showed it to. She thought the arrows were directing her to tap the bottom left corner of the screen to answer the call, not drag the grey circle to the left. It hasn't made it more intuitive, it's just made it familiar IF you have already used an Android phone that happened to be similar so you've already had to learn by trial error how to answer a call. I'm not sure that counts as a fix.

It's going to take a big green Answer button and a big red Reject button on screen to solve this problem I fear!

Furthermore, I have never in over 20 years of owning mobile phones had as many "pocket dials" as I have had with my Z10. The way the touchscreen is designed makes it WAY too easy to accidentially hit the phone button in the lower left corner of the screen and end up dialing someone you didn't want to dial.
    I've never had mine pocket dial on me. Do you not lock the screen before pocketing? And have a password on it so if it unlocks in your pocket it's at the password screen? That's my setup.

But in many ways I think the UI people at BlackBery are sort of clueless about a lot of these sorts of things. (Which probably explains why cursor control is so crappy, too. Touch UI cursor control does NOT have to be that dicey.)
    Are you thinking of Apple's iOS as an example of how to get touch screen cursor control right? I find their bubble cursor positioner to be very good but text selection and manipulation to be a fiddly nightmare! There are good points and bad points about cursor and text manipulation on every all touch platform I've used to be honest. Nobody has got it all worked out yet.

02-02-14 07:22 PM
    Actually there is a known issue with this. It tends to happen with POP and IMAP accounts.

Certain email providers tend to reject connections in conditions they deem "suspicious". IE if you flip from carrier internet service to WiFi, your IP address changes and may try to reopen an existing email session. Gmail will reject that connection attempt, and this will throw the password error. BB10's changes to the email setup in OS 10.1.0.4xxx (10.1 MR) greatly improved this by incorporating GMail's proprietary "application specific password" feature. Yahoo also seems to suffer from a similiar issue.
    That's useful info. And it's probably what happens to mine on the rare occasions when I get prompted for my Yahoo account password unexpectedly. Now and again I'll be switching between several different Internet connections all with WiFi at work but different external IP addresses. I'm sure that all adds up to suspicious activity and a lock out until I put my password back in to prove who I am.

02-02-14 07:31 PM
    There's something odd about how people recall the original call Answer/Reject gesture that I've noticed on here, lots of people remember it the wrong way around! It was swipe down to answer and swipe up to reject!

Well then maybe I reject more calls than I answer.

I've never had mine pocket dial on me. Do you not lock the screen before pocketing? And have a password on it so if it unlocks in your pocket it's at the password screen? That's my setup.

I do not explicitly lock the device because that is a ridiculous waste of time to do that whenever I stop using it. This is also why I have a relatively long lock timeout - it's bad enough to have to enter a code every single time I pick up the device after a 30 minute delay - if I had to do that every 2 minutes I would go insane.

FWIW - I DO NOT EVER put the device in my pocket, no interest in microwaving my gonads or crushing/scratching the phone. I was using the term as a common colloquialism for "making phone calls by mistake". Since I never had to lock my phones in the past in order to avoid pocket dialing, I don't know why I should be constantly locking THIS one just to fix a bad UI design. ALL THEY WOULD HAVE TO DO is incorporate a SHORT delay or require a SHORT persistent pressure on a single button to initiate a phone call. That would solve the problem immediately. As it is, all I have to do is barely brush across that icon and I have dialed someone by mistake.

This, to me, is a good example of the cluelessness of the UI devs at BlackBerry.

Are you thinking of Apple's iOS as an example of how to get touch screen cursor control right? I find their bubble cursor positioner to be very good but text selection and manipulation to be a fiddly nightmare! There are good points and bad points about cursor and text manipulation on every all touch platform I've used to be honest. Nobody has got it all worked out yet.

