This was my feeling as well when I was issued a Samsung for work. The contrast between that and my personal Z30 was extreme. While access to a wide variety of apps for business and and pleasure is an nice advantage, the Samsung is missing the fluid motion of BB10, and I still cannot get used to the physical home button. However, the PRIV experience has been somewhat different. I actually like it. Not as fluid as the Z30, but the virtual buttons, the Hub, the pull-down quick settings, the peek tab (whatever it's called) and other BlackBerry touches have made it quite usable and even enjoyable.

Q10  OS 10.3.1.2474  Z30
    OH, RIM/BlackBerry, you created a group of spoiled fluid UI interface users...who would not be happy with anything else... a group of monster users... unless you made droid like UI of BB, touch and feel like BB and secure like BB, nothing else would make them "enjoyable" ever again...
    HighFlight88 likes this.
    10-21-16 12:39 PM
    Most of the negativity towards Android here on CB is a product of misinformation and misconceptions, or an outright dislike/distrust of everything Google. Sure, there's some legitimate gripes (I have a few of my own); however, having been around since the debacle of the original Storm I've had a front row seat for everything that's transpired. We can very easily lay everything at the feet of the Storm's shortcomings that drove people away, because it was claimed to be the "iPhone killer" and very much was not. With AT&T having an exclusive with the iPhone, customers that weren't on AT&T had to settle for something that wasn't an iPhone, and at the time there was the Storm. Had it been a hit out of the park, perhaps the past eight years may have gone differently. Alas, it wasn't, and they didn't. What did happen is there were angry and upset customers that really didn't like the Storm (we actually have a special sub-forum JUST for them). And, what also happened was the Droid. Customers (and CB members) began dropping their Storms and other BlackBerry devices for the new shiny thing, which could have ended there, but didn't...

Because a lot of them didn't quite leave; they decided to hang around CrackBerry and prattle incessently about how great their shiny new Droid was and how crappy their old dog of a BlackBerry was. A lot of these are the people that remember BlackBerry from the Curve days. Add a few Apple fans into the mix because they decided to return for whatever reason, and now we have a unique sitation on CB that didn't quite matestasize on the other forums - fans of their respective platforms trying to prove over and over again how great their devices were. This has, of course, left a sour taste in quite a few CrackBerrians' palettes that's only been reinforced every time they read something about the other platforms. Some have taken it upon themselves to get educated, others haven't. Or in a lot of cases, gotten educated from CrackBerry which has a TON of misinformation left over and perpetuated by angry members battling out over which is the better OS, and they're only reading from the CB fans' perspective which is in too many cases outright incorrect. Some of you are still around, posting the same tired arguments that mirror the BlackBerry movement: They're just remembering it from back in the day. Sure there were issues, but it's so much better now, why don't they just try it?? Sound familiar? Because it is - Android fans say it in nearly identical fashion to BlackBerry fans trying to convince other platforms' users to return or try it out.

So now I'm going to dispell a few of those misconceptions. First up, Google. Lots of people don't trust Google, and that's fine; I'm not going to attempt to change your opinion, but I will ask that you get your facts straight. Especially those of you complaining about Google yet using a Gmail address - quit it. Google asks for aggregate information to improve its products and services that you use, it does not steal it. You have the option to lock everything down if you so choose, and it's explained in the most transparent ToS of the top four platform designers what it will and won't do with your information per your set preferences. And it does not sell your information - it gets paid by advertisers to place their ads where they stand a chance to make more money. BlackBerry also does this, in case no one noticed. Their ToS is a little murky though, so maybe we shouldn't trust them. :roll-eyes:

Next up, apps. People complain Android is a ball of apps all over the place, nothing is consistent; why can't it be like BlackBerry. It is, but manufacturers want their own design (hello TouchWiz) and carriers muck it up even more with their own bloatware. Pre-Material Design Android wasn't pretty, particularly in the early days, but times have changed. On the subject of having to find apps "for everything" and not having enough time - you're on CrackBerry, take a day off and go read up on the best ones for whichever service you're needing. I did, it doesn't hurt, try it.

It's laggy. Overall, this isn't true. It certainly can be, but so can BlackBerry. How many times have we read a post saying "My BlackBerry is slow" and the reply is "How many apps do you have?". If you install too many apps on anything be it mobile or stationary, it'll slow down. Flagship devices can mitigate this somewhat by having higher end hardware, but there are those of you selecting cheap and/or older devices that can't hang and then making erroneous claims that "all" Android devices are the same. Blatantly false. I understand not wanting to spend top dollar on the unknown just to try it out, but you need to understand you're trying to get the experience on a device that isn't going to give you the experience and adjust accordingly.

Lastly, multitasking. Yes, it does. Most of the claims I see to support the "fact" involve YouTube, which is designed to pause when minimized. Other apps work just fine; I've been listening to Pandora while typing this and reading through email when it comes in. Some apps needed updates; I checked those, started them updating and came back to this post. Updates kept happening and Pandora didn't shut off, so if it can't multitask someone needs to explain what's actually happening. And speaking of busy people and YouTube, perhaps there'd be more time for games and customization if that wasn't happening? Just a thought.

On that note, the argument that Android just can't be used for business purposes is a misconception - people do it all the time. It wouldn't be an option for BYOD if that were true. So maybe let's not be so insulting to other platforms with incorrect generalizations, otherwise statements like "Perhaps all the people playing games on Android and iOS have time for games because they get done with tasks faster." is fair game.

In summary, let's knock off the old tired arguments that don't hold water anymore and stick to things that actually have merit, such as which has a better notifcation system (Android) or better designed app switching (BB10), and other differences. We got rid of those old trolls from yesteryear and we continue to monitor for them, lets have actual discourse on real pros and cons.
    Ecm, zocster, DrBoomBotz and 24 others like this.
    10-21-16 02:19 PM
    The truth might be somewhere in the middle.

Some healthy scepticism towards the overarching goals of tech companies might not me misplaced... :-)

(see what the future holds!)

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    10-21-16 02:35 PM
    Most of the negativity towards Android here on CB is a product of misinformation and misconceptions, or an outright dislike/distrust of everything Google. Sure, there's some legitimate gripes (I have a few of my own); however, having been around since the debacle of the original Storm I've had a front row seat for everything that's transpired. We can very easily lay everything at the feet of the Storm's shortcomings that drove people away, because it was claimed to be the "iPhone killer" and very much was not. With AT&T having an exclusive with the iPhone, customers that weren't on AT&T had to settle for something that wasn't an iPhone, and at the time there was the Storm. Had it been a hit out of the park, perhaps the past eight years may have gone differently. Alas, it wasn't, and they didn't. What did happen is there were angry and upset customers that really didn't like the Storm (we actually have a special sub-forum JUST for them). And, what also happened was the Droid. Customers (and CB members) began dropping their Storms and other BlackBerry devices for the new shiny thing, which could have ended there, but didn't...
    ....cut for length

I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE SO HARD. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH LIKE BUTTONS TO FULFILL HOW MUCH I LIKE THIS POST.
    Pcmx, zocster, thurask and 11 others like this.
    10-21-16 03:12 PM
    ....cut for length

I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE SO HARD. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH LIKE BUTTONS TO FULFILL HOW MUCH I LIKE THIS POST.
    Agreed

Posted via CB10
    10-21-16 03:54 PM
    I tried Android phones twice now. Both times it was a miserable experience. Was the Android OS THAT bad? I think the problem is that we are familiar with a superior/more fluid OS that many have a hard time accepting (what they consider) and inferior OS. I wrote my experience with the Edge (touching on some OS stuff) on this thread before.

I really, really wanted the Edge to be my next phone. I might look into Google Pixel/Nexus next attempt, until then the outdated Z30 is still the best overall from my experience. I will do away with WhatsApp (cya). I don't need it, use FB messenger/ texting, same thing. But once all the VR tech kicks in high gear and I can't use most of the new things at some point. But the Priv with the physical keyboard which I have no use for and the Dtek clones of other phones, no thanks. If BB can just update the Z30.. and maintain a flagship phone (get all apps from Amazon/Play Store), but BB is so diversified and the base users not being able to let go of the physical keyboard (both made BB) and (killed it).
    I wouldn't go pixel, I would go samsung if you can get a model with Exynos processor. We all know how power hungry Android is, and Exynos are more powerfull, and use less energy.

I would wait for galaxy S8, the pixel is nothing to write about. Snapdragon 821 is just a overclock on 820, 10% extra performance. Has no SD-card slot, no waterproof, and the design is quite poor. Despite Google's claims that pixels has "the best camera", in the only comparison I've seen by SafTV, the camera of the pxiel is no better than S7, the S7 is quite superior in low light
    10-21-16 06:18 PM
    It's laggy. Overall, this isn't true. It certainly can be, but so can BlackBerry. How many times have we read a post saying "My BlackBerry is slow" and the reply is "How many apps do you have?". If you install too many apps on anything be it mobile or stationary, it'll slow down. Flagship devices can mitigate this somewhat by having higher end hardware, but there are those of you selecting cheap and/or older devices that can't hang and then making erroneous claims that "all" Android devices are the same. Blatantly false. I understand not wanting to spend top dollar on the unknown just to try it out, but you need to understand you're trying to get the experience on a device that isn't going to give you the experience and adjust accordingly.
    [/FONT]
    It's laggy, it is... Even the other day I picked up a Q10, tha has very poor specs for this day and age. And that thing ran smooth despite being 2 years old. Show me a smooth Android running a snapdragon S4, running smooht... good luck

Every phone can become slow, Android is simply the worst ofender
    to boldly go likes this.
    10-21-16 06:20 PM
    There's Two types now.

BlackBerry & Blackberry Android

IMO

Blackberry should make BBOS11 in the future always have there OWN OS, and android for the average joe, but die hard BB fans for the BBOS Phones.
    vette2009 likes this.
    10-21-16 06:26 PM
    Most of the negativity towards Android here on CB is a product of misinformation and misconceptions, or an outright dislike/distrust of everything Google......
    That was a good read!

PS: There's an opening for your over at the Long Chats BBM Channel also.

Posted via CB App for Android on Tab4 (interim Playbook replacement)
    10-21-16 06:53 PM
    rejoice...wait, not yet...BlackBerry Ltd poised to make new smartphone announcement as online leaks increase | Financial Post
    BB, what ever you do, please, please do not wait until halloween!
    10-21-16 07:18 PM
    It's laggy, it is... Even the other day I picked up a Q10, tha has very poor specs for this day and age. And that thing ran smooth despite being 2 years old. Show me a smooth Android running a snapdragon S4, running smooht... good luck

Challenge accepted :

Samsung Galaxy s2 on lollipop. It has some stutters here and there but nothing that makes it unusable.

For reference the S2 had 1GB of RAM and a 1.2GHz dual core CPU. Less specs than any BB10 phone ever. Actually according to BlackBerry BB10 wouldn't run on these specs in a satisfactory manner. That's why the PlayBook didn't get it right?
    Uzi and Pcmx like this.
    10-21-16 07:55 PM

Nobody's going to show you anything running on an S4 nowadays unless they have a Z10, which I do, and it's laggy. So does that mean BB10 is laggy? Or do I correctly asses it might just be my own device, since I've read quite a bit from happy BB10 owners that it isn't laggy and it might just be that old hardware. I just got through saying dump the old tired arguments and live in the now. I've been using an Android device with a Snapdragon 801 (same as the Passport) and it doesn't suffer any lag, unless I've overused it and the battery got too low at which point it starts hoarding clock cycles to conserve battery.

Android does not lag. The correct statement is some, as with all platforms, have a bit of lag every so often. People here on CrackBerry still want past misconceptions to be current truths, let them go. They're misconceptions. They do nobody any good.
    TgeekB, cribble2k and grover5 like this.
    10-21-16 08:17 PM
    Nobody's going to show you anything running on an S4 nowadays unless they have a Z10, which I do, and it's laggy. So does that mean BB10 is laggy? Or do I correctly asses it might just be my own device, since I've read quite a bit from happy BB10 owners that it isn't laggy and it might just be that old hardware. I just got through saying dump the old tired arguments and live in the now. I've been using an Android device with a Snapdragon 801 (same as the Passport) and it doesn't suffer any lag, unless I've overused it and the battery got too low at which point it starts hoarding clock cycles to conserve battery.

Android does not lag. The correct statement is some, as with all platforms, have a bit of lag every so often. People here on CrackBerry still want past misconceptions to be current truths, let them go. They're misconceptions. They do nobody any good.
    here it goes another "my android never lags"... I got plenty of this... they never lag, until my hands rest on it. It's common experience in the forum than BB10 is smoother than Android, you z10 is an outlier

My priv with an 808, and very little clutter on it lags here and there, I've seen 820 lagging, yet, people with Androids from 1987 "never lag". The phone lags, you just don't notice it.

Different people, have different standards, and due to the nature of my work, I'm used to have pretty high end computers and professional video and photography cameras, and I do notice when software doesn't keep up.

Watch this video at 3:05. Watch when he starts scrolling. ALL androids do that, EVERY-SINGLE-ONE. That's lag.

And if you don't believe me, believe google engeneers, they tell you why Android isn't as stutter free as other OS's
    Is Android Doomed to Lag More than iOS? | TIME.com
    10-22-16 10:02 AM
    Challenge accepted :

Samsung Galaxy s2 on lollipop. It has some stutters here and there but nothing that makes it unusable.

For reference the S2 had 1GB of RAM and a 1.2GHz dual core CPU. Less specs than any BB10 phone ever. Actually according to BlackBerry BB10 wouldn't run on these specs in a satisfactory manner. That's why the PlayBook didn't get it right?
    That's a fresh install.. My priv was very smooth out of the box, but Android has the "windows XP disease", it's great when fresh, after 1 year you better do a clean install.

In a 200-300$ smartphone, having some stutter here and there is no big deal, it's as you say, very usable. But when you pay 780€ like I paid for my phone and I see it underperform despite having the wonder specs that Android fans so brag abuot in their phones...
    10-22-16 10:27 AM
    here it goes another "my android never lags"... I got plenty of this... they never lag, until my hands rest on it. It's common experience in the forum than BB10 is smoother than Android, you z10 is an outlier

My priv with an 808, and very little clutter on it lags here and there, I've seen 820 lagging, yet, people with Androids from 1987 "never lag". The phone lags, you just don't notice it.

Different people, have different standards, and due to the nature of my work, I'm used to have pretty high end computers and professional video and photography cameras, and I do notice when software doesn't keep up.

Watch this video at 3:05. Watch when he starts scrolling. ALL androids do that, EVERY-SINGLE-ONE. That's lag.

And if you don't believe me, believe google engeneers, they tell you why Android isn't as stutter free as other OS's
    Android's default animation speed is set at one second. But thanks for playing.
    DrBoomBotz, TgeekB and shaleem like this.
    10-22-16 11:01 AM
    I hate the way the files directories are organized and named. I hate all of the add riddled apps which many don't have a way to pay to get rid of. But probably will go Android with my next phone anyways...

Posted via CB10
    10-22-16 11:56 AM

A lot of people have preconceived notions of lag on Android as a result of the older OEM skins from Samsung and LG (they've cleaned up a lot lately though).

