I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for starting this thread, but one thing I really can't understand is why people use other chat apps like Facebook Messenger, Kik, Line, etc., when we have a perfectly good IM app called BBM!

BBM is one of the only things keeping BlackBerry alive and relevant, yet BB users are supporting competing IMs? How does that make sense?

To me, BBM seems like the obvious choice to use if you're a BlackBerry user. If your friends don't have BBM, then text them. If you can't text, then tell them to get BBM.

I dunno... I just see it as if the BlackBerry faithful can't support BBM (or supports other IMs simultaneously) then what chance does BBM have to grow and BlackBerry to remain a viable company?

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    Nshave8881 likes this.
    03-15-14 07:35 AM
    All I use BBM have since inception

Posted via CB10
    03-15-14 07:39 AM
    I push BBM on everyone i know. If nothing else, i force them to get it if they want to contact me. lol
    03-15-14 07:40 AM
    Bbm is great on blackberry, however it's subpar on iOS/android.

Sent from iOS using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-15-14 07:42 AM
    Whatsapp/hangouts are my ims apps of choice.

Sent from iOS using Tapatalk
    03-15-14 07:44 AM
    Because bbm just doesn't work as it should on other platforms. Whatsapp beats bbm in the cross platform race as its easily 10 times more reliable. My non BlackBerry owning friends and family like me enough to try bbm, but not enough to struggle with it when there are other alternatives that work better "out of the box."

Like most people here I would love to use bbm with all my contacts. But when I send a message to my mother she doesn't get it until she actually opens the app. Until BlackBerry fixes that they are going to lose im market share.

Posted with a Q10
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    03-15-14 07:46 AM
    Because sometimes the people you want to talk too don't have access to BBM (got 2 Windows Phone users on WhatsApp) or just because people like choice
    Remember not everyone, everywhere in the world has unlimited texting plans (here they don't even exist), so why spend extra money if I could just use a combination of IM's and be done

I use both WhatsApp and BBM, no grudge against any of them. Sometimes I prefers BBM and sometimes I prefer WhatsApp, just depends on what I'm doing at that moment. I try to push BBM to other contacts with every update tho, but people like choice. Mostly why they use different IM's

Posted via CB10
    Rolf Hed likes this.
    03-15-14 07:56 AM
    I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for starting this thread, but one thing I really can't understand is why people use other chat apps like Facebook Messenger, Kik, Line, etc., when we have a perfectly good IM app called BBM!

BBM is one of the only things keeping BlackBerry alive and relevant, yet BB users are supporting competing IMs? How does that make sense?

To me, BBM seems like the obvious choice to use if you're a BlackBerry user. If your friends don't have BBM, then text them. If you can't text, then tell them to get BBM.

I dunno... I just see it as if the BlackBerry faithful can't support BBM (or supports other IMs simultaneously) then what chance does BBM have to grow and BlackBerry to remain a viable company?

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    IMHO, one reason BBRY is struggling is because some of us use/used BBRY products not because they are/were the best, but out of loyalty alone.

That does not help the company, especially if it is clawing its way from behind.

BBRY especially owes that to its customers.
    03-15-14 08:01 AM
    Double post.
    03-15-14 08:03 AM
    If it ain't broke, why fix it. Changing our routines, behaviour, or preferences is a difficult thing to do any kind of product or service you are marketing.

Posted via CB10 - Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925/Telus
    03-15-14 08:05 AM
    Because BBM wasn't available cross platform until recently, and trying to make everyone switch "just because" is not my job. If others find BBM to fit their needs than that's great, but people have found other messengers over the years and see no need to switch.

Also, just because you are a BB user it doesn't mean you have to support everything BB does or BBM in general. I am not going to go out of my way to make others use BB products if they have no interest or desire. That is BBs job to bring them over, not mine.
    03-15-14 08:08 AM
    If it ain't broke, why fix it. Changing our routines, behaviour, or preferences is a difficult thing to do any kind of product or service you are marketing.

Posted via CB10 - Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925/Telus
    Another fair point. This also explains why BB10 as a whole has struggled to gain traction. A lot of people are set and satisfied with their mobile choices, and it's tough when you're late to the party.
    03-15-14 08:08 AM
    If it were to bring something revolutionary and cross platform then people might switch. Otherwise, why not stay with what works as others have said.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-15-14 08:30 AM
    Honestly I barely use bbm. I know very little people using it and even I didn't know much about it until I got a z10 and started coming on here more frequently...my point?

I can't start doing marketing job while im.trying to e-flirt with a chick. Snapchat and kik are my best friend and at this point unless someone asks me for my pin (very rare) I'm not going out of my way for it.

Bbm's problem as with bb10's problem is that while it's a wonderful solution, competitors arrived early and marked their territories and these competitors are doing just about enough to keep their territories. For example I believe bb10 blows ios out of the water and I have good reason to believe yet I used ios for 3 years and I got by just fine. My point? The other platforms at this stage are equal in abilities or should I say functionality (key functionality) . When you get a phone you expect it to send sms, pics, browse, good mailing, good battery, ...everything else is just a bonus and not essential. same with IM. With bbm, I can IM, with kik I can IM, before I deleted my whatsapp, I could IM. With snapchat I can do it with pictures...if kik didn't exist tomorrow I'd find another solution viber, bbm, Voxer Wtvr! But so long it exists, I'll probably use it

I.mean even Facebook couldn't get people to switch from snapchat so they tried to buy it.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-14 08:47 AM
    why do people support other platforms? why do people say Whatsapp is 10 times better than BBM on other platforms? Why do people not buy more BB phones? Why are people posting on CB?...........Because they can
    03-15-14 08:47 AM
    Don't get me wrong... I think these are all valid reasons. But you can see where I'm coming from in terms of the importance of supporting BBM and BlackBerry's future.

