I really find it amusing that every new phone wants to a very straightforward iPhone ripoff!
    The Pixel
    Honor 8
    1+3 (to some extent)
    And what I fear the most is the upcoming mercury!
    While what we have seen are only renders and not the final decision so maybe not fair to judge right now
    But the frame in the renders looks extremely iPhonish *yuck*
    I'd much rather prefer the classic or Passport frame! (just my opinion)

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Jake2826 and rt2567 like this.
    10-13-16 10:12 AM
    Apple did not find round chamfering. It was there all along. I don't like the latest designs from htc and Chinese. But samsung, LG and Sony designs are pretty different. I don't think the renders look like an iPhone.
    10-13-16 10:16 AM
    Perhaps it's because that's what most people prefer? Most smartphone makers would jump at the chance to carve their own niche with a unique style but what you end up with is a Passport which most people wouldn't consider using and ends up taking you out of the hardware and the smartphone OS business.
    10-13-16 10:36 AM
    Maybe because the iPhone is such a success....?

Why do people that like the Classic or Passport, think that others should also?
    10-13-16 10:43 AM
    People rip off what works.

Remember, there once were Bold knockoffs.
    10-13-16 10:51 AM
    Hey, you can see a similar trend in trucks.
    If you compare a 1998 Chev half ton to a 2014 you'll see that the 2014 is much larger, taller and "beefier" looking.

I blame that on following the way that Ford (the best selling truck) and Dodge went with their trucks. So, we wind up with taller (probably wider) trucks that cut more wind but likely don't have any better ground clearance.

This is at the cost of functionality: I just compared my 2013 4x4 GMC against a relative's 2010 2 wheel drive Dodge: the Dodge is about 2 inches higher at the tail gate - doesn't sound like a big deal until you're trying to load a piano!

So, the big industry sellers often make a trend that people copy, despite it not necessarily being the best.
    10-13-16 11:00 AM
    Because that's what we are as people. We live and breathe not in our own light but in that of others.
    blackmass likes this.
    10-13-16 11:08 AM

The cheap Chinese companies did that
    I'd expect better from Google at least

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-13-16 11:15 AM
    Apple did not find round chamfering. It was there all along. I don't like the latest designs from htc and Chinese. But samsung, LG and Sony designs are pretty different. I don't think the renders look like an iPhone. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...dfdc4d239c.jpg
    Yes in this pic it doesn't look so
    But I was talking about the frame
    Refer the pic you had attached from the presentation which shows the frame. It looks very iPhonish

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-13-16 11:16 AM
    The iPhone, as a line and brand, is one of the most successful consumer products ever. If I were running a smartphone manufacturer, I'd want to mimic that product as much as I could(without ending up in court, of course) in hopes of achieving similar success.
    Last edited by MikeX74; 10-13-16 at 02:03 PM.
    TGR1 and JeepBB like this.
    10-13-16 12:05 PM
    Yes in this pic it doesn't look so
    But I was talking about the frame
    Refer the pic you had attached from the presentation which shows the frame. It looks very iPhonish

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876

As I said chamfered frames are pretty standard in design. The render is same as the presentation.
    10-13-16 12:33 PM
    Looks like a Silver Passport hybrid
    10-13-16 12:40 PM

The Nokia E line was great, one of my favourite phones - I wonder who got the Keyboard IP? Did it pass to Microsoft with the Mobility unit?
    10-13-16 12:52 PM
    The whole smartphone industry is converging on designs that work and are universally aesthetically pleasing. No surprise there.
    TGR1, shaleem, FF22 and 1 others like this.
    10-13-16 01:30 PM
    What goes around comes around. Glass slabs may be popular now, but who knows in the future?

Just like electric cars or corn alcohol cars. They existed a hundred years ago!! But gasoline became the standard, yet things are slowly changing again. I'm seeing a lot of electric or hybrid cars...

Maybe someday the pkb will be popular again.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    10-13-16 01:34 PM
    What goes around comes around. Glass slabs may be popular now, but who knows in the future?

Just like electric cars or corn alcohol cars. They existed a hundred years ago!! But gasoline became the standard, yet things are slowly changing again. I'm seeing a lot of electric or hybrid cars...

Maybe someday the pkb will be popular again.

For that to happen, a company has to not only make a great product with a PKB, but also explain to the buying public why they would or should want to buy one. In recent years, BB has failed rather miserably at the latter.
    shaleem and JeepBB like this.
    10-13-16 02:06 PM
    Bb's failure to do so was from poor management and marketing. The devices were sound, once software was properly updated in time. And one does not need a superior device to gain consumer support; clever marketing will do that. BlackBerry lacked the means to do this and did not respond in time to shifts in the consumer purchasing habits. Oh well, life goes on.

10-13-16 02:12 PM
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...a863b9a6ea.jpg

As I said chamfered frames are pretty standard in design. The render is same as the presentation.
    Where did you get that presentation? Is it a real one or a fan made render?
    10-13-16 02:17 PM
    Where did you get that presentation? Is it a real one or a fan made render?
    Fan made presentation
    10-13-16 03:11 PM

Why do all upcoming phones want to be iPhone ripoffs?-htc_ht722g700375_20080211.jpg

Yeah the first Android was going to be one of those....

But the iPhone caught everyone off balance... Google reacted quickly and dropped this PKB phone for a Slider that had a larger screen (so they could rip off what was current). Sadly the new born Android OS was more stable and feature rich than what BlackBerry tried to stuff into the STORM. So Verizon and others rush to Google to save them from AT&T & Apples exclusivity.

If they hadn't put that push to click screen on the STORM, if they had add a little more RAM... things might have been different.
    10-13-16 03:25 PM
    Bb's failure to do so was from poor management and marketing. The devices were sound, once software was properly updated in time. And one does not need a superior device to gain consumer support; clever marketing will do that. BlackBerry lacked the means to do this and did not respond in time to shifts in the consumer purchasing habits. Oh well, life goes on.

What you're saying is reminiscent of the battle cry of many BB users: that clever marketing is the primary reason why the general public uses and purchases non-BB devices. Clever marketing may convince someone to BUY a product, but it can't convince someone to KEEP a product that doesn't work properly or fails to meet the needs for which it was purchased.

Would you keep a product that was defective or didn't suit your needs just because of a catchy commercial? I wouldn't.
    shaleem and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    10-13-16 03:30 PM
    It's all about what the consumer wants and likes, the iPhone has become such a success story and has out sold any device out there and you ask why they would want to copy the design, it's pretty obvious, success sells.
    10-13-16 04:02 PM
    Of course. Great marketing helps brand recognition, but if the product is lousy, people will use something else. Note7, case in point.

BlackBerry had many problems. Marketing was just one. They're trying to right the ship, so I wish them best of luck. But I'm also sorry to see the last of the pkb makers going away. I've always preferred the tactile sensation of a real kb vs a vkb, and I hope that these types of phones don't vanish from the marketplace. Used models are always around but they cannot keep up with technology and will sooner or later become too outdated to be very useful.

For now, the glass slabs have won the battle.

MikeX74 likes this.
    10-13-16 04:16 PM
    The Nokia E line was great, one of my favourite phones - I wonder who got the Keyboard IP? Did it pass to Microsoft with the Mobility unit?
    Likely retained by Nokia,

Why Nokia didn't sell its patents to Microsoft | Reuters
    cgk likes this.
    10-13-16 04:45 PM

No, BlackBerry went to sleep and thought that they could just rest on their laurels. In this industry, you need more than just "clever marketing."
    JeepBB, Thud Hardsmack and MikeX74 like this.
    10-13-16 07:29 PM
75 123