Last time I checked, Facebook supports every Mobile platform. They are present on all Mobile platforms and support new platforms from the beginning regardless of the user base (they are even present on Ubuntu for phones). In case of BB and WP apps, it is BB and Microsoft that develop the Facebook app and provide updates. So essentially Facebook has allowed them to do so.

In contrast, Instagram is present only on 2 Mobile platforms ATM. There is high demand for it in BB World and WP Store, yet there is no app in sight. Why is it that Facebook doesnt wait for a substantial user base to be present on a platform and Instagram gets to wait 'till there are enough users'. From what I understand Facebook and Instagram both aim to reach the maximum number of people that they can.

I understand that Instagram is a very significant part of Facebook (the company) and therefore may have a slightly different way of functioning. But I know that they have said that they aim to reach as many users as they can, and I thought their acquisition by Facebook would give them the resources to do so. And even if Instagram is not allotted as many resources within Facebook as they would have liked, why not just let BB develop the app for you, like they did with the Facebook app.
    07-29-13 07:31 PM
    Instagram was only recently acquired by facebook. I'm sure its still operating as a separate company at this point, and I would imagine the end goal is to integrate the functionality into the facebook app, so I can't see why facebook would force of even suggest their subsidiary spend dollars developing a soon to be extinct app for new platforms.
    07-29-13 07:35 PM
    There's also a difference in scale.

Instagram has 130 million active users.
    Facebook: 1100 million users.
    07-29-13 07:36 PM
    There's also a difference in scale.

Instagram has 130 million active users.
    Facebook: 1100 million users.
    True the scale varies in a big way. But the ONLY way to get a bigger potential user base for Instagram, is to go to other platforms. In case of Facebook, people can still use the web interface with complete functionality, where as for Instagram a Mobile app is a must.
    07-29-13 07:40 PM
    True the scale varies in a big way. But the ONLY way to get a bigger potential user base for Instagram, is to go to other platforms. In case of Facebook, people can still use the web interface with complete functionality, where as for Instagram a Mobile app is a must.
    Yeah but since they already have 90% of all smartphone users covered...

Think of it this way. Let's say there are a billion Android and iOS devices that can run potentially run instagram. This means there is a pool of 870 million new users that they could attempt to win over. Contrast this to a pool of 5 million BB10 users. That's a rounding error. It's just not worth it at this point.
    07-29-13 07:48 PM
    Instagram was only recently acquired by facebook. I'm sure its still operating as a separate company at this point, and I would imagine the end goal is to integrate the functionality into the facebook app, so I can't see why facebook would force of even suggest their subsidiary spend dollars developing a soon to be extinct app for new platforms.
    If Facebook plans to integrate Instagram into the FB app that would be great and interesting. I would like to see how/if they kepp the Instagram photos separate from the regular photos. What happens to 'Instagram' the Brand. Do they just add Instagram filters in their app and call it the day? Do we get to keep our Instagram/FB privacy policy separate? CAn we allow anyone to see our Instagram feed but not allow them to see anything else. Too many questions if FB integrates Instagram into the FB service.
    07-29-13 07:49 PM