That makes zero sense... Youtube removes all videos that use copyrighted/proprietary music performed by the artist. At best... you might be able to stream a video from a "Tribute Band". With the exception of a very very small amount of music artists that give the thumbs up. But all in all, streaming Youtube for music is just an exercise in futility. Any user is better off using Google Play Music (free version), Pandora (again free version), Slacker, Spotify, iHeartRadio, etc... all of which the free versions offer exactly what they're asking for. And all of which play in the background (GASP! Multitasking working!).

The point is... somehow on CB it's been ingrained into CB fan's heads that multitasking doesn't work on any OS other than BBOS, Which is just a load of crap. Using Youtube app as an example is non-sequitor. The app was designed to intentionally not work in the background unless you subscribe to YoutubeRed. Plain and simple. And honestly... anybody using Youtube as a source of music streaming is just... for lack of a better term... lazy or stupid... too many other options already available.
    Exactly. However after I posted I noted one user above was trying to watch videos from other things or websites. So this won't likely work because you're supposed to watch a video but they just want to listen to it while doing other things.
    12-12-16 06:19 PM
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...a92cc552b3.jpg
    how many apps multitasking here including Firefox? All developers problem? Or Android problem?!?

Why people think youtube is the only source of video by the way? Why people think its logic to be stuck with youtube red? Really?

Anyway all browsers showing here at most hybernate, not multitask. They all stop playing which just is pathetic as this thing isn't a Commodore 64 or some other archaic computer. Idiotic you cant reply a BBM or Whatsapp without stopping a live stream.

FF keeps running only when in desktop mode AND the stream being non flash. Which is not the case with my national TV channels and above Skysport example and actually almost all non youtube streams.

Some say 'it is to protect against unknown data consumption'. Maybe. Others note this way you are forced to watch google adverts and to use google apps. Take your pick.

Anyway, Looking forward to Nougat. Priv doesn't have it yet, which is a pity. As long year BB client and former OS10 user I still miss the nice multitasking capabilities of OS10. Even if I get the impression some people would like see it forbidden to mark up the weak things of Android it seems.

Now actually for all things I dont like about Android I found some work around and therefor are quite a happy Priv user.

This video thing is the only thing impossible yet to work around.
    Ok I've only just understood what you want to do. This isn't working because the websites and browsers expect you to watch the video not just listen to it in the background. The apps assume once you remove the video from foreground you've stopped listening and they pause the video.
    12-12-16 06:23 PM
    Android and iOS are great for the app experience but the OS' itself are not all that great, on each platform try and think away the whole app situation and look at how the OS functions as a whole and you'll see that OS' like Blackberry, webOS and Windows 10 (8 was better though) are superior.

Nowadays platform success rate is measured by the app situation and neither Blackberry nor Windows can recover from that and are therefore doomed to fail, however unfortunate that may be.

I'm personally not fussed about apps, so Blackberry suits me fine

Posted via CB10
    Good post, very true in my experience.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-16 09:32 PM
    It's not a bad OS at all.

It's the way Google run their 'open' alliance (as a monopoly, i.e. the direct opposite of 'open') that is bad. Imagine if Microsoft said you can only install stuff on your computer if it gets vetted through the Microsoft app store first. Would you still use your PC?
    How many Android phones are sold that can't load an app from someplace other than Google Play? Can you name even one mainstream device where this is true?

Since you probably can't, I'd have to completely disagree with your assessment of Android not being open, because this is exactly what "open" means. Contrast to iOS, where you cannot in fact install apps outside of the App Store (unless you jailbreak your device).

But here's the thing: the vast majority of users prefer to have Google vet their apps, and they want to be able to get everything from Google Play. That's called CHOICE. Nothing prevents them from unchecking the "alternate app stores" box and downloading from other sources other than their own choice.

The truth is that your big problem with Android and Google is that other companies aren't able to ride on Google's app coattails with their own alternative OSs - which is an entirely different argument.
    Uzi and vintagetechtm like this.
    12-12-16 10:28 PM
    The long standing argument about playing YouTube in the background never gets old. 😁
    Gots to clutch on them straws man! Desperate times for the Android Haters!
    12-12-16 11:25 PM
    I haven't used any other os apart from bb10 or bbos 5 on my curve but I do think ios is as smooth and flexible as bb10 or perhaps even better in functionality and performance. Android on the other hand is a bit complex to get use to but nearly 75% people in the world use android phones so it's no joke.

The Living Legend- Babbu Maan.
    Here is my opinion of Apple's iOS...

I have used it before. After some years using the Android OS.

