We just shifted completely to bb10. People like the new devices.

Some features are missing but bb10 gets better with every release.

We are a little company with 500 employees.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    01-29-14 01:27 AM
    Your personal Yahoo isn't business grade and isn't meant to be. I have a Yahoo mail account that I use as my mail for purchases and it fills with Spam. I migrated for real personal email to Gmail, and added outlook.com as another option. I don't sync Yahoo with the phone because it is garbage. I still play fantasy football with the account but Yahoo only supported POP for a while unless you paid more and I found free, better options.

Posted via CB10
    Is imap idle not "business grade"? Since when?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    01-29-14 01:28 AM
    Os7 does what they require.
    1) Its a better PHONE than anything else available. Note I say phone not media platform.
    2) BIS saves people money who travel between borders.
    3) They bought an android or I phone and thier kids nagged the hell out of them all day to play on the damned thing. Look Mummys phone cant play games.
    4) Their son/daughter bought it for them to keep in touch.
    5) Their mum/dad bought it for them to keep in touch, they know bbm works!
    6) its for work on call purposes it needs to answer calls and perform email function and nothing more.
    7) bb10 q phones are out of their budget.
    8) they are self employed, do dirty work and keep their phone inside a plastic cover so touch phone does not work well for them.
    9) native cloud backup inc password keeper

Do nokia not still sell more symbian phones than windows phones.
    Well said !! The first point sums it all and you didn't even need to mention anything afterwards.
    I'm moving to BB10 very soon coz it is the future. but we have to give it to Blackberry for mastering the basics.

Cheers ...
    01-29-14 01:30 AM
    Back up a little, a few posts ago I was a accused of refusing to buy a more modern business grade email solution, but imap is modern? Especially imap idle?

The person I was referring-to in the comment you followed-up to was not you, it was a reference to something I said previously to someone else.

The person I was referring-to (who happens to be the person who started this thread) is a big proponent of POP email, and THAT is what I was discussing when I was discussing "modernity".

Neither was I the person who accused you of refusing to "buy a more modern business grade email solution".

Though I do think your criticism is misplaced, to put as much of a drippingly sweet candy-coating on that as possible.

And while I would agree that you seem to be paying more for a "brand" hosting service than might be possible with a "no-name" provider, I also think (as stated previously with examples) that A) you are paying too much for that service, and B) you didn't do your homework very well because your provider's services are not particularly competitive with other email hosting providers.

Not that that is particularly surprising - 1&1 is primarily a web hosting company, not an email hosting company.
    01-29-14 02:33 AM
    The person I was referring-to in the comment you followed-up to was not you, it was a reference to something I said previously to someone else.

The person I was referring-to (who happens to be the person who started this thread) is a big proponent of POP email, and THAT is what I was discussing when I was discussing "modernity".

Neither was I the person who accused you of refusing to "buy a more modern business grade email solution".

Though I do think your criticism is misplaced, to put as much of a drippingly sweet candy-coating on that as possible.

And while I would agree that you seem to be paying more for a "brand" hosting service than might be possible with a "no-name" provider, I also think (as stated previously with examples) that A) you are paying too much for that service, and B) you didn't do your homework very well because your provider's services are not particularly competitive with other email hosting providers.

Not that that is particularly surprising - 1&1 is primarily a web hosting company, not an email hosting company.
    On the other hand it hasn't skipped a beat since 2008, not even one outage. (Famous last words I know)

1and1 has been 100% reliable and I do host websites and corresponding email addresses with them, it would be foolish to buy them from separate providers.

1and1 is not the problem, BB10 is.

01-29-14 03:07 AM

Congratulations!

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    01-29-14 03:08 AM

Unrelated related but
    Did more people go for qwerty or touch? What was the distribution of devices?

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    01-29-14 03:10 AM
    On the other hand it hasn't skipped a beat since 2008, not even one outage. (Famous last words I know)

1and1 has been 100% reliable and I do host websites and corresponding email addresses with them, it would be foolish to buy them from separate providers.

