I laugh when people compare the physical keyboard to the VCR and DVDs. The analogy is flawed. VCRs became obsolete because they were replaced by better technology: better retention with time, reliable error correction, better compression, and reliable readout, etc. Similarly, DVDs are becoming obsolete because they are being replaced by better technology.

Physical keyboards are being replaced by virtual keyboards not because virtual keyboards are better at typing, but because they enable the use of a larger screen. But, of course, you can trust the posters here to regurgitate the tired similes propagated by clueless "tech" journalists.

Normally, I try not to point out typing or spelling mistakes unless the poster is waxing eloquent about the virtual keyboard, or missing the point and not realizing it. So, could you find out what error you made above? Hint: It is an auto-correct error that your virtual keyboard was not smart enough to figure out ;-).

Q10/10.3.1.2582
    Whether a keyboard is better is subjective and rightfully judged by the user based on his/her abilities. Donnation already addressed that the typo that he/she made would have been very likely had a physical keyboard been used, as well. In fact, one can assume that Donnation typed that response on a physical computer keyboard because the app signature is missing that would indicate that it were posted on a phone, though I am aware that the signature can be deleted.

What I really find ironic is that you are pointing out errors in people's posts, but I see that at least two of your posts were edited after you posted them. Was it to remove typos posted from your Q10?
    07-12-15 10:40 AM
    Whether a keyboard is better is subjective and rightfully judged by the user based on his/her abilities. Donnation already addressed that the typo that he/she made would have been very likely had a physical keyboard been used, as well. In fact, one can assume that Donnation typed that response on a physical computer keyboard because the app signature is missing that would indicate that it were posted on a phone, though I am aware that the signature can be deleted.

What I really find ironic is that you are pointing out errors in people's posts, but I see that at least two of your posts were edited after you posted them. Was it to remove typos posted from your Q10?
    Lol I am a he and it was actually typed on a vkb with the Z30, but as I stated and you commented on it could have easily been done on a pkb. It's just comical that the statement that a "pkb will always be superior to a virtual one" is even thrown out anymore. As I said I don't have anything against them, but I do think they are old fashioned and that it is a way of typing that's been passed by by better technology.
    07-12-15 11:02 AM
    Part of the demise of the PKB and an appreciation for its functional superiority lies in the deplorable decline in proper grammar and spelling. In the professional world, the quality of one's communication is very important. I spent too much time having to correct emails, texts, and other documents using a touch keyboard.

So, I went back to a BlackBerry. I know I am painting with a broad brush, but for me and my needs, I simply can't be bothered with having to spend as much time correcting my work output as I spent creating it in the first place.

I tried to adapt to a VKB for over 3 years. It was a failed experiment for me. Iphone, Samsung, etc., all just did not work for me.

I fully admit that I am an anachronism nowadays. Still, doesn't mean that I have to, or want to, compromise my needs and wants. I hope that BlackBerry keeps carrying the torch for PKBs for as long as I still have to work.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 11:13 AM
    Passport PKB is revolutionary and magic. You have try it to believe it. The problem with the critics is that they always see the things half empty and pass their verdict.
    Passport PKB has changed the way one thinks about a old fashioned key board.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport [ 10.3.2.2339]
    07-12-15 11:18 AM
    I think it depends on how much you type on your phone, I remember my Curve 8300, I never got used to typing on the thing completely (hated the small keyboard) so I only used it sparingly to type on, and that habit has continued since I moved on to all touch iPhones. I work as a software developer and am usually in front of a computer 98% of the time. I use mechanical switch keyboards and find it cumbersome to type on even standard pc keyboards or laptops. So basically I avoid typing on phones as much as possible and when I have to I just live with the slowness of doing it. I read emails and texts and only reply if absolutely necessary, otherwise I reply when I get back to my computer.

I notice my wife (iPhone user too) dictates most of her text conversations
    07-12-15 11:25 AM
    Dictating texts can be a reason for messages that make no sense as well. I only use talk to text when I'm driving if I HAVE to answer a text. When I do that I let the person know I'm driving and if the message is off that's why. I make a few errors typing but on the BlackBerry it is much less frequent.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 11:35 AM
    Passport PKB is revolutionary and magic. You have try it to believe it. The problem with the critics is that they always see the things half empty and pass their verdict.
    Passport PKB has changed the way one thinks about a old fashioned key board.

Some of the features it has might be revolutionary and "magic" like the trackpad ability, but actual typing on it is far from being anything more than typing on a stretched out keyboard that takes forever to type on. Typing out a long email on the Passport is a pain and one that I don't enjoy doing.
    21stNow likes this.
    07-12-15 11:38 AM
    So, for fun, i had to grab my phone that has a physical keyboard to typee this response. I am doing better than i thoht tght i would, but it is a slow process and i cant type witghoutg lookingv at the keeyboard.

I'll do this paragraph with the virtual keyboard. It's one of my smaller phones, an old slider. My thoughts are that I'm still more accurate with my virtual keyboard and my hand doesn't hurt as much. I didn't edit either paragraph in this post.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    07-12-15 11:55 AM
    Delicious irony: The physical keyboard gets ridiculed and misrepresented by virtual keyboard lovers who cannot even write an error-free post that praises the accuracy of a virtual keyboard.

The sculpted profile of a physical keyboard provides better distinguishing capabilities than a homogeneous glass slab. Thus, the auto-correct function needs to kick in less often on a physical keyboard. People who don't understand this simple fact do not deserve to be argued with.

Q10/10.3.1.2582
    A keyboard is only as good as the user. It's all about proofing one's writing. PKB actually started the trend of lazy writing and poor grammar with abbreviations like BTW, CU, LMAO.
    07-12-15 01:00 PM
    A keyboard is only as good as the user. It's all about proofing one's writing. PKB actually started the trend of lazy writing and poor grammar with abbreviations like BTW, CU, LMAO.
    Those abbreviations came from the days of T-9 keyboards. Though they are physical keyboards, they are not comparable to either type of qwerty keyboard.

07-12-15 01:14 PM
    Those abbreviations came from the days of T-9 keyboards. Though they are physical keyboards, they are not comparable to either type of qwerty keyboard.

I know enough QWERTY users that abbreviate to prove my point
    07-12-15 01:25 PM

There are a lot of BB QWERTY users in developing nations. You really think most of those users crank out full and proper sentences?
    07-12-15 01:30 PM
    There are a lot of BB QWERTY users in developing nations. You really think most of those users crank out full and proper sentences?
    I'm not sure why you are responding the way that you are. You made a point that abbreviations came from physical keyboards on phones. I refuted that by saying that abbreviations became common before physical qwerty keyboards on phones were common. My post had nothing to do with users in developing nations.

To answer your question, do you think that people were cranking out full sentences on numeric-keypad only phones in 2001?

07-12-15 01:45 PM
    I agree.

I write for a living, and do most drafts (an insane amount of writing really) on vkb. As noted, I expect to be accurate and coherent.

No one method is the "best" for everybody, but it can be reasonably inferred people can do just fine on vkbs.

LOL at the discussion though. I'm doing so much via dictation too now. Texts, emails, etc via voice is ultra convenient.
    07-12-15 01:46 PM
    Yes, physical keyboards are so outdated and so rare that even Ryan Seacrest wanted to put one on an iphone. Stick one on an iphone and see how outdated and how one is in the minority. it would be the latest, most innovative and next best thing
    07-12-15 01:50 PM
    I love my Z30, but I miss the physical keyboard.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    07-12-15 01:54 PM
    Yes, physical keyboards are so outdated and so rare that even Ryan Seacrest wanted to put one on an iphone. Stick one on an iphone and see how outdated and how one is in the minority. it would be the latest, most innovative and next best thing
    I don't know that that instance really proves that pkbs are not falling in popularity/usage. I suspect the Typo was more of a niche, non-essential add-on that would not have significantly affected sales in any direction.

If it was that much of an opportunity, BBRY should be all over it.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    07-12-15 01:56 PM
    How can people with visual impairments dial numbers/type on a touch screen keyboard?
    Oh nobody cares about us anyway. Actually you'd be amazed how many times I've been told how I should be on an iPhone, because I can talk-to-text and because their accessibility is the best. In fact they're the worst. This was in the iPhone 5 days, so tiny phone, tiny screen. No font options. And talk-to-text is an abomination and should never be used unless it's literally the only option.

In fact, in this regard BBOS>BB10 if only for its global font size/style options. BB10 limited that a lot...no style options, changes don't show up everywhere, etc.

Lol I am a he and it was actually typed on a vkb with the Z30, but as I stated and you commented on it could have easily been done on a pkb. It's just comical that the statement that a "pkb will always be superior to a virtual one" is even thrown out anymore. As I said I don't have anything against them, but I do think they are old fashioned and that it is a way of typing that's been passed by by better technology.
    Newer tech yes, but not better. That's why all the comparisons (VCR>DVD>HD/BD, tube TV>flat screen) are crap. Those progressions carried no disadvantages, no trade offs; PKB>VKB does. The 2 big ones being the whole typing without looking thing. VKB users clearly look. Watch and you'll see them looking, and if their speed comes from flicking words they'd have to be looking. The second is the learning curve. "Oh if you use it enough you'll GET fast and accurate". Sure, maybe. But while you're at it you'll be funbling around and composing disastrous messages, all in a quest to become as proficient as you already are on your PKB.

To be fair I get a little defensive about this topic. I'm surrounded by people who've only used full touch devices telling me how much better they are. Gets a bit frustrating.

Posted via CB10
    Oshasat and clickitykeys like this.
    07-12-15 01:58 PM
    Some of the features it has might be revolutionary and "magic" like the trackpad ability, but actual typing on it is far from being anything more than typing on a stretched out keyboard that takes forever to type on. Typing out a long email on the Passport is a pain and one that I don't enjoy doing.
    Your view.

I do type rather long emails on the Passport, and rarely ever bother with sitting down in front of my laptop anymore... :-)

Being able to seamlessly transfer files to and from the machine, and even attach files has only added to this behavior increasing in frequency.

�   www. CrackDroidChentral .com --- (BB10 NOT dead!)   �
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    07-12-15 01:58 PM
    Oh nobody cares about us anyway. Actually you'd be amazed how many times I've been told how I should be on an iPhone, because I can talk-to-text and because their accessibility is the best. In fact they're the worst. This was in the iPhone 5 days, so tiny phone, tiny screen. No font options. And talk-to-text is an abomination and should never be used unless it's literally the only option.

In fact, in this regard BBOS>BB10 if only for its global font size/style options. BB10 limited that a lot...no style options, changes don't show up everywhere, etc.

Newer tech yes, but not better. That's why all the comparisons (VCR>DVD>HD/BD, tube TV>flat screen) are crap. Those progressions carried no disadvantages, no trade offs; PKB>VKB does. The 2 big ones being the whole typing without looking thing. VKB users clearly look. Watch and you'll see them looking, and if their speed comes from flicking words they'd have to be looking. The second is the learning curve. "Oh if you use it enough you'll GET fast and accurate". Sure, maybe. But while you're at it you'll be funbling around and composing disastrous messages, all in a quest to become as proficient as you already are on your PKB.

To be fair I get a little defensive about this topic. I'm surrounded by people who've only used full touch devices telling me how much better they are. Gets a bit frustrating.

Posted via CB10
    The learning curve argument falls flat. PKBs have a learning curve as well, and not just on phones. Anyone certified to type high WPM speeds on a full size keyboard knows that **** didn't just come naturally. Saying "all in a quest to become as proficient as you already are on your PKB." is ignoring the fact that to already be proficient on your PKB just means you already overcame the learning curve.
    21stNow likes this.
    07-12-15 02:15 PM
    You can type accurately on an Android, there are keyboards that learn how you type, just like BB10. That being said, most people with touchscreen phones that find the need to write something large have a laptop near by.

When I had my Z10 and 9900, I used to slack off on social essays, but because of the 9900 keyboard, I was able to do entire 1500 word essays on the bus and managed to pull 90s out of them. But you see, people get devices based on what they need. Some people need instagram photos and angry birds, others need to finish essays within a 30 minute bus ride, lol. The whole "keyboard is old school" mindset is caused by the fact that just like electronic organizers going out of date, keyboards also have that feel because everything is touch, even the fricken self serve cashier in your save ons.
    idssteve and KingOfQwerty like this.
    07-12-15 02:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    The trade-offs that you mentioned are subjective, though. I could never type on a physical keyboard without looking and I used phones with physical keyboards as my only device for six years. The learning curve on my end on a virtual keyboard was measured in minutes. The virtual keyboard itself still learns my habits today (after almost five years), so I only improve over time.

As you can see in my post #83, I "funbled" quite a bit with my physical keyboard.
    07-12-15 02:24 PM
    You are correct from your point of view. It depends upon your comfort level. I have experienced both Z30 and Passport. IMO typing on Passport for me is easier than VKB and margin of error is less. PKB on Passport is new generation key board and it doesn't belong to old school of thought as many critics have been claiming.

Madhuchandran likes this.
    07-12-15 02:40 PM

1. Check out the prior argument, i.e., physical keyboards give better tactical feedback, necessitating auto-correct fewer times. Of course, that's my hypothesis. You can probably get equally good tactile feedback on a homogeneous touch-screen by violating the laws of physics ;-).

2. My post was edited to add more material and to make it less offensive. But, in general, you are right. I edit quite frequently because I care about what I write and how I express it.

3. Take donnation's advice. Don't be so sensitive if someone criticizes your preferences, by showing an example as Exhibit A. He did type his post on a Z30, as he was honest enough to admit.

Q10/10.3.1.2582
    07-12-15 02:41 PM
    Fans of virtual keyboards say they are faster and more accurate. Faster, yes; more accurate - not from what I see online in blogs and news articles. There's been a dramatic increase in typos, word omissions and misuse or substitutions of common words. You can see that a lazy writer just flicked a word into a sentence when the sentence doesn't make any sense or a word is used in the wrong context.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    07-12-15 02:42 PM
400 ... 23456 ...