OK, so I asked the question about why apple is so successful and that thread is still running with lots of interesting input, but now a new question which keeps popping up, why is android so bad?? A lot of us BB10 users are being told that iOS is so much better and secure etc that on these forums we are pushing people away from the DTEKS and Privs.. should we died hard blackberry persons not be embracing the android blackberry????

Posted via CB10
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    10-19-16 12:09 PM
    Android isn't bad. Millions love it. The Dteks and Priv are burdened with the BB name. Every other Android sells just fine.
    10-19-16 12:17 PM
    I think that some of the hate here stems from the fact that BlackBerry has basically abandoned its in-house OS in favor of it. Others seem to hate it simply because it isn't a BlackBerry product. Others? Because(as a means for Google to gather data from those who use it) it flies in the face of loyalists who believe in BB's promise of privacy and security.
    10-19-16 12:28 PM
    Android isn't bad depending on what you're using it for. My Son uses his for playing games and watching videos. He loves it.

Posted via CB10
    TGIS likes this.
    10-19-16 12:56 PM
    ... should we died hard blackberry persons not be embracing the android blackberry????
    Talk about sheep?

If BlackBerry's version of Android is something you personally needs.... it is a great choice.
    If BlackBerry's chosen form factors meet your needs.... it is a great choice.
    If BlackBerry's pricing of those devices meets your budget.... it is a great choice.
    If you trust BlackBerry not to abbonded yet another platform.... it is a great choice.
    If BB10 no longer meets your needs and you need something close to it.... it is a great choice.

I "think" for most long time BlackBerry fans.... that's just too many "ifs". As jaydee5799 said, it's not Android that everyone finds a problem with... it's just BlackBerry.

I think if the DTEK60 really is only $499.... how might things have been different if it had been release a year ago and was on T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T instead of the PRIV???? But at this point with BlackBerry getting out of hardware, and no clear roadmap for Android develpment... I just don't see the point of sticking with BlackBerry.
    Last edited by Elite1; 10-19-16 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Wrapped quote in [QUOTE] tags
    10-19-16 01:15 PM
    I was against the whole android thing on a blackberry phone but honestly the PRIV is quite nice to me. I still love the PP with BB10 os but the fact that BlackBerry does not offer the PP on a CDMA provider or vice-versa, is a disappointment. I'm proud to carry a phone with the stamp of BlackBerry on it whether BB10 or Android!
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    10-19-16 01:17 PM
    I haven't used any other os apart from bb10 or bbos 5 on my curve but I do think ios is as smooth and flexible as bb10 or perhaps even better in functionality and performance. Android on the other hand is a bit complex to get use to but nearly 75% people in the world use android phones so it's no joke.

The Living Legend- Babbu Maan.
    Last edited by Karan Riar; 10-19-16 at 11:30 PM.
    10-19-16 01:21 PM
    Android isn't bad depending on what you're using it for. My Son uses his for playing games and watching videos. He loves it.

Posted via CB10
    Lolster... well said! ;-P

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    10-19-16 03:37 PM
    I like a lot of things about BB10 better than Android, but I like some things about Android as much or better than BB10 too. I personally don't care for iOS, so I won't be one telling you it's better, OP.

Android doesn't need to be more complicated. It just offers more possibilities if options and "complicated stuff" is your thing.

Plus there's that whole apps thing... But that's a story for another thread. (Or hundreds of them.)
    Ecm, zocster and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    10-19-16 04:39 PM
    Android isn't a single experience.
    It's a huge range of hardware and the OS has many flavors too. Some blow chunks and some are pretty serviceable and everything in between.
    10-19-16 04:47 PM
    For those that have never tried Android, you would probably be surprised at how comfortable it might feel, if you came from PlaybookOS or BB10 (perhaps due to the android player and the fact that you may already be somewhat familiar with the feel of some of the apps).

Posted via CB App for Android on Tab4 (interim Playbook replacement)
    Last edited by spARTacus; 10-19-16 at 07:18 PM.
    10-19-16 04:48 PM
    I bought a Samsung tablet to get used to using android. I hate it. Well hate is a strong word. I strongly dislike things about it.

I don't like the home button, back button and the open apps. It's annoying to imo. Makes jumping between apps frustrating. I took my email back off it The tab. Much easier to use on my z30.

