I've been a Blackberry user since I first got my 8700, and I've cycled through several BlackBerry phones right to my current Q10. I've had only one stop in between, which was a miserable year spent with an HTC touchscreen, that I mostly wanted to throw across the room, because it was a frustrating and miserable typing experience. Using family and friends' Samsung and iPhones has been no more pleasant an experience than my old HTC. My question is this: aside from a superior user interface, great build quality, and a stunningly accurate keyboard, reviewers continually dismiss BlackBerry as "old school" or "old fashioned" BECAUSE of its keyboard. Why is there so little demand for an accurate typing experience among consumers? Granted, I'm a university professor who lives by the words I type, but is there really so small a value placed on accuracy and speed of typing?

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 11:10 AM
    Most folks don't do lengthy text entry on their phones. They consume content. For which the bigger screen and all touch is more of a priority.

Yes they message, etc. But the virtual keyboards are OK for that.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-11-15 11:21 AM
    It's because its what feature phones (which are seen as old and outdated) would usually have. Most people now use full touch screens, so they think it's odd to see a company still build phones with a trait that most ancient phones had.
    07-11-15 12:25 PM
    I believe many have been convinced it's a either /or proposition, I also believe it's a false choice.

If I were given a touch input device that included a physical keyboard, why would I care if it didn't detract from the display screen size.
    I loved the design of the BlackBerry Q series, but that was the case (I needed more display, but in a mainstream form factor) .

But give me a wider screen with a 4.3- 4.5 display with a physical keyboard and I'm good. Give me the specs to support all functionality I desire and I'm perfect.
    To me it's pocketable, attractive, and powerful with the functionality needed.
    Why would I voluntarily limit myself.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 12:27 PM
    Because virtual keyboards have improved so much since they were first introduced. They are more adaptable, don't get hardware problems, and leave more screen space for when you want it. They are considered old school the same way in that VCR tapes became old school when DVDs were launched and how DVDs are considered old school because of digital files. It's just the natural profession of things.

I disagree with the statement above as I'd much rather type out a long email on a virtual keyboard. It's faster, I'm more accurate, and I don't get finger fatigue from pushing the buttons. For me, typing out a long email on the Passport is hell. I have fairly large hands but stretching for the keyboard gets old and on a long message my hands get tired.
    07-11-15 12:30 PM
    Physical keyboards on phones went from virtually 100% marketshare in 2007 to around 0.05% marketshare in 2015. If that doesn't clearly communicate how most people feel about a hardware keyboard on a smartphone, nothing will.

Sure, you love your PKB, but you are an outlier - a rare exception - not part of the mainstream. And that's okay, but you should accept the truth of that fact: in the mainstream world, PKBs on smartphones are obsolete. Most people use their phones for all kinds of things beyond banging out long emails or documents all day long, and most people who bang out documents all day long prefer to do that on a desktop/laptop with a much bigger screen and a full-size keyboard.
    07-11-15 12:43 PM
    The general public has accepted that cel phones don't need to mimic a full-on home computer with expansion slots, customizable RAM, full physical keyboard, etc. The purpose of a handheld device these days is one of social connection, entertainment, communication, info sharing, etc. and not necessarily one of replacing an office computer and trying to cram as much of that home computer experience with you on your cel phone. I think the physical keyboard (PKB) is an extension of that. The amount of typing performed by the majority of device users these days is generally not extensive. Apps help bring a lot of the typical computer applications with you on your mobile.

I think the whole "old school" mentality about PKBs is simply by virtue of a wider, broader, younger spectrum of users that don't need that functionality anymore.
    07-11-15 12:49 PM
    Use to be folks wrote lyrics, books and articles on BlackBerrys. Maybe some still do that on virtual keyboards. Who knows.

For me there is a satisfaction of the feel of the physical keys and appreciation of the design. Same as folks liking metal phones because of the feel and design qualities even though plastic is more practical. Or intricately built fancy mechanical watches even though if one has a smartphone they don't need a watch, and in this case digital/plastic is also more practical. I admire the feel and design of the BB physical keyboard in that same manner.

I am probably faster on say SwiftKey -- but I find it more satisfying to type on my Passport.

