Eh, I've recently been trying to use a Galaxy S4 as my daily driver, and without a lot of tinkering Android is just incredibly inefficient for daily use, even with a watered down version of the Blackberry Hub.

It's not so much that Android is a bad OS, but when BB10 came out I was hooked almost immediately because it did almost everything out of the box that I tend to spend forever trying to get Android to do.
    10-20-16 04:29 AM
    I see it the opposite way: I can buy an Android phone from any of dozens of manufacturers, yet, I can still use Solid Explorer, Chrome, MX Player, etc. on any of those phones and have exactly the experience and features I like and am used to - yet I can buy whatever hardware I wish, so if I need a great camera, or exceptional audio, or long battery life, or a bargain price, I can shop around and get exactly that - and still get to use MY preferred apps.

I doubt it would take anyone more than 2-3 hours to find 5 or 6 key apps that they like, and once found, it's SUPER easy to keep using those apps as you move from phone to phone. It seems like you (and a few others) are making a HUGE deal out of what is really a minor issue for most people.
    I think your post just goes to buttress DETRITALGEO's point even further. Those who like it do so because they like to shop and customise and those who don't want ready-made solutions to save them those 2-3 hours of vetting apps and going on forums to find the best options for everyday tasks.
    10-20-16 05:08 AM
    Android has a bad track record... and almost every app you install? needs to request this and request that (it's uncalled for) but also google back it... that just should tell you why many hate it.

but millions love it, why? easy to dev on and soooo many apps.

How often do you hear of a security loop/hole/exploit on BBOS 7.1/10 ??

lol
    10-20-16 05:27 AM

How often do you hear of a security loop/hole/exploit on BBOS 7.1/10 ??

lol
    I'm not sure many people are looking for them on BB10 due to the small amount of users.
    10-20-16 05:55 AM
    Android isn't bad depending on what you're using it for. My Son uses his for playing games and watching videos. He loves it.

Posted via CB10
    and i do nothing of the sort and I love mine. I email, text, post, take killer photos, open pdfs, create and edit documents etc on mine. Don't try and paint all android users with one broad brush. One can look very ignorant indeed when one does that
    10-20-16 06:06 AM
    I can do way more for my business with my Android then what a Blackberry10 device could do for it any day. Hands down.

I held onto my z30 way longer then i should've. As soon as I spent a few days learning about the capabilities that Android has to offer it was easily a no brainer.

PS I don't have a single game, tv or movie on my non-Blackberry Android-powered Asus smartphone.
    AMEN. Because we use Android we are targeted as social media/game playing 16 year olds? Well i wouldn't mind the 16 year old part since i well past that now but the rest....????
    1khalid, Thud Hardsmack and TGIS like this.
    10-20-16 06:09 AM
    I'm not sure many people are looking for them on BB10 due to the small amount of users.
    Small amount of users? depends how you define that, but i'm saying SINCE LAUNCH of BBOS 7 (Fantastic OS) and BBOS10.

Has there been any news at all of a security breach ? maybe once or twice? i don't know, (but google OS/Android) has been reported to have many worries in terms of security
    10-20-16 06:26 AM
    Android isn't bad. Millions love it. The Dteks and Priv are burdened with the BB name. Every other Android sells just fine.
    I know you use Android daily and "Android isn't bad" and "millions love it" convince me of the fact that Android hasn't changed ...

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 06:50 AM
    Eh, I've recently been trying to use a Galaxy S4 as my daily driver, and without a lot of tinkering Android is just incredibly inefficient for daily use, even with a watered down version of the Blackberry Hub.

It's not so much that Android is a bad OS, but when BB10 came out I was hooked almost immediately because it did almost everything out of the box that I tend to spend forever trying to get Android to do.
    You nailed it.

Within the first hour of using bb10 on my z10, after coming from Android, I was hooked. Swiping... no back button.... it was great. ( the sale price made it even sweeter).

I do have an Android tablet and a Priv, but definitely prefer bb10 in spite of the app gap.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 06:53 AM
    As I said before, Android Open Source Project is a very good operating system. The problem it has in the consumer market is that it doesn't have Google Services, which is where most of the applications and features that people want are found. Android at least has the ability to be as open or as closed as you want it to be since it is possible to roll your own version of it. Even without Google Services, I've been able to get at least 80 per cent of the apps I need through open source means.

