You can [B]customize[B/] stuff in iOS?

Posted on my BlackBerry Vienna via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Lol, yes, it can also multitask!!! Shocking I know.
    03-07-16 06:26 PM
    Lol, yes, it can also multitask!!! Shocking I know.
    I always thought an iPhone was just a glorified ipod! Wow, you learn something new every day.
    donnation likes this.
    03-07-16 06:29 PM
    Hipster groupthink.

I.e. they are not able to think for themselves ... pity the fools.
    Jeez, I didn't know the hipster crowd had grown so big. 98% of the mobile market are hipsters. They have really grown in size!
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    03-07-16 06:46 PM
    Jeez, I didn't know the hipster crowd had grown so big. 98% of the mobile market are hipsters. They have really grown in size!
    It's s plan by the government.
    03-07-16 07:31 PM
    ...because nobody under 45 has used one?
    03-07-16 07:31 PM
    Old school can be good or bad.

Marvin Gaye songs are "good" old school. -- CLASSIC GREATNESS!

Keyboard phones are "bad" old school. You Crackberry people are old school using keyboard phones. - OUT OF DATE EQUIPMENT.
    03-07-16 07:50 PM
    Hipster groupthink.

This again. More sweeping generalizations of those who didn't choose BlackBerry. I know it's difficult for some to understand, but let's face it, the majority of the market chose something else. That doesn't make them hipsters or sheep or idiots. They're simply people who chose something other than BlackBerry. I often wonder why people take such things so personally that they insult complete strangers because of their choice of smartphones.
    TgeekB, Jerry A, JeepBB and 2 others like this.
    03-07-16 07:52 PM

Keyboard phones are "bad" old school. You Crackberry people are old school using keyboard phones. - OUT OF DATE EQUIPMENT.
    Trackpad enabled keyboards are old school? Go here a conversation with siri

Posted via CB10
    03-07-16 08:07 PM
    Actually if you pull down on the iOS homescreen the keyboard pops up and you can type in a letter to bring up the app, contact, song, email, reminder, etc. You can customize it for pretty much everything you want to show up.
    Without looking?
    03-07-16 08:26 PM
    Without looking?
    No, you have to go through the unbearable strain of looking at your phone screen.
    TgeekB and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    03-07-16 08:30 PM
    Apple indoctrination started with Macs in preschools... Lol.
    03-07-16 08:30 PM
    Apple indoctrination started with Macs in preschools... Lol.
    Just as old as the emails I Phones get http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technol...ssages-7513119

Posted via CB10
    03-07-16 08:40 PM
    When I used to travel with a BB, I used to pull out my work laptop and pop in a dvd to entertain myself since being stuck in an airport loses its luster after 10 minutes. Now I just download some movies on my Nexus 6p and not even use my laptop at all. I am not able to do that with a pkb BB - the smaller screen real estate gets in the way.

That is the thing with virtual keyboards - it allows smartphones to have large screens but still in a manageable/portable size. Applications (both consumer/enterprise) can take advantage of the large screen real estate. I often review company spreadsheets while in a stopover and I can easily do that just using my Nexus - especially when I am not doing edits or corrections to the spreadsheets. Back when I have a BB, I will have to take out my laptop regardless if I have to make corrections to the documents for not.
    That is why I love the Passport. The screen real estate is big enough yet the PKB is there for typing long emails or editing documents or spreadsheets.

My story kind of the reverse of yours. When I travel, I used to whip out my work laptop (or Surface Pro) whenever I have to make a long reply to emails. Or whenever I have to edit documents or spreadsheets. I used to carry a phone with VKB (most recently the Galaxy S5, Lumia 1020, iPhone 5s - in no particular order). And they are good for consuming media, reading emails, reading spreadsheets, and like you said as long as your not making edits or corrections to spreadsheets). The beauty of VKB is it can hide or it can show when you need it or not. But when you're typing it does take up a ton of space. Just try editing a spreadsheet and you can twist and turn the phone and the VKB would more likely be in the way.

PKB on a small screen also doesn't cut it for my usage. Thus Q10 never got my attention. The Passport, however has adequately large screen. And in fact, when editing documents I see more on the Passport than on any 5" VKB phone because the keyboard that pops up is just too big.

As for the pocketability of the Passport is exactly the same height as my Lumia 1020 and just a few mm wider.

Now, when I am in the airport or travelling, I don't need to whip out my laptop when I need to do some work. I could compose long emails with ease, connect remotely to my office using RDP (and still have ample space with no VKB blocking my view), edit spreadsheets and documents. And even watch movies from my pre downloaded movie collection in my external SD card.

The PKB is considered a thing of the past because when people think of PKB phones they think of the old phones with small screen size. I believe the Passport's form factor was on to something. With the proliferation of phablets with greater than 5'' screen, all the PKB needs is an inch off the screen size (achieving a 4:3 screen ratio). Imagine a Note 5, with one inch shorter screen to accommodate the PKB. The screen size would still be good enough for media consumption and the PKB would make composing emails/documents a better experience.
    sorinv likes this.
    03-08-16 07:32 AM
    Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter, etc are all expecting keyboard entry. There is still a lot of typing to be done. The difference is most people don't know/care to spell properly. They just let the VKB and predictive text do the work.
    Don't forget if you do a lot of typing (and judging by what I see around me, most users are typing like mad a lot of the time, somebody is generating the content they consume!), the VKB eats up a lot of your screen space.
    There's a reason desktop/laptops still use PKB, they are far, far superior.

Let me ask, would anyone type out their resume on a vkb smartphone? Or some other important document? Never. PKB are viewed only as old school because the content generated by those who use VKB are transient and generally not of any importance. It's the junk food of information.
    PKBs are viewed as old fashioned because they came along before VKBs. It isn't complicated. First = old.
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-08-16 09:53 AM
    I always thought an iPhone was just a glorified ipod! Wow, you learn something new every day.

Why do reviewers believe a physical keyboard is 'old school'?-images-4-.jpg

 Priv... cue the comeback!
    03-08-16 10:20 AM
    Hipster groupthink.

Just wanted to post something similar :

So they can show they're "hip"... :-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    03-08-16 02:57 PM

Ageism...!!! Discrimination!!! ;-P

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    03-08-16 03:01 PM
    Ageism...!!! Discrimination!!! ;-P
    Keyboarddiscriminationism!!!
    03-08-16 06:00 PM
    Keyboarddiscriminationism!!!
    Tactilesensationalism

Posted via CB10
    03-08-16 07:19 PM

That's so true! I remember back in the old days you used a stylus on your Palm Pilot. A stylus!!! Who would even think of that today?

Posted via CB10
    03-08-16 07:41 PM
    That's so true! I remember back in the old days you used a stylus on your Palm Pilot. A stylus!!! Who would even think of that today?

Posted via CB10
    Yep, I recall back in the good old days (almost six month's ago!) a client who couldn't wait to try the newly released, stylus equipped Galaxy Note (5?). She walked out of the store with a Classic. Go figure.

Of course, back in those prehistoric times (six months being twice the functional maturity of SOME of the glass trolls around here) we needed at least one of our hands to lasso Pterodactyls for riding to school. 50 miles each way. Uphill both ways! Ah, the good old days... Lol.

Some of us multitask. Like communicating with one hand while drinking coffee with the other. I, for one, already have a two handed device called a PC. If I'm going to occupy both hands for operating a device, I'll also need a desk to set my coffee mug on! Lol.

Of course how will this infantile generation react once it's identified that ULV electrical stimulus generated from capacitive HMI interaction might be inducing electo-neural behavioral disorders? Maybe enabling Google's global behavioral control?!?! What an ingenious conspiracy!! Lol.

Think I'll stick with my stone age pkb with tool belt. SOME of us have WORK to do. Lol.

Notice: this entire post was produced via 9900 in left hand. All spelling and grammar is MY intellectual property. Lol.
    filanto likes this.
    03-09-16 06:58 AM
    All new school phones don't have keyboards, just touch screen. That's why when Blackberry came out with the Z10 it was considered a new phone, not for it's new OS but a phone without a keyboard. That was the mindset of a lot of new comers to Blackberry.
    03-09-16 10:21 AM
    [info]Closed for review.[/info]
    03-09-16 02:13 PM
    [info] Thread reopened. [/info]

[warn] Let's keep the personal attacks and trolling out of the threads.

Thanks.
    [/warn]
    03-09-16 09:22 PM
    For those that think everyone has to look at what they're doing to use a VKB, take a look at this.

Why do reviewers believe a physical keyboard is 'old school'?-screenshot_2016-03-09-21-24-27.jpg
    03-09-16 09:24 PM
400 ... 13141516