I hated having little to no control over my phone. Apple dictated what my default applications would be. For years Apple dictated which keyboard would be your default unless you jailbroke your iPhone. I remember how hard I laughed when Apple announced iOS users could switch which keyboard they could use... The iSheep masses praised iOS and said hiw much better Apple was than Android. Wait, which is better the OS that has had that option for years or the one that finally got around to adding a 'innovative' feature? Let's talk about ring tones... How many years did Apple make a huge p.i.t.a. to have personalized ringtones? Android since the beginning of the OS allowed easy ringtone personalization. How many times have you seen multiple iOS users reach for a phone when a familiar iOS ring goes off? I have seen that more often with iPhones than Android phones. Even when I jailbroke my iPhone, I still had less control over my iPhone than I had in a fully stock OEM and carrier locked down Android phone... Also, how many alternative launchers does iOS have? Does it even have one alternative launcher? With my Android phone I have more options than I can even think of off the top of my head... Every bit if an Android phone can be personalized to make that Android phone representative of YOUR personal style as opposed to some company deciding what your personal style will be... I hate the Apple keyboard. I use SwiftKey keyboard on all of my Android phones. In my opinion, SwiftKey is leaps and bounds better than Apple's keyboard. I have arrow keys below my keyboard and I could have a dedicated number row right below my spelling suggestion bar. The SwiftKey version for iPhone does not have those features. No... Instead I have to use the flipping number key to type numbers...such a waste of time. My coworkers cringe every time I have to use one of the iCrapple iPads that my organization bought. Some of the iPads have been updated to the latest iOS... I'm not impressed. It's such a P. I. T. A. to get past the lock screen.

Lately, very few things that Apple iOS has launched as 'innovative' features were original to Apple. The new flavor of Apple iOS has elements that Android and Windows Mobile has had for years... In my opinion, I have no reason to go back to the iPhone, especially now that they don't even have a 3.5 headphone jack on their phones.

If I ever decide to 'be like everyone else' Apple will be my go to mobile phone. If I ever have a money tree that endlessly grows money for me, I will be willing to buy an overpriced iPhone... If I ever decide that I care more about how my phone looks and how impressed other people are with my phone, iPhone will be my go to phone. I proudly rock a OnePlus 3 (personal phone) and the Blackberry Priv (work phone). I am insulted when people ask which iPhone I have when I am using the OnePlus 3 - yes that does happen.

My mom had an iPhone 6s and now she has the iPhone 7s. She is consistently asking me to help her with her phone. I literally hate using her iPhone (both the 6s and the 7s). Now, obviously I have some very strong opinions about iOS... I do understand by that many people do have more positive opinions about the iPhone such as "it just works", "everything is connected, my phone, computer, and iPad..." I don't have to agree with those people. I'm glad people with those opinions and other positive opinions of iPhone have the right phone for them. For me, using the iPhone is worse torture than hearing someone's nails scratching a chalkboard. No person/company/product can please all people simultaneously.
    TCB on Z10 and anon(10096035) like this.
    12-13-16 12:44 AM
    Gots to clutch on them straws man! Desperate times for the Android Haters!
    Wow.... so far on this thread I read that people whom listen to music on You Tube are 'desperate', 'lazy', or 'stupid'.

Considering that most of the people I know listen to music on You Tube, that would make us from the north lands a sorry lot. Good thing I listen to music most of the time from my SD card, so I can be amongst the elite of the snow bound most days...whew!

Desperately posted on my Z30 whilst having a lazy tea and stupidly listening to Opeth on YouTube via the BB10 FastTube app.

Posted via CB10
    ominaxe likes this.
    12-13-16 06:51 AM
    Exactly. However after I posted I noted one user above was trying to watch videos from other things or websites. So this won't likely work because you're supposed to watch a video but they just want to listen to it while doing other things.
    I also think, had BB10 gained more popularity, some of this background functionality would have had to be limited. Video streaming consumes a lot of data and I can imagine users going through their data pretty fast by "listening" to youtube. You have to remember that even on BB10, while youtube does run in the background and you just listen to it (without watching the video) the entire video is actually still streamed.
    12-13-16 08:38 AM
    Your brains are probably just more frozen. 😉
    12-13-16 08:49 AM
    How many Android phones are sold that can't load an app from someplace other than Google Play? Can you name even one mainstream device where this is true?

Since you probably can't, I'd have to completely disagree with your assessment of Android not being open, because this is exactly what "open" means. Contrast to iOS, where you cannot in fact install apps outside of the App Store (unless you jailbreak your device).

But here's the thing: the vast majority of users prefer to have Google vet their apps, and they want to be able to get everything from Google Play. That's called CHOICE. Nothing prevents them from unchecking the "alternate app stores" box and downloading from other sources other than their own choice.

The truth is that your big problem with Android and Google is that other companies aren't able to ride on Google's app coattails with their own alternative OSs - which is an entirely different argument.

