Okay so here is my problem, I'm 15 and i really want either a blackberry, iPhone, or G1, depending on what carrier my family switches to in a few months. My mom said yes to me spending $30 a month on a phone but my dad is saying he cant find reasons for it. I have an ipod touch so i immediately started saying good reasons to have an iphone -
    1, turn by turn directions if you get lost
    2. Finding numbers
    3. Finding reastraunts
    4. Browsing places where no computer/wifi is available
    5. ipod and phone in ONE
    6. social networking

any other ideas why i would need a blackberry, etc?
    06-17-09 07:07 PM
    Looks like a wish list and your parents are thinking essentials. Let's face it, social networking at all times is about as useful as a bull with teats so don't use that argument.

Finding restaurants? You don't even have a license yet so another bad argument.

Numbers, for what? You know who your friends are and anyone can dial 911.

Not flaming here, just thinking like your antiquated parents you see.

You want to argue it to your father, the directions one is good from my experience. Also, hit home with the old "I can contact you anytime I need in any way" thing. That has worked for me in the past.
    06-17-09 09:28 PM
    quite frankly, needing a blackberry and wanting one are two different things. you dont need a blackberry for the items you listed. any normal handset can perform those tasks. unless you are with a company on BES that requires you to stay in touch via email etc, no one needs a blackberry.

i wanted one because its easier to perform the tasks you listed on it as opposed to other handsets. at the age of 15, it really comes down to what your parents decide upon. not trying to crush your dreams here, but i feel im making a valid point. not to mention, most basic data plans can cover your needs for less money that a BB data plan would cost.
    06-17-09 09:30 PM
    Your almost 16 tell him you'll get a job :P.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-09 09:31 PM
    Your almost 16 tell him you'll get a job :P.

Good point! It's essential to your career aspirations.
    06-17-09 09:32 PM
    Blackberries are known for 'PUSH' e-mail. You get it instantly. Plus the qwerty keyboards are known to be able to allow you to type fast for e-mails, twitting, IM ,etc.

Personally, i like touchscreens better.
    06-17-09 09:34 PM
    No iphone how is a 16 year old to get a job???????

06-17-09 09:38 PM
    Blackberries are known for 'PUSH' e-mail. You get it instantly. Plus the qwerty keyboards are known to be able to allow you to type fast for e-mails, twitting, IM ,etc.

Personally, i like touchscreens better.
    He can always get Push Email with a regular phone. Just can't reply back. I did it with my old phone. I setup my Gmail account to foward messages to my Verizon mobile address. It came as a text message. It was kind of lame, but it was better than nothing.
    06-17-09 10:22 PM
    Say that the email and web functions will help you in school (work on documents, email teachers, etc.)

Whenever I wanted a data plan on a phone, I always used the old "educational" argument. Really won my dad over if I could convince him that it would help me in school.
    06-17-09 11:22 PM
    I completely agree, the educational argument always works! And the BlackBerry is a very useful tool to help with school.
    06-17-09 11:39 PM
    Definatley go with the "educational argument"; worked for me when I wanted a top of the range laptop! "I need it for college". Can't comment on the phone front because although I've always had a phone since I was 7 I have used wap and they wernt blackberries nor where they iphones! I got my blackberry last year when I turned 18 and was old enough to take the contract out myself and pay for it!

06-18-09 02:51 AM
    Okay so here is my problem, I'm 15 and i really want either a blackberry, iPhone, or G1, depending on what carrier my family switches to in a few months. My mom said yes to me spending $30 a month on a phone but my dad is saying he cant find reasons for it. I have an ipod touch so i immediately started saying good reasons to have an iphone -
    1, turn by turn directions if you get lost
    2. Finding numbers
    3. Finding reastraunts
    4. Browsing places where no computer/wifi is available
    5. ipod and phone in ONE
    6. social networking

any other ideas why i would need a blackberry, etc?

Nope,I can't find one reason you need one...
    06-18-09 04:35 AM
    No iphone how is a 16 year old to get a job???????

Applying.

I got my first job at 16. Any fast food place will hire you at that age, and some retail chains as well.

06-18-09 05:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD