Every BlackBerry I've owned seems to freeze up at one point in time, and requires battery pulls. Why is this so? And what is it in the OS exactly, that make this a characteristic of these phones? Can some tech who works for the company explain this in great detail to everyone here please?

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 01:08 PM
    It goes back to the old BBOS Java-based platform. It couldn't be multi-threaded, and there got to be dozens of background processes running over the years. These processes were active to "listen" for different events (a simple one is message notification, but many others were added over the years). If a process "hung", it froze the entire device.

This just doesn't happen at all on the BB10s. I've handled several Z10s and Q10s at this point, and I think there was maybe one instance where the device was so hosed that I removed the battery to reset. First off, the devices are a whole order of magnitude more reliable, and second, holding down the top lock button reliably resets the device.

btw, one of my favorite tips: if your BB is a keyboard model, you never need to pull the battery. Hold down the left "Alt" key and hit the right shift and backspace keys. It's like a Ctrl-Alt-Del that resets the whole device.
    jpvj and xiaohuaxing like this.
    09-28-13 01:42 PM
    Yeah...same reason Minecraft is laggy and crashes...JAVA!
    11-25-13 09:00 AM
    This morning for some reason my alarm failed to work!.....not happy!....usually it works fine .....now I can't rely on it anymore.....

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 09:27 AM
    OP, I'm guessing you are on BBOS

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk
    11-25-13 10:06 AM
    I haven't had to do even one battery pull in the nearly one month I've used my Z10. I had to do battery pulls every 1-2 days with the Bold 9930 I own.
    11-25-13 11:19 AM
    Z10 needs a battery pull sometimes, but this is probably OS-related especially when you're running a beta leak. It happened to me once. I'm running 10.2.1.1055. I restarted the phone but once it turned off, it never restarted. Nothing happened by pressing the power button on top. I pulled the battery and put it back after a minute, the red light LED illuminates and voila, it's brought to life again.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    11-25-13 11:30 AM
    I've never done a battery pull on my z10

Posted via CB10
    dusdal likes this.
    11-25-13 11:33 AM
    Never did a battery pull on my q5....lol,
    My old BB8900 works great for 6 years with me and still counting,only few times did the battery pull but I don't even remember when

via CB10 on Q5
    11-25-13 11:40 AM
    I've never done a battery pull on my z10

Posted via CB10

I haven't either. I had loads of reboots at first but never had to do a battery pull.
    11-25-13 11:40 AM
    OP, maybe visit this article I've posted.

http://m.crackberry.com/history-qnx-...-blackberry-10

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 11:44 AM
    This morning for some reason my alarm failed to work!.....not happy!....usually it works fine .....now I can't rely on it anymore.....

Posted via CB10
    Didn't work, or slept through it? I've definitely slept through my BlackBerry's alarm before. I know this because I've had people wake me to shut the thing off lol
    11-25-13 11:46 AM
    BB10 that is 100% unheard of now..

BBOS7 and lower I use to do it every week. But it was just like how windows desktops get slow after a while with all the built up memory then restarting it makes your computer faster.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 11:53 AM
    Didn't work, or slept through it? I've definitely slept through my BlackBerry's alarm before. I know this because I've had people wake me to shut the thing off lol
    Nope it didn't go off.....the screen came up but no sound...odd thing I did a battery pull and once loaded the alarm came on sound and all.....only 39 minutes late

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 12:00 PM
    I still cannot believe that the same work has been done with just a pentium 4 processor and 768MB of ram....

I am talking about my old job a year back.... XD

I had the same issue when I swapped my battery this morning... The is started, but froze on the finish line... Just thought I inserted a dead battery, however after checking and putting back in, it works like a charm on Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1055

If you really need to reset your phone, take a screen shot and hold the two volume buttons for around 10 seconds.... it reboots and is there for you again

Battery pulls are not necessary anymore.

I had it freeze a few times, however after leaving it alone for a minute or two it became responsive again...p

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 12:02 PM
    If you really need to reset your phone, take a screen shot and hold the two volume buttons for around 10 seconds.... it reboots and is there for you again
    Just so you know, this feature doesn't work on STL100-1 devices.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055
    11-25-13 12:46 PM
    Why do BlackBerry phones keep freezing and need battery pulls to begin with???-screen_20131116_143359.jpg

Tried every possible trick, its still the same. BBM ERROR! Reloaded OS after wipe | set time | BIS activated | tried different BBIDs | played with Time settings | Battery pulls | Both hybrid & OG OS tried |

Any one got the solution ?
    11-25-13 01:23 PM
    I haven't either. I had loads of reboots at first but never had to do a battery pull.
    Since I got the device in February I had about 20 reboots. The problem appears to have disappeared sometime during 10.1

Unfortunately, the mute button is protruding so much that when the device is in my pocket and I bend over to tie my shoes or something then take it out the button was pressed on the doubled material pocket opening/border of my pants for the three seconds and is turning off...

I guess they were afraid of a repeat of the playbook power buttons that were so far in you couldn't reach them and did this instead. (they ended up modifying the design on the PB one)
    11-25-13 02:15 PM
    My Q10 doesn't need battery pulls. It is true that I have it pretty clean - no games, no leaks.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 02:17 PM