I have a question that has been bugging me since the new phones were announced. Why does Rim use the same names with the model numbers. For example we have the Bold 9900/9930 wouldn't it have been easier to call the phone the Bold Touch.

I notice that we have two phones called the torch. Why not just call the slider the torch 2 and non slider Storm 3 just Blackberry touch.

Being an Android/ios user it just seems that Rim over complicates the name's of the devices. I mean the you don't see any model numbers behind the Playbook.
    08-04-11 10:11 PM
    Playbook was the First,

RIM is attempting to create Brands within a Brand, they want people to ask for the BOLD on what ever carrier they are on, but they have an existing model number scheme that the RIM faithful like, as they give distinctions, we know that if the phone ends in XX30 it is a CDMA device ends in 00 it is a GSM device.

There is a Logic behind Branding, if RIM is going about it the right way, that remains to be seen
    08-04-11 10:14 PM
    Playbook was the First,

RIM is attempting to create Brands within a Brand, they want people to ask for the BOLD on what ever carrier they are on, but they have an existing model number scheme that the RIM faithful like, as they give distinctions, we know that if the phone ends in XX30 it is a CDMA device ends in 00 it is a GSM device.

There is a Logic behind Branding, if RIM is going about it the right way, that remains to be seen
    But why the Numbers. Just telling us what carrier the phone is going to be on tells us if its GSM or CDMA.

I mean the Iphone is the iphone on every character the same with the nexus S.

if marketing is so important shouldn't it go something like this

BlackBerry Bold 9900/9300- BlackBerry Bold Touch (or just say bold)

BlackBerry Torch 9850/9860- BlackBerry Touch or Storm

BlackBerry Torch 9810- Blackberry Torch 2
    08-04-11 10:29 PM
    But why the Numbers. Just telling us what carrier the phone is going to be on tells us if its GSM or CDMA.

I mean the Iphone is the iphone on every character the same with the nexus S.

if marketing is so important shouldn't it go something like this

BlackBerry Bold 9900/9300- BlackBerry Bold Touch (or just say bold)

BlackBerry Torch 9850/9860- BlackBerry Touch or Storm

BlackBerry Torch 9810- Blackberry Torch 2

They've got history with numbers to go with, that is the issue.

they've been using the numbers so they continue with the numbers, and in the US yes the Carrier dictates CDMA or GSM, but in Canada 2 of the top 3 are BOTH CDMA and GSM carriers.
    08-04-11 10:45 PM
    Here's a question I've wondered for a while:

What is the significance of the number?

I understand that they continue upward to signify advances, and I understand that generally speaking the higher the number, the more advanced the phone; but why the specific four-digit scheme? Any particular reason it started at 7XXX or whatever?
    08-04-11 11:15 PM
    Here's a question I've wondered for a while:

What is the significance of the number?

I understand that they continue upward to signify advances, and I understand that generally speaking the higher the number, the more advanced the phone; but why the specific four-digit scheme? Any particular reason it started at 7XXX or whatever?
    xx00, xx10 and xx20 is GSM for GSM devices.

xx30 and xx50 is CDMA devices.

Edit:

x1xx is for SureType (81xx)
    x2xx is for SureType flips (8220)
    Last edited by Duvi; 08-04-11 at 11:29 PM. Reason: added...
    08-04-11 11:24 PM
    xx00, xx10 and xx20 is GSM for GSM devices.

xx30 and xx50 is CDMA devices.
    I know there's the differentiation 'code' as well, but I mean "why the specific numbers?" in a very literal meaning. I'm starting to think it just started out how it did and they went from there.

Thank you though.
    08-04-11 11:27 PM
    I know there's the differentiation 'code' as well, but I mean "why the specific numbers?" in a very literal meaning. I'm starting to think it just started out how it did and they went from there.

Thank you though.
    So there isn't confusion. They're not random. So if you see that certain numbers, you'll already know what type of devices and/or whether it'll be gsm or cdma.
    08-04-11 11:32 PM
    I think what he mean't is why did it start at the 7xxx instead of say 1xxx
    08-04-11 11:46 PM
    I totally missed that. Didn't even read the whole thing until now.

I would say it's because there are 7 dots in the BB symbol, but they started at 6 with "BlackBerry" devices.
    08-04-11 11:52 PM
    Sort of. I think the only thing that would answer my question is if I knew what every single number meant for every single model haha.
    08-04-11 11:53 PM
    I totally missed that. Didn't even read the whole thing until now.

I would say it's because there are 7 dots in the BB symbol, but they started at 6 with "BlackBerry" devices.
    Interesting hypothesis, never thought of that.
    08-04-11 11:54 PM
    It might have been 5xxx series. But I know it wasn't 7.
    08-05-11 12:00 AM
    There was already a thread (or two or three) on here explaining what the numbers are (but not why the thousands):
    forums.crackberry.com/forum-f3/how-does-rim-number-devices-263436/

As far as the first BB, it was a pager with a keyboard numbered 850. There's a list at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BlackBerry_products

Sorry, the forum won't let me post links yet (not enough posts). Copy and paste?
    08-05-11 04:35 AM
    The iPhone uses numbers. 1, 2, 3, 4 etc...
    Just the numbers RIM uses may make more sense to them, I like the numbers to be honest, because it can tell you which version of the phone it is. If they named every phone differently there would be a lot of names for phones that are basically the same just upgraded.
    08-05-11 07:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD