Why yes because I use a smartphone for what it was initially intended to do - make calls.
    Eh?
    A phone was intended to make calls.
    A smartphone was intended to do whatever the heck you want it to do (including, but not limited to making calls).
    07-14-15 12:31 PM
    So only 0.05% of the smartphone buying public write enough to "need" a keyboard?
    I was responding to one poster's use case. You generalized. All generalizations are wrong, including the one I'm making :-)

And those are the only ones who truly get stuff done?
    See above.

Nobody who writes on a touchscreen phone could potentially write a lot of stuff?
    See above.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-14-15 12:34 PM
    ALways loved the blackberry keyboard and the wonderful click sound and feel.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    MarsupilamiX and southlander like this.
    07-14-15 12:37 PM
    Well, even if for no other reason, when it comes to BlackBerry- keyboards are older than touchscreens devices.
    MarsupilamiX and donnation like this.
    07-14-15 12:53 PM
    My first BlackBerry was the 9700 bought in 2009. Before that I was an avid Sidekick user (I had the 3, LX, and LX09). I swore up and down that I would never stray from a physical keyboard phone. That sentiment didn't last long, however. In July '10 I got tired of the 9700's teeny tiny screen and got a Samsung Vibrant. I quickly became proficient at touch typing. A few months later I started missing BBM, so I got another 9700 to put on a prepaid plan just for BBM. I quickly realized I was having trouble re-learning to type on a physical keyboard. I made many mistakes, and I had to slowly type out the letters. When I had the 9700 before I had no problem just rolling my fingers around on the keyboard. It goes to show that people are proficient with what they're used to.
    My first smartphone was a Palm Treo keyboard and stylus (never understood why BlackBerry didn't have a touch screen untill recently), then went all touch with a STORM, back to keyboard with 9650 and back to all touch with Z10.

I've used both, and both have their pros and the cons. But for MY usage, and all touch with predictive text allows for faster communication and gives me the screen real-estate that makes browsing, reading a book, watching a movie... a more enjoyable experience. Maybe the Passport would be the best of both worlds... but I've never seen one up close and I doubt I'd invest in the BB10 platform anymore.
    07-14-15 01:56 PM
    Eh?
    A phone was intended to make calls.
    A smartphone was intended to do whatever the heck you want it to do (including, but not limited to making calls).
    Umm Yeah, the "phone" in smartphone is it's primary function. Otherwise it's just a glorified PDA or camera without the calling function
    07-14-15 02:20 PM
    My first smartphone was a Palm Treo keyboard and stylus (never understood why BlackBerry didn't have a touch screen untill recently), then went all touch with a STORM, back to keyboard with 9650 and back to all touch with Z10.

I've used both, and both have their pros and the cons. But for MY usage, and all touch with predictive text allows for faster communication and gives me the screen real-estate that makes browsing, reading a book, watching a movie... a more enjoyable experience. Maybe the Passport would be the best of both worlds... but I've never seen one up close and I doubt I'd invest in the BB10 platform anymore.
    Go, check out a Passport. Amazing... :-)

�   "WatsApp with the Chendroid?" - "Goog question, lol..."   �
    07-14-15 04:02 PM
    Go, check out a Passport. Amazing... :-)

�   "WatsApp with the Chendroid?" - "Goog question, lol..."   �
    If you can find one to check out!! :-)

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>Z30>
    07-14-15 05:06 PM
    ALways loved the blackberry keyboard and the wonderful click sound and feel.

Same here. Fun to use. For me anyway.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    07-14-15 10:59 PM
    I believe its because the major phone manufacturers like Samsung and iPhone have convinced the masses that there virtual keyboard is better than the physical keyboard. Also, the usage of device space that keyboard have to take up take away from the ability to consumer content

device space that keyboard have to take up take away from the ability to consumer content, have convinced the masses that there virtual keyboard is better than the physical keyboard

Used your words.....

To be honest I know of a number of people that miss the SLIDE concept - really more the full keyboard type slider of the older DROIDS. But bulkiness, small battery, and mechanical failures all lead to consumers not liking them. And one sales rep told me that one big problem they had was langue. Even here in the US there are a LOT of non English speaking people, and a physical keyboard designed for one language is going to be a dead end for a "niche" number of users.... and Manufactures and Carriers don't like having to exclude anyone. (or stock devices in separate languages).
    07-16-15 01:43 PM
    A slider would solve most of the problems. Most Blackberry phones come in multiple languages and all have the ability to put accents in keyboard strokes. A slider that that can be as good as the high end devices on the market ( battery life, sleekness, mechanical failure free) should be able to be succesful.
    The market for BB10 phones is mainly people who have BB10 phones. I pass buy a carrier store in a mall near me and I am yet to see anyone looking at the working Leap and Classic demo models. People are not interested in a unique OS. Sad but there it is. You would think that people of a certain age like myself might be interested in a PKB but no that dies not appear to be the case.

If the slider has real Android and Native BB10 for app masochists, then it has a chance to sell in decent numbers.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 03:00 PM
    Google would never let a mobile phone run with another OS.
    They do now . In addition to existing Windows Phone 8 partners HTC, Samsung and Huawei, Gionee, JSR, Karbonn, LG, Lenovo, Longcheer, XOLO, and ZTE signed on to create Windows Phone 8.1 devices in early 2014. Miia, Micromax, Prestigio, Yezz, BLU, K-Touch and InFocus were subsequently named as hardware partners later on in the year.

BlackBerry could still sell Native BB10 with no runtime is what I understand. A boutique product for sure.
    07-16-15 04:15 PM
    I've used touch keyboards for two years and I was not a fan. My speed may have stayed consistent but everything I sent had typos galore.
    Oshasat likes this.
    07-16-15 06:08 PM
    Phones are smaller so they don't want to sacrifice space for the sake of a bigger screen.

Removing the keyboard on phones was a huge mistake. It's like if you remove the keyboard off of a computer. Your productivity goes down drastically if you can't type properly.

Posted via CB10
    Oshasat likes this.
    07-17-15 12:50 AM
    Phones are smaller so they don't want to sacrifice space for the sake of a bigger screen.

Removing the keyboard on phones was a huge mistake. It's like if you remove the keyboard off of a computer. Your productivity goes down drastically if you can't type properly.

Posted via CB10
    A lot of folks, including JC pre-BBRY, would disagree.

I had a teacher who said the same about fountain pens. Claimed ball points weren't productive.
    07-17-15 01:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    The question posed by OP was why do reviewers think that PKB's are old school.

I had read some reviews liking the Classic PKB. There were other issues which concerned them more. Still, the reviewers obviously preferred all touch devices as do most consumers.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-15 01:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yup. Two thumbs typing is the same as two hands typing
    21stNow likes this.
    07-17-15 02:10 AM
    Maybe I should have asked 'why can't the smartphone market tolerate diversity and leave some room for physical keyboards?' Why must there be a monoculture that consists solely of VKBs?

RyanGermann likes this.
    07-17-15 09:19 AM
    Maybe I should have asked 'why can't the smartphone market tolerate diversity and leave some room for physical keyboards?' Why must there be a monoculture that consists solely of VKBs?

I think there would be room for PKB's just not smartphones lacking an ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-15 09:47 AM
    The point was i cant imagine them dual booting it.
    I think the closest thing that would also satisfy Google is a phone that ships with both images, Android and BB10 sans runtime, and you must choose at first power on which OS to run. The other is then deleted.
    07-17-15 10:43 AM

There probably is, but Blackberry hasn't released a device that appeals to the masses that has one. The Passport is too awkward for many people and the Classic is a low spec'd phone that they have been making for years.
    07-17-15 11:11 AM

The problem with PKB is it's not a health issue like lactose or nuts allergy products. I liken it more to can openers for lefties. It's not vital and won't result in hospitalization if not made available to the public unless there's a huge demand for it
    07-17-15 11:31 AM
    Cause it is. Keyboard wastes screen space.

Welcome the slider.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-15 01:29 PM
    There probably is, but Blackberry hasn't released a device that appeals to the masses that has one. The Passport is too awkward for many people and the Classic is a low spec'd phone that they have been making for years.
    I wouldn't want it anyway, but wow did they ever bumble that Passport release. At least here in the US. The vast majority of Americans buy on contract and they only got it on one carrier and that took forever because they had to waste their time making a cosmetically different one for AT&T that makes their only 2 high end BB10 devices (Passport and Z30) limited to one carrier here. Joke.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-15 01:34 PM

That's the way tech works. Usually things converge to similar designs for some period of time (see the PC market). A PKB is best used for a lot (and I mean A LOT) of text editing/writing. And even then, it probably gives you a 10% extra efficiency. Most people don't write that much text on their smartphone.

Yes, PKB has advantages, but also disatvantages:
    - mechanical issues may appear and such errors are much harder to correct than software ones
    - changing languages doesn't change the PKB letters
    - with PKB you either get a small form factor but with a small screen (Classic) or a big screen, but with a too big form factor (passport). The slider might be a good compromise, but again the sliding mechanism may provide more hardware issues.
    07-17-15 01:42 PM
400 ... 89101112 ...