I don't use a lot of social media apps so. I am stretch to find apps that I wanna use on it. In my honest opinion bb10 is by far a superior os. That being said I like that I can use the SD card to load everything on so saves the small amount of storage for the os.

Imo bb10 is a way more fluid and user friendly os. I find android cumbersome. And a bit backward thinking.

#luvmybb10os
    10-19-16 05:03 PM
    It's a getting better but here are a few reasons why.

1) you have to go find nearly everything yourself and therefore there is very little commonality between apps and services. You may find an SMS app, phone app, file manager, music player, video player that are all individually awsome but all together form a mash of app formats that are inevitability variable. The people who like all the major features built-in, integrated and seamless will like BB10 or iOS. Some people simply hate that they have to go searching around for basic solutions once they have an android phone.. Kids love it though because they have time to waste on apps, customizing and experimenting.

I don't think it's that bad, but a lot of people who use it simply ignore the playstore and use as a phone with SMS. They likely don't know what BB10 is or how it may be better suited to their use case.

2) ione thing I hate are all the menu items at the top of the screen. There is no purpose to it other that "that is the Android way". If that's the design philosophy, then what else is inefficient.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-19-16 05:11 PM
    Android, iOS....it's different. One is going to be better for you, and for someone else it's going to be the other. Never gonna be unanimous.
    crucial bbq and TgeekB like this.
    10-19-16 05:36 PM
    I bought a Samsung tablet to get used to using android. I hate it. Well hate is a strong word. I strongly dislike things about it.

I don't like the home button, back button and the open apps. It's annoying to imo. Makes jumping between apps frustrating. I took my email back off it The tab. Much easier to use on my z30.

I don't use a lot of social media apps so. I am stretch to find apps that I wanna use on it. In my honest opinion bb10 is by far a superior os. That being said I like that I can use the SD card to load everything on so saves the small amount of storage for the os.

Imo bb10 is a way more fluid and user friendly os. I find android cumbersome. And a bit backward thinking.

#luvmybb10os
    I too have a Samsung tablet and went through the exact path you did and feel exactly the same about Android and why I "hate" it. The tablet is now web browsing and video watching device for me and nothing more. Even at that, I need a minimum of two browsers installed to be able to view any web page I want - my Z30 uses the stock browser and I have no issues. Android is also too clunky for my taste, not fluid at all. I swear it's design was based off of Win 3.1. It's what it feels like to me.

So OP, why am I not following BlackBerry along to its Android future? Because I use an Android device every day and I think it sucks and I don't see why I should have to spend my money on a product I already know that I won't enjoy.. just to support BlackBerry?! Nuts to that.
    acovey likes this.
    10-19-16 05:46 PM
    Android OS isn't bad. It's actually pretty good. However, BB10 OS is so much better. I wish BlackBerry were able to continue development. Until it stops working or I get another device, I'll be using my...

 Z10 STL 100-3 with vitamin (SR) 10.3.2.2836 (OS version 10.3.2.2876) on AT&T
    skinnymike1 and syclone1978 like this.
    10-19-16 06:16 PM
    The problem with Android is that there really isn't one operating system. AOSP, the open source version of Android, is actually quite a decent OS. The problem for mnay people is the full Google version of Android which does introduce quite a bit more data mining, but for many people that is one of the benefits because it allows their handset to be able to do so much more for them.

You can also add in the number of skins that different OEM's use to differentiate their devices from others, which can range from useful to completely unintuitive.

In many ways, it's the things that can make Android compelling, it's openness and extensibility, that also make it frustrating in the way of poor OEM support, fragmentation, and the secret sauce of Google Play being on your device or not that can make all the difference.

I have an old HP Touchpad that I've loaded Android on, all the way up to Marshmallow, and the OS itself isn't terrible. Even without Google Play Services on it, I've still found apps for most of what I need through open source channels such as F-Droid, or even direct downloads from companies such as Adobe.

