Funny, they're selling the Q5 at the same price as the Q10, I struggle to find the logic in that.
    Well there's something we can agree on although I'm not surprised they've ended up being 'free' for the same monthly price. To be honest with you I struggle to find the logic in the 'almost but not quite as expensive as the Q10' Q5 phone at all.

To me BlackBerry slipped back in to one of their old BBOS phone habits with the Q5 of designing and manufacturing a phone and then trying to work out who on earth it's supposed to be for and how they can possibly get people to buy it. It's nowhere near cheap enough to attract people at the low end and, off contract / sim free, being upper-mid priced it's so tantalisingly close to the Q10 price (60 quid in it) that if I were in the market for a BB10 physical keyboard phone (never gonna happen) I'd never choose the Q5.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2
    01-07-14 09:23 PM
    A new OS has to be tested before it's approved by the carrier, why would they allocate the resources to a phone they no longer sell?
    Because of all the ones they have already sold. They do occasionally try to keep their customers over time you know by making the "user experience" a half decent one during the length of a 2 year contract, or longer.

On the flip side of that, although I know they wouldn't operate like this, as the number of Z10s they've sold aren't Earth shattering you would think that they'd know that if BlackBerry provide them with an OS releases that does have bugs it's not going to affect very many of their customers so they could just give it a cursory run through in testing and then hit Go!

01-07-14 09:29 PM
    I didn't say they sold new devices, they still sell the Z10, new or not, so they kinda have an obligation to continue pushing through updates until they stop selling it completely, and even if they do if they are still supporting The Q's and the Z30, then they will continue to push the updates I assume it would be more effort to stop pushing it just for one of the devices than continue to roll it out across the board..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    They'll push the updates OTA at least until the last contract minimum period has ended which could be 3 or even 4 years for Business customers, assuming BlackBerry still exists and are still giving them updates to test.

Historically with BBOS BlackBerry continued to release updates with bug and security fixes to carriers for phones released 3+ years prior which were available to download from BlackBerry's website (on pages specifically for your carrier) and install yourself with Desktop Manager/Software.

In early December I received an OTA update on my Torch 9860 from O2, a phone well over 2 years old and far from a best seller.

I don't think there's anything to worry about as far as continuing to get OS updates for discontinued BB10 phones other than BlackBerry going bust or ditching the phone business completely.

Last edited by johnnyuk; 01-07-14 at 10:10 PM.
    01-07-14 09:51 PM
    The first 100 days of z10 were horrible. I bought it and returned it.
    Posted via CB10
    I tried a Z10 for a month last March and have to say my experience was extremely positive, there were bugs I know but I didn't encounter anything horrible.

I waited for the 10.1 update to be released by carriers in the UK and then placed orders for Z10s for my users at work. My first 100 days were as awesome as the next.

First rule of working in IT, never be an early adopter. Always wait for Service Pack 1.

01-07-14 09:57 PM
    Take a look at the BlackBerry site for Lebanon below - like taking a trip back in time with Dr. Who. You wants legacy OS?? WE GOTZ LEGACY OS!!

BlackBerry - Homepage - Lebanon
    Holy crap! So that's where all our old phones from work ended up!

01-07-14 10:05 PM
    Quote: "I think you're mixing up BBOS7 'booting up' with coming out of standby."

You pointed out the facts.
    I believe not a great portion of the BB users will understand,
    To most people including myself, perception is more important. They don't care if it is a full reboot or come out of stand-by.
    Pushing the power button, and tic tic tic, 3 seconds later back online to their carrier. That is a great sensation. Don't you agree?
    Last edited by indeau; 01-08-14 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Added original quote
    01-08-14 01:31 AM
    That someone is also of the nationality that is infamous for having the attention span of a goldfish.

If you're not prepared to read in depth on complicated subject matters then you're in no position to be debating them so vociferously.

First of all I'm not if the nationality you think I am, second of all that's very rude bordering on sectarianism.
    johnnyuk likes this.
    01-08-14 01:45 AM
    I think you're mixing up BBOS7 'booting up' with coming out of standby.