My Classic is still my daily driver and I mainly use my PlayBook over the Android Touchpad. I don't need very many entertainment or third-party apps for much more than something like Crackberry or Twitter for entertainment and SSH or SMB for work purposes so my needs are simple.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 06:59 AM
    Android itself isn't a bad OS.

Only the real purpose for it is bad - Google gives a good operating system to phone makers for 'free' and harvests & trades all of the personal data it's end user.
    They collect everything - sure, some data is used to improve Google's service and programs. But collecting that amount of a persons data is just insane!

And even if BlackBerry claims that Android-Berrys are that private and secure - this 'only' means against hackers and viruses etc.
    Google itself still trades all the data for money.
    Even if you are able to block app access with new Android versions, you still don't know where Google sells the data to?

Posted via CB10
    fanatical likes this.
    10-20-16 07:10 AM
    Yeah, Android is less secure than BB10. Also, BlackBerry Android is kinda buggy and slow. It's a little different from BB10 also, and nobody likes change.
    10-20-16 07:57 AM
    Hahah I agree, we should be embracing and standing tall, that BlackBerry is still alive!

I think the problem, is that on android (running a Priv) you lose what blackberry is to a degree - the bare bones essentials and basics that made blackberry amazing. I won't lie, I'm 50/50 on my Priv. At times, it's amazing to be running all this and still having a keyboard. I can enjoy apps, I got the and it's straight forward....at times.

Then the neg, is the most basic functions I want to do...andorid has to muck it up. Ie. I have to have a app for a clock, blackberry notes? Why, these should core items, but andorid is app everything. It sucks but we have to live with it for now.

And I think it's the rep, that priv/dtek aren't performing as well, and because the blackberry name is attached....everyone has this negative view towards. They shouldn't. This is the first time for this integration and who know...maybe over sometime it can develope and rise to the top.

Everything that goes up, must come down at somepoint, and it's only a matter of time before blackberry gets back to the top.
    10-20-16 07:57 AM
    I don't think that Android is a bad operating system. I think that it's a great operating system with manny features. I think that both Android and BB10 are fantastic and they can compensate eatch other in the way that one could own two different cellphones. One with Android for multimedia and Blackberry 10 for its security and productivity.
    10-20-16 08:16 AM
    Small amount of users? depends how you define that, but i'm saying SINCE LAUNCH of BBOS 7 (Fantastic OS) and BBOS10.

Has there been any news at all of a security breach ? maybe once or twice? i don't know, (but google OS/Android) has been reported to have many worries in terms of security
    Hilary Clinton's 33,000 emails that she kept on her private BlackBerry have been hacked and stolen.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    TGIS and vette2009 like this.
    10-20-16 08:40 AM
    I hated my Tab4 physical home button also when I got it. Then loaded Swipe Home Button to bring BlackBerry like gestures to it. Rarely ever use the home button now. I didn't care for the back and recent-apps soft buttons when I first got the Tab4, and used the BlackBerry gestures instead. However, over time I came to realize that in some cases it's just as easy to hit the back or recent-apps soft buttons as opposed to the gestures. For me, it was just some time to get used to. For me, those two soft buttons are just fine now and I use them interchangeably with the BlackBerry gestures all the time.

I still hate the physical home button though and one reason (after seeing the light and not having a physical home button with the Playbook) why I will never ever have an iPhone. With Android, you can avoid using the physical home button, for those Android devices that still have them. I don't think the BlackBerry Androids have them.

Posted via CB App for Android on Tab4 (interim Playbook replacement)
    I like this swipe home, thx for mentioning it. I don't think it's a bad os just more of an unknown to me. I still use bb10 and iOS daily.
    10-20-16 08:49 AM

You DO know that asking a question like that in a forum like this will only get you many useless opinions.
    And you'll just be more confused in the end than when you started. Forget what everybody says.For two years now, people have been saying that BB10 is dead.Yet somehow it's still very alive on my Passport. BB10 is not dead. It's just reached its peak . Software maintenance and the occasional fix will continue for a long time to come. There just arn't any plans (for now) to create a newer version '. But no one has said that support for this version will end .

If you want a real answer to your question Turn to people you know and trust and and see for yourself the good and the bad of all 3 platforms then only you can decide what will best work for you.

And while this latest generation is under the illusion the these devices should "JUST WORK" ... You're not going to find the perfect device because it doesn't exist, yet!
    And when mobile devices DO become perfect, they will all be taken off the market the following day and be replaced with some kind of digital chip implant and then, of course, by then, the machines will have already started to rebel and things probably won't end well, so
    rather than get a device and be frustrated because of what you can't do with it, get a device and be happy with what you can do with it and just enjoy it while you can.

TGIS likes this.
    10-20-16 09:27 AM
    What I like about Android is that it is so flexible. That gives it broad market appeal. You can customize it to your own taste and use it the way you want.
    I myself am no expert on anything technical, but I found what I needed by watching YouTube videos on how to perform various tasks on my S7. I've found everything that makes my device work great for me.
    I still don't know why people complain about the home button. Didn't old BlackBerrys operate in a similar way when they had the toolbelt? I'm not saying it shouldn't be an issue for anyone.....just a curiosity. If it's an issue for some, then who am I to judge?
    As far as laggy/buggy OS is concerned, I've never had an issue. My S7 has been fast, fluid and consistent. It also has decent battery life.
    If you don't like your Android, just do a little research and a little customization. It's a whole lot easier than having to sideload Snap or any other type of thing to make apps available to BB10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    10-20-16 09:46 AM
    I use andriod now. In time it becomes slow when more apps are installed. Its fine. Dones everything i need.
    10-20-16 09:46 AM
    Hilary Clinton's 33,000 emails that she kept on her private BlackBerry have been hacked and stolen.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    That was hacked elsewere (nothing to do with blackberry) fella.

Whatever her domain was for the email it had nothing to do with blackberry.

(just because my hotmail was hacked doesn't mean it was hacked through my BOLD9900)

Jeez... lol
    zephyr613 likes this.
    10-20-16 09:49 AM
    Yep. Security thru obscurity.

*ME173X
    JeepBB and AllanQuatermain like this.
    10-20-16 09:54 AM
    You nailed it.

Within the first hour of using bb10 on my z10, after coming from Android, I was hooked. Swiping... no back button.... it was great. ( the sale price made it even sweeter).

I do have an Android tablet and a Priv, but definitely prefer bb10 in spite of the app gap.

Posted via CB10
    I was the same way coming from android however lack of updates to bb10 drove me back. BlackBerry android is the best I've used
    10-20-16 10:04 AM
    I've had multiple android devices and multiple BB10 devices. They're both good for their own purposes. I don't think Android is as intuitive to a business person's needs as BB10 was. Again, different people in different businesses may have a different perspective but for myself BB10 was just a far superior operating system.

Even now I have the LG G5 but I also have a Blackberry Classic. Android is great for the apps experience and different things, however I find there's so many ads in different apps, browsers, tracking my ad experience and a lot of hang ups with battery. It just doesn't seem to be optimized that well and I find an app will always hang somewhere and just destroys my battery. A lot of it seems to be driven by the google play services experience. Sure, I can achieve great battery experience by disabling every feature on the phone but that kind of defeats the purpose of it.
    10-20-16 10:22 AM
    Updates every day for apps. Try setting lock screen after you have changed launcher from google. Try turning off vibrate on touch...Just cumbersome and obnoxious...although I will give credit and say it has gotten better with each OS upgrade. As others have said whatever fits your needs. Unfortunately dont think going to have much of choice for future as BB10 is in the toilet.
    10-20-16 10:34 AM
    OK, so I asked the question about why apple is so successful and that thread is still running with lots of interesting input, but now a new question which keeps popping up, why is android so bad?? A lot of us BB10 users are being told that iOS is so much better and secure etc that on these forums we are pushing people away from the DTEKS and Privs.. should we died hard blackberry persons not be embracing the android blackberry????

Posted via CB10
    There are so many subtle features and nuances that the BlackBerry crowd missed with Android. I do give BlackBerry a lot of credit for trying to essentially build the BlackBerry experience back into Android (and using the Priv I do see a lot of their work coming through).

It's also important that this is not the first time it happened. When BlackBerry 6 was announced, people didn't like it, when BlackBerry 10 was announced people here REALLY did NOT like it at first, and now we are seeing the exact same thing with BlackBerry branded Android devices. It's a well known cycle, and history reminds us that the a portion of the core audience was always opposed to anything aside from BlackBerry OS 4.6/4.7/5.0.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    10-20-16 10:45 AM
360 1234 ...