According to Chen, the 4 pillars of BlackBerry are: Enterprise, QNX, BBM and Handsets. If you take BBM out of the picture, eventually handsets will disappear too. Then BlackBerry will end up with only Enterprise customers.

I realize that BlackBerry is catering to a very niche userbase right now, but I really think that BBM is crucial for their success. And BlackBerry users who support other IMs isn't helping.

I totally agree that BBM needs a desktop client, an app for WP/Nokia, feature parity and reliability amongst all platforms. But in the meantime, I feel as though using other IMs makes their struggle that much harder.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-14 09:09 AM
    I never ever used BBM, because no one use it in my circle of friends.in additional it's has large data consumption.actually in general BB10 has large usage consumption. they use data for stand by, in system,in security.minimum 2MB per day without using phone. another thing I can't bear is ****ty battery.maybe battery capacity is enough ,but it's system again which draining battery. few days standby doesn't make blackberry sells better.it should improve in use consumption.
    blackberry get eliminated not only because Iphone and android appears ,but also because they don't have creativity anymore.blackberry is dying,it wont change until this cocky hen have a technical breakthrough(like first Iphone has ingnew tech screen,new looks. like first android free modification probability).
    03-15-14 09:31 AM
    I think it depends on what type of person you are. I'm the type that chooses something, and is loyal to that whether it helps me or not. Lol. Not sure if that's healthy or not...

Posted via CB10
    03-15-14 09:43 AM
    Because BBM wasn't available cross platform until recently, and trying to make everyone switch "just because" is not my job. If others find BBM to fit their needs than that's great, but people have found other messengers over the years and see no need to switch.

Also, just because you are a BB user it doesn't mean you have to support everything BB does or BBM in general. I am not going to go out of my way to make others use BB products if they have no interest or desire. That is BBs job to bring them over, not mine.
    Completely second that. Especially when BB is not doing that job, forget BBM, they aren't even advertising its own phones!
    03-15-14 10:37 AM
    BBM is very unreliable on IOS, groups are terrible with no notifications options, no group chat picture sharing, picture transfer is low quality and complicated (NO one knows about req HQ) the list goes on

Posted via CB10
    03-15-14 10:39 AM
    Don't get me wrong... I think these are all valid reasons. But you can see where I'm coming from in terms of the importance of supporting BBM and BlackBerry's future.

According to Chen, the 4 pillars of BlackBerry are: Enterprise, QNX, BBM and Handsets. If you take BBM out of the picture, eventually handsets will disappear too. Then BlackBerry will end up with only Enterprise customers.

I realize that BlackBerry is catering to a very niche userbase right now, but I really think that BBM is crucial for their success. And BlackBerry users who support other IMs isn't helping.

I totally agree that BBM needs a desktop client, an app for WP/Nokia, feature parity and reliability amongst all platforms. But in the meantime, I feel as though using other IMs makes their struggle that much harder.

Posted via CB10
    You have to understand one thing now...BBM and Handsets are separate entities now. People would no longer buy a BB10 handset for BBM...because BBM is now available across all platforms. BB10 has a set of different features, which can be bundled under productivity, multitasking and efficiency, but BBM is no longer a selling point, hence they both are independent of each other. Although it will take some time for BBM to separate itself from the handsets, at least till all the cross platform versions catch up with the BBM on BB10. Once that is done, both would co-exist, but independently.
    03-15-14 10:43 AM
    Because bbm just doesn't work as it should on other platforms. Whatsapp beats bbm in the cross platform race as its easily 10 times more reliable. My non BlackBerry owning friends and family like me enough to try bbm, but not enough to struggle with it when there are other alternatives that work better "out of the box."

Like most people here I would love to use bbm with all my contacts. But when I send a message to my mother she doesn't get it until she actually opens the app. Until BlackBerry fixes that they are going to lose im market share.

Posted with a Q10
    Ur mother uses an iphone. U need to go into the settings and enable push, she will then start receiving bbms without the need to open the app, and quite faster than whatsapp. Please try it and feedback.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-14 10:46 AM
    Bbm just arrived xplatform. That drove me to have whatsapp for xplatform and bbm for BlackBerry users.

Now am converting the ones I need and will remove whatsapp, unless they add an option to block incoming messages from numbers not in your address book.

I love whatsapp and bbm, I just can't handle the amount of strange whatsapp I receive.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-14 10:49 AM
    And BlackBerry users who support other IMs isn't helping.
    Maybe some BlackBerry users use the company's services on an as-needed basis? I don't go out and buy/evangelize their enterprise products just because their phones (in the non-enterprise setting) work great for me.
    anon8656116 and eldricho like this.
    03-15-14 10:50 AM
    BBM is not on all platforms yet. Other than txt, how am I going to communicate with my WP friends. Put the app on all platforms with all features(video and voice chat) and then BBM can start to grow more and more. I, along with a lot of WP users, are still waiting for that app! The WP user base is growing fast.
    kbz1960, eldricho and neo158 like this.
    03-15-14 10:50 AM
29 12