Somehow reminds me at M$-Windows...
    Ones you start customise that mess it scares you even to dare for an update, eventually all your convenience tweaks are gone in seconds.

Posted either via -Passport -Classic / OS-10.3.++ is all you need
    Speaking from experience? This is my setup, and it survived 4 updates. 7.0, 7.1 dp1, dp2 and 7.1.1.
    Attached Thumbnails Why do so many on CrackBerry think Android is a bad OS?-screenshot_20161213-213344.jpg  
    Thud Hardsmack and grover5 like this.
    12-13-16 02:38 PM
    Speaking from experience? This is my setup, and it survived 4 updates. 7.0, 7.1 dp1, dp2 and 7.1.1.
    How did you manage to feed LSD to your phone...
    LoL..

12-13-16 04:53 PM
    Amazon do a fine job of running their own Android. It suits most companies not to bother developing for anyone other than Google or Apple because those two companies are powerful monopolists who are able to effectively bribe countries into giving them enormous tax breaks. (Yes Amazon probably do this too.) They also take advantage of cheap labour to drive enormous profits which are then kept offshore to avoid paying the taxes due. This gives them enormous leverage in keeping the barriers to entry into the industry high.
    You can argue that Apple does this - after all they're as much of a hardware company as a software company, and always have been - but that's hardly true of Google. Almost all of Google's money comes from advertising - not from cheap foreign labor - and Google probably has the highest average salary of any company in the world, and certainly the best benefits of any large company in the world.

As far as keeping foreign money off-shore to avoid US taxes, try to name a single US-based multinational that doesn't do exactly the same thing. It's perfectly legal to do, and has been common knowledge for decades. Congress could change those laws any time, but they haven't - not under Democratic or Republican leadership. Boeing, Exxon, McDonalds, Walmart, Lockheed, etc. - they all do exactly the same thing. Do you pay more taxes than you have to, or do you claim all of the tax breaks that you qualify for? I'm sure it's the latter - which is exactly what all of these companies are doing.
    MikeX74, TgeekB and app_Developer like this.
    12-13-16 09:31 PM
    Yep. This is on Android 6.0 MM, LG G3.

Attachment 414086
    Fair enough.

Multiple window mode still won't play the videos with sound when the screen is off. You'd need YouTube Red or NewPipe for that.
    12-14-16 12:00 AM
    How are you liking the Pixel XL?

I'm waiting for the 128gb XL to become available on the Google Store. Currently sold out.
    12-14-16 12:15 AM
    Fair enough.

Multiple window mode still won't play the videos with sound when the screen is off. You'd need YouTube Red or NewPipe for that.
    It can just use og YouTube or Firefox
    12-14-16 12:15 AM
    Fair enough.

While data caps are still a thing and battery life is still problematic on a smartphone, I think that from a design perspective mobile browsers should NOT allow video streaming while in the background.

Chrome for example let's me listen to podcasts I start from the browser even if I turn the screen off. But audio don't consume so much data as a video would. So yes, Android as an OS would have no problem with playing audio/video in the background, but as a programmer myself, I understand (and support) the reasoning for not allowing background video streaming in their official apps.
    12-14-16 03:05 AM
    How are you liking the Pixel XL?

I'm waiting for the 128gb XL to become available on the Google Store. Currently sold out.
    No its not Pixel its Nexus (with Pixel mod installed), because here Pixel XL costs 1200 € and thats too much money for a phone (no carriers selling them).
    12-14-16 03:42 AM
    You can argue that Apple does this - after all they're as much of a hardware company as a software company, and always have been - but that's hardly true of Google. Almost all of Google's money comes from advertising - not from cheap foreign labor - and Google probably has the highest average salary of any company in the world, and certainly the best benefits of any large company in the world.

As far as keeping foreign money off-shore to avoid US taxes, try to name a single US-based multinational that doesn't do exactly the same thing. It's perfectly legal to do, and has been common knowledge for decades. Congress could change those laws any time, but they haven't - not under Democratic or Republican leadership. Boeing, Exxon, McDonalds, Walmart, Lockheed, etc. - they all do exactly the same thing. Do you pay more taxes than you have to, or do you claim all of the tax breaks that you qualify for? I'm sure it's the latter - which is exactly what all of these companies are doing.

Might be off-topic, but I'll give you an example of something that I consider quite good.

Natwest / RBS offers an Android mobile banking app. So far as I am aware, they are the only UK bank that offers it in Google Play, Amazon Appstore and even in BlackBerry World. It's the same APK (doesn't require Google Play services, and why should it?!), they just go the extra mile to make it available on other platforms, because they know they have some customers using Amazon and even BB10, and it's a nice touch.