All software lags. In fact, there's no software capable of fully utilizing the hardware, at least not in the mobile sphere.
    10-22-16 12:34 PM
    A lot of people have preconceived notions of lag on Android as a result of the older OEM skins from Samsung and LG (they've cleaned up a lot lately though).
    I have a feeling that those who despise Android based on some ancient Galaxy with TouchWiz are the same who can't understand how people could have negative impressions of BlackBerry based on some antediluvian Bold they had once.
    10-22-16 12:38 PM
    I have a feeling that those who despise Android based on some ancient Galaxy with TouchWiz are the same who can't understand how people could have negative impressions of BlackBerry based on some antediluvian Bold they had once.
    You know what? You're absolutely right.
    10-22-16 12:40 PM

All software lags. In fact, there's no software capable of fully utilizing the hardware, at least not in the mobile sphere.
    I totaly agree with you, even iphones that are know for having the most optimized OS can stutter here or there. Android has been going leaps and bounds with latest OS's. The first Android I used was on 4.0, and that was a bit of a pain sometimes. Since 5.0 and 6.0, Android has been much more reliable and consistent, but there is still room for improvement.

The 7.1 on the Pixel seems to be really good performance wise even running on the 821, wich isn't the greatest processor out there ATM
    10-22-16 12:43 PM
    Priv isn't running touchwizz and has performance issues. Got A LOT better with updates, but the first iterations of 5.0 were very poor. It's described in almost every review. Android LAG isn't a myth, it's very well documented actually depite some fans liking to live in denial.

I have priv since launch and I totally noticed the difference in the first 4 or 5 updates.
    10-22-16 12:45 PM
    ....cut for length

Why do so many on CrackBerry think Android is a bad OS?-6358009482943178461869705228_100803043_like_251839c.jpg

Why do so many on CrackBerry think Android is a bad OS?-like-circle.jpg
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    10-22-16 01:45 PM
    Priv isn't running touchwizz and has performance issues. Got A LOT better with updates, but the first iterations of 5.0 were very poor. It's described in almost every review. Android LAG isn't a myth, it's very well documented actually depite some fans liking to live in denial.

I have priv since launch and I totally noticed the difference in the first 4 or 5 updates.
    I can agree with you here. The priv out of the box has optimization issues as it was BlackBerry's first attempt at android and in typical fashion they kinda botched it. It has gotten vastly better and there is still room for improvement. Android will get better with each update. I do understand that those little stutters can be make or break for some people though. I have no problem waiting a second for the phone to catch up with me. Everyone isn't willing to wait however so I'm waiting to see how things improve.
    10-22-16 01:48 PM
    To me it's pretty cut and dry. People don't like Android because they like BB10. That's fine if people don't like it, that's their right. They are either going to learn to like it or have a hard road ahead as BB10 continues to decline over the next few months and years. You can either adapt, or stay stuck using a device that is left for dead by the manufacturer living in the fantasy land that because you are using BB10 your device is secure and the others are not.
    10-22-16 02:17 PM

Some fans are indeed living in denial if they can only digest the negative reads. I'm almost certain I addressed that in my previous posts. But, if we have to follow your idea of what counts as a legitimate post - BBOS and BB10 never stood a chance at making any headway into the masses, iOS is somewhat decent, Android isn't all that bad, and Windows has the best chance at being the top OS. Because some people had a less than stellar experience or they're nitpicking to prove their point. If it's not currently on the market or it has to be searched out in order to purchase, it's no longer a viable example. If you don't want to like Android, don't. But spreading misconceptions is something I take issue with, whether it be Android, BB10, iOS, Windows, Linux, or what have you.

I'm not saying there is no lag at all, ever, which is what you're inferring, I'm correcting your statement that all Android devices lag all the time. See the difference? Since my Android is zippy and lag free most of the time, I determine it to not be laggy. Android also doesn't suffer from a slowdown from age - you're only hearing from the people that actually have that problem. Android 5.0 having issues is just the same as the iPhone 4's antenna problem - it doesn't speak for the platform overall, only people trying to spread FUD would assume it does.
    10-22-16 02:33 PM
360 ... 23456 ...