My ideal phone would be a Passport running a BlackBerry Android OS (with hub, etc.). For now I settle by using an LG G2 and a Passport.
    07-11-15 01:28 PM
    Because they are now such a tiny segment of the market.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 03:05 PM
    For me, the productivity gains of a virtual keyboard far outweigh the positives of a physical one. I expect to be accurate, and the ability to use with one hand with functional ambidexterity is priceless.
    21stNow and shaleem like this.
    07-11-15 03:32 PM
    Also OP -- yes some reviews are dismissive of the usefulness of a real keyboard. But a lot of the ones I have read actually consider it the best part of a BlackBerry. I think if BB can move to a more mainstream OS you'll see more folks moving back or at least using BB as an alternate device. I say "more" because realistically even 5% of new phone buyers choosing it would be a large increase.

I think the BBOS and BB10's limited platform support from apps vendors has a lot to do with the "death" of physical keyboards -- the best PKB's being inextricably linked to BlackBerry. Folks want to "not use a BlackBerry" more than they want the keyboard.

I have been thinking the last couple of years I would have liked to see BB license their keyboard hardware to others. The Typo is proof there is some demand. And Typo's court losses prove BlackBerry is the only company that can make the iconic keyboards.
    neoberry99, lcchick and shaleem like this.
    07-11-15 04:11 PM
    Because it is a waste of screen space, instead of a landscape slider.
    07-11-15 04:17 PM
    I look on BlackBerry saying that PKB's is what Enterprise prefers as just a form of corporate spin. It bought them some time until their lack of sales this past quarter showed that their strategy "wears no clothes".

PKB's are not dead but a PKB without a viable app store is on life support. In the final analysis all those Legacy owners are not going to convert just to get a PKB.

Posted via CB10
    donemt likes this.
    07-11-15 04:35 PM
    There are times where I miss my Z30 with a better flick typing experience than the Passport.

Since BB10 is not supported by my company, I relish the fact that I can use OWA (Outlook Web Access) quite comfortable on my phone.

The Square screen is a great trade-off and I somehow love the keyboard.

Thinking back, I only used flick-typing when I was using it one-handed.

There are few reasons why PKBs are great. The virtual keyboard BlackBerry has created was amazing.

Whenever I use my Laptop as a tablet or an iPhone, I could scream! Why on earth do I need to press an extra button to get to the numbers???? There would still be plenty of space.....

The customisation and predictive text have been improved to such an extent that you are faster and more accurate on a virtual keyboard than on a physical...

I am patiently waiting for the slider, since it will be combining the best of both worlds, I hope

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 04:39 PM
    When using a VKB, you will inevitably have to look at the keyboard most of the time, instead of focusing on the text that's "almost magically" appearing behind the cursor when using a PKB...

:-)

Yes, and when typing (real, proper) passwords, I much more prefer a PKB, it's just safer...

The VKB's feedback (apart from vibration on corrections) is very limited, the only feedback you have is visual. No tactile feedback, and I feel mental fatigue much earlier than physical fatigue of my fingers or thumbs. That's just my take. A keyboard is yet not outdated on a laptop, why should it be outdated on a phone?

The Passport has pretty much replaced my beautiful ASUS laptop and my clunky old Compaq machine (with a heavenly, super old school, "outdated", but accurate laptop keyboard, much better typing than on a Mac or the Mac-style ASUS, imho).
    I've got a Z10 and also use my wife's Leap, so I've got plenty of exposure to VKB. Sure, I can imagine using one of those as my daily, but still, that Laptop-in-ya-pocket feel only the Passport can provide...

(edited^)

�   www. CrackDroidChentral .com --- (BB10 NOT dead!)   �
    Last edited by Prem WatsApp; 07-11-15 at 05:10 PM.
    07-11-15 04:58 PM
    When using a VKB, you will inevitably have to look at the keyboard most of the time, instead of focusing on the text that's "almost magically" appearing behind the cursor when using a PKB...

Yes, and when typing (real, proper) passwords, I much more prefer a PKB, it's just safer...

Yes I find the long press for caps to be invaluable for keying in long complex passwords. Agree.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    idssteve likes this.
    07-11-15 05:06 PM
    I've never had a pkb phone. I will agree that typing on an android us frustrating and just sucks. Bb10 vkb are outstanding though. I can type very fast and accurately on my z30. Something that was impossible on my androids. I'm almost scared to try a classic for fear I'd miss the ability to flick words onto the screen. If I could get a q10 cheap enough I might be convinced to give it a shot.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 05:09 PM
    You can long press for caps on the vkb as well

Posted via CB10
    OTCHRussell and sentimentGX4 like this.
    07-11-15 05:09 PM
    You can long press for caps on the vkb as well

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I do that on the Leap and my Zeddy. These VKBs are indeed awesome and very close. Classic and Qs are great, and the function keys (convenience on Classic, alt, shift, sym) allow you to do other things and operate a little differently, but that hybrid experience * on the Passport just kills it...

Highly recommended ...! :-)

( * I believe you can only really appreciate all three of them having used all three of them extensively, and I have and I do. )

07-11-15 05:16 PM
    As someone mentioned 1 in every 100 phones are PKB so really what Blackberry should be doing is just make 1 all touch phones (like the Z30), one all touch phone the size of the passport, and one PKB phone like the Classic but with better specs) and one high end all touch Flagship phone like the slider.
    tanzarian likes this.
    07-11-15 05:27 PM

The VKB's feedback (apart from vibration on corrections) is very limited, the only feedback you have is visual. No tactile feedback, and I feel mental fatigue much earlier than physical fatigue of my fingers or thumbs. That's just my take. A keyboard is yet not outdated on a laptop, why should it be outdated on a phone?

The Passport has pretty much replaced my beautiful ASUS laptop and my clunky old Compaq machine (with a heavenly, super old school, "outdated", but accurate laptop keyboard, much better typing than on a Mac or the Mac-style ASUS, imho).
    I've got a Z10 and also use my wife's Leap, so I've got plenty of exposure to VKB. Sure, I can imagine using one of those as my daily, but still, that Laptop-in-ya-pocket feel only the Passport can provide...

(edited^)

•   www. CrackDroidChentral .com --- (BB10 NOT dead!)   •
    Comparing Smartphone keyboard to a laptop or desktop keyboard is ludicrous. Smartphone typing is usually done with 2 thumbs while a PC keyboard uses 10 fingers. If you find a person that uses 10 fingers on a Smartphone PKB let me know.
    07-11-15 05:42 PM
    Folks want to "not use a BlackBerry" more than they want the keyboard.
    Southlander, I think you hit on something when you said that people don't dislike PKBs per se, but that they don't (for the most part) want to use a BlackBerry.

To those who like to compare the BlackBerry or PKB to VHS, and touchscreens to DVD, I respond that just because a product is "old" does not mean it is worse -- the two aren't synonymous. Yes, the former (VHS) has lower resolution than DVD, but that's not comparable to the superiority (speed + accuracy) of a PKB. I can type faster and with far more accuracy on my Q10 than I can on a tablet or brick phone (even with Swiftkey). In fact, I can ignore the pop-up corrections and just plow (plough) through, as I'm doing now -- and that's the case whether I'm churning out dozens of 140-character texts a day, or sending a lengthy email to a colleague. BTW, I'm not typing essays or books on my phone, but I do get my share of emails.

The question still stands: there have got to be more than .1% of cellphone users who'd opt for a PKB. There must be a larger market for them than that measly figure. Or do we have to wait for a hybrid BlackBerry-Android's emergence to find out?

Posted via CB10
    donemt likes this.
    07-11-15 05:53 PM
    Maybe they need a catchy new jingle "Laptop in my pocket". I would use the music from" Pumped Up Kicks " by Foster the People.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 05:53 PM

(edited^)

Yes Sir I agree with you. Nice point.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport [ 10.3.2.2339]
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    07-11-15 06:15 PM
    I still think it's funny that everyone is so quick to want to be on a touch screen phone, but we all have real keyboards on our laptops and desktops. I could think of nothing worse than typing on a flat piece of glass instead of my laptop's keyboard, and while I do love my Z30, the Classic and Passport keyboard are my favorites.

Typing on a real keyboard went out of style a while ago, but it's what I love to do. I don't consume much media on my BlackBerry. I mean, I'll watch a news or YouTube clip for a few minutes, but I've never watched an episode of anything. I have a laptop and iPad for that.

For me (and probably lots of you), I'll take the experience of typing on a physical keyboard over a touchscreen any day.
    Oshasat and spike12 like this.
    07-11-15 06:21 PM
400 123 ...