Amazon do a fine job of running their own Android. It suits most companies not to bother developing for anyone other than Google or Apple because those two companies are powerful monopolists who are able to effectively bribe countries into giving them enormous tax breaks. (Yes Amazon probably do this too.) They also take advantage of cheap labour to drive enormous profits which are then kept offshore to avoid paying the taxes due. This gives them enormous leverage in keeping the barriers to entry into the industry high.

In summary both Google and Apple are toxic companies and it is always harmful to see a market 'cornered' by a handful of dominant companies. Consumers pay the price, even if they apparently 'enjoy' the privilege of paying through the nose for their latest fancy gadgets.
    12-13-16 08:57 AM
    How bout youtube play in small window and reply to thread?Why do so many on CrackBerry think Android is a bad OS?-1481641212344.jpg
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    12-13-16 09:00 AM
    Why do so many on CrackBerry think Android is a bad OS?-1481641291712.jpg

You can download or play in the background too
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    12-13-16 09:01 AM
    Too much ideology here. We're just talking about phones.

Posted via Z10
    12-13-16 09:15 AM

I hated having little to no control over my phone. Apple dictated what my default applications would be. For years Apple dictated which keyboard would be your default unless you jailbroke your iPhone. I remember how hard I laughed when Apple announced iOS users could switch which keyboard they could use... The iSheep masses praised iOS and said hiw much better Apple was than Android. Wait, which is better the OS that has had that option for years or the one that finally got around to adding a 'innovative' feature? Let's talk about ring tones... How many years did Apple make a huge p.i.t.a. to have personalized ringtones? Android since the beginning of the OS allowed easy ringtone personalization. How many times have you seen multiple iOS users reach for a phone when a familiar iOS ring goes off? I have seen that more often with iPhones than Android phones. Even when I jailbroke my iPhone, I still had less control over my iPhone than I had in a fully stock OEM and carrier locked down Android phone... Also, how many alternative launchers does iOS have? Does it even have one alternative launcher? With my Android phone I have more options than I can even think of off the top of my head... Every bit if an Android phone can be personalized to make that Android phone representative of YOUR personal style as opposed to some company deciding what your personal style will be... I hate the Apple keyboard. I use SwiftKey keyboard on all of my Android phones. In my opinion, SwiftKey is leaps and bounds better than Apple's keyboard. I have arrow keys below my keyboard and I could have a dedicated number row right below my spelling suggestion bar. The SwiftKey version for iPhone does not have those features. No... Instead I have to use the flipping number key to type numbers...such a waste of time. My coworkers cringe every time I have to use one of the iCrapple iPads that my organization bought. Some of the iPads have been updated to the latest iOS... I'm not impressed. It's such a P. I. T. A. to get past the lock screen.

Lately, very few things that Apple iOS has launched as 'innovative' features were original to Apple. The new flavor of Apple iOS has elements that Android and Windows Mobile has had for years... In my opinion, I have no reason to go back to the iPhone, especially now that they don't even have a 3.5 headphone jack on their phones.

If I ever decide to 'be like everyone else' Apple will be my go to mobile phone. If I ever have a money tree that endlessly grows money for me, I will be willing to buy an overpriced iPhone... If I ever decide that I care more about how my phone looks and how impressed other people are with my phone, iPhone will be my go to phone. I proudly rock a OnePlus 3 (personal phone) and the Blackberry Priv (work phone). I am insulted when people ask which iPhone I have when I am using the OnePlus 3 - yes that does happen.

My mom had an iPhone 6s and now she has the iPhone 7s. She is consistently asking me to help her with her phone. I literally hate using her iPhone (both the 6s and the 7s). Now, obviously I have some very strong opinions about iOS... I do understand by that many people do have more positive opinions about the iPhone such as "it just works", "everything is connected, my phone, computer, and iPad..." I don't have to agree with those people. I'm glad people with those opinions and other positive opinions of iPhone have the right phone for them. For me, using the iPhone is worse torture than hearing someone's nails scratching a chalkboard. No person/company/product can please all people simultaneously.
    I agree with you. I love Android for the customization. I would like to add the lack of memory iOS has. With the exception of Nexus and Pixel, the 2nd leader (questionable) in Android, Samsung has gone back to expandable memory. I have used a BB as a temporary phone when I was 14 (18 now) and I disliked because lack of apps and that was the same from my friends who've had BB phones as well.

I recently purchased a DTEK50, in simple summary here some of my reasons why I like it. They are in no particular order:
    1. It's on the latest version of Android.
    2. Regular updates. Hopefully we get Nougat soon. I understand that it'll take time because programming isn't easy.
    3. It's local.
    4. It has really good hardware for a decent price.
    5. Upto 2TB expandable memory.
    6. Personalization with 3rd party apps from the Play Store.
    7. It's secure.
    7a. It's only secure if you are, just like using Windows.
    8. My old phone ran KitKat, 3 year old software that Samsung didn't bother to update. I don't want that. I believe Blackberry will keep all their phones updated not just their flagship phones.