It is also an identical APK file from what I can tell. So I have doubts when other bank's apps tell me that they simply must have Google Play integration to work, and they won't offer it anywhere else.
    12-14-16 06:02 AM
    Just fancy a meaningless post for a change, as there are so many here on CB
    LoL

12-14-16 06:33 AM
    What has kept me away from Android has been the opposite of what has kept me from iOS.

Android is great because it has always been open and has always given so many choices. You can make it exactly the way you want, but it takes research, trial and error, apps, and fiddling with your phone which is something I don't really wanna do.

IOS on the other hand is stable and comfortable, but gives you almost no choices or customization and forces you onto the cloud. Something else I loath.

To me, BlackBerry always landed in a comfortable middle ground. It gives me right what I need out of the box with some wiggle room and management where I need it.

Android is like going into a Walmart Supercenter; A huge labyrinth of choices at affordable prices, but a bit boring and depressing as it's a monument to capitalism. iOS is like going to Trader Joes; Small, quaint, a bit pricey and restrictive with Trader Joe's brand and organic everything shoved down your throat whether you want it or not. BlackBerry is like Whole Foods; More choice and selection without being overwhelming, a bit pricey as well, but an enjoyable experience for the most part.

For me, it's not about lag, not wanting to support Google's 'machine', about the 'true multi-tasking', brand loyalty, or any of the other superficial bull****. What it comes down to is end user experience. Android is Papa bear, iOS is baby bear, BlackBerry is juuuuuust right.

The same reason I hate digging around and searching gmail when I have to change some setting I was looking for, is the same reason I would never go to Walmart just to pick up some milk.
    Last edited by ominaxe; 12-14-16 at 08:25 AM.
    12-14-16 07:29 AM
    What has kept me away from Android has been the opposite of what has kept me from iOS.

Android is great because it has always been open and has always given so many choices. You can make it exactly the way you want, but it takes research, trial and error, apps, and fiddling with your phone which is something I don't really wanna do.

IOS on the other hand is stable and comfortable, but gives you almost no choices or customization and forces you onto the cloud. Something else I loath.

To me, BlackBerry always landed in a comfortable middle ground. It gives me right what I need out of the box with some wiggle room and management where I need it.

Android is like going into a Walmart Supercenter; A huge labyrinth of choices at affordable prices, but a bit boring and depressing as it's a monument to capitalism. iOS is like going to Trader Joes; Small, quaint, a bit pricey and restrictive with Trader Joe's brand and organic everything shoved down your throat whether you want it or not. BlackBerry is like Whole Foods; More choice and selection without being overwhelming, a bit pricey as well, but an enjoyable experience for the most part.

For me, it's not about lag, not about not wanting to support Google's 'machine', about the 'true multi-tasking', brand loyalty, or any of the other superficial bull****. What it comes down to is end user experience. Android is Papa bear, iOS is baby bear, BlackBerry is juuuuuust right.

The same reason I hate digging around and searching gmail when I have to change some setting I was looking for, is the same reason I would never go to Walmart just to pick up some milk.
    Great post and so true.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-16 08:00 AM
    Great post and so true.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I like the way he put it.
    12-14-16 11:23 AM
    Is Android a bad OS?, the answer in My opinion is: depends, why? People generally takes Android phones as "Samsung Phones", Samsung UI (Touchwiz) is good for many and bad for a other ton of users, they (I include BlackBerry fans) think Android is generally bad because one experience, but have they proved the Nexus/Pixel phones?, have they proved another UI's, or to be more diversified, have they proved ROMS available for the phones they have used?, a Note 4 is already good, but put a custom rom and you Will absolute love it, same for other devices, as for BlackBerry android being or not being as good as BlackBerry 10, I hope Nougat brings the complete BlackBerry 10 experience to Android, being multitasking the prime feature of Nougat, I see it as the perfect chance to bring active frames a la BlackBerry 10, and, why not, a complete and absolute integration of the Hub in the system and not a separate app, it is posible, very possible, and very convenient given the circunstances to be honest, the Mercury probably will bring Nougat out of the Box, given it Will be the Last in-house device, Why not make it fully BlackBerry 10-like on Android?

Posted via CB10
    12-14-16 11:38 AM
    If you know your way around Walmart then you can know way around Android and not get overwhelmed. The fact that there are choices make it exciting then boring and depressing. The fact that I can't do much on iOS is boring. It's like making your choice of going to college/university instead of your parents choosing for you. If you don't like something you can get rid of it. I don't like that I can't disable apps on iOS or customize small things or the fact developers are pulling out support from Blackberry. I think that's sad and depressing.
    12-14-16 11:42 AM
    Might be off-topic, but I'll give you an example of something that I consider quite good.

Natwest / RBS offers an Android mobile banking app. So far as I am aware, they are the only UK bank that offers it in Google Play, Amazon Appstore and even in BlackBerry World. It's the same APK (doesn't require Google Play services, and why should it?!), they just go the extra mile to make it available on other platforms, because they know they have some customers using Amazon and even BB10, and it's a nice touch.

It is also an identical APK file from what I can tell. So I have doubts when other bank's apps tell me that they simply must have Google Play integration to work, and they won't offer it anywhere else.
    Every bank looks at their own customer base and makes platform decisions accordingly. Some of us don't have many customers at all who use the Amazon app store.

Some things for which Google play services are used are messaging infrastructure, better location services, app integrity validation.

As you say, it is a trade off. You lose some customers when you commit to GPS. For us, this is a tiny number of affected customers and those customers can use our mobile web site instead. Natwest may have different numbers in their population.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-14-16 11:45 AM
    Gots to clutch on them straws man! Desperate times for the Android Haters!
    I don't know, when I play YouTube videos in the background via Opera, there is quick skip when going in and out of the app, and the background audio quality is extremely poor. YouTube Red is a paid subscription.

Now the whole point of pointing to BB10's playing of videos in the background is that it is a true RTOS, which is unique among handsets.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-16 01:55 PM
    I don't know, when I play YouTube videos in the background via Opera, there is quick skip when going in and out of the app, and the background audio quality is extremely poor. YouTube Red is a paid subscription.

Now the whole point of pointing to BB10's playing of videos in the background is that it is a true RTOS, which is unique among handsets.

Posted via CB10
    Symbian was RTOS, and look how that ended.
    12-14-16 02:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    Every time I hear this "background youtube" argument (and i've heard it here on CB more times than I can count) a little part of me dies.It has been explained times and times again by me and other users that Android has absolutely no issues playing youtube in the background, it was a (good) design decision not to do so with the official youtube app.

BB10 being a RTOS has NOTHING to do with it.
    TgeekB, app_Developer and Uzi like this.
    12-14-16 02:07 PM
    If you know your way around Walmart then you can know way around Android and not get overwhelmed. The fact that there are choices make it exciting then boring and depressing. The fact that I can't do much on iOS is boring. It's like making your choice of going to college/university instead of your parents choosing for you. If you don't like something you can get rid of it. I don't like that I can't disable apps on iOS or customize small things or the fact developers are pulling out support from Blackberry. I think that's sad and depressing.
    And this is what makes the two of us very different people. It's not about knowing where to look. It's the fact that it's there is what upsets me. Just staring at the miles and miles of products that are basically the same or have minor differences. I mean, take Great Value brand for example; it's basically the same thing as everything else, often times it's just a re-branded product.

I know where to find the milk in Walmart, but that means I have to take a long walk through the watches, children's clothes, and soda sections just to get there.
    12-14-16 05:18 PM
    And this is what makes the two of us very different people. It's not about knowing where to look. It's the fact that it's there is what upsets me. Just staring at the miles and miles of products that are basically the same or have minor differences. I mean, take Great Value brand for example; it's basically the same thing as everything else, often times it's just a re-branded product.

I know where to find the milk in Walmart, but that means I have to take a long walk through the watches, children's clothes, and soda sections just to get there.
    I think this is often a fundamental difference between consumers. I can't shop at Walmart because there is just too much cheap junk and I get disgusted. But I can't stand the Apple Store because of the lack of variety and choice. For me, I want a variety of high quality choices that have been selected by knowledgeable professionals, and I don't mind paying more for that.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-16 05:41 PM

That's why there are pathways. So you don't have to walk through all of that.
    12-14-16 06:28 PM
    That's why there are pathways. So you don't have to walk through all of that.

Hahaha!
    12-14-16 06:45 PM
    I couldn't agree more android feels like they just keep adding stuff with no real plan as to efficiently using it. Bb10 feels well thought out with a goal. To bad they have stopped developing it who knows what it would have been now since we really haven't had anything since 10.2.1

#luvmybb10os
    I would be willing to try BB10 OS. I just don't have the money for a decent BB10 phone that works on Verizon and it isn't too old.
    12-14-16 11:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well being RTOS has really not helped it much, and as it has been pointed out time and time again, background YouTube can be done in Android.

Please, quit clutching at straws, its getting real silly.
    DrBoomBotz, Uzi and cribble2k like this.
    12-14-16 11:08 PM
360 ... 89101112 ...