Not trolling, I'm actually curious.

I saw his blog post about the Typo keyboard and its bad quality. But then I thought, "Why does CB Kevin even use an iPhone in the first place? Isn't a BlackBerry his thing? And isn't a BlackBerry sufficient?"

To me, it seems a BlackBerry alone is no longer sufficient for his daily needs/wants, and he needs another platform to fill the gap. Is that the case?
    01-14-14 11:02 PM
    Because he chooses too. Case closed.
    01-14-14 11:16 PM
    Not trolling, I'm actually curious.

I saw his blog post about the Typo keyboard and its bad quality. But then I thought, "Why does CB Kevin even use an iPhone in the first place? Isn't a BlackBerry his thing? And isn't a BlackBerry sufficient?"

To me, it seems a BlackBerry alone is no longer sufficient for his daily needs/wants, and he needs another platform to fill the gap. Is that the case?
    Hey, a guy has to keep his options open, wouldn't you?
    JR A and donemt like this.
    01-14-14 11:17 PM
    I think it is always good to know what other devices do if you are a rich blogger. I think all of the Crackberry folks use different phones. As well, he's editor in chief of Mobile Nations so there is that as well. A cynic could also say that with BlackBerry retreating from the consumer market, the folks at Crackberry need to look at their future options but hey that's just plain cynical.

I don't mind the use of other devices since BlackBerry is going more cross-platform. What does bother me is the use and added publicity for a device which seems to be based on stealing BlackBerry keyboard patents. It's smells like theft to me and the typo should be denounced and not used at any time. That crosses the line for me. I'm sure many will disagree as pirating is rampant in the tech world. But even in the tech world there needs to be a moral center and having fun with products based on what seems to be obviously copied parents rubs me the wrong way, whether or not if they work.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 11:18 PM
    Omg this again? Wasn't their an old thread entirely on this before? ...

I don't see y people think so much into what phone kevin is using.

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    01-14-14 11:23 PM
    You don't read the blogs enough!! Should also follow me on twitter and instagram. I have no secrets about my device usage....

I often carry multiple phones on me. In the year leading up to the release of BB10, I made the conscious decision to put down my BB7 phones for a while, and take a spin on all the competition. So I took turns going all iPhone, all Android, all Windows Phone, just so I could become very familiar with all the platforms. I've never been clueless - going back to our early Smartphone Round Robins in 2008/09, I've always tried to keep up with what the other platforms were doing. Knowing is half the battle! But I never really became EXPERT in them. And since I oversee all of the sites in our Mobile Nations network (Android Central, CrackBerry, iMore, WPCentral and Smartwatch Fans too), it's important that I am up to snuff across the board - that way I have a better understanding of all the content being published (and that we need to publish) on all the sites, and I don't feel out of depth when I monitor those forums, etc.

So most of the time, it's not that I need to carry two phones -- I can definitely get by with just my BB -- but I like to carry two phones just so I'm always learning with the other one. In 2013 I of course always rocked a BB10 phone - first the Z10, then Q10, then Z30, and then for second devices I was putting to use the HTC One, Galaxy S4, got the iPhone 5s/5c when it came out, Note 3 (so I could try out the Galaxy Gear), etc. When I'm home in Canada, I'll usually keep my SIM card in the BB, then just WiFi hotspot to my second device. Sometimes I'll use Sims in each, depending. And when I go to the USA, I always have two phones with me - one with my Canada number, and another with my US number. Also, with BBM going multi-platform support, I really made an effort to use BBM everywhere, so I could help find and report bugs and make sure the experience was as good as possible.

For CES this year, we wanted to use a group messenger app to coordinate the 30 people we had on the ground in Vegas. Google Hangouts actually won out. With it not working on BB nor Windows Phone, I used my iPhone 5s for that (and Instagramming - I still find it a better/faster experience then the BB10 solutions). Our Windows Phone editors had to carry iPhones too as a second device at CES, just for hangouts. The reason we went Hangouts over BBM was because of the ability to see who in the group read the message and was actually in the app open looking at the messages. This is a really important feature - and is one that I have told the BBM team on multiple occasions now that I want to see in BBM groups.

