I've had 3 BlackBerries so far, 4 if you count my sister's in; I've noticed that the phones light up on their own at random times and they shouldn't do that! There aren't any new events when they do it, nor am I using at that moment. They just, like, light up. Unlock themselves, on their own.

Does anybody know why this happens? As you understand, it's very inconvenient; it can make calls and send text messages to anyone, for that matter.
    09-17-11 04:51 PM
    Don't know why, but I have experienced what you are talking about.
    A battery pull sorts it out though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-11 04:53 PM
    No, it doesn't and that's the problem. I do battery pulls every day and this thing never fails to happen. I also am running the last firmware and it CAN'T be a coincidence that this happens with every BlackBerry phone I have.
    09-17-11 04:59 PM
    I have four blackberry's on my account and none of the m are doing what you describe. Sounds like a rogue app. If you are running OS 6 I would check app management and look at app usage to see if there is a spike in usuage randomly in any of your installed apps.
    09-17-11 05:17 PM
    I have four blackberry's on my account and none of the m are doing what you describe. Sounds like a rogue app. If you are running OS 6 I would check app management and look at app usage to see if there is a spike in usuage randomly in any of your installed apps.
    I have experienced the OP's problem on most of my BB's. You could be right about the rogue app.

09-17-11 05:20 PM
    my 9780 does this too every now and then. definitely strange.
    09-17-11 07:08 PM
    Its probably an app updating/working and causing the phone to react to it.

Tim
    09-17-11 07:59 PM
    Do you have the app 'Leave It On' installed?
    09-17-11 08:02 PM
    Do you have the app 'Leave It On' installed?
    i doubt its that. i dont have it installed. i know what the OP is referring to. its as if you push a key once to get the screen to light, then it dims again as normal. even when the screen is locked, it will do it. its happened to me on my 9700 and 9780 and across all OS's. it makes me think its a hardware issue where the phone polls itself or something. it wasnt very often, but occurred enough for me to notice it as abnormal.
    09-17-11 08:15 PM
    That's weird mine only lights up when i'm in a lowlight area so i can see my keys or screen, hmm like they suggest try a battery pull or soft reset. ( alt right shift del)
    09-18-11 03:03 AM
    That's weird mine only lights up when i'm in a lowlight area so i can see my keys or screen, hmm like they suggest try a battery pull or soft reset. ( alt right shift del)
    there is no known fix. nothing will prevent this from happening.
    09-18-11 03:30 AM
    I haven't experienced this but almost the opposite with my Torch - sometimes when using the touch screen or trackpad to scroll the screen will just fade out until it's off even though I'm scrolling, I have to press the back key, BB key or lock button, to get it to light up again, fortunately it doesn't happen all that often but now and again, it's odd.
    09-18-11 04:15 AM
    I haven't experienced this but almost the opposite with my Torch - sometimes when using the touch screen or trackpad to scroll the screen will just fade out until it's off even though I'm scrolling, I have to press the back key, BB key or lock button, to get it to light up again, fortunately it doesn't happen all that often but now and again, it's odd.
    This is funny for me.My torch does what the Op posted and what you are experiencing.
    09-18-11 06:12 AM
    Does that to me too but I don't mind it, I just turn the screen back off since its happened a few times only.

09-18-11 10:46 AM
    Is there a common denominator here? could it be some social media app that is updating itself?

I don't have any social media apps installed. (besides BBM of course) or any streaming media apps installed. Maybe that is why i have not experienced this?

I know there are some apps that update themselves, weather apps in particular. The weather app I use does not do this nor does it run in the background.
    09-18-11 12:38 PM
    Me neither. I actually don't have any app that runs in the background and, well, this isn't an isolated problem and it's VERY annoying. Especially when the phone is a Bold one and keys could be pressed.
    09-19-11 06:38 AM
    Just noticed this on my os6 9650. I have no 3rd party apps. I was on wifi at the time, and the phone was locked. YIM and Windows Live were running in the background. I wonder if the wifi does it?

09-19-11 09:00 PM
    One additional point as to why I think it might be wifi related. I never saw it happen before today. Yesterday, I realized my home router was and always had been on WEP! I quickly changed the setting and went to WPA2. I wonder if the device is "waking up" periodically to refresh its network state? Time will tell. I'll have to take note and see if it keeps happening.

Last edited by T�nis; 09-19-11 at 09:18 PM.
    09-19-11 09:15 PM
    One additional point as to why I think it might be wifi related. I never saw it happen before today. Yesterday, I realized my home router was and always had been on WEP! I quickly changed the setting and went to WPA2. I wonder if the device is "waking up" periodically to refresh its network state? Time will tell. I'll have to take note and see if it keeps happening.

That could be why I have never experienced it. the only time I have WiFi on is when I am doing something that I require it. I don't leave it on.
    09-19-11 09:55 PM
    I have had a 9700 and have never experienced this issue. I am with everyone else with the rogue app.

09-20-11 12:29 AM
    But what could it be? I have no apps. Yahoo messenger, Windows Live, and AIM I have, but those are all RIM ...

09-20-11 12:41 AM
    But what could it be? I have no apps. Yahoo messenger, Windows Live, and AIM I have, but those are all RIM ...

I don't have any of those apps installed so I couldn't say one way or another. Do any of those have a update status feature?
    09-20-11 12:45 AM
    Not that I can see. Do you mean to update a personal status or to update the app(s)? I mean, you can type like a little status message next to your name, but that's about all I can find.

09-20-11 12:53 AM
    I don't have wifi at home. Don't even have internet at home and this has happened on all my devices from my very first 7100i to my 8350i to my 8530 and now my S2. I thought I missed a call or something but the screen just came on. Who knows. Maybe it's gremlins? They press a button and hide before we look over when our light pops on.
    09-20-11 09:15 AM
    Very Strange, I have never seen mine do it and I asked my family members who have BB's and none of them have experienced it. ( we all have Curve 9330 except the two boys who both have LG optimus S's.)

For a moment I thought it might have something to do with the people experiencing this having GSM phones while I have CDMA. But then ColdSunshine says he has experienced it and verizon is CDMA as far as I know (For now).
    09-20-11 10:41 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD