As someone who carries 2 phones, a Blackberry has almost always been 1 of the 2. Whether the Blackberry is on my work line or my personal line. I think the reason I like Blackberry is battery life and form factor. The other phones I carried when not using a Blackberry were my Nokia E71 and my Palm Pixi Plus, which are similar form factor. My other phone is usually an Android but has also been an iPhone in the past. If I was to carry 1 phone only, it would not be a Blackberry. Maybe the 9900 but the current lineup is very unattractive. I must say I'm hooked on the apps and speed of other devices. I'm too impatient to wait for something to download or to wait for an app to close on my Blackberry. Ideally I could get use to not having apps if my Blackberry had more speed. It gets frustrating to see my Blackberry download a 300kB file slower than my Android downloads a 2mb file, every time.
    06-25-11 11:01 PM
    Iphone does not have homescreen short cut and the ability to cut-n-paste is almost nonexistence. Those are crucial for me on getting things done.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-11 10:03 AM
    Iphone does not have homescreen short cut and the ability to cut-n-paste is almost nonexistence. Those are crucial for me on getting things done.

The iPhone has full support for cut and paste.
    06-26-11 10:52 AM

And I believe they also have home screen shortcuts as well.

06-26-11 10:55 AM
    As someone who carries 2 phones, a Blackberry has almost always been 1 of the 2. Whether the Blackberry is on my work line or my personal line. I think the reason I like Blackberry is battery life and form factor. The other phones I carried when not using a Blackberry were my Nokia E71 and my Palm Pixi Plus, which are similar form factor. My other phone is usually an Android but has also been an iPhone in the past. If I was to carry 1 phone only, it would not be a Blackberry. Maybe the 9900 but the current lineup is very unattractive. I must say I'm hooked on the apps and speed of other devices. I'm too impatient to wait for something to download or to wait for an app to close on my Blackberry. Ideally I could get use to not having apps if my Blackberry had more speed. It gets frustrating to see my Blackberry download a 300kB file slower than my Android downloads a 2mb file, every time.
    Work provides my Blackberry. I carry a 5" Dell Streak on a data plan for personal use. I have wondered which I would choose if I was forced to pick one.

My Blackberry... I use it 90% of the time. It is a messaging machine. It's the device I take with me everywhere.

I whip out my Dell Streak to read news, follow my feeds, etc. With the big screen it's great to read and still pocketable. But I don't carry it everywhere.

So if I had to pick; I think I'd choose my Blackberry. It does most of what I need to do the best.
    06-26-11 10:58 AM
    go for the iPhone.

iPhone is just as secure, it is about to receive federal government clearance for use in government.

You have push notifications with the iPhone (including synchronizing messages with Meebo through all computers your connected to).

Most amazing applications, don't get fooled when RIM claims their apps are "super apps", pure bs.

Don't bother getting a BB today to build a BBM list, since many people have already ditched it.
    06-26-11 02:34 PM
    I like the ability to carry an extra battery and add the fact that it is easy to replace if the battery starts acting up, sd memory card that you can expand to your needs,
    and i like the rock solid reliability.

the black berry curve i had was run over by my truck, and the phone never missed a beat. im sure my torch wouldnt survive the same abuse
    06-26-11 05:49 PM
    Not being locked to Apple...

Being able to change the Battery when i want to.
    Hardware holds up better.

http://www.wds.co/news/archive/2011/...2/20110622.asp
    Last edited by jerry12; 06-26-11 at 07:33 PM.
    06-26-11 06:33 PM
    I chose a Blackberry and will continue to stick to a Blackberry due to five (5) important factors: security, data compression, reliability, practicality and email.

1. Security: Blackberry is well-known for their solid security, especially in regards to BES. However, BIS, the service mainly known for consumers and small businesses, is still far more secure than whatever Apple and Android has to offer. BIS automatically encrypts your email, instant messages and various data if your servers support SSL. Also, while all platforms have viruses and malware, Blackberry has the very least amount. Furthermore, BIS regulates data transmissions to ensure solid connections and security.

2. Data Compression: What many people do not know about Blackberries are their abilities to compress data. Specifically, BIS compresses the data you send and receive, allowing you to basically "do more with less". From various Blackberry sources, data compression of Blackberry data usage is 5-10 times more efficient than an Apple and Android. This is extremely useful, as many companies are beginning to impose data caps and throttles to many of their plans.

3. Reliability: My friends complain to me about their iphones and Androids crashing regularly and even being infected at other times. On my Blackberry, I have none of these issues. Since I bought my Blackberry several months ago, it has worked tirelessly without a fuss, receiving heavy amounts of data each day pertaining to my business reliably.

