It's not a small thing when it's representative of the RTOS.

Like if I press back out of my Reddit app, it will reset the app and I'm at the front page again.

When I pop back into my browser, all of my tabs need to reload (if I haven't used it in a little while).

Hub losing a typed email when I take a call. Wasnt saved as a draft, but that's a Hub bug I bet. But the fact that I'd ever lose my place in the middle of an writing field is obnoxious.

Android just isn't as good as BB10. It really behaves more like iOS, and I notice this every day that I use it. In little ways, all over the operating system, and it gets tiring.

Posted via CB10
    Hub losing a typed email sounds like a Hub bug as you say.

Your other issues I've only seen in low end Android phones that have insufficient RAM.

Both my Note 4 and S7 Edge keep things in memory long after I have used them, I often open links from FB or Twitter to Browser eg. news articles, I will have +10 tabs open in the browser weekly and another 10-20 in Opera Mini, and they usually stay open with no reload, unless I setup my phone to App Power Save, in which case it will pause and reload some apps if required (this is what caused the whole S6, S6 Edge and Note5 Multitasking debacle last year).

The beauty in Android really is in creating your own experience. Today my S7 Edge is a Multitasking beast running multiple productivity apps from Microsoft, Google, Samsung (S Note and S Planner), along with Social Media, and entertainment (Music, Netflix, Games etc...), BUT if tomorrow I do not require these apps to stay in memory I throw them into 'Always Power Saving', e.g. on a day where I am on holiday and only require the Camera and Social Media apps to be priority.

There are also then apps that are built to pause and reload no matter how much RAM is available and no matter what is priority, so this is also down to developers and how they built the app.

My bank's app is built to default to the login screen if you leave it in the background for more than around 15seconds, for example, as a safety measure.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    12-19-16 11:56 AM

Like if I press back out of my Reddit app, it will reset the app and I'm at the front page again.

When I pop back into my browser, all of my tabs need to reload (if I haven't used it in a little while).

Hub losing a typed email when I take a call. Wasnt saved as a draft, but that's a Hub bug I bet. But the fact that I'd ever lose my place in the middle of an writing field is obnoxious.

Android just isn't as good as BB10. It really behaves more like iOS, and I notice this every day that I use it. In little ways, all over the operating system, and it gets tiring.

Posted via CB10
    But it isn't representative of an RTOS.
    And none of what you describe requires or benefits from RTOS.
    It seems like you don't really understand RTOS.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-19-16 12:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    Again, you're conflating "can't do" and "make it work this way". This is another case of picking a particular app that's been programmed to perform a specific function and making it representative of the entire OS. Some apps refresh when redrawn, others don't. Aquamail and Nine email stay right where I leave them when I switch to other apps or minimize and still do their jobs in the background. So does BBM, WhatsApp, Hangouts, Keep, Music, Slack, Drive, Dropbox, Kindle, and MANY others.

RTOS is just another buzzword around here, and needs to go away. Linux is fully capable of realtime environments, the only difference between it and QNX RTOS is that the realtime and non-realtime environments are the same.
    cribble2k likes this.
    12-19-16 12:10 PM
    But it isn't representative of an RTOS.
    And none of what you describe requires or benefits from RTOS.
    It seems like you don't really understand RTOS.
    That open applications persist while in the background with no special coding?

Posted via CB10
    12-19-16 12:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    This happens across all operating systems. Not exclusive to BB10.
    12-19-16 12:20 PM
    This happens across all operating systems. Not exclusive to BB10.
    This does not happen in any other mobile OS of which I am aware. iOS and Android use saved states, no?

Are you telling me that application behavior/open application management in iOS is exactly the same as BB10?

Posted via CB10
    12-19-16 12:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    Still has nothing to do with BB10 being a RTOS. What does the real time task scheduler have to do with keeping app state in the background?
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-19-16 12:25 PM
    This does not happen in any other mobile OS of which I am aware. iOS and Android use saved states, no?

Are you telling me that application behavior in iOS is exactly the same as BB10?

Posted via CB10
    As previously stated, it depends on the app function. On budget devices memory management will close apps that don't have background processes.
    12-19-16 12:26 PM
    As previously stated, it depends on the app function. On budget devices memory management will close apps that don't have background processes.
    Is Priv a budget device?

Posted via CB10
    12-19-16 12:27 PM
    Still has nothing to do with BB10 being a RTOS. What does the real time task scheduler have to do with keeping app state in the background?
    So what benefit does an rtos present to a user?

