I know working outdoors that a physical keyboard is much better in the cold verse my fingertips not being recognized by the screen.
    03-06-16 04:02 PM
    I know working outdoors that a physical keyboard is much better in the cold verse my fingertips not being recognized by the screen.
    gloves with the touch screen capability is readily available nowadays. Here in Canada every fall and winter you can get skiing gloves up to leather ones that have the touch screen capability. Also when it gets really cold here, trying to press a physical key on smartphone is also a pain when you are wearing gloves.
    03-06-16 04:10 PM
    gloves with the touch screen capability is readily available nowadays. Here in Canada every fall and winter you can get skiing gloves up to leather ones that have the touch screen capability. Also when it gets really cold here, trying to press a physical key on smartphone is also a pain when you are wearing gloves.
    Yeah but I have my gloves coated in glue and primer and not what I want touching the screen protector or case.
    03-06-16 04:12 PM
    Yeah but I have my gloves coated in glue and primer and not what I want touching the screen protector or case.
    a decent screen protectors does good job with that dilemma. Also glue, dust and grime also wrecks physical pkb as well. I remember one time when I was putting varnish on a table, and ended up having my bb turned dark brown :-)
    03-06-16 04:20 PM
    Maybe reviewers think PKBs are old fashioned because they are older than VKBs? Just a thought.
    Ronindan likes this.
    03-06-16 04:21 PM
    Millennials are idiots. Case closed.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    Oshasat likes this.
    03-06-16 06:16 PM
    a decent screen protectors does good job with that dilemma. Also glue, dust and grime also wrecks physical pkb as well. I remember one time when I was putting varnish on a table, and ended up having my bb turned dark brown :-)
    Yeah, it doesn't sound like a good situation either way.
    Ronindan likes this.
    03-06-16 06:25 PM
    This is what Physical keyboards on mobile devices are generally associated with. Smart phones are generally associated with full touch displays. These are what I believe to be mainstream opinions.
    Why do reviewers believe a physical keyboard is 'old school'?-moterola.jpeg

Q10 - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    03-06-16 06:27 PM
    PKBs are old school. Nothing wrong with being old school.
    The same reason I still drive a manual transmission vehicle despite the same decline in popularity and demand for manual transmission-powered vehicles. the criminals today only know automatic transmission so the cannot steal my vehicle short of a tow truck or flat-bed towing truck. I would tie a bomb into the pressure-sensitive driver's seat but you cannot protect your property today without getting into trouble with the law.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    03-06-16 06:28 PM
    This is what Physical keyboards on mobile devices are generally associated with. Smart phones are generally associated with full touch displays. These are what I believe to be mainstream opinions.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moterola.jpeg 
Views:	398 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	393424

Q10 - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    Good point. One associations are made they're difficult to break.
    03-06-16 06:29 PM
    I'm sure the same argument was going on when landline rotary phones were replaced with keypad phones. "Rotary phones are superior!! You can't make a mistake pushing your finger into the hole of the number you want! These kids today are crazy!!" Lolol.
    03-06-16 06:32 PM
    Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter, etc are all expecting keyboard entry. There is still a lot of typing to be done. The difference is most people don't know/care to spell properly. They just let the VKB and predictive text do the work.
    Don't forget if you do a lot of typing (and judging by what I see around me, most users are typing like mad a lot of the time, somebody is generating the content they consume!), the VKB eats up a lot of your screen space.
    There's a reason desktop/laptops still use PKB, they are far, far superior.

Let me ask, would anyone type out their resume on a vkb smartphone? Or some other important document? Never. PKB are viewed only as old school because the content generated by those who use VKB are transient and generally not of any importance. It's the junk food of information.
    Oshasat likes this.
    03-06-16 10:33 PM
    Last I checked, tweeting, "gramming," and "facebooking" involved typing.
    That's typing 100 characters. Try typing an article or paper, see how effective that is on a glass slab.
    But I agree. Keyboard on a cellphone is old school. Fewer and fewer people do actual real creative work on their PCS and laptops, let alone on cellphones.
    Most use their laptops, tablets and cellphones for consumption.
    03-07-16 02:27 AM
    I love my priv best of both worlds.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-07-16 02:51 AM

Let me ask, would anyone type out their resume on a vkb smartphone? Or some other important document? Never. PKB are viewed only as old school because the content generated by those who use VKB are transient and generally not of any importance. It's the junk food of information.
    No. I also wouldn't on a BB with pkb. I would do it on a computer.
    03-07-16 08:13 AM
    Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter, etc are all expecting keyboard entry. There is still a lot of typing to be done. The difference is most people don't know/care to spell properly. They just let the VKB and predictive text do the work.
    Don't forget if you do a lot of typing (and judging by what I see around me, most users are typing like mad a lot of the time, somebody is generating the content they consume!), the VKB eats up a lot of your screen space.
    There's a reason desktop/laptops still use PKB, they are far, far superior.

Oh ****!! Thanks for letting me know. I won't send any documents or emails from my Z30 today. I'll make sure to send them from my Passport so the information won't be transient and unimportant. Whew! That was a close one.
    Dirtymike14 likes this.
    03-07-16 09:03 AM
    If you're doing a bunch of unique acronyms and nomenclature, "flick spell" is a liability. IMO.

There's more to the "BlackBerry pkb experience" than JUST typing. Shortcuts and speed dials are pretty handy. I keep most frequently called # on speed dial "P". Super easily found by feel, sight unseen, as phone is pulled from holster. Speed dial "5" is also easily found, sight unseen, thanks to its "teet".

In the end, I really don't care what reviewers, or anyone else, thinks. It's MY thumbs, working MY device. I LIKE pkb. That's the ONLY opinion I care about.
    03-07-16 12:54 PM
    Definitely that's the reason I went back to a PKB. I need to enter symbols, code, some acronyms... I spent more time fighting the auto-prediction than entering the actual text. Of course, I could turn it off completely but with the PKB I got the best of both worlds... use auto prediction when I want, ignore it when I don't.

I certainly am not going to say that a PKB is better for everyone though, but I do think that for many people, they would prefer it if they did not have to give up screen real-estate (you could argue those people should all be buying the Priv, but that's a whole other discussion). The fact that the typo keyboard even existed shows that there was at least some demand for it, and even "archaic" technologies like the stylus seem to have made a comeback. Clearly the VKB is not meeting the needs of a lot of people.
    03-07-16 01:10 PM
    If you're doing a bunch of unique acronyms and nomenclature, "flick spell" is a liability. IMO.

There's more to the "BlackBerry pkb experience" than JUST typing. Shortcuts and speed dials are pretty handy. I keep most frequently called # on speed dial "P". Super easily found by feel, sight unseen, as phone is pulled from holster. Speed dial "5" is also easily found, sight unseen, thanks to its "teet".

In the end, I really don't care what reviewers, or anyone else, thinks. It's MY thumbs, working MY device. I LIKE pkb. That's the ONLY opinion I care about.
    All good points. I don't make a ton of calls so it doesn't affect me, but the shortcuts on a pkb can come in handy.
    03-07-16 01:55 PM
    I would like shortcuts. There's no way for a vkb to show up on the home screen but with a pkb you can utilize useful shortcuts.

 Priv... cue the comeback!
    03-07-16 02:00 PM
    I would like shortcuts. There's no way for a vkb to show up on the home screen but with a pkb you can utilize useful shortcuts.

 Priv... cue the comeback!
    Actually if you pull down on the iOS homescreen the keyboard pops up and you can type in a letter to bring up the app, contact, song, email, reminder, etc. You can customize it for pretty much everything you want to show up.
    03-07-16 04:44 PM
    Actually if you pull down on the iOS homescreen the keyboard pops up and you can type in a letter to bring up the app, contact, song, email, reminder, etc. You can customize it for pretty much everything you want to show up.
    You can [B]customize[B/] stuff in iOS?

Posted on my BlackBerry Vienna via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-07-16 05:28 PM
    It's old school but who cares if it works for you. I have a a single edge safety razor and use shaving soap. It works for me. Use a keyboard or not, it is what works for you that counts.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-16 05:37 PM
    It's old school but who cares if it works for you. I have a a single edge safety razor and use shaving soap. It works for me. Use a keyboard or not, it is what works for you that counts.

Posted via CB10
    I use the same. Very old school and not very popular but I enjoy it.
    03-07-16 05:51 PM
    Hipster groupthink.

I.e. they are not able to think for themselves ... pity the fools.
    03-07-16 05:51 PM
400 ... 1213141516