4. Practicality: The qwerty keyboard of Blackberry is world-class. Other phones have qwerty keyboards, but none match the speed, preciseness and the professional feel of a Blackberry. In regards to the battery, as mentioned many times, it lasts very long in comparison to other competitors. My buddies, with their iphones and androids, have an average battery duration of 4-6 hours. My Blackberry, even content encryption, easily averages 12-14 hours (I suspect it can last a day or two if content encryption was off). Lastly, as a critical criticism, why does the iphone have a battery that cannot be replaced?

5. Email: Last, but not least, is email. When it comes to the handling of your email, Blackberry does it best - period. Being very secure and extremely easy (and addicting) to use, I rarely do emails on my pc now.

The Blackberry might not have flashy looks and features of the iphone or the brute multimedia power of the Android, but when it comes to the essentials, or in other words, what's truly important, Blackberry always comes up on top.
    jthep likes this.
    06-26-11 11:29 PM
    ... Why Blackberry over iphone?
    I have both an I like both. The iphone is great for games and surfing the net on your handheld. It has a bigger screen for doing this. It handles Gmail very well in terms of synchronization. If I use my iphone, it is on weekends and evenings. It is a great entertainment device.

I love my Blackberry because of the efficiency of the OS. The screen is very good in bright sunlight. The keyboard is outstanding for messaging. One of the things I hate about the iphone is losing 90% of your screen to the virtual keyboard.

The Blackberry has way better battery life and way better call quality.

If you are texting, messaging and calling a lot, the blackberry is better. If you are playing with your phone more (music, videos, apps, etc.) the iphone is better.

For me, I need both right now. I swap the SIM card back and forth.

One isn't better than the other, but one would be better for you.

I use my Berry during the day for heavy messaging and talking and when battery life is important. If I am goofing around on evenings and weekends, I am on the iphone.

Hope this helps.
    06-26-11 11:36 PM
    A new argument is needed. If iPhone is not for business, explain why a whole department of people where I work, who carried blackberry devices (and have the option to continue with blackberry), have switched to iPhone? The option is there to get a new blackberry device for those who previously had no smartphone and they also chose iPhone. Persons have gotten rid of personal blackberry devices connected to work BES and purchased iPhones. Every one of these people need the battery to be working. Every one of these people need it for productive reasons (as there is even an approval process to go through before purchasing one). Yet, people continue to talk as if its only use is for games and non-productive uses. I can give you one example where the iPhone kills a Blackberry daily for work. I received an e-mail from someone with about five 24 bit 1024x768 photos at 72dpi and I could see ALL of them in the e-mail and save to the phone. I can assure you the experience is not the same on the Blackberry currently. Open a PDF, Word doc, or Excel doc on both devices. Trust me when I tell you, there are daily uses for companies to be able to do what I just mentioned. I will even say I tested an Android with the work account and the iPhone excelled over the native e-mail app on Android. Main reason being the fact it had to open a doc in another app and the fact it didn't even format out right once viewed. No such issue with the iPhone.

From a consumer view, they can live with an Android also as it isn't often you have to read an attachment and reply.

I'm saying all this as someone who carries a Blackberry and iPhone daily. And I honestly charge both as much as the other. I haven't gone more days without charging on the BB vs the iPhone. Usage, in my opinion, determines how often one needs to charge the device. I've seen an improvement in the Android devices with battery life as that was a complaint of mine previously. Now my only complaint is the fact I don't like the native e-mail and I'm sure there can be an app that is better out there for that.

If you prefer the Blackberry, that is fine. But, do acknowledge it is your preference and not this rubbish about the others being for play and only the BB is good for productive business or good on battery.
    I don't think he meant it can't be used for business...he simply implied in his opinion a bb is better for certain things and an iphone for certain other things.

I honestly think if you are messaging/emailing you'll pull less of your hair out using a blackberry as it is much easier to type on. I have an S2 and an ipad and I wouldn't dream of doing my emails on my ipad ahead of my bb. However, there is a whole other slew of things I'd do on the ipad first.
    06-27-11 12:14 PM
    A new argument is needed. If iPhone is not for business, explain why a whole department of people where I work, who carried blackberry devices (and have the option to continue with blackberry), have switched to iPhone? The option is there to get a new blackberry device for those who previously had no smartphone and they also chose iPhone. Persons have gotten rid of personal blackberry devices connected to work BES and purchased iPhones. Every one of these people need the battery to be working. Every one of these people need it for productive reasons (as there is even an approval process to go through before purchasing one). Yet, people continue to talk as if its only use is for games and non-productive uses. I can give you one example where the iPhone kills a Blackberry daily for work. I received an e-mail from someone with about five 24 bit 1024x768 photos at 72dpi and I could see ALL of them in the e-mail and save to the phone. I can assure you the experience is not the same on the Blackberry currently. Open a PDF, Word doc, or Excel doc on both devices. Trust me when I tell you, there are daily uses for companies to be able to do what I just mentioned. I will even say I tested an Android with the work account and the iPhone excelled over the native e-mail app on Android. Main reason being the fact it had to open a doc in another app and the fact it didn't even format out right once viewed. No such issue with the iPhone.

