I'm a journalist from Argentina. I write in an economic newspaper, El Cronista Comercial, and a tech&biz magazine called Infotechnology.
    I'm working on a piece about Blackberry's history, from its origins through its peak until today, with a new strategy and a renewed focus.

I would like a view from this forum users, where (I imagine) there are Blackberry's fans.

Thanks and best regards!
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    10-23-18 12:57 PM
    I'm a journalist from Argentina. I write in an economic newspaper, El Cronista Comercial, and a tech&biz magazine called Infotechnology.
    I'm working on a piece about Blackberry's history, from its origins through its peak until today, with a new strategy and a renewed focus.

I would like a view from this forum users, where (I imagine) there are Blackberry's fans.

Thanks and best regards!
    Because I believed, that BlackBerry Mobile would bring the same quality as formerly Black Berry Ltd. ...
    10-24-18 09:34 AM
    Because I believed, that BlackBerry Mobile would bring the same quality as formerly Black Berry Ltd. ...
    Well, depends which devices we compare.

Priv is a BB Ltd device, and it had many heating/battery/bootloop issues

Passport is a BB Ltd device, and it had screen lift and "emergency calls only" issues

Q10 is a BB Ltd device, and it had double typing issues
    10-24-18 12:29 PM

Thanks and best regards!
    Are you referring to BlackBerry's current products, or its licencees' handheld devices?
    10-24-18 12:32 PM
    Well, depends which devices we compare.

Priv is a BB Ltd device, and it had many heating/battery/bootloop issues

Passport is a BB Ltd device, and it had screen lift and "emergency calls only" issues

Q10 is a BB Ltd device, and it had double typing issues
    My original BB Ltd. devices (Priv, Passport and Classic) had no issues. But the security updates on my BB Mobile KeyOne appear very very very late and the update to Android 8.1 had mistakes...
    10-24-18 12:47 PM

Thanks and best regards!
    For their fantastic physical keyboards and the additional security in comparison with any other device.
    10-24-18 02:56 PM
    Both, actually, but I'm thinking of the newer products. Thanks!
    10-24-18 03:40 PM
    Great. Thanks!
    10-24-18 03:43 PM
    And now you're thinking of jumping ship?
    10-24-18 03:44 PM
    And it did?
    10-24-18 03:46 PM
    OP, assume you already read two books published recently regarding blackberry history? As users (new product) - most of them are can't live without PKB - heavy user for communication, work, code, security staffs that need to be connect most of the time (few iOS jump ship here find a bit deficient because for social media, text is not used as much - emoji or selfie plus like take over...). The hardware design is inheranted from award winning BB (not BBMo) format, that bring back some familiarity to the users (they wait for long time in the dark cry their eyes out for new device). The software still BB brand (goo-berry) with legendary security so far in the mess of droid world. that is mostly why some professionals still stay with BB. (BB lost the most server farm advantage but still got about 1 million users - based on the latest Service access fee of 12 million dollar last quarter, refuse to hand over old BBOS7 units that more than 5-7 year old... the BBOS7 provided data compression to allow chaps in the 3rd world pay very little per month but still can use 2G/3G network effectively for basic tasks... but for carrier try to sell more data per user, it is the hated most "feature" - they have to fork over 3-5 dollar to BB every month for server usage. but if they have limited bandwidth, like 2G only, BBOS still the king because the data compression). IMHO. besides, if you have a BB, normally no body will think you are a butterfly on the social media... (good or bad depend upon your grouping).
    sebadetoma likes this.
    10-25-18 02:13 PM
    Both, actually, but I'm thinking of the newer products. Thanks!
    So you are interested in BlackBerry's end point security management software like UEM, QNX Auto, tracking, mobile, and IoT?

Or are you more interested in BlackBerry Mobile (a subsidiary of TCT), which is responsible for the KEYx devices?

They are vastly different markets, with different customer bases.
    Last edited by conite; 10-25-18 at 06:32 PM.
    sebadetoma likes this.
    10-25-18 02:20 PM
    I read Losing the signal, and I'll get to the other one soon. And thanks for all the insight.
    10-25-18 05:07 PM
    Great. Thanks!
    Hello seba,

I'm still a user of (and firm believer in) Blackberry Limited's BB10 operating system and would be happy to assist with that aspect of your story if you like. Please feel free to PM me (click on my user name in orange, then click PM) if I can be of any help.
    sebadetoma and skinnymike1 like this.
    10-25-18 05:21 PM
    OP, if you really want to understand why some of us still hope beyond hope for ANYthing reminiscent of BB's single most successful product, find an example of that product while BIS is still functioning and learn to USE that product. Embrace it. Incorporate it into your life. Let your muscle memory learn to operate it by feel. Without looking. Till your brain's speech center moves your thumb like it does your tongue. Get your type rate with it to at least 70 cpm. (100+ is better but 70 will get you "the feel") Get your error rate next to zero. Learn to maintain 24/7 real time communications with coworkers, clients and family thru typed word. Learn to maintain 24/7 real time communications around the globe while simultaneously "living a life". With single thumb. Silently during meetings. From noisy industrial environments. Over meals. While waiting in lines. While shopping. Etc, etc. In short, learn to embrace into your active lifestyle the single most proficient communications tool to ever fit a single human hand! Communications proficiency so addictive we find ourselves frequenting forums invoking a subtly reminiscent street name of a notoriously addictive substance! Lol.

Then... Shut it off. Go live with ANY other device. See how frustratingly inefficient ANYthing else seems... Note the foreboding expectation that fewer typed words will get communicated, to fewer individuals, tomorrow. And beyond.

Whether by design or by accident, RIM managed to achieve typed communications perfection in their Bold 9900. Imo. They got form factor, feature set, UI, keyboard feel(!!!), etc, etc SOoo nearly perfect with that product! Perfection so exquisite that you might suffer a mostly less perfect product just to enjoy a tiny percentage of "perfection". Which perfectly explains why I've typed this with left thumb on 7 year old 9930 while right hand makes reservations with Hampton Inn app on KeyOne! Here we are. Lol. .

Grasp THAT concept and you might find an unexpected answer to a question you might not even suspect you'd asked... ?? Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 10-26-18 at 01:45 AM.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    10-26-18 01:19 AM