Yes and I believe you said in one of the many other threads where you have complained about the exact same thing that they have an EAS option, you just won't pay extra for it.

And as for IMAP IDLE and business grade, it may have been back in the 2000s but their are reasons why everyone is switching to EAS. It provides a much better email experience to all devices, not just phones. And since most phones don't use BIS....

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 05:01 AM

It's great that they are reliable, but reliability is not the only criteria for a service provider. If they cannot provide the services you need, it makes no difference how reliable they are.

Non-sequitur.
    01-29-14 05:14 AM
    Yes and I believe you said in one of the many other threads where you have complained about the exact same thing that they have an EAS option, you just won't pay extra for it.

And as for IMAP IDLE and business grade, it may have been back in the 2000s but their are reasons why everyone is switching to EAS. It provides a much better email experience to all devices, not just phones. And since most phones don't use BIS....

Posted via CB10
    Sorry but why should I pay �9.99 per month extra per email account just to make up for BB10 deficiencies?

And I'm pretty sure imap idle was not the norm in 2000s.

Also, most phones don't use BIS but most BlackBerry phones do use BIS. Reflect in that for a minute.

01-29-14 05:16 AM

Oh, well that's interesting. ('course, when you are already over-paying for the service... )

And as for IMAP IDLE and business grade, it may have been back in the 2000s but their are reasons why everyone is switching to EAS. It provides a much better email experience to all devices, not just phones.

I won't dispute that, but the OP thinks that POP should rule the world. At least IMAP is way closer to EAS than it is to POP.
    01-29-14 05:17 AM
    Sorry but why should I pay �9.99 per month extra per email account just to make up for BB10 deficiencies?

Non-sequitur.

EAS is a superior access method no matter what the device is.

Far far richer functionality, more reliable, more battery-efficient, easier to configure, more manageable, etc etc.
    01-29-14 05:21 AM

And I'm pretty sure imap idle was not the norm in 2000s.

Also, most phones don't use BIS but most BlackBerry phones do use BIS. Reflect in that for a minute.

Yes there are more BBOS phones than BB10. But there are hundreds of Millions, maybe over a Billion more smartphones out there that don't support BIS. The Market, and even BlackBerry decided that BIS wasn't important enough to stick with it. Their major business customers obviously told them EAS and VPN was good enough. If it were such a major selling point BBOS sales wouldn't have hit a wall, BYOD wouldn't have gained traction. Reflect on that a little.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 05:24 AM
    We rolled out Z30 and Q10. 2/3 of the users chose the z30.

We rolled it out on the bes with balance policies.

No old device remaining in the company.

Rollout went flawless.
    Davidro1 likes this.
    01-29-14 05:43 AM
    Non-sequitur.

EAS is a superior access method no matter what the device is.

Far far richer functionality, more reliable, more battery-efficient, easier to configure, more manageable, etc etc.
    It's this mentality that makes people buy big SUVs to do the school run. Sure it has extra features but the only reason I would want to buy it is to have BIS equivalent fast email, I don't need all the other features.

And I'm pretty sure EAS is not more battery efficient then BiS or easier to configure.

BIS also has additional features like filters and read receipts.

01-29-14 06:09 AM
    Yes there are more BBOS phones than BB10. But there are hundreds of Millions, maybe over a Billion more smartphones out there that don't support BIS. The Market, and even BlackBerry decided that BIS wasn't important enough to stick with it. Their major business customers obviously told them EAS and VPN was good enough. If it were such a major selling point BBOS sales wouldn't have hit a wall, BYOD wouldn't have gained traction. Reflect on that a little.

Posted via CB10
    Which brings us back to the topic, BBOS devices outsell BB10 by a big margins, BB10 removed what was a big differentiator. By doing that every other platform became an option to potential users.

For consumers BB10 literally has no USP.

01-29-14 06:11 AM
    Which brings us back to the topic, BBOS devices outsell BB10 by a big margins, BB10 removed what was a big differentiator. By doing that every other platform became an option to potential users.

'By a large margin ' where do you get that from?

I think the biggest single factor was price, and im confident that if they do release figures, they will show Z10 sales have picked up after the price drop..

Your needs are quite niche, being able to get a blackberry cheap was/is one of the biggest driving factors, especially for people who change their phones a lot, the security and email etc is just a bonus..

Blackberry didn't advertise blackberry10 in the right way/at the right time and missing legacy features is more to do with user expectation vs reality than the actual features..

What's done is done, there's only so much the development team can do in terms of making bb10 like legacy.. advertising =sales, if/Chen pulls the guns out (although it seems his method is more about micro advertising (specific targeted rather than all round)) especially at the Jakarta launch then bb10 sales will pick up..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    01-29-14 06:35 AM
    'By a large margin ' where do you get that from?

I think the biggest single factor was price, and im confident that if they do release figures, they will show Z10 sales have picked up after the price drop..

Your needs are quite niche, being able to get a blackberry cheap was/is one of the biggest driving factors, especially for people who change their phones a lot, the security and email etc is just a bonus..

Blackberry didn't advertise blackberry10 in the right way/at the right time and missing legacy features is more to do with user expectation vs reality than the actual features..

What's done is done, there's only so much the development team can do in terms of making bb10 like legacy.. advertising =sales, if/Chen pulls the guns out (although it seems his method is more about micro advertising (specific targeted rather than all round)) especially at the Jakarta launch then bb10 sales will pick up..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    From BB's own sales figures, BBOS outsells BB10 3 to 1, where have you been

01-29-14 06:42 AM
    Because for some people the OS7 phones are more reliable. The data are compressed by the blackberry internet service, they won't worry about receiving a long phone bill or their data plan stopped by the carrier. And they never worry about lose their phones. OS7 phones are totally unusable if the SIM card pulled out of it.
    01-29-14 09:32 AM
    The sales of BBOS devices are slowing down. If it were an Airplane , the flight attendants would be going down the aisle picking up garbage in preparation for landing. A bad quarter for BB10 does not equate to a good quarter for BBOS.
    01-29-14 09:33 AM
    From BB's own sales figures, BBOS outsells BB10 3 to 1, where have you been

Thanks for addressing one line of my statement bb10 -DID outsell legacy for a quarter, not indefinitely

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    01-29-14 09:35 AM
    Thanks for addressing one line of my statement bb10 -DID outsell legacy for a quarter, not indefinitely

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    For the whole 2013 you mean not just a quarter. I didn't think there was anything else to address, you are entitled to your opinion

Wait what? BB10 never outsold BBOS yet, it's the other way around.

01-29-14 09:44 AM
    The sales of BBOS devices are slowing down. If it were an Airplane , the flight attendants would be going down the aisle picking up garbage in preparation for landing. A bad quarter for BB10 does not equate to a good quarter for BBOS.
    True but it shows just how bad BB10 is doing

01-29-14 09:46 AM
    And I'm pretty sure EAS is not more battery efficient then BiS or easier to configure.

BIS also has additional features like filters and read receipts.

BIS is not a protocol that anyone can use. It is a service that basically has a large server farm polling email accounts all day long. So it may be more efficient for the phone, but in the grand scheme of things it isn't more efficient in total solution as it requires middleman computing power that isn't needed with more modern protocols and smartphones.

Posted via CB10
    Omnitech, web99 and Davidro1 like this.
    01-29-14 10:09 AM

Currently 3 to 1. Considering the BBOS sales have all been cheap phones in areas that can't afford BB10.... but of course this is all been discussed countless times before and your shifting the discussion yet again.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 10:10 AM
1,393 ... 4041424344 ...