To the age group of 15-25, yeah the "app factor" is a big deal. But in the market that I'm in most of the iPhone's I've sold are to users coming off of feature phones and going to a first time smart phone. That's where those references come from as far as ease of use goes.
    The people who asked me that "app question" ranged in age from early 20s to late 50s.
    04-20-12 12:04 PM
    The people who asked me that "app question" ranged in age from early 20s to late 50s.
    However different markets do vary in customer bases. For example, I'm in a suburban area and close to a rural area. Customers don't really come in looking for a phone with the most apps, widgets, features, etc. etc. Those who do know exactly what they want.
    04-20-12 01:44 PM
    I'm sure there are some of these salespeople who are only loosely aware of the ever popular doom & gloom news surrounding BB right now. They probably just sell "what all their friends are using." Or base their tact on what is the most hip of the bunch.

If you ever make regular visits to a cell shop, ever ask a rep a technical question about anything? They sale off of opinion and trend, they don't know squat about much of anything. I've never talked to a rep yet who even understands what BIS is, and they've only heard of things like Exchange or ActiveSync but don't know what either are. I bet the ratio of salespeople who actually have any technical knowledge beyond the scope of popular apps to those who do not is a dozen to one, and that's optimistic.

i bounce around to different Verizons around here to pay my bill, and I love talking tech. I even ask questions to which I already know the answer just to see what kind of stuff the person will say. I don't know how much commission there really is, but these dorks are simply basing all their "information" on trend and further opinion only on what they use and know themselves.

Sent from BitPusher's BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    04-20-12 02:07 PM
    BlackBerry is failing because reps refuse to sell the device.
    Hilariously funny. Keep it coming.
    04-20-12 02:17 PM
    Kudos to those of you who DO listen to the customer's needs and sell based on those needs and wants, not what's convenient or "easy" to sell.

Let's look at this from a different angle. Most carriers in the United States carry the Bold and the Curve. I'll see sales reps absolutely ignore the Curve, and show the Bold only, but the higher price point can be a concern. They do this regardless of the customer's need. If I have a customer who, after listening to his/her desires, needs, etc...if the Curve will work for them just fine, why not sell them the Curve? Sure, present both devices, and be knowledgeable of the differences, but don't neglect the Curve just because it isn't "as nice" or "it has a faster processor."
    04-20-12 04:24 PM
    The assumption is an that reps know what their selling. They are just like everyone else, hit with the apple/android marketing guerrilla. If RIM would market....... Old argument.
    04-20-12 08:27 PM
    I worked for The Source selling Bell phones for a little over a year and hearing all these stories about Reps not selling proper phones makes me sick to my stomach. My situation was very different as up here as we had/have only about 4 models of phones to sell people but i still believe in the principal of choice.

To be a good "sales" rep you first need to be a good "customer" rep. Yes i know a lot of people can aruge this and how they can not care about their customer at all and yet sell them something. but to sell them something that they will enjoy and need you need to listen to them and think of their needs.

Ive only ever used a BB, never even touched an Android or iPhone before so i cant say anything on their abilities but i know if someone is looking for something to keep in touch, something that is simple to use, something that is very layered(BBM connected for example) then a BlackBerry is definitely a great choice.

I'm currently at The Source - you had it easy. Currently we have 15 models on the Bell kiosk (plus about 8 we don't have room for in the back) and about 12 on the Virgin kiosk (with about 6 in the back).

I sell to what the customer will be happiest with based on their needs, whether iPhone, Android or BB.
    04-21-12 04:57 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD