As bad as the whole hypervisor and microkernel nonsense was, it wouldn't have happened had this forum not become infested with Android fanboys that openly cheered the demise of BB10 and loved rubbing it in the noses of BB users. The lack of maturity is again on display in this very thread, as-is the complete unwillingness of the android lords to admit that BB10 did even one thing well.

At the end of the day the BB10 ship has sailed, and we as consumers are stuck with a duopoly or iOS and Android for better or worse.

I think this thread has run its course. Mods, time to lock 'er up I think. And for those of you that got lost, Android Central is that way --->
    Nah. I find this somewhat entertaining.
    12-19-16 03:58 PM
    I think it's been very informative also. Nothing wrong with that.
    12-19-16 04:04 PM
    We're quite capable of deciding when threads get closed, thanks. Also CrackBerry has been home to Android users for quite some time, they've been welcome here and will continue to be welcome here. They have insight to add to threads such as this one.
    Notice I keyed in on fan boys and not all android users, thanks.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-16 04:58 PM
    So what benefit does an rtos present to a user?
    I don't think it presents anything useful to mobile users. If QNX had been a German company, nobody would have tried to put it in a phone.

Thankfully, for BBRY shareholders and QNX employees, QNX has now moved on to applications where an RTOS makes much more sense.
    12-19-16 05:00 PM
    Notice I keyed in on fan boys and not all android users, thanks.

Posted via CB10
    All users are welcome whether they're fans or not, as long as they're contributing positively to the forums. I have a banhammer and a wicked backhand for trolls and rabble rousers.
    12-19-16 05:13 PM
    What's always interesting to me is the way that so many people feel the need to convince others that their approach to technology is the "one true way."

There are stark differences between Android, iOS, and BB10's approach to mobile devices. But all three of them are preferred by some users who are perfectly capable of switching if their needs weren't being met.

Blackberry's failure in the marketplace doesn't negate the real innovations and solid development that went into BB10. Apple's "long-in-the-tooth" OS is still much beloved, whatever it's technical and configuration limitations, and Android has made excellent progress over the last couple of versions towards becoming a solid, powerful, and mature OS.

I say let the debates continue, but let's also appreciate each other's knowledge and experience.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-16 05:13 PM
    Interesting, thanks for the information guys. I was wrong on a number of counts.

However, that doesn't change the fact that BB10 behaves more to my liking, and that Android doesn't multitask reliably for me on the Priv. User experience: BB10 has more in common with a desktop OS than Android has in common with BB10, in my opinion.

Hopefully iOS and Android will be adjusted to behave more like BB10 sometime in the near future.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-16 07:30 PM
    Try open nine apps on bb10 at once
    12-19-16 08:02 PM
    Now why would anyone wanna do that? Can't say that I have ever had more than 4 going at any one time.

Bb10... da best.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-16 08:35 PM
    Interesting, thanks for the information guys. I was wrong on a number of counts.

However, that doesn't change the fact that BB10 behaves more to my liking, and that Android doesn't multitask reliably for me on the Priv. User experience: BB10 has more in common with a desktop OS than Android has in common with BB10, in my opinion.

Hopefully iOS and Android will be adjusted to behave more like BB10 sometime in the near future.

Posted via CB10
    Android and iOS are separate OS'. If you really want an OS that acts like Windows and gets more app support than BBOS and not obsolete. Get a Surface Tablet. You'll have Windows at your finger tips. This is the end of 2016, while we have made advances in technology like Tesla or SpaceX or VR. We just aren't at that level where affordable phones or premium phone can reach desktop functionality in my opinion.
    Last edited by ironhead0007; 12-19-16 at 10:04 PM.
    12-19-16 09:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    it ok to like a product. As you see, you were corrected only on things that were factually wrong. Nobody was criticizing you for liking BB10 more.
    12-20-16 01:09 AM
    Now why would anyone wanna do that? Can't say that I have ever had more than 4 going at any one time.

Bb10... da best.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, whether it's BB10 or Android I'm pretty sure I'm only using about 4 at once at any given time. The eight app limit was never an issue for me. And I wish Android still had a BB10-style layout (spread out) when I press the recent apps button, my LG G3 had them all spread out on KitKat but that went the way of the dodo with Lollipop and now Marshmallow. My workaround is putting all my most-used apps on my homescreen and switch to them by using the home button; it works extremely well but I'd prefer that tile layout again.
    12-20-16 11:32 AM
    I agree, whether it's BB10 or Android I'm pretty sure I'm only using about 4 at once at any given time. The eight app limit was never an issue for me. And I wish Android still had a BB10-style layout (spread out) when I press the recent apps button, my LG G3 had them all spread out on KitKat but that went the way of the dodo with Lollipop and now Marshmallow. My workaround is putting all my most-used apps on my homescreen and switch to them by using the home button; it works extremely well but I'd prefer that tile layout again.
    You can still get the tile layout, at least on the DTEK60. If my phone wasn't in for repair I would tell you exactly where to find it in the settings as I had it configured this way. But basically you have the choice between rolodex style (I believe this is default for most android devices), the tile layout where some tiles are bigger than others (default for BB Android), and then a third option that is basically exactly like BB10. My only gripe is that this view is not a screen of it's own that I can swipe to and away from, like it was in BB10.
    12-20-16 01:13 PM
    10.2.1 was rock solid for having multiple apps open. 10.3 was a disaster. Many apps force close or crash. Not sure what change BB made, but whatever it was made this aspect worse.

