The speculation begins.

If it is truly possible to make an Instagram client (apparently it is possible, as it is on wp8 but I'm no dev) why didn't we see it sooner? Couldn't there have been some funds allotted for third party development? It's been over half a year since BB10 was launched. BlackBerry spent so much time and money on the portathons and other things for third party apps.

I am not saying this is possible or not. I actually want to know if it was possible and if so what people think stopped BlackBerry. Was there something stopping them or was it just good old BlackBerry?

Discuss.

Posted via iPhone 5s
    09-28-13 08:24 PM
    iGrann isnt launched yet so its hard to say that in the end this will make it. BB supposedly has offered to not only build a IG app but also Netflix.

AND BB is in contact and seems to be helping this dev. Hopefully they get him a device overnighted to him
    mathking606 and citystars41 like this.
    09-28-13 08:27 PM
    The speculation begins.

If it is truly possible to make an Instagram client (apparently it is possible, as it is on wp8 but I'm no dev) why didn't we see it sooner? Couldn't there have been some funds allotted for third party development? It's been over half a year since BB10 was launched. BlackBerry spent so much time and money on the portathons and other things for third party apps.

I am not saying this is possible or not. I actually want to know if it was possible and if so what people think stopped BlackBerry. Was there something stopping them or was it just good old BlackBerry?

Discuss.

Posted via iPhone 5s
    These apps don't use the official api but instead just reversed engineered the android/ios apps. While it seems that Instagram is fine with turning a blind eye, I doubt that Blackberry is willing to fund and endorse these types of apps.
    09-28-13 08:29 PM
    I hope they aren't any lawyers involved as part of the 'help'...

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 08:30 PM
    Because in order to make an application like iGrann, it requires reverse-engineering the official IG application, which is frowned upon and in most cases illegal. BlackBerry wouldn't be caught dead doing this, but a private developer is a different story. If IG will look past the issues then it'll be a go, just like they did for one or two WP fully functional IG apps.

--Q10 and Canadian all the way! Posted via CB10 on 10.2.0.1443. #IChooseBlackBerry10
    raino and damien kupuku like this.
    09-28-13 08:30 PM
    iGrann isnt launched yet so its hard to say that in the end this will make it. BB supposedly has offered to not only build a IG app but also Netflix.

AND BB is in contact and seems to be helping this dev. Hopefully they get him a device overnighted to him
    Assuming the app does launch.

I understand that they offered Netflix and instagram to make an official client. Denied. That's known. Not possible for a dev to make a real Netflix one I also understand.

However, If it is legal to do this and possible why didn't BlackBerry initiate such a project themselves, and especially why not earlier?

Posted via iPhone 5s
    09-28-13 08:32 PM
    Lets not celebrate till the app is released. For all we know this can all be a hoax. So until the app is released, downloadable and fully working, I'm going to keep my expectations low.
    09-28-13 08:34 PM
    Lets not celebrate till the app is released. For all we know this can all be a hoax. So until the app is released, downloadable and fully working, I'm going to keep my expectations low.
    I'm not celebrating either. But CB did post it on the front page.

Posted via iPhone 5s
    09-28-13 08:35 PM
    Of course we posted it. Its huge really if it works out.
    09-28-13 08:41 PM

I haven't been following the whole thing too closely but if even we are aware that BlackBerry is in contact with him helping him doesn't that already have them involved if this is illegal? Is this on the main iGrann thread where it shows they contacted him?

Posted via iPhone 5s
    09-28-13 08:42 PM
    One thing I'll say is: I'd have wanted FULL payment, in advance. Don't forget the guy who claimed BB encouraged him repeatedly to develop an unofficial app, only to have them reject him, and offer him a free phone...lol... when they got the official app.
    09-28-13 08:42 PM
    Of course we posted it. Its huge really if it works out.
    Not trying to come off rude or anything but iv been meaning to ask... just curious really..are u apart of the CB team..im somewhat new as a member but I've been frequent here for years..

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 08:48 PM
    There are things an indy developer can get away with that a multi-billion dollar corp just can't.
    Rowan M, bradu1, eldricho and 1 others like this.
    09-28-13 08:54 PM
    My guess is that they didn't help this app developer out because BlackBerry really thought they could persuade their good friend Facebook into developing a native Instagram app.

Nothing wrong with this third party app I'm sure, and it'll be great for whoever wants it, but it's just sad that BlackBerry (and its users..) have to "settle" for something like this.

It's kind of like a superstar who used to sell out arenas, who now plays the guitar on the corner with their guitar case open so people can drop in a few coins.
    09-28-13 08:55 PM
    I haven't been following the whole thing too closely but if even we are aware that BlackBerry is in contact with him helping him doesn't that already have them involved if this is illegal? Is this on the main iGrann thread where it shows they contacted him?

Posted via iPhone 5s
    An employee of BlackBerry contacted the developer personally and probably with his own decision. This removes any liability from BlackBerry.

--Q10 and Canadian all the way! Posted via CB10 on 10.2.0.1443. #IChooseBlackBerry10
    09-28-13 09:13 PM
    An employee of BlackBerry contacted the developer personally and probably with his own decision. This removes any liability from BlackBerry.

Who was it? Clewley? I'm haven't seen this yet

Posted via iPhone 5s
    09-28-13 09:15 PM

They should not just overnight a device, a couple of BlackBerry's devs also to help him finish tonight lol
    09-28-13 09:16 PM
    Who was it? Clewley? I'm haven't seen this yet

Posted via iPhone 5s
    Yes, Clewley.

09-28-13 09:21 PM
    Yes, Clewley.

On his verified channel as a BlackBerry employee. Interesting that this is being openly promoted by him at this point.

Posted via iPhone 5s
    09-28-13 09:28 PM
    Because Thor would rather sell the company and cash in his sweet 55mil.
    09-28-13 09:36 PM
    The Instagram API terms of use states that you cannot "Use Instagram APIs for any application that replicates or attempts to replace the essential user experience of Instagram.com or the Instagram iPhone App". So in the past, that meant 3rd party apps were pretty much limited only to viewers. It seems though with 6tag (full featured 3rd party Windows Phone app), that they may be selectively turning a blind eye to it on a platform they're not developing on. Hoping this will be true in this case as well.
    Last edited by BlackBerry Guy; 09-28-13 at 10:29 PM.
    09-28-13 09:50 PM
    The Instagram API terms of use states that you cannot "Use Instagram APIs for any application that replicates or attempts to replace the essential user experience of Instagram.com or the Instagram iPhone App". So in the past, that pretty much meant 3rd party apps were pretty much limited only to viewers. It seems though with 6tag (full featured 3rd party Windows Phone app), that they may be selectively turning a blind eye to it on a platform they're not developing on. Hoping this will be true in this case as well.
    ...which is why BlackBerry never did it.

09-28-13 10:09 PM
    Frankly with the API now available. Why didn't Blackberry write an app their selves.
    09-28-13 11:15 PM
    Frankly with the API now available. Why didn't Blackberry write an app their selves.
    Read the comment above yours.

anon(5818411) likes this.
    09-28-13 11:16 PM
    6tag did manage to get finally get an approval from Instagram.
    09-28-13 11:17 PM
63 123