BlackBerry is definitely not as open as Android. Security is their selling point so no surprise.

Frankly, I see a place for all three platforms, depending on what the individual wants! It's too bad it's such a grudge match.
    That's why I think Chen is going back to enterprise. I really don't think they have a prayer in the consumer market, at least in the present. Pick your battles. Find a nitch. Smart move.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    BBSpring likes this.
    03-16-14 08:19 PM
    [QUOTE=TgeekB;10126959]

True. And choice is good.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Absolutely. I'm happy to defend my choice and crap all over yours till the cows come home...

BUT, at the end of the day I'm happy that we have the luxury of fighting about it. Truth be told, It's good that we have several options!

As usual, good to talk to you and debate!
    03-16-14 08:22 PM
    [QUOTE=Gnomesane;10126976]

Absolutely. I'm happy to defend my choice and crap all over yours till the cows come home...

BUT, at the end of the day I'm happy that we have the luxury of fighting about it. Truth be told, It's good that we have several options!

As usual, good to talk to you and debate!
    Same here. Enjoy your Blackberry!

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-16-14 08:27 PM
    I'm sure this is both regionally dependent and dependent on what media sources you follow.

Posted via CB10. Join C001A8DC6 for bento-inspired lunch ideas
    I think he's correct for north America emstar. Its died down as of late and I think it will continue to do so until major news hits. Of course here, we are hypersensitive to any news, but as a mainstream story I think interest isnow low among the general public.

But let's be realistic for a minute. What happened to apple in tuye last year or so? Well they kept chugging along. They released their products, they met expectations, their stock fluctuated a bit based on mixed forecasts, but earnings were robust. Android? They released their products. Expectations were met, they continue to absorb the market. Win phone? Got traction - but in largely low end and obscure (to us) markets. And while bb would have killed for their results, it is still a small blip compared to the big players.

Bb? Launched hail Mary product with savior CEO presiding after co ceos forced out recently. They claimed staggered triumph, hid results, and thus we spent the whole year watching the brutal truth come out. It became apparent all major revenue streams were failing, The company started a public campaign to find a buyer. Much of the base lose their jobs, assets sold, Prem watsa and others did their best to attract attention, deadlines, the whole thing collapses asA sham financial ploy. Savior CEO leaves in disgrace, new CEO brought in. Uncertainty about any future direction reigns. All this from the company which ruled smartphone a few years ago......

HMMMMM.... WONDER why that got attention? No drama there.... WONDER.........
    JeepBB and Drew808 like this.
    03-16-14 08:29 PM
    BlackBerry is definitely not as open as Android. Security is their selling point so no surprise.

Frankly, I see a place for all three platforms, depending on what the individual wants! It's too bad it's such a grudge match.
    There's actually 4 platforms...Don't forget about WP...they make excellent quality device also !

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-16-14 08:56 PM
    Do you consider having Android apps fixing the app gap?

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    That's a tough question. I've never loaded a leak or Sachesi. I don't know what the actual Android App experience is like other than what I've heard.

My opinion from what I've heard points me in two directions. Before 10.2.1 you could get Android Apps but it took some steps to do so.

Now with 10.2.1 you can just download The Amazon Store or Snap and download most Android Apps directly and most seem to work.

Again this is from what I've heard. So ultimately I wouldn't say it's "fixed" the app gap but it is helping to move in the right direction.

Now some would say the reliance of another OS to fix the gap is like cheating, but I would call it smart.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-14 09:00 PM
    Hey OP. Most trolltastic thread title and first post in some time on CB. Kudos to ALL that have posted and kept it civil. What's not to discuss? The latest devices are awesome. The latest OS is robust, smooth, and bristling with features. The so called messaging jewel has gone cross platform. The latest CEO appears to have skills in transforming organizations. The stock game is fun to watch and Billions of dollars are to be made or lost. National and corporate security are implicated. Etc. Etc. Etc. Pick a subject; there is no shortage of BBRY discussions to be had.

Diversity and choice is good. Device agnosticism or bust as my tag line says. Pick a device or devices and rock on!
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    03-16-14 09:12 PM
    Nobody ever got fired for criticizing IBM BlackBerry...
    You don't remember that balsaIlie being forced out for presenting multiplatform BBM because lazardis and thorstein didn't like the idea?

The open letter to the co-ceos by a former executive
    03-16-14 10:01 PM
    I have three:

Asus Transformer TF101
    Sony Xperia SP
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 8

The Asus I modded with KitKat (KatKiss) and is the smoothest for operation; The Sony is laggy; the Samsung lags if I don't reboot it periodically.

NOT a fan of Android to be honest. I've heard the Nexus (as pure plain Vanilla Android) is smooth but haven't used it.

All things being equal: if I couldn't use BlackBerry I would go back to Apple. I never had lags with iOS like I've had with Android.

AND, I've had ZERO lags with BlackBerry 10!
    Should try touch wiz kit kat

Smooth and has more enhancements for camera

Oh ya more resource efficient then BB10
    Specially since it runs on little as 512 megs ram
    03-16-14 10:06 PM
    I know in Canada it's a big talking point because it's a Canadian company that made it big, and is failing. I don't think the average person really knew what Nortel did, but they always talked about it's downfail, because it was a big Canadian company that was at one point huge in it's industry.

Blackberry is the same way. A Canadian company that changed the mobile world, and owned it for a long time. Now it doesn't. While a lot of Canadians **** on Blackberry, and talk about how they hate their phones, or think they're doing things backwards or what ever, at the same time they don't want to see another Canadian giant fail. It's weird.
    richardat likes this.
    03-16-14 11:05 PM
    For the same reason you created this thread.

Posted via CB from my LE
    03-16-14 11:20 PM
    Open thread, for both points of view...

It's curious to me that BlackBerry continues to be such a talking point in media. The scuttlebutt seems to be that BlackBerry is DONE, a failure, etc... YET, it still seems to be a major newsmaker....

GIven that Apple, Samsung and Google own the majority of the consumer market, WHY is BlackBerry even in the news anymore?
    It's the same reason why Crackberry has any following. It's not even about userbase or, otherwise, Crackberry would be more barren than WPCentral. There is a certain fascination about the company.
    03-16-14 11:28 PM
    There are a lot of people who despite having moved on to other platforms deeply miss their blackberry device. There is something very emotional and visceral about a Blackberry. Amongst teens it may inspire hate but amongst many adults who have moved on to other platforms I think they are just waiting for BlackBerry to come up with that one device that will make them come home.
    03-16-14 11:44 PM
    There are a lot of people who despite having moved on to other platforms deeply miss their blackberry device. There is something very emotional and visceral about a Blackberry. Amongst teens it may inspire hate but amongst many adults who have moved on to other platforms I think they are just waiting for BlackBerry to come up with that one device that will make them come home.
    Yes! A 9900-like phone but with a proper modern OS, and no Java. I hope that's what the Q20 will be, and that will be the one to bring me back.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    03-16-14 11:47 PM
    It's impossible to not discuss Blackberry (form a news P.O.V). The company has been an absolute train wreck for the past 3-4 years. Co CEOs leaving, massive layoffs, vp's drunk/biting through seat belts, not to mention all of mediocre products released.

Sent From ipizzle using Tapatalk
    JeepBB, richardat and kbz1960 like this.
    03-16-14 11:50 PM
    despite all the negative being bandied about people still remember the quality that was BB...(the BB10 is very good) and secretly wish BB would do something real ground breaking to have them come running back...would love that myself. Still I love BB and continue to make its phones my daily workhorse (Z10)..and will continue to do so because it is that good..
    03-17-14 12:01 AM
    Open thread, for both points of view...

It's curious to me that BlackBerry continues to be such a talking point in media. The scuttlebutt seems to be that BlackBerry is DONE, a failure, etc... YET, it still seems to be a major newsmaker....