At CES I got that Typo keyboard also, so I'm having fun testing that. I also got my P'9982 Porsche Design BB in Vegas, which I'm LOVING. So I'm using both right now.

Also, I just like to have multiple phones on me. I've got four pockets on my jeans, two front and two back, so ya know... I don't mind a phone from each platform on me all times. Geekdom at its finest!

That answer your question?
    JR A, Umass021, fanisk and 97 others like this.
    01-14-14 11:24 PM
    I've always used 2 devices at a time, and carrying two of the same os is just "un-exciting"!!

trying different brands is exactly what hooked me on blackberry, I came from wince to try this fruity phone, and got hooked ever since.

So try try try if u can, u may fall in love with another os, oooor like me u may find out that u are already carrying the best!

Q10 Powered by 10.2.1.1925
    01-14-14 11:25 PM
    Sorry Boss. I like my answer better
    01-14-14 11:25 PM
    Sorry Boss. I like my answer better
    Your reply was tight. Nice and concise. Very Bla1ze-like.
    01-14-14 11:31 PM
    so another question did kevin use 10.3 os on his z30

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 11:32 PM

Omg a defensive post again?

I figured I'd catch some flak for asking. So what if it there was an old thread on this before. That's an old thread, besides, must you point out every thread that is related to an older thread for the simple fact that it has been done before? If so, you got a lot of commenting to do.

I care about what phone Kevin uses just as much as I care about joining your music and poetry channel - I was curious enough to click and type about it, but that's it...

I think it is always good to know what other devices do if you are a rich blogger. I think all of the Crackberry folks use different phones. As well, he's editor in chief of Mobile Nations so there is that as well. A cynic could also say that with BlackBerry retreating from the consumer market, the folks at Crackberry need to look at their future options but hey that's just plain cynical.

I don't mind the use of other devices since BlackBerry is going more cross-platform. What does bother me is the use and added publicity for a device which seems to be based on stealing BlackBerry keyboard patents. It's smells like theft to me and the typo should be denounced and not used at any time. That crosses the line for me. I'm sure many will disagree as pirating is rampant in the tech world. But even in the tech world there needs to be a moral center and having fun with products based on what seems to be obviously copied parents rubs me the wrong way, whether or not if they work.

Posted via CB10
    I feel the same way about how it gives more publicity to another company. To have the CrackBerry addict carry around an iPhone is like seeing one of Henry Ford's descendants drive off in a Camaro. Though I have no personal attachment to the phone nor the company (I use Android if you're wondering), I still slightly cringe when I see CB Kevin in videos with something other than a BlackBerry, regardless of the reason. It just doesn't seem "right", can't explain it.

You don't read the blogs enough!! Should also follow me on twitter and instagram. I have no secrets about my device usage....

I often carry multiple phones on me. In the year leading up to the release of BB10, I made the conscious decision to put down my BB7 phones for a while, and take a spin on all the competition. So I took turns going all iPhone, all Android, all Windows Phone, just so I could become very familiar with all the platforms. I've never been clueless - going back to our early Smartphone Round Robins in 2008/09, I've always tried to keep up with what the other platforms were doing. Knowing is half the battle! But I never really became EXPERT in them. And since I oversee all of the sites in our Mobile Nations network (Android Central, CrackBerry, iMore, WPCentral and Smartwatch Fans too), it's important that I am up to snuff across the board - that way I have a better understanding of all the content being published (and that we need to publish) on all the sites, and I don't feel out of depth when I monitor those forums, etc.

So most of the time, it's not that I need to carry two phones -- I can definitely get by with just my BB -- but I like to carry two phones just so I'm always learning with the other one. In 2013 I of course always rocked a BB10 phone - first the Z10, then Q10, then Z30, and then for second devices I was putting to use the HTC One, Galaxy S4, got the iPhone 5s/5c when it came out, Note 3 (so I could try out the Galaxy Gear), etc. When I'm home in Canada, I'll usually keep my SIM card in the BB, then just WiFi hotspot to my second device. Sometimes I'll use Sims in each, depending. And when I go to the USA, I always have two phones with me - one with my Canada number, and another with my US number. Also, with BBM going multi-platform support, I really made an effort to use BBM everywhere, so I could help find and report bugs and make sure the experience was as good as possible.

For CES this year, we wanted to use a group messenger app to coordinate the 30 people we had on the ground in Vegas. Google Hangouts actually won out. With it not working on BB nor Windows Phone, I used my iPhone 5s for that (and Instagramming - I still find it a better/faster experience then the BB10 solutions). Our Windows Phone editors had to carry iPhones too as a second device at CES, just for hangouts. The reason we went Hangouts over BBM was because of the ability to see who in the group read the message and was actually in the app open looking at the messages. This is a really important feature - and is one that I have told the BBM team on multiple occasions now that I want to see in BBM groups.

At CES I got that Typo keyboard also, so I'm having fun testing that. I also got my P'9982 Porsche Design BB in Vegas, which I'm LOVING. So I'm using both right now.

Also, I just like to have multiple phones on me. I've got four pockets on my jeans, two front and two back, so ya know... I don't mind a phone from each platform on me all times. Geekdom at its finest!

That answer your question?
    Thanks for the reply.

I figured that had a lot to do with it. I guess the "app gap" is still real. I'm in the same boat, but unfortunately, I don't get to wear jeans or comfortable pants all day (dress pants for me), so I can't max out all of my pockets with phones, lol.
    01-14-14 11:38 PM
    If I was in his position and was able to get my hands on these great devices I would be doing the same thing. If your a tech guy you would want to yourself. I am a blackberry/android person but would still give others a try if it was available to me. Its always great to try something different.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using CB Forums mobile app
    JR A and pantlesspenguin like this.
    01-14-14 11:39 PM
    Can I have q10?

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 11:43 PM
    i think most people who use BB they also have secondary phone either android or iPhone.

including me...
    01-14-14 11:46 PM
    If I was in his position and was able to get my hands on these great devices I would be doing the same thing. If your a tech guy you would want to yourself. I am a blackberry/android person but would still give others a try if it was available to me. Its always great to try something different.

Of course from a geek perspective, you'd want to get your hands on everything you could. However, there is a difference between *trying* and using a phone frequently. I mean, this is the CrackBerry addict himself, and if CB Kevin needed (not just wanted but needed) to use an iPhone to carry out a task that BBRY couldn't perform then I guess that puts into perspective the company's situation.

Woulda been nice if the other people in his group used an app available on BB10 and catered to Kevin and his BBRY. But I know BB10 the minority/underdog in this fight and it would be a lot easier (and I guess better) to just use an iPhone in this situation.
    01-14-14 11:48 PM
    Droid Maxx & Z10 for me. Like them both for different reasons. I flip back and fourth between them both all the time.

01-14-14 11:50 PM
    Droid Maxx & Z10 for me. Like them both for different reasons. I flip back and fourth between them both all the time.

I got an LG G Pro as my main, and only phone right now. I was considering picking up another line and getting a Q10 on TMobile, but because I can easily get a second phone number for free with Google Voice, I haven't. And GV has really good integration with Android so I'm still not sold on getting it. I can still hear the keyboard calling my name though...
    01-14-14 11:52 PM
    As the creator of the ultimate blackberry fan site, and a member of the mobile nations community, I think it is a good idea for him to be well versed on all things blackberry, iPhone, and android. Here's why, in 9th grade, my english teacher taught us to be able to argue both sides of an argument, why you ask? because it strengthens your argument, at the sometime, allows you to be open minded and open to change, with that said, iPhone is the king of the jungle now, however limited it is…So why not be well versed in it…

Also kevin, as celebrated as he is for starting crackberry, also has a personal life outside of crackberry.com , just like the google dude, just like anyone… with that said, if he wanted to use iPhone for personal use, i believe he has every right to, that doesn't mean he isn't loyal to the blackberry cause…. I think we get endorsement and employment confused at times…. My best friend had an endorsement from vitamin water, however, he preferred gatorade and thats all his refrigerator was stocked with, so yes it was hypocritical for him to drink anything other than, while they were paying him to drink vitamin water…