I'm comparing it mostly to Android. That includes my Android tablet and using the Android runtime in BB10. All you have to do is run an Android app on your BB10 device that accepts text input, to make an A/B comparison of how much less fiddly their cursor management/copy-paste is compared to BB10 native.
    02-02-14 07:37 PM
    It looks like the sales failure of OS10 in 2013 was due to poor marketing, and an internal BB failure to make OS10 technically good enough, and poor communications. Many problems.

I think the failure to make OS10 technically good enough
    was largely due to the people -- who may have been imported.

Re loss of functions:
    It looks like decisions made by People who were clueless about the value of those things, and I'll guess these were imported people mandated to ignore input from old-timers.
    … "scorched earth" policy wrt to the legacy platform architecture and staff input …. basically winging-it ….
    … the UI people … clueless about a lot … probably explains why cursor control…..
    Re functionality of OS10:
    It does seem to me also that
    … basic functionality was re-written from scratch by people who had no experience in such areas … Luckily this is fixable ...
    Re Email Passwords (an OS10 problem):
    … cause seems to be poor engineering … And no documentation of this or warnings in the OS or documents about what to expect ... poor communications.
    02-02-14 08:11 PM
    Well then maybe I reject more calls than I answer.
    Or you must have wondered why so many people had hung up on you when you put the phone to your head to speak!

I do not explicitly lock the device because that is a ridiculous waste of time to do that whenever I stop using it. This is also why I have a relatively long lock timeout - it's bad enough to have to enter a code every single time I pick up the device after a 30 minute delay - if I had to do that every 2 minutes I would go insane.
    Is turning the screen off with the top edge button not enough to help? I must admit I have got in to the habit of pressing the top edge button to turn the screen off first whenever I put the phone down or put it in a coat pocket. I think that avoids the problem for me.

On my Z30 I'm forever accidentally activating Voice Control. The button is way too sensitive and the positioning of it is further down the side of the phone compared to the Z10, right where I put my hand to pick the thing up!

02-02-14 08:14 PM
    Is turning the screen off with the top edge button not enough to help?

Since that only turns the screen off and does not lock the device, it doesn't prevent it from receiving accidental input.

My display timeout is set to 60 seconds. I'm guessing the majority of time this happens is when I have recently used the device and the 60 second period has not yet elapsed, and I brush the screen with the corner of a finger or something when I'm walking around. I suppose it could also happen after display timeout if I brush up and wake up the screen, though that would seem much harder to do.

I must admit I have got in to the habit of pressing the top edge button to turn the screen off first whenever I put the phone down or put it in a coat pocket. I think that avoids the problem for me.

I do that a lot myself (if for no other reason than minimize battery drain), though not every single time I do anything on the phone. That would be a rather difficult task to undertake every single time you touch the device.

On my Z30 I'm forever accidentally activating Voice Control. The button is way too sensitive and the positioning of it is further down the side of the phone compared to the Z10, right where I put my hand to pick the thing up!

On my wishlist are more programmable buttons and more user control over how they operate. For example, how simple would it be to give the user the option of setting a configurable action delay - say 500ms - on that voice control button, instead of reacting instantaneously to a touch, if a user found themselves activating it by mistake all the time?
    02-02-14 10:05 PM
    You probably don't know but in latest 9900 builds led colours became native directly in the notification settings, third party apps were no longer needed for it. Makes BB10 a even bigger step backwards in notifications.

Not replying for him, but It seems there's a clear pattern here where you find a reason to disregard the entirety of someone's post and want to misdirected to a minor issue which people then engange in, and the original message gets lost/forgotten,

How does his knowledge of native led functionally affect his point? But thanks for bringing up that it was only in the latest that this became available, in BB10 it became available (however limited) in under a year, so there's progress towards (where possible) building in what legacy taught blackberry, using the house analogy, bit by bit their taking the sink/washer from the old house and putting it in the new (As long as it fits) what they won't and shouldn't do is give up the new house and waste money trying to fix the old one again..