Generally speaking, there is no point in having an app or multiple apps open for the sake of it. However if they are doing something in the background and they need to stay open then the ability to keep them running is not a bad thing.
    12-20-16 01:16 PM
    You can still get the tile layout, at least on the DTEK60. If my phone wasn't in for repair I would tell you exactly where to find it in the settings as I had it configured this way. But basically you have the choice between rolodex style (I believe this is default for most android devices), the tile layout where some tiles are bigger than others (default for BB Android), and then a third option that is basically exactly like BB10. My only gripe is that this view is not a screen of it's own that I can swipe to and away from, like it was in BB10.
    That's unique to the Android BlackBerries, not available for anyone else sadly.
    12-20-16 01:36 PM
    Yes, BB10's Android won't last much longer.

However I'm still using Amazon Underground on Google-Android devices and will continue to do so (have to in order to use Amazon Prime Video, for example), and it offers free versions of certain apps and games. A lot of Google-Android users will be doing the same as Prime Video is quite popular.

I've also used it to obtain older versions of apps when newer versions from Google Play caused issues and I had no way to roll back to the previous version. So Amazon's appstore will stay relevant long after BB10's runtime dies.

And Amazon are flogging millions of cheap Fire tablets, the sales are increasing right now by something like 5000% compared to a year or two ago.
    Anecdotally, a lot of those Amazon tablets are moving because of the ability to install Google Play on them, even without root.
    12-20-16 01:54 PM
    I'm sorry but I can't stomach Google play services on phone in my life anymore. It's BB10. Windows phone or crappie in that order.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    12-20-16 02:00 PM
    it ok to like a product. As you see, you were corrected only on things that were factually wrong. Nobody was criticizing you for liking BB10 more.
    Are you seriously just repeating exactly what I said. I conceded already. Petty, petty person you are.

And no, there are factual differences. Android does not multitask in the same way as BB10. Though that doesn't necessarily mean that the fact that being RTOS has anything at all to do with it (as I had previously believed).

Posted via CB10
    Soulstream likes this.
    12-23-16 09:07 PM
    It's not a small thing when it's representative of the RTOS.

Like if I press back out of my Reddit app, it will reset the app and I'm at the front page again.

When I pop back into my browser, all of my tabs need to reload (if I haven't used it in a little while).

Hub losing a typed email when I take a call. Wasnt saved as a draft, but that's a Hub bug I bet. But the fact that I'd ever lose my place in the middle of an writing field is obnoxious.

Android just isn't as good as BB10. It really behaves more like iOS, and I notice this every day that I use it. In little ways, all over the operating system, and it gets tiring.

Posted via CB10
    If BB10 is so powerful, how come it can't run two apps in the foreground (multi-window) at the same time?

Why is it only capable of running 8 apps (active frames) at once? I could never go back to a OS that just starts randomly closing things just because I start a new app.

Also, I've only experienced 'app refreshing' when the phone is restarted, or if I close and reopen the app.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-24-16 01:40 AM
    If BB10 is so powerful, how come it can't run two apps in the foreground (multi-window) at the same time?

Why is it only capable of running 8 apps (active frames) at once? I could never go back to a OS that just starts randomly closing things just because I start a new app.

Also, I've only experienced 'app refreshing' when the phone is restarted, or if I close and reopen the app.
    Learn to manage your open apps? I guess I like being in control and not having to rely on saved states and hibernationon of "open" apps. BB10 doesn't have split screen, but it can have multiple apps running at the same time.

Android does multitask much better than iOS, but the user experience is frustratingly inconsistent.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-16 05:44 AM
    ...BB10 doesn't have split screen, but it can have multiple apps running at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    Don't forget that, particularly if one owns a Passport, Work Wide does provide simultaneous, split screen operation. One of the best utilities, if one has a wide screen.

Posted via CB10, on a BlackBerry Passport
    12-25-16 09:35 AM
    Why do people take this so seriously?
    12-25-16 10:49 AM
    The eternal search for something to validate their platform choice.
    TgeekB, MikeX74, Smokeaire and 1 others like this.
    12-25-16 12:51 PM
    I find it genuinely useful to hear about what different people value and prefer. I am very,very attached to the way I use my phone (BB10), because it streamlines my typical heavy volume work flow better than iOS or Android (both of which i've used extensively). But it's also helpful to hear from others who see and experience things differently. We're all limited by our experiences, so it's important to hear other perspectives.

It's an unfortunate reality of forums like this that people sometimes "talk past" each other, but that shouldn't prevent us from learning from each other.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-16 05:44 PM
    I see it the opposite way ... it's SUPER easy to keep using those apps as you move from phone to phone
    Plus you can install the same launcher and get a relatively unified UI across all your devices.
    12-25-16 05:55 PM
360 ... 12131415