BBOS phones are only ever truly powered off when the battery is removed. When you press and hold the power button, while it turns off a lot of things, you are actually just putting the OS in to standby. It doesn't need to boot up at all the next time you press the power button, that's why it's so quick.

What you have to do for a real boot speed comparison between BBOS and BB10 is take the battery out of the BBOS phone and then put it back in. You will find that the BBOS phone is far far slower at booting up for real than any BB10 phone.

Turning off a BB10 device means automatic reboot. I don't think he's confusing anything, he didn't ask for a reboot speed comparison.
    01-08-14 01:52 AM
    Quote: "I think you're mixing up BBOS7 'booting up' with coming out of standby."

To most people including myself, perception is more important. They don't care if it is a full reboot or come out of stand-by.
    Pushing the power button, and tic tic tic, 3 seconds later back online to their carrier. That is a great sensation. Don't you agree?
    Also the ability to program it to turn on/off at certain times and the reassurance that the alarm will still ring even if it's off.
    01-08-14 01:54 AM
    They will for the next couple of years at least. They'll have shipped a load to business customers too that they have to continue to support. And they will actually have a lot of Z10s still in stock somewhere for insurance replacements for business customers. Also UK carrier tests for new phone OS releases aren't as onerous and long winded as in the US so it's not such a burden on them.

The more worrying things for BB10 going in to 2014 are the dwindling availability of the Z10 on the high street, given that it's now heavily discounted and theoretically a more sellable proposition, combined with Vodafone being the only carrier of the Z30...but for how long until they drop it?

The Jakarta phone isn't going to come soon enough to fill the low end BB10 all touch gap I fear. It certainly flippin' well should be coming to the UK anyway if BlackBerry are at all serious about increasing the BB10 user base, consumer or enterprise.

They have a lot of Z10s in stock, the returned ones, that's why they're selling them as "nearly new".
    01-08-14 01:57 AM

But that's a false perception... it's a new handset you shouldn't treat it like Os7 , restarting on bb10 doesn't take as long as when you pull the battery out..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    01-08-14 05:29 AM
    First of all I'm not if the nationality you think I am, second of all that's very rude bordering on sectarianism.
    But he didn't say anything about what nationality you are from? He was talking about the origins of the quote, and not reading someone's post is kinda rude too.. just saying

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Davidro1, Omnitech and johnnyuk like this.
    01-08-14 05:30 AM
    Also the ability to program it to turn on/off at certain times and the reassurance that the alarm will still ring even if it's off.
    Those last two features I can agree should come to bb10, although I still don't understand their necessity, z30 awesome battery life..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    01-08-14 05:32 AM
    They have a lot of Z10s in stock, the returned ones, that's why they're selling them as "nearly new".
    Did you call them and ask?

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    01-08-14 05:32 AM
    Did you call them and ask?

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    It's only logic, they don't sell them new anymore, they only sell the "nearly new" Z10s and the explanation for "nearly new" Z10s given on the website is "returned within 7 days" which is the return policy for UK, we don't get 30 days to try out a device
    01-08-14 06:06 AM
    But he didn't say anything about what nationality you are from? He was talking about the origins of the quote, and not reading someone's post is kinda rude too.. just saying

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    He basically insulted the Irish, just as well I'm not Irish, or I would've been pretty mad. I still find it insulting though.
    01-08-14 06:08 AM
    Those last two features I can agree should come to bb10, although I still don't understand their necessity, z30 awesome battery life..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    It will not come to BB10, Michael Clewey (I think that's his name) declared it "too complex to implement" a few months back.
    01-08-14 06:14 AM
    It will not come to BB10, Michael Clewey (I think that's his name) declared it "too complex to implement" a few months back.
    Then it's a sacrifice BlackBerry should let the individual know is worth the power of #BB10

To save post space ;

Returned within 7 days is not an explanation, it's an incentive to let customers know that the phones are almost new...