I don't think these little features (call screen, etc) make or break sales, it's putting the device in people's minds, which is happening much slowly than it should and it seems at the moment the only place Chen is pushing it on minds is enterprise and possibly QNX, bbm and devices, not so much. Maybe this changes with the Jakarta and possibly new Q launch as well as the next version of bbm launch, we'll wait and see

However I do see the benefits of sorting out this simple little issues as people will have less to complain out and be less annoyed by the device.. for BlackBerry to successful alter it's brand image in the device arena, annoyance needs to be kept minimal..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    johnnyuk likes this.
    02-03-14 12:10 AM
    Not replying for him, but It seems there's a clear pattern here where you find a reason to disregard the entirety of someone's post and want to misdirected to a minor issue which people then engange in, and the original message gets lost/forgotten,

How does his knowledge of native led functionally affect his point? But thanks for bringing up that it was only in the latest that this became available, in BB10 it became available (however limited) in under a year, so there's progress towards (where possible) building in what legacy taught blackberry, using the house analogy, bit by bit their taking the sink/washer from the old house and putting it in the new (As long as it fits) what they won't and shouldn't do is give up the new house and waste money trying to fix the old one again..

I don't think these little features (call screen, etc) make or break sales, it's putting the device in people's minds, which is happening much slowly than it should and it seems at the moment the only place Chen is pushing it on minds is enterprise and possibly QNX, bbm and devices, not so much. Maybe this changes with the Jakarta and possibly new Q launch as well as the next version of bbm launch, we'll wait and see

However I do see the benefits of sorting out this simple little issues as people will have less to complain out and be less annoyed by the device.. for BlackBerry to successful alter it's brand image in the device arena, annoyance needs to be kept minimal..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Because he never owned a BB7 device, so he wouldn't know about it.

And by the way, it's not available on BB10 yet natively.

bobauckland likes this.
    02-03-14 12:36 AM
    Because he never owned a BB7 device, so he wouldn't know about it.

And by the way, it's not available on BB10 yet natively.

Loool, okay, you can't know about Google Glass because you don't own one.. you can't know about Porsche Design p'9982 because you don't own one..

Correct me if I'm wrong but natively the furthest it ever got was different led for different TYPES of stimulus (text, bbm email etc) it never got as far as contacts, so third party apps would still be desirable..

If you read the brackets, I said 'however limited' from 10.0 to now, there's been an addition to the options concerning LED management..

Stop looking at bb10 with legacy eyes and you'll see what an amazing device it is, the addition of legacy features (where/if possible) is just a bonus, if you cant see that then that's fine, the biggest single reason most legacy devices are still selling (a number which is DECLINING) is price and soon even that won't be enough.. I'll repeat, (as many have) selling millions doesn't mean anything, not only in light of the entire smart phone market, but also in light of the multi millions they used to sell..

I would suggest that you raise some money, find some crazy investors, and make an offer to buy the legacy part of BlackBerry, go and make it a success prove everyone wrong and keep the devices you want alive

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Davidro1 likes this.
    02-03-14 02:48 AM
    Since that only turns the screen off and does not lock the device, it doesn't prevent it from receiving accidental input.

My display timeout is set to 60 seconds. I'm guessing the majority of time this happens is when I have recently used the device and the 60 second period has not yet elapsed, and I brush the screen with the corner of a finger or something when I'm walking around. I suppose it could also happen after display timeout if I brush up and wake up the screen, though that would seem much harder to do.

I do that a lot myself (if for no other reason than minimize battery drain), though not every single time I do anything on the phone. That would be a rather difficult task to undertake every single time you touch the device.
    I'm not sure we're on the same page here good buddy. When I the turn the screen off with the top edge button to use it again I either have to press the button again or swipe up the phone. It won't accept any input until I do one of those two things.

Personally I don't find that difficult, it's become routine for me, as like you, I like to preserve battery life when I've finished using it.

02-03-14 03:21 AM
1,393 ... 4950515253 ...