Just a scotch induced question... Why do smartphone users gravitate towards the "Favorite Sports Team" attitude, when in the past similar situations reacted differently?

How long do you think it will be before the smartphone wars finally degrade to the point that most smartphones finally settle to a level where consumers don't give two bits about which smartphone you use?

I remember the early days of personal computers. (disclaimer, I'm jumping a few years ahead of the introduction to the personal computer) You had the TRS-80 series, Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800 (a very powerful yet underrated machine based on the same 6502 chipset that the Apple II was based on), Commodore, Amiga (also a Commodore product IIR), IBM XP, Franklin (apple knockoff), and many many more which I would have to dig deep to remember (or google search). , I even remember various CPM machines that were distributed by many manufacturers.

Sure, at the time everybody would pick their favored machine/os/platform, but the one thing that was shared by everyone despite their favorite machine was one simple concept... Each and all of them should be compatible or at least be able to share data with the others. Good God! I remember the days when you had carry multiple cables and adapters around with you because you never knew exactly what you would need in any given scenario. Dayum... to this day I am [i]so[/o] happy I rarely have to pack a X-over ethernet/cat-5 cable around with me. Despite it all, anyone and everyone in the IT world would bend over backwards to help each other. There was no "sorry, you're using a platform we don't use" attitude.

The number one focus I would like to see in the mobile/tablet/smartphone industry, is the ability to for all of them to work together. I remember the old PC days that were a nightmare and took forever to come to a somewhat workable solution. And I'm really peeved to see it re-awakened in the mobile computing industry.

[disclaimer]Just got home from a luncheon in which a lot scotch was served, and we debated this very topic. So if I'm not coming across very articulate... I'll correct it in a few hours.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 03-05-12 at 04:40 PM.
    up488, kbz1960 and VanCity778 like this.
    03-05-12 04:37 PM
    I don't get it either.

I don't care (and everyone who I know, don't) what kind of phone you have.

Maybe it makes some people feel smarter than they really are.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-05-12 04:47 PM
    I think it's just human nature. Sports teams, car makes, politics, smartphones..... a lot of people want to defend and/or justify their purchases/decisions. Humans just seem to like to create things to segregate the population and then go with the "Your either with us or against us" mentality.
    jafobabe and _BlackCherry_ like this.
    03-05-12 04:50 PM
    Well, my sense of humor says the answer is, "It's smartphones for smartasses."
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-05-12 04:55 PM
    I would like to see a day when what platform you choose doesn't matter and everything that works on one can work on another. A little bit of what html5 is headed for but there will still be a lot it can't do either.
    03-05-12 04:55 PM
    Smartphones cost alot of money. People like money and work hard for it. Any significant purchases made with said money becomes tied into the individuals emotions. Therefore Criticizing these investments inflicts damage on ones feelings. Then the fighting ensues.

Sent from the best mobile device ever --Samsung Galaxy Note
    03-05-12 05:10 PM
    I don't know why it's a big deal, either. Some of my friends have a BlackBerry, some have iPhones, and some have Androids. I admit that there is something good about every single smartphone or phone out there. iPhone is my least favourite; but they have a ton of apps and full touchscreen and I respect them for those advantages - but I won't bash someone if they have an iPhone just because it's not my preferred choice. Some people just want to promote their _____ (insert brand name here) over all the others; and it will annoy me when someone boasts about their phone and puts down others' phones. It's not just rude, but childish and it gets old real fast. I love Androids. I'm thinking of getting my brother an entry-level Android smartphone for his birthday; and I have a BlackBerry. I see no issues with people having different phone or brand name preferences.

Smartphones are like clothes. Not everyone has the same taste; so we'll all have different products. But that doesn't mean you gotta have what everyone else has; or that you should mock someone else for being unique. Or if someone's wearing something you don't like, you just don't buy it. It's the same with smartphones. Just don't buy it! We all have different opinions and purchasing preferences; and I don't think we should be criticized for that.
    Jude526 likes this.
    03-05-12 05:17 PM
    My smartphone is better than yours... and my dad can beat up your dad.
    03-05-12 05:19 PM
    Just a scotch induced question... Why do smartphone users gravitate towards the "Favorite Sports Team" attitude, when in the past similar situations reacted differently?

How long do you think it will be before the smartphone wars finally degrade to the point that most smartphones finally settle to a level where consumers don't give two bits about which smartphone you use?

I remember the early days of personal computers. (disclaimer, I'm jumping a few years ahead of the introduction to the personal computer) You had the TRS-80 series, Apple IIe/II+, Atari 800 (a very powerful yet underrated machine based on the same 6502 chipset that the Apple II was based on), Commodore, Amiga (also a Commodore product IIR), IBM XP, Franklin (apple knockoff), and many many more which I would have to dig deep to remember (or google search). , I even remember various CPM machines that were distributed by many manufacturers.

Sure, at the time everybody would pick their favored machine/os/platform, but the one thing that was shared by everyone despite their favorite machine was one simple concept... Each and all of them should be compatible or at least be able to share data with the others. Good God! I remember the days when you had carry multiple cables and adapters around with you because you never knew exactly what you would need in any given scenario. Dayum... to this day I am [i]so[/o] happy I rarely have to pack a X-over ethernet/cat-5 cable around with me. Despite it all, anyone and everyone in the IT world would bend over backwards to help each other. There was no "sorry, you're using a platform we don't use" attitude.

The number one focus I would like to see in the mobile/tablet/smartphone industry, is the ability to for all of them to work together. I remember the old PC days that were a nightmare and took forever to come to a somewhat workable solution. And I'm really peeved to see it re-awakened in the mobile computing industry.

[disclaimer]Just got home from a luncheon in which a lot scotch was served, and we debated this very topic. So if I'm not coming across very articulate... I'll correct it in a few hours.
    Because most of them have some sort of mental bull incrustation in their brain about the things they have. Easy as that, iphone users that bash anything else are full of sh*t thinking iOS is the best because the device sell and thats the only argument they have, blackberry users that bash are full of sh*t because they think blackberry phones are the only ones that can be used for business, living in 2006, and well, android users dont give a crap about anything else because they are too busy tinkering with their phones, they usually only troll when one of the two above groups start to subjectively babble fallacies about android devices, for the most part, they dont care. From what i've seen, most android pro/advanced/elite users are skilled developers or have some sort of experience developing software, they usually dont resort to the same methods illogical people use.
    Nobody looks at the other platforms or even bothers to learn about them when they stick to something. Which is why you see the flame wars, because its just a bunch of uninformed people correcting and trolling each other. You can't really compare society response to computing platforms 20 years ago to right now, culturally, its way too different.

And then you also have the religious ones that just want to shove down everybody else's throat how great their device is by portraying it as the "only" one. Want it to stop? brainwash everybody so they stop throwing puns and provoking people everywhere they can just for the sake of defending their twisted ideals.

You cant kill fanaticism, its impossible, everyone everywhere will always have the need to defend and stand for what they have, even if they have to bend their own reality and perception of the product, even if its bad or lacking somewhere, specially when they have never tried anything else or never really put an effort on trying something else, like buying a device and returning it 2 days letter because it didn't do "X" thing the way you wanted. Just as hard as convincing a hardcore toyota fanboy to buy a jeep wrangler, after only owning toyotas, or not even buying, just discussing about the two. One will just cry out loud how IFS is better, the other how SFA is better blablabla noise noise.

Most people here say "yeah i dont know what the big deal is, dont know whats wrong about using the phone you like" but then you see them two forums down with "we need tools, not toys, blackberrys are for work and anything else is a toy for teens" and you are like "are you f*cking kidding me?" Its just... priceless.
    Last edited by nms64; 03-05-12 at 05:34 PM.
    kraski likes this.
    03-05-12 05:22 PM

Tribalism. Primitive desire to belong to one group or another. Belonging to the same species isn't good enough.

To tell the truth before I came here(before I picked up the PB I'd never heard of this site) I didn't even know this condition existed. My production partner uses a BB, one of my best mates uses and iphone. I use a Droid. Our phone choices don't even come up in conversation unless we're showing each other a new app or something on the web.

It goes way past just "choice" here though. Some can't post two words without making a personal comment about someone else.

And some of these comments are far more than 'lite banter'. Homophobic comments/name calling runs rampant in many of these threads.

Threads about punching store clerks in the face.

And, as I mentioned in another similar discussion thread earlier, if you want to discuss about any subject that others don't like. You're PM'd "You don't belong here." Like h.s. kids in a locker room bullying someone, anyone, who they feel is not one of them.

I try to be civil to everyone here... I'm a firm believer in Kharma...

But I'm from the Bronx. This is a public forum. I'll go where I please.

I'd say something about us all being human beings and it's sad that one human being would place more value on a device than another human being, but then THAT particular issue goes far beyond this board...

Now about that scotch....

Cheers!
    Morty2264 and moiselles like this.
    03-05-12 05:33 PM
    Someone else said it really well in a forum thread: some people see smartphones as an extension of themselves, and being ridiculed for their choice makes them feel personally attacked.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-05-12 06:27 PM
    I had BB. I have been with Android mow over two years. I respect ppl on their choice. I don't bash them. No one should be rude for liking something else. We live in a democracy and we are fortunate to be able to choose what we want. If people respected each other more we might get along better. There is nothing wrong with our individual choices. Be respectful of one another. The Golden Rule should be in our daily life.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-05-12 06:50 PM
    1. Ppl want to be important: Instead of care about the closest ppl around and who love them most or the future of humanity they have to convince other ppl that they made wrong decision by buying a phone with....smaller screen size.
    2. Ppl want to be individual: It's hard to be individual on a planet with 7 billions ppl. Well just go buy some expensive smartphones and cool luxury clothes...at least it will make them more individual than the rest 90%.
    3. Ppl think they are clever: By reading smartphones specs on "techblogs" everyday and know the newest "leaked" features of the upcoming phones and ur friends don't

Kids who buy their gadgets with their parents money think they are better than ppl who works their asses off to pay the bills and try to feed their happy family just because their smartphones are better?