I worked an event for google last year, the arena was filled with google employees, all snapping pictures of will.i.am with their iPhones…. they are employees, there is nothing wrong with that … Kevin has access to insider info, and news, however, blackberry does not endorse him, nor is he a paid spokesman for blackberry (or so i think) lol…. with that said he is allowed to use whatever phone he so chooses, which if you follow his official posts, both in the forums and on the main page, his posts on the iPhone are always in comparison to the blackberry and always somehow tie into what blackberry could do better or what blackberry already does better…. THe ENd

P.S. as a professional, you cannot get tunnel vision, because its with tunnel vision that you limit your potential…. As a sound engineer, I have to work everything from country and heavy metal, to Rap and Pop… I might not be a fan of justin beiber, but if I'm being paid to work it, i better know how its supposed to sound….. its an occupational requirement, student of your profession, in kevin's case, his profession is mobile communications and shirtless workout videos….
    Last edited by adjdudley21; 01-15-14 at 12:05 AM.
    01-14-14 11:55 PM
    Hey, a guy has to keep his options open, wouldn't you?
    Nope
    extisis likes this.
    01-14-14 11:57 PM
    As the creator of the ultimate blackberry fan site, and a member of the mobile nations community, I think it is a good idea for him to be well versed on all things blackberry, iPhone, and android. Here's why, in 9th grade, my english teacher taught us to be able to argue both sides of an argument, why you ask? because it strengthens your argument, at the sometime, allows you to be open minded and open to change, with that said, iPhone i sthe king of the jungle now, however limited it is…So why not be well versed in it…

Also kevin, as celebrated as he is for starting crackberry, also has personal life outside of crackberry.com , just the google dude, just like anyone… with that said, if he wanted to use iPhone for personal use, i believe he has every right to, that doesn't mean he isn't loyal to the blackberry cause…. I think we get endorsement and employment confused at times…. My best friend had an endorsement from vitamin water, however, he preferred gatorade and thats all his refrigerator was stocked with, so yes it was hypocritical for him to drink anything other than, while they were paying him to drink vitamin water…

I worked an event for google last year, the arena was filled with google employees, all snapping pictures of will.i.am with their iPhones…. they are employees, there is nothing wrong with that … Kevin has access to insider info, and news, however, blackberry does not endorse him, nor is he a paid spokesman for blackberry…. with that said he is allowed to use whatever phone he so chooses, which if you follow his official posts, both in the forums and on the main page, his posts on the iPhone are always in comparison to the blackberry and always somehow tie into what blackberry could do better or what blackberry already does better…. THe ENd
    I know where you're coming from.

The bottom line is that a BBRY device alone just couldn't provide the functionality he needed. An iOS or Android device was needed to supplement BBRY's shortcomings.
    01-14-14 11:59 PM
    I know where you're coming from.

The bottom line is that a BBRY device alone just couldn't provide the functionality he needed. An iOS or Android device was needed to supplement BBRY's shortcomings.
    Well he is a tech blogger therefore he can't use blackberry exclusively. He has to use other devices and become very familiar with those platforms in order to provide unbiased reviews.

If you still find it cringeworthy know that Google's Eric Schmidt uses a blackberry. So that evens it out.
    01-15-14 12:16 AM
    I think most people carry _one_ phone.
    Two or three phone carrying ppl I'm sure are a small minority.

Posted via CB10
    JR A, kbz1960, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    01-15-14 12:16 AM
    Unfortunately in this blog most of the people are really close minded, say something that in any way goes "against" blackberry and they will start saying nonsense things.
    01-15-14 12:25 AM

My thoughts exactly. You beat me to the punch. Cheers!
    01-15-14 12:34 AM
    Your reply was tight. Nice and concise. Very Bla1ze-like.
    That's a good one! =0)
    01-15-14 12:39 AM
258 123 ...