I assumed that it was because they wanted to get rid of this kind of stock before they sell the rest of the stock

However,it was presented that it could be they have sold out their bb10 stock and their not willing to purchase anymore, before I'm called a die-hard fan, selling out of stock if you had little stock to begin with is not good news either..

Both theories are plausible unless it can be presented otherwise (writing without 'you' is hard) , which is why I asked if you had called to confirm your theory

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    01-08-14 06:20 AM
    Then it's a sacrifice BlackBerry should let the individual know is worth the power of #BB10

To save post space ;

Returned within 7 days is not an explanation, it's an incentive to let customers know that the phones are almost new...

I assumed that it was because they wanted to get rid of this kind of stock before they sell the rest of the stock

However,it was presented that it could be they have sold out their bb10 stock and their not willing to purchase anymore, before I'm called a die-hard fan, selling out of stock if you had little stock to begin with is not good news either..

Both theories are plausible unless it can be presented otherwise (writing without 'you' is hard) , which is why I asked if you had called to confirm your theory

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    It's not a theory, it's what it is at Vodafone UK, I'm not reading between the lines, you can have a look for yourself
    01-08-14 06:23 AM
    It's not a theory, it's what it is at Vodafone UK, I'm not reading between the lines, you can have a look for yourself
    Unless you've come by some more information, we're looking at the same info, so if you can tell me what I'm missing that says the definite reason?

Also idk what xp you've had but I've never heard of a 7 day return, I've always been informed it's a month, like I said, the 7 day is more about marketing than official guidelines... ?

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    01-08-14 10:15 AM
    Unless you've come by some more information, we're looking at the same info, so if you can tell me what I'm missing that says the definite reason?

Also idk what xp you've had but I've never heard of a 7 day return, I've always been informed it's a month, like I said, the 7 day is more about marketing than official guidelines... ?

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    You're making the assumption for a reason, not me, I'm just telling you what the situation is.

I don't ever remember a 30 return policy In UK, it's always been 7 days.
    01-08-14 10:37 AM
    You're making the assumption for a reason, not me, I'm just telling you what the situation is.

I don't ever remember a 30 return policy In UK, it's always been 7 days.
    Lol but from what you've said you don't know what the situation is? You just think that your opinion is fact?

There are at least two plausible theories about why they are selling almost new handsets ;

Either they've run out of their new stock

Or they've had high returns and want to sell their returned stick first,

In fact, thinking about it, the first seems more plausible as if they still had brand new stock why not sell it alongside?

You have yet to present anything extra that pulls to one side or the other from what I've read,

Well I don't know, I'm with EE, was with t-mobile before, and it's always been 30 days with them ..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    01-08-14 10:53 AM
    Lol but from what you've said you don't know what the situation is? You just think that your opinion is fact?

There are at least two plausible theories about why they are selling almost new handsets ;

Either they've run out of their new stock

Or they've had high returns and want to sell their returned stick first,

In fact, thinking about it, the first seems more plausible as if they still had brand new stock why not sell it alongside?

You have yet to present anything extra that pulls to one side or the other from what I've read,

Well I don't know, I'm with EE, was with t-mobile before, and it's always been 30 days with them ..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Are you sure about that?

http://help.ee.co.uk/system/selfserv...USTOM_BRAND=EE
    01-08-14 11:45 AM
    Thanks for ignoring a significant part of my post well that says 14 days, 7 days is only for broadband customers,

My mistake, 14 days is the industry standard

Two wrongs don't make a right though

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    01-08-14 12:02 PM
    Thanks for ignoring a significant part of my post well that says 14 days, 7 days is only for broadband customers,

My mistake, 14 days is the industry standard

Two wrongs don't make a right though

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    14 day for online shopping, 7 days in store.

I don't see any point in arguing with you for the rest of that stuff, it is what it is. Go ask Vodafone if you want more details.
    01-08-14 12:23 PM
1,393 ... 3233343536 ...