03-05-12 07:55 PM
    I see it very different. For as long as there where pcs people that understood them only was helpful to like minded people. People that where into coding talked and helped people w/ writing/understanding code. Same thing in all fields. Some hackers played well while others didn't. None of the groups where interested in teaching outside of the group. Now the secretes are out and the groups are mixed fields.
    I honestly have to say the cross platform has destroyed this site. When I started coming here, yrs before becoming a member. This site was all about learning. Then 1 day a poster started putting us down about the blackberry. Its been an uphill battle ever since. I don't know how anybody expects us to just turn a cheek from such disrespect. I'm not Christ.
    OP the answer is simply ignorance. People come here running there head about stuff they don't know about. They have to defend their decision of what device they bought. The age old mind set "I need to belong".
    03-05-12 08:23 PM
    People just can't accept the fact that others like different things.

It also doesn't help that some people get offended when others state facts about a platform and see them as insults.

I really don't care what others use, I just hope they are enjoying their device as much as I enjoy mine.
    03-05-12 08:49 PM
    To me, the whole point of technological progress today like the industrial revolution back in the day is to move forward. Most people here say, "oh well, you are asking for too much from a phone". May be, but this is the ONLY way to advance the human civilization. If we didn't asked for more all the time, we would still live in caves or will own slaves!

Grow up! Either RIM develop their systems to be par with other smartphone manufactures or die trying. Simple as that!
    03-05-12 08:54 PM

You were obviously not an Amiga user. Sometimes the parallels between those "discussions" about IBM machines and the devil Microsoft and the now RIM/Apple talk is frightening.
    spyeagle likes this.
    03-05-12 09:07 PM
    Smartphones cost alot of money. People like money and work hard for it. Any significant purchases made with said money becomes tied into the individuals emotions. Therefore Criticizing these investments inflicts damage on ones feelings. Then the fighting ensues.

Sent from the best mobile device ever --Samsung Galaxy Note
    Agree completely. So for those who criticize one's decision by degrading bb Especially in this bb forum. Grow up.
    03-05-12 09:10 PM
    Agree completely. So for those who criticize one's decision by degrading bb Especially in this bb forum. Grow up.
    Why not tell everyone to grow up?
    03-05-12 09:22 PM

Cuz they are bored monkeys...pretty simple actually.
    03-05-12 09:28 PM
    Pretty sure most discussions center around criticizing a device, not the decision of buying it, so thats your problem if you want to take that personally.

But sure, if there are people directly attacking others about a device, then they have to grow up. But most discussions here are not like that.

And this is the kind of mental b****t i mentioned before.

Hahaha so much for asking why they argue so much.
    Last edited by nms64; 03-05-12 at 09:57 PM.
    03-05-12 09:45 PM
    I'm with you on this senseless smartphone rivalry. I love my friends with flip phones that don't even text. They could care less about iphone or blackberry or android. All they say is,"My phone needs to be a phone and that's it." Love it.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-05-12 10:06 PM
    I'm with you on this senseless smartphone rivalry. I love my friends with flip phones that don't even text. They could care less about iphone or blackberry or android. All they say is,"My phone needs to be a phone and that's it." Love it.
    Exactly! My device is as phone first. As long as it works for me in that way, that's all I care about. Everything else is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. The bickering back and forth that goes on in these forums and on the street is just childish. Who gives a flyin' flip!
    Last edited by up488; 03-05-12 at 10:18 PM.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-05-12 10:16 PM
    Mac vs PC
    Ford vs Chevy
    Domestic vs Import
    Giants vs Jets
    Kim vs Kourtney Kardashian

Whether it be their choice of sports team, vehicle, smartphone or everything else in between, people generally feel the need to justify their decisions, because they've invested in it either financially, emotionally or both. Any criticism to said item then gets taken like it's a personal attack, and they feel the need to defend it.

I'm secure enough in my decisions that I couldn't care less if someone bashes RIM. It does what I need it to do. I agree with most of the well known criticisms of the current platform though...and the minute BlackBerries no longer meet my needs and expectations, then I'll move onto something else.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-05-12 10:16 PM
    Mac vs PC
    Ford vs Chevy
    Domestic vs Import
    Giants vs Jets
    Kim vs Kourtney Kardashian

Whether it be their choice of sports team, vehicle, smartphone or everything else in between, people generally feel the need to justify their decisions, because they've invested in it either financially, emotionally or both. Any criticism to said item then gets taken like it's a personal attack, and they feel the need to defend it.

I'm secure enough in my decisions that I couldn't care less if someone bashes RIM. It does what I need it to do. I agree with most of the well known criticisms of the current platform though...and the minute BlackBerries no longer meet my needs and expectations, then I'll move onto something else.
    Very honest and quite well-said!

Exactly! My device is as phone first. As long as it works for me in that way, that's all I care about. Everything else is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. The bickering back and forth that goes on in these forums and on the street is just childish. Who gives a flyin' flip!
    LOL. I love that saying. And yes, our devices should be phones first. As long as I can call and text, I'll be a happy camper (though admittedly, the apps and stuff spoil me; but still - talk and text are primary). Everything else is icing on the cake.
    03-05-12 10:47 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD