even though I ALWAYS have 25+ mb of free memory?? What else am I doing wrong? Is there a cryptic setting somewhere that I have checked off that says "confound user by deleting his texts and call log randomly"?

signed,
    confused
    07-09-08 05:44 PM
    are you sure you have 25 mb and not 2.5 mb post the exact number from your file free is it 25,000,000 or 2,500.000 ?
    07-09-08 05:49 PM
    Right now it says 34857133 free out of 83623936 total. I'm about 2 hrs fresh off a battery pull.

Does wiped out txts and call logs ALWAYS equal low memory? I constantly monitor my memory usage, and I've never seen it drop below 25mb. I also always use menu --> close to shut down programs, and never leave anything other than jivetalk running.
    07-09-08 05:53 PM
    how long do you have it set to keep messages under messages/options ?
    07-09-08 05:55 PM
    Something is eating your Memory. Clean your Browser cache, delete messages that you've read should give you back quite a bit of memory back.
    To find out which apps are running in the background go to Menu > Menu again > switch apps. There should be only 5 apps showing.
    BTW are you running Viigo?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-08 06:31 PM
    I am a newbie, my VZW 8330 Curve says:

File Free: 43514176 Bytes
    File Total: 83623936 Bytes

Sorry, but what does that mean?

When I also go to Menu -> Menu -> Switch Application a box pops up and it has in it:

Messages, Options, Home Screen, Call log, Calendar, Pocket Express, Facebook, Calculator, Camera, Alarm, Browser and BB Messenger.

Does that mean all those programs are running in the background??

I came from a Moto Q9M and I always had to go to Task Manager and kill programs. And when I bought the BB I thought once you end or exit a program it kills it?? So how do you kill them once you are done using it?
    07-09-08 07:37 PM
    I am a newbie, my VZW 8330 Curve says:

File free is your available memory. File total is the amount of memory installed on your device

When I also go to Menu -> Menu -> Switch Application a box pops up and it has in it:

Messages, Options, Home Screen, Call log, Calendar, Pocket Express, Facebook, Calculator, Camera, Alarm, Browser and BB Messenger.

Does that mean all those programs are running in the background??
    Yes it does means they are running. You cannot close Call Logm Home, Browser, BBM and Messages. The rest you should close by pressing memory while in the app and selecting close / exit. Chances are you are pressing the back button. That only moves the app to the background, but it stays open
    07-09-08 07:52 PM
    I went to the apps and hit the BB key and selected close. You said to press to go to memory, what is that? Now when I go to the menu, menu, switch apps, it has BBM, browser, call log, messages and home screen, is that all that is supposed to be there?? What is home screen? Will my BB run faster now that the apps are closed?
    07-09-08 08:00 PM
    Did you clear your Browser Cache?
    Browser > Menu > option > Browser cache > clear.
    These actions you've taken will speed up your BB and is what I like to refer to as "managing your memory"

07-09-08 08:14 PM
    In the browser options I went to Cache Operations. Do I just want to clear Content Cache and Cookie cache? I dont know what Pushed Content is?
    07-09-08 08:22 PM
    You can clear all of them. Push cache is that which RIM has sent

07-09-08 08:27 PM
    Sorry Newbie,,, RIM sent what?

And I only have 5 things running now in the background, is that correct?
    07-09-08 08:33 PM
    5 is correct. Your eMail is push through to you by RIM, that way you don't have to leave your PC always on.

When you have a little bit of time, go over to BB FAQ and read the Lecture 101 series. It has tons of valuable info for everyone. I myself go over there from time to time.

Another source of info, is right there on your BB. Go to Menu > help/? > Clickety click and you'll find tons of stuff about your BB.

07-09-08 08:59 PM
    Thank you so much for all your help!
    07-09-08 09:02 PM
    One last thing. If my BB says:

How many free mb's does that translate to?
    07-09-08 09:05 PM
    Thank you so much for all your help!
    No prob! You're now Family ;-)

Welcome to the Crack!

07-09-08 09:08 PM
    One last thing. If my BB says:

How many free mb's does that translate to?
    around 40 mb of free memory you have plenty if it gets below 12 you will start to have issues
    07-09-08 09:15 PM
    So do you take the first two numbers and it would be 43mb free? You cant download apps to your sd card, can you? So do you have to keep downloaded apps to a minimum so it doesnt get below 12mb and start to having problems?
    07-09-08 09:18 PM
    All 3rd partys apps are installed on the device, you use your sdcard for all your media: pictures,ringtones,mp3s,movies. That will help keep your free memory high. Also do not have open programs if you dont have to, keep them closed. Change your msg settings to only keep your emails so long and not forever, that clogs alot of memory after awhile. You will get the hang of it...if you have 43mb free I wouldnt be worrying too much, lol.
    07-09-08 10:09 PM
    How much memory does jivetalk drain? I had maybe a 2 hr conversation with someone in jivetalk, and eventually I got the hourglass of death, and had to battery pull.

Is that pretty indicative of low memory? The one thing that I hate about the BB is how we have to micromanage memory like this...
    07-09-08 10:25 PM
    is there a way to lock certain messages so they can't be erased?
    04-09-09 12:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD