OP@ am nt ol skool bcz I grew up in tis nu world... I use VKB becz tis a kool ting to have an bcz tis a ph an none of my frnz really give a dead rat's azz worth care bout spelling an all the jazz... you know what I mean? tats why VKB are so popular now day ....ya jus havta slide yr fingers an write sumthin an nt worry bout words tey will write sumthin nearly 2 wat u meanin to say.. so ppl are cool wid that and understand anyway. so lyk am usin my ph mostly fr instagram selfies, facebook comments, small postz on twitter and so on am readin n watchin more on ma ph dan am writing... so ya I feel totally disconnect to wots eating you proff ..we da nu ppl of tis brave new world will continue to grow lyk dis .. am 20 yr ol an my name is Professor Moriarty.
    Posted from Blackberry White Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    Oshasat and KingOfQwerty like this.
    07-12-15 06:37 AM
    Delicious irony: The physical keyboard gets ridiculed and misrepresented by virtual keyboard lovers who cannot even write an error-free post that praises the accuracy of a virtual keyboard.

The sculpted profile of a physical keyboard provides better distinguishing capabilities than a homogeneous glass slab. Thus, the auto-correct function needs to kick in less often on a physical keyboard. People who don't understand this simple fact do not deserve to be argued with.

Q10/10.3.1.2582
    Last edited by clickitykeys; 07-12-15 at 06:56 AM.
    Oshasat likes this.
    07-12-15 06:44 AM
    Found this kind of thing.
    I have blackberry touchscreen device with perfect virtual keyboard. Honesty, I've tried my friend's BlackBerry q10 and it's great as my BlackBerry touchscreen. I can say that even when I compare q10 to my asus phonepad virtual keyboard. Asus phonepad is the worst typing experience of all phone I had.
    Then again, some people think PKB is old school because what they need are mostly playing games and watching on YouTube.

Samsung X100 - Samsung C210 - Nokia N70 - Nokia 608 - Sony Xperia J - Lumia 620 - Blackberry Z3
    07-12-15 06:46 AM
    Delicious irony: The physical keyboard gets ridiculed and misrepresented by virtual keyboard lovers who cannot even write an error-free post that praises the accuracy of a virtual keyboard.

The sculpted profile of a physical keyboard provides better distinguishing capabilities than a homogeneous glass slab. Thus, the auto-correct function needs to kick in less often on a physical keyboard. People who don't understand this simple fact do not deserve to be argued with.

Q10/10.3.1.2582
    You're correct. Here's the part I would use the incorrect word in a sentence but I can't think of one fitting. Lol. I guess we just move forward, eh?

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    07-12-15 07:12 AM
    I laugh when people compare the physical keyboard to the VCR and DVDs. The analogy is flawed. VCRs became obsolete because they were replaced by better technology: better retention with time, reliable error correction, better compression, and reliable readout, etc. Similarly, DVDs are becoming obsolete because they are being replaced by better technology.

Physical keyboards are being replaced by virtual keyboards not because virtual keyboards are better at typing, but because they enable the use of a larger screen. Of course, you can trust the posters here to regurgitate the tired similes propagated by clueless "tech" journalists.

Normally, I try not to point out typing or spelling mistakes unless the poster is waxing eloquent about the virtual keyboard, or missing the point and not realizing it. So, could you find out what error you made above? Hint: it is an auto-correct error that your virtual keyboard was not smart enough to figure out ;-).

Q10/10.3.1.2582
    Yeah progression, profession. Lol so I couldn't possibly hit the f key on a pkb instead of the g key? I am guaranteed no mis-hit keys on a pkb? No more errors ever? Awesome!! Completely false and ridiculous, but awesome.

I don't dislike pkbs but my preference for a vkb has nothing to do with screen space. I type faster and more accurately on a vkb and so do a lot of other people, as painful as that is for some of you to take.
    21stNow likes this.
    07-12-15 07:13 AM
    You don't have to get so defensive. We're talking keyboards here and not politics. And you have no idea if you are faster than me with your pkb, and I highly doubt you are. And you see a lot of mistakes because people typically don't care if they make a small spelling error on a message they are sending. People make just as many mistakes on a pkb and if they didn't there would be no sense in having autocorrect built in to them. BB would have just left it off because people wouldn't need it.

I guess I let my enthusiasm for PKBs get the better of me. Look, I'm not saying that I don't make some minor typos -- everyone does. But the messages that I get from VKB users are pretty awful sometimes. I once received a message from a BlackBerry user that was so laughably awful, that I KNEW she'd bought a new slab phone, and of course I was right. Two years later she's no better at the keyboard.

Many folks here are probably right: spelling and/or typos just don't matter to people anymore, and maybe that's where I really am 'old school' -- I tend to judge the writer by HOW they write, as well as the content of what they write (and that goes for people's spoken grammar as well, but that's another conversation). I'm not in business, but I do hire on occasion, and people's habit of ignoring those small spelling mistakes and typos often 'migrates' to their resumes and cover letters -- that means I can't/won't hire them. When I see it in my students' essays (far too often), it lowers their grades, so what we get used to doing in our social lives can do damage to our professional lives and affect our income.

Posted via CB10
    ALToronto likes this.
    07-12-15 07:23 AM
    Comparing Smartphone keyboard to a laptop or desktop keyboard is ludicrous. Smartphone typing is usually done with 2 thumbs while a PC keyboard uses 10 fingers. If you find a person that uses 10 fingers on a Smartphone PKB let me know.
    Yes Sir I agree with you. Nice point.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport [ 10.3.2.2339]
    So there are people agreeing with me, and others dissing my opinion.
    :-D

Doesn't matter, this Passport is just a completely different "phone" or should I say "mobile device" experience.

Let me phrase it innocently: "it's just what it is.... " :-D

Never tasted chocolate cake? Try, otherwise you've got no clue what you're talking about. Ey, not necessarily talking about hard drugs, but this thing gets ya... ;-)

�   www. CrackDroidChentral .com --- (BB10 NOT dead!)   �
    07-12-15 07:24 AM
    Maybe they need a catchy new jingle "Laptop in my pocket". I would use the music from" Pumped Up Kicks " by Foster the People.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, now absorb this, laugh about it, ridicule me...

I'm listening to 90's DJ Bobo and Culture Beat mix, hahaha... :-P

07-12-15 07:27 AM
    Many work environments have changed and people are not tied to their laptop or Blackberrys (for that matter) cranking out tons of emails anymore. I think this is why many prefer a touch screen to the KB. Since 90% of my company employees uses iPhones, it makes many blackberry users adapt to the changing mobile environment so we learn to type slower on the touchscreen in order to avoid typos. This was something you never had to think about with BB- you just typed and sent the email off!
    Pump that email out and shoot it off into the ether(nets)...!

:-D

07-12-15 07:28 AM

<snip>

I think the whole "old school" mentality about PKBs is simply by virtue of a wider, broader, younger spectrum of users that don't need that functionality anymore.
    I agree with this. However, while I got comfortable with the virtual keyboard, I am one of those persons who enjoy the physical keyboard. It is hard to explain the feeling typing and actually feeling the keys as I do so.
    southlander likes this.
    07-12-15 07:44 AM
    So are we PKB fans just a bunch of old farts? Is that how we're all lining up on this?

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 07:48 AM
    How can people with visual impairments dial numbers/type on a touch screen keyboard?
    07-12-15 08:05 AM
    It's how tech progress. Also I will not discount the marketing effort. "Selling a refrigerator to an Eskimo"

Picture tube TVs ruled the market a very long time and then came LCD, LED, Plasma etc. Now you can still prefer tube TV for any reason and even get one. But that does not justify why market should try one. For the market, IT IS DEAD. Thats what market economy is.

That said when I wanted to enter the smartphone bandwagon in 2010, between iPhone and BB, I selected 9700 after a lot of research and here I am continuing that with Passport. But we are minority. Worst, if BB fails, we have no place to hide.
    07-12-15 08:21 AM
    So are we PKB fans just a bunch of old farts? Is that how we're all lining up on this? Posted via CB10
    Not getting much deeper in debate of VKB v/s PKB I tend to agree with majority that PBK offers a better typing experience and tangible benefits. Barring few weeks on an HTC mini I have always used old school Ericsson and Nokia Communicator only for PKBs they offered.
    Writing with nails not flat glass is not a matter of preference but more of a phenomena that swept across the world just as Blackberry was once a rage for whatever reasons. Unfortunately this rage is here to stay. People using either a VKB or PKB (as long as it is a Blackberry) tend to make less mistakes not because Blackberry is superior but because these people are at a plank somewhere above the crowd who mercilessly drum their flat glass androids.They tend to take their communication seriously because they are settled lot and mature towards sensitivities of a given situation. VKB typing isn't bad per say, just that it is more glaring in hands of droid VBK users who render their communication even more appalling.
    PS: English is not my native or spoken language but I can discern a badly worded email and text msg when I see one and majority of them seem to be coming from droid phone vbk users.
    KemKev likes this.
    07-12-15 08:22 AM
    Actually, now absorb this, laugh about it, ridicule me...

I'm listening to 90's DJ Bobo and Culture Beat mix, hahaha... :-P

You are a good sport.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 08:26 AM
    It's how tech progress. Also I will not discount the marketing effort. "Selling a refrigerator to an Eskimo"

Picture tube TVs ruled the market a very long time and then came LCD, LED, Plasma etc. Now you can still prefer tube TV for any reason and even get one. But that does not justify why market should try one. For the market, IT IS DEAD. Thats what market economy is.

That said when I wanted to enter the smartphone bandwagon in 2010, between iPhone and BB, I selected 9700 after a lot of research and here I am continuing that with Passport. But we are minority. Worst, if BB fails, we have no place to hide.
    I have never been one to follow the herd, so to speak, so I am comfortable being a part of the minority. Long live the physical keyboard!
    AthenaSmith likes this.
    07-12-15 08:26 AM
    I might be tempted to go PKB just to be different but I have a real problem with BlackBerry's treatment of and reaction to the double typing issue. We do not know the percentage of returns but still it is too many. I could understand KB failure after perhaps 1.5 to 2 years of heavy use in an business environment where your phone is neglected but the this DT issue is not like that. It is a combination of keyboard design and software. BlackBerry acts as if it is no big deal. If that is the case, they should prove it.

If I was BlackBerry, I would be making my PKB a plug in module that could easily be changed out by the user, like a battery. This feature would help to bring back the PKB, especially for Enterprise users.

If I managed a fleet of phones in a Enterprise environment, I would be pushing the Leap.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 08:45 AM
    Reviewers are prejudiced. If a device does not conform to the latest and greatest iPhone or Samsung its dismissed.
    07-12-15 08:48 AM
    Reviewers are prejudiced. If a device does not conform to the latest and greatest iPhone or Samsung its dismissed.
    Just like consumers all over the world. The new Slider might get some traction, especially if it has a Android OS. The market for PKB's is bigger than BlackBerry's market. BlackBerry is hampered by their choice of the square screen.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 09:22 AM
    If you listened to Chen, the Leaps sole reason for being is that Enterprises were telling him he had to have a vkb phone in the lineup as buyers were demanding them.

iPhone has been out since 2007 meaning whole groups of folks have only known vkbs. I've seen some folks rip out texts, emails etc insanely fast on iPhones and vkbs. Swipe "typing" on Android can be insanely fast for those who use it to it's fullest.

Old habits are hard to break is an old axiom that rings true for pkbs I believe, this is part of the reason why pkbs are considered "old school". There were BlackBerrys for what 10 years before iPhones and a whole group of folks grew up on BlackBerry pkbs. Whats interesting of course is that other companies, Samsung, Motorola used to make pkbs but have since stopped for the most part putting those phones out. Has to be a business reason why.
    07-12-15 09:35 AM
    Comparing Smartphone keyboard to a laptop or desktop keyboard is ludicrous. Smartphone typing is usually done with 2 thumbs while a PC keyboard uses 10 fingers. If you find a person that uses 10 fingers on a Smartphone PKB let me know.
    2 thumbs yes, but I don't think that I can find any body with 10 fingers....kidding

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 10:16 AM
    Yeah progression, profession. Lol so I couldn't possibly hit the f key on a pkb instead of the g key? I am guaranteed no mis-hit keys on a pkb? No more errors ever? Awesome!! Completely false and ridiculous, but awesome.

I don't dislike pkbs but my preference for a vkb has nothing to do with screen space. I type faster and more accurately on a vkb and so do a lot of other people, as painful as that is for some of you to take.
    LOL! Don't be so defensive. Take your own advice :-)

Q10/10.3.1.2582
    07-12-15 10:22 AM
    LOL! Don't be so defensive. Take your own advice :-)

Q10/10.3.1.2582
    Touch�
    07-12-15 10:23 AM
    The older generation would be pecking at the screen with a pkb just the same so that's not really a good example. Do you think your mother would be flying around on her pkb if she had one?
    The older generation did not have computer class at school. They had typewriter class.
    07-12-15 10:33 AM
    The older generation did not have computer class at school. They had typewriter class.
    Oh, did they teach how to type with only their thumbs? Interesting.
    07-12-15 10:36 AM
400 12345 ...