I believe Blackberry can rise up to it's former glory with the route they're taking. Getting out to more people not a small group of the smartphone community will bring in newer and younger customers like me and generate more money. Android can be easy to use if you give it an open mind about.
    Uzi likes this.
    12-13-16 09:26 AM
    Too much ideology here. We're just talking about phones.

Posted via Z10

There are still some dinosaurs out there who resent the rise of Microsoft Windows and the age of the GUI and mouse. They work in the mainframe departments or at IBM, festering away, muttering about how awful Microsoft is. That will be us in a few decades' time.
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-13-16 09:32 AM

In summary both Google and Apple are toxic companies and it is always harmful to see a market 'cornered' by a handful of dominant companies. Consumers pay the price, even if they apparently 'enjoy' the privilege of paying through the nose for their latest fancy gadgets.
    Those two companies are fiercely competitive with each other, however.

Consumers win every day as they try to outdo each other.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    12-13-16 09:49 AM
    Those two companies are fiercely competitive with each other, however.

Consumers win every day as they try to outdo each other.
    LoL
    Yeah but they still remain both toxic.... all the same no matter which one someone fancy most, however.

Burn or drowning makes no difference fire and water are competitive you got the choice how to suffer.

Posted either via -Passport -Classic / OS-10.3.++ is all you need
    Last edited by hobgoblin1961; 12-13-16 at 10:25 AM.
    12-13-16 10:06 AM

I think all this "power" and functionality that Android had was also a disatvantage. In terms of functionality, Android was way ahead of its time. The hardware was not powerful enough yet to handle it. Apple was more inline with hardware limitations and prioritised user experience.

Android was clearly built and designed by an engineering team (rough around the edges, but with endless possibilities right from the start) while iOS always seemed build by a marketing team (everything is perfect, but only in this small bubble universe).

But due to all these capabilities, combined with still primitive hardware, Android got the reputation of "lagdroid".
    12-13-16 10:08 AM
    LoL
    Yeah but they still remain both toxic.... all the same no matter which one someone fancy most, however.

Burn or drowning makes no difference fire and water are competitive you got the choice how to suffer.

Most people don't suffer with their platform choice though. They have the option to move to something else if they don't like Android or iOS. If you don't need apps that's not a problem.
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-13-16 10:50 AM
    Honestly, I don't think Android is all that bad. But that's simply not my criteria for buying a product. It is just not as good as either BBOS, BB10 or Windows, IMO. But it's much better than iOS.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 12-13-16 at 05:16 PM.
    12-13-16 11:08 AM
    Managing notifications, emails, files...even photos. It's all so much easier and more fluid on BB10. I'm enjoying parts of my time with the Priv, and the form factor is great, but it feels like a car with a body glued to it, a spoiler pasted on, nothing feels as though it was designed with a cohesive plan in mind, just adding things as it grows. BB10 feels very deliberate, and that's why it's the best OS.

Posted via CB10
    I couldn't agree more android feels like they just keep adding stuff with no real plan as to efficiently using it. Bb10 feels well thought out with a goal. To bad they have stopped developing it who knows what it would have been now since we really haven't had anything since 10.2.1

#luvmybb10os
    javelin likes this.
    12-13-16 11:56 AM
    I couldn't agree more android feels like they just keep adding stuff with no real plan as to efficiently using it. Bb10 feels well thought out with a goal. To bad they have stopped developing it who knows what it would have been now since we really haven't had anything since 10.2.1

#luvmybb10os
    Well said!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-13-16 12:29 PM
    The vast majority of people who complain that Android is "a mess", or "not well thought out" haven't used it for more than a few days.

Yes, homescreens, the app drawer, widgets, shortcuts, the notification tray, and other things may seem daunting and disjointed at first, but once you get used to it, and customise it, there is no going back. You eventually understand that all of these features are at your disposal to tailor the experience to your exact needs.

I too was a BB10 die hard since launch, and continue to use it. But it just seems rather quaint now.
    12-13-16 12:37 PM
    The vast majority of people who complain that Android is "a mess", or "not well thought out" haven't used it for more than a few days.

Yes, homescreens, the app drawer, widgets, shortcuts, the notification tray, and other things may seem daunting and disjointed at first, but once you get used to it, and customise it, there is no going back. You eventually understand that all of these features are at your disposal to tailor the experience to your exact needs.
    Somehow reminds me at M$-Windows...
    Ones you start customise that mess it scares you even to dare for an update, eventually all your convenience tweaks are gone in seconds.

12-13-16 12:42 PM
    Somehow reminds me at M$-Windows...
    Ones you start customise that mess it scares you even to dare for an update, eventually all your convenience tweaks are gone in seconds.

Well, that doesn't happen on Android. Thankfully.
    12-13-16 12:46 PM
360 ... 7891011 ...