I used the browser on my passport to sign in to one of my Gmail account, and received an email saying that I signed in from Safari on Mac. Does anyone know why? I am on 10.3.2

Posted via CB10
    09-10-15 07:13 AM
    Can't recollect exactly but there is a setting that allows you to access Web pages as a different platform. Safari is one of them.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 10:56 AM
    I think the BlackBerry browser engine is based off of an open source technology maintained by Apple and used in Safari.

So it falsely believes you're on Safari.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 11:13 AM
    Thanks for the replies.. so if I am a website owner looking at stats for web traffic to my site, it will show as traffic coming from Safari when it was actually browsed from a BlackBerry ?

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 12:23 PM
    Thanks for the replies.. so if I am a website owner looking at stats for web traffic to my site, it will show as traffic coming from Safari when it was actually browsed from a BlackBerry ?

Posted via CB10
    That's correct.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 12:26 PM
    BlackBerry 10 Browser uses Safari user agent due to software licencing (engine) and compatibility...

In plain English, it identifies itself as Safari when talking to a website. :-)

  Andro-Loader (TM) - who is gonna leak ...? Black-Berry! dadadada dee dum dee dum...  
    09-13-15 07:47 PM
    No wonder companies thinking of developing apps are not in creating a BlackBerry App as they don't see any BlackBerry traffic to their website.. it all shows up as traffic from Safari/ Mac

Posted via CB10
    09-17-15 01:39 AM
    No wonder companies thinking of developing apps are not in creating a BlackBerry App as they don't see any BlackBerry traffic to their website.. it all shows up as traffic from Safari/ Mac

Posted via CB10
    lol as if it would matter if they saw BlackBerry devices browsing. Have you seen BlackBerry's market share?

Posted via CB10
    09-17-15 02:10 AM
    I used the browser on my passport to sign in to one of my Gmail account, and received an email saying that I signed in from Safari on Mac. Does anyone know why? I am on 10.3.2

Posted via CB10
    It's because the website is lazy and doesn't check the user agent correctly.

BlackBerry Browser (well, since BlackBerry 6) uses WebKit, a browser engine used by Apple Safari (and up until a few years ago, Google Chrome). For web page rendering purposes the browser identifies itself as Mobile Safari to receive the correct page data. The browser actually tacks the "BB10" additional identifier before the WebKit identifier to tell websites that this is a BlackBerry 10 browser.

However, the site probably only checks for very specific "Mobile Safari", ignores everything else, and claims that your browser is a Safari

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    graxyq likes this.
    09-17-15 02:36 AM