Posted via CB10
    12-19-16 12:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm thinking a quick blurb about what exactly the "realtime" part of RTOS means is due: it has nothing to do with keeping processes alive or closing them, it's the scheduling of their interrupts. It provides deterministic behavior, in where processes gain predictable response times and very small latencies.
    12-19-16 12:31 PM
    Is Priv a budget device?

Posted via CB10
    Does it have 1- or 2GB of RAM and a budget SoC? No.
    12-19-16 12:35 PM
    Thanks for asking, not much of anything yet.
    A software defined GSM stack would have been interesting.
    12-19-16 12:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    Other that increased battery use, nothing.

Effective memory management and app design trump anything RTOS can offer in this space. Windows for desktop is not RTOS, and you can't tell me it doesn't multitask.
    Thud Hardsmack and Tsepz_GP like this.
    12-19-16 12:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    In use cases the average consumers might encounter almost nothing. A RTOS ensures that certain tasks finish in a predetermined time frame. Also note that when i say task, it is not a large one, but small tasks forming a much larges process thread. Each of these small tasks take very little time (think of microseconds), so most of the time the user can't tell the difference between tasks that took one milisecond and one that took 10 milliseconds.

A standard/non-realtime scheduler is good enough for consumers. Windows, MacOSX and most Linux distributions are not RTOS and still manage to multitask just fine. So no, an OS being RTOS or not has nothing to do with running background applications.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    12-19-16 12:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    A meaningless buzzword to cling onto with white knuckles? Works for "hypervisor".
    12-19-16 12:55 PM
    A meaningless buzzword to cling onto with white knuckles? Works for "hypervisor".
    It always brings a smile to my face whenever someone here reminds me of the "hypervisor" craze we had here before the Priv launched.
    12-19-16 01:00 PM
    It always brings a smile to my face whenever someone here reminds me of the "hypervisor" craze we had here before the Priv launched.
    Don't get me started on "microkernel".
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    12-19-16 01:09 PM
    Don't get me started on "microkernel".
    In my book nothing beats the hypervisor craze. It was so "fun" watching people in denial and try to explain how the priv will be BB10/Android dual boot.
    12-19-16 01:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    My priv works fine for multitasking.

I'll admit we probably have different definitions of multitasking though.
    12-19-16 01:29 PM
    The straws to cling onto are falling, day by day!

It gets me how once one is deemed invalid, someone else will come in tryin to clutch on another one.

Reading through this thread from page 1 could really be entertaining.
    12-19-16 01:39 PM
    I'll admit we probably have different definitions of multitasking though.
    Well yeah, your definition isn't one that excludes literally everything other than playing background YouTube.
    12-19-16 01:40 PM

Are you telling me that application behavior/open application management in iOS is exactly the same as BB10?

Posted via CB10
    Here's a screenshot of my S7 Edge multitasking, it clearly differentiates between apps running in the Background, and Others (Paused, Cached apps and Processes)
    12-19-16 01:45 PM
    As bad as the whole hypervisor and microkernel nonsense was, it wouldn't have happened had this forum not become infested with Android fanboys that openly cheered the demise of BB10 and loved rubbing it in the noses of BB users. The lack of maturity is again on display in this very thread, as-is the complete unwillingness of the android lords to admit that BB10 did even one thing well.

At the end of the day the BB10 ship has sailed, and we as consumers are stuck with a duopoly or iOS and Android for better or worse.

I think this thread has run its course. Mods, time to lock 'er up I think. And for those of you that got lost, Android Central is that way --->
    blackmass likes this.
    12-19-16 02:42 PM
    As bad as the whole hypervisor and microkernel nonsense was, it wouldn't have happened had this forum not become infested with Android fanboys that openly cheered the demise of BB10 and loved rubbing it in the noses of BB users. The lack of maturity is again on display in this very thread, as-is the complete unwillingness of the android lords to admit that BB10 did even one thing well.

At the end of the day the BB10 ship has sailed, and we as consumers are stuck with a duopoly or iOS and Android for better or worse.

I think this thread has run its course. Mods, time to lock 'er up I think. And for those of you that got lost, Android Central is that way --->
    We're quite capable of deciding when threads get closed, thanks. Also CrackBerry has been home to Android users for quite some time, they've been welcome here and will continue to be welcome here. They have insight to add to threads such as this one.
    12-19-16 03:43 PM
360 ... 1112131415