GIven that Apple, Samsung and Google own the majority of the consumer market, WHY is BlackBerry even in the news anymore?
    I wish I knew the answer to that. I think its more or less the same reason Apple and Andriod owners come to Crackberry to spew their hate. I own apple and android products and have NEVER posted once in android central or imore let alone even visited there so what are they doing here. Makes no sense at all. The way I see it is if apple and android own the market share you would think that they would be sworn enemies. They should be at each others throats. Confuses me. Maybe its a psychological condition or they suffer from jealous possessiveness that they just cant let go and move on and hate and negativity is their only outlet. We see it in the media and especially here every day.
    keepthetorch likes this.
    03-17-14 01:41 AM
    It's impossible to not discuss Blackberry (form a news P.O.V). The company has been an absolute train wreck for the past 3-4 years. Co CEOs leaving, massive layoffs, vp's drunk/biting through seat belts, not to mention all of mediocre products released.

Sent From ipizzle using Tapatalk
    Not sure they were VP's and they bit through their restraints didn't they? Lol. QNX Cable Tie Co.
    richardat likes this.
    03-17-14 01:41 AM
    Twenty four hour news cycle. Simplest explanation.
    03-17-14 02:21 AM
    Because everyone thinks that BlackBerry Is dead, but it didn't in fact. Lols

Posted via Writer's BlackBerry, Q10
    03-17-14 02:24 AM
    There is the collection that the government is doing by itself and then there is the data that they can go to Google and Facebook and force them to hand over. We should remember that the web browser you are most likely using, the most popular browser right now is Chrome, most popular mobile operating system is now Android, many of the tools that we are using whether web browsers or operating systems or apps are made by advertising companies. It is not a coincidence that Chrome is probably a less privacy preserving browser. It is tweaked to allow data collection by third parties. The Android operating system is designed to facilitate disclosure of data to third parties. Even if you are okay with the data the companies are collecting you should also note that the tools that we use to browse the web and the tools that ultimately permit our data to be shared or prevent it from being shared are made by advertising companies. This makes the NSA�s job a lot easier. If the web browsers we were using were locked down by default the NSA would have a much tougher time. But advertising companies are not going to give us tools that are privacy preserving by default

- Your boy Snowy
    Unless I misunderstood what others have said, Google actually doesn't sell anyone's personal information to anyone. From what I've gathered, merchants buy ad space from Google, who tailors those ads to users based on the data they collect, and report anonymous metrics back to the merchants. Also thought I'd point out data with a BB10 device isn't more secure than the other platforms once it leaves the device, it's being transmitted over the same networks, even BBM. Apps written for BB10 connect to the same servers as Android and Apple - Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, Whatsapp, etc. are all going to the same place regardless of platform. If you use email, unless it's on a BES it's going to be Gmail, a Microsoft account, Yahoo - a BlackBerry doesn't have any more privacy than anyone else since your email is on THEIR servers. Pretty sure there's a couple people here who have their contacts and calendars synced with Google or Microsoft, or use Google, Bing, and/or Yahoo Search and Maps on a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 03:21 AM
    Not sure they were VP's and they bit through their restraints didn't they? Lol. QNX Cable Tie Co.
    Lol, that's one of my favorite stories.

Sent from iOS using Tapatalk
    03-17-14 06:09 AM
    Because it's better to be talked about than forgotten. Be it good press or bad. BB is still being talked about.
    app_Developer and richardat like this.
    03-17-14 07:28 AM
    Thanks for the open thread and nice photo.

Blackberry phones are the best communications devices in the world. Better phone call quality, better reception, more secure messaging/encryption, better keyboards. They're for people who get things done and for people who don't sit on the couch aimlessly scrolling through useless apps, wasting their time on nothing important at all.
    I've actually noticed that the call quality is much better on my iPhone 5 than my Q10, which is frustrating to me, since otherwise I agree that it is a communications powerhouse. Also, speaking as one who uses an iPhone to get things done, not all of us sit on the couch mindlessly scrolling through useless apps. Broad generalizations attempting to demonize people who happen to hold a different opinion on which mobile device works better for them is not terribly constructive, and just leads to more charges of "fanboyism" against all CrackBerry users in general.
    03-17-14 07:53 AM
    Afraid of change? Really?

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    I have run across the same thing, either afraid, or too comfortable to change.
    03-17-14 08:11 AM
135 ... 23456