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    10-19-16 06:26 PM
    I hated my Tab4 physical home button also when I got it. Then loaded Swipe Home Button to bring BlackBerry like gestures to it. Rarely ever use the home button now. I didn't care for the back and recent-apps soft buttons when I first got the Tab4, and used the BlackBerry gestures instead. However, over time I came to realize that in some cases it's just as easy to hit the back or recent-apps soft buttons as opposed to the gestures. For me, it was just some time to get used to. For me, those two soft buttons are just fine now and I use them interchangeably with the BlackBerry gestures all the time.

I still hate the physical home button though and one reason (after seeing the light and not having a physical home button with the Playbook) why I will never ever have an iPhone. With Android, you can avoid using the physical home button, for those Android devices that still have them. I don't think the BlackBerry Androids have them.

Posted via CB App for Android on Tab4 (interim Playbook replacement)
    Pcmx, HighFlight88 and bh7171 like this.
    10-19-16 07:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    I can do way more for my business with my Android then what a Blackberry10 device could do for it any day. Hands down.

I held onto my z30 way longer then i should've. As soon as I spent a few days learning about the capabilities that Android has to offer it was easily a no brainer.

PS I don't have a single game, tv or movie on my non-Blackberry Android-powered Asus smartphone.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    10-19-16 10:10 PM
    It's a getting better but here are a few reasons why.

1) you have to go find nearly everything yourself and therefore there is very little commonality between apps and services. You may find an SMS app, phone app, file manager, music player, video player that are all individually awsome but all together form a mash of app formats that are inevitability variable. The people who like all the major features built-in, integrated and seamless will like BB10 or iOS. Some people simply hate that they have to go searching around for basic solutions once they have an android phone.. Kids love it though because they have time to waste on apps, customizing and experimenting.

I don't think it's that bad, but a lot of people who use it simply ignore the playstore and use as a phone with SMS. They likely don't know what BB10 is or how it may be better suited to their use case.

2) ione thing I hate are all the menu items at the top of the screen. There is no purpose to it other that "that is the Android way". If that's the design philosophy, then what else is inefficient.
    I see it the opposite way: I can buy an Android phone from any of dozens of manufacturers, yet, I can still use Solid Explorer, Chrome, MX Player, etc. on any of those phones and have exactly the experience and features I like and am used to - yet I can buy whatever hardware I wish, so if I need a great camera, or exceptional audio, or long battery life, or a bargain price, I can shop around and get exactly that - and still get to use MY preferred apps.

I doubt it would take anyone more than 2-3 hours to find 5 or 6 key apps that they like, and once found, it's SUPER easy to keep using those apps as you move from phone to phone. It seems like you (and a few others) are making a HUGE deal out of what is really a minor issue for most people.
    10-19-16 10:54 PM

#luvmybb10os
    I also bought an android tablet, to see if I could actually live with and Android BB and I have to agree with everything you said. It's really just a crappy experience. BB10 really is the superior OS, so sad it dying a slow painful death RIP BB10

The other thing that really puts me off Android, is GOOGLE having the grubby little hands in everything I do

I've just ordered a windows phone, hopefully it'll work out, otherwise I might just be in the market for a shiny new flip phone haha
    10-19-16 11:15 PM
    So OP, why am I not following BlackBerry along to its Android future? Because I use an Android device every day and I think it sucks and I don't see why I should have to spend my money on a product I already know that I won't enjoy.. just to support BlackBerry?! Nuts to that.
    So MrScotian, what device are you using, or do you plan in switching to ?
    10-19-16 11:20 PM
    Ice cream sandwich sucked major big time. Horrible, laggy OS. That's about the extent of my android experience, unless you count amazon's fireOS, although that is so heavily modified it's not recognizable as android, really.

That said, boy the leEco phone for less than $200 looks so tempting. Great specs on it. BlackBerry better announce something fast about dtek60 or mercury or I might bite on the Chinese phone.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    10-19-16 11:22 PM
    So MrScotian, what device are you using, or do you plan in switching to ?
    THAT is what I am wrestling with at the moment. My Z30 works fine but at some point I will need to change it. Windows phone appeals to me but my concern is that I will repeat my BB10 experience all over again. I've made it clear that Android is not an option. So that leaves iPhone... I don't "hate" it but getting an iPhone would be because I couldn't find a better option.
    10-19-16 11:33 PM
    May be Blackberry users misses d over d top security features in Android.
    acovey likes this.
    10-20-16 02:50 AM
360 123 ...