From a consumer view, they can live with an Android also as it isn't often you have to read an attachment and reply.

I'm saying all this as someone who carries a Blackberry and iPhone daily. And I honestly charge both as much as the other. I haven't gone more days without charging on the BB vs the iPhone. Usage, in my opinion, determines how often one needs to charge the device. I've seen an improvement in the Android devices with battery life as that was a complaint of mine previously. Now my only complaint is the fact I don't like the native e-mail and I'm sure there can be an app that is better out there for that.

If you prefer the Blackberry, that is fine. But, do acknowledge it is your preference and not this rubbish about the others being for play and only the BB is good for productive business or good on battery.
    The blackberry IMO is far better for messaging than the iphone. Virtual keyboards can't compete with the Blackberry. They never will. I waste a lot of time with the iphone when messaging checking to see if the dictionary has given me the right word. Often it dos not and my message is incoherent.

The iphone has a bigger processor and screen than the blackberry so it is simple physics that the blackberry battery lasts much longer!!

Documents such as word, excel, powerpoint, embedded photos in emails work just fine on the blackberry. The iphone is a little bit of a better experience, but the blackberry's user interface for these tasks is fine.

Phone quality on the iphone is inferior. Call quality on the iphone 4 is abysmal.

The iphone 4 handles multiple email accounts very poorly. Too many menu screens. Email on Android is better than the iphone too which you commented on. I have the Nexus S and email on this is way better than the iphone in terms of accessing different accounts and notifications.

People are using iphone for business, but that does not means it is the best device.

People in my company are on iphones because they love to play games during the day. Their email responses are typically 3 or 5 words with the wrong words in the message because of the dictionary picking the wrong word.

For editing, cutting, pasting, a large email on a mobile, the blackberry is way more efficient for me. I use all 3 phones.

My iphone largely sits in a drawer at home now.

I am using my Blackberry during the business week. Sometimes, I fly the Android in the evenings and always use the Android on weekends when I read more emails than I write.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 06-29-11 at 04:10 AM.
    Reed McLay likes this.
    06-27-11 01:02 PM

I used the word optimized, not the word only.

There is no question, both devices are capable of communications and entertainment. Each has their strengths and weakness.

I use both a BlackBerry and iPhone. My SIM card lives in the BlackBerry, the Apple gets it's turn when I have software to present to a client.
    06-27-11 01:28 PM
    Just had to let people on here with Blackberry phones, my favorite and most useful app ever is on on sale for $25 today. The Tether app!!! iPhone still doesn't have this, the only way to tether without paying extra to your your carrier is to jailbreak it and ruin your warranty.

Tether for Blackberry, for those that don't know, it turns your BB into an aircard for your laptop without monthly fees. It circumvents the carrier that charges monthly fees for tethering. Buy it once, your share data for free between your phone and your laptop.
    06-27-11 02:06 PM
    Just had to let people on here with Blackberry phones, my favorite and most useful app ever is on on sale for $25 today. The Tether app!!! iPhone still doesn't have this, the only way to tether without paying extra to your your carrier is to jailbreak it and ruin your warranty.

Tether for Blackberry, for those that don't know, it turns your BB into an aircard for your laptop without monthly fees. It circumvents the carrier that charges monthly fees for tethering. Buy it once, your share data for free between your phone and your laptop.
    How does jailbreaking void your warranty when you can always just reload the stock OS if you need to send it in for warranty repair?
    06-27-11 02:30 PM
    Don't recall quoting your post to be honest.

In any case, it was more directed to this notion that the Blackberry is productive and iPhone is entertainment. To which I almost have to say, why shouldn't I want some entertainment from my several hundred dollar/quid device? But, moving on.

@E92Vancouver, I will respectfully disagree on the Android Exchange experience being better (Android lost in a search for someone in my company directory by the way). Do remember I did say it was a preference though. I am not expecting what works for me to be same for everyone. And although I have games on it, I don't play them while at work and I mainly carry the phone when I'm away from my desk. That also was a preference made by your colleagues. But, it doesn't speak to how everyone uses it. While I understand what you are saying about typing on a touchscreen, I have yet to experience a problem of receiving incoherent e-mails or even sending one myself. The predictive texts are usually correct and correcting them while typing has been quite easy for me. I actually have become quite proficient at typing on a touchscreen with as much errors as I made with the bb keyboard. lol. Perhaps I have bad hearing as I can't really complain about call quality either. I will complain that I don't get anywhere near the 3G speeds I have read some folks getting. But, at home this thing is on Wi-Fi (and sometimes at the office also). But, again, that is my experience. It doesn't sound like you have had the same experience as I and others here have had.
    I like the iphone and wish I had an iphone 4. I am relegated to the 3GS because Apple went to the microSIM on the iphone 4 and I don't want to use the SIM tray adapter.

The iphone 4 is a much better experience than the 3GS, but the 3GS has better call quality than the iphone 4.

Don't get me wrong. The iphone is an impressive device. They really raised the bar for smartphone features and standards.
    06-27-11 02:53 PM
    I have a tendency to break touch screens, Hence the 9780
    06-27-11 03:05 PM
    For years Apple blamed ATT on shoddy iPhone reception, but now that Verizon has it too, I think its pretty clear, its the phone, not the carriers.

Without being a programmer or tester for Apple, my own theory is Apple starts with the iPod touch design and adds the phone features as an afterthought.

iPhone is an excellent media playing device and the browsing is smoother and faster than any Blackberry I have used. As a phone though, it kinda sux. The battery life, while an improvement on the iPhone 4 and better than almost any Android phone I have seen, still falls well short of any Blackberry I have used. Also my own personal preference for a QWERTY keyboard for typing emails/texting/messaging makes the iPhone seem highly impractical...
    06-27-11 03:33 PM
    For years Apple blamed ATT on shoddy iPhone reception, but now that Verizon has it too, I think its pretty clear, its the phone, not the carriers.

Without being a programmer or tester for Apple, my own theory is Apple starts with the iPod touch design and adds the phone features as an afterthought.

iPhone is an excellent media playing device and the browsing is smoother and faster than any Blackberry I have used. As a phone though, it kinda sux. The battery life, while an improvement on the iPhone 4 and better than almost any Android phone I have seen, still falls well short of any Blackberry I have used. Also my own personal preference for a QWERTY keyboard for typing emails/texting/messaging makes the iPhone seem highly impractical...
    The reception on my verizon iphone is really really good. So idk what you are talking about.
    FigureThisOut likes this.
    06-27-11 03:38 PM
    I get this question all the time working in an AT&T retailer. There are a few reasons why I have chosen BlackBerry over iPhone and will probably continue to do so. I have used the iPhone, as well as the two bolds and now the torch (also a nokia e72 on some days) and for me, Blackberry wins.

The huge element for me is not only the quick and efficient email and communications, but also how quick those and other tasks are done. The keyboard plays a big role here. A message comes in, I'm able to pull my phone out of my pocket/holster, glance at the screen, and type my reply without looking. I CAN'T STAND having to stare at the screen and aim for every touch key when typing. It makes tasks cumbersome and time consuming. (no I don't like swype either)

My personal experience has also shown my blackberry devices to be far superior in terms of being an actual phone. My iPhone experience was terrible in regards to reception and holding on to calls. I switched to a bold 9000 and I immediately received better results. My two iPhones I used also had horrible sound quality, I could barely understand the other person when listening to them talk. This will make sense to any other music recording hobbyists out there, but it was heavy on the mid-range area and made it sound like my callers were not articulate.

All in all, the iPhone is more of a media/gaming device. I have no need for that in any way. The blackberry keeps the focus on communication, which is what I need a phone to do. If I'm traveling, I have an iPod touch to handle any entertainment needs. The additional device takes up minimal space and that saves my phones battery.
    06-27-11 03:53 PM
    I don't have the smoking gun of millions of users on surveys on Verizon phone service and iPhone 4's, I have nothing more than anecdotal evidence, but I can say, I still hear the same complaints from people that plunged into the Verizon version of the phone.

It is quite amazing that despite the iPhones various problems over the years, it is still such a juggernaut in sales. Toyota should have hired Apple's marketing team when they had dangerous defects in their cars! My brakes don't work! But its OK, bc its "magical"! lol

I have owned two Blackberry phones in the last 5 years. The Curve 8320, which at the time was a decent smartphone, but cannot compare of phones of today. I dl Opera browser bc it was much better than the standard BB Browser which up until the Torch, I was never impressed with. I had on average a battery pull a week, so it wasn't perfect. But I loved the BBM/emails/texting/messaging, notifications, full QWERTY keyboard, and good reception even on ATT!

Then I got the Torch 9800, which I still have. It has a touch screen like other popular smartphones, but retained a QWERTY keyboard (slider) and trackpad. Superior design, IMO. The web browsing is much improved and while not quite as fast as some other top smartphones, is still every bit as capable as any other phone and works well, minus flash. I rarely have had to do a battery pull, and it does all the same BB stuff just as good as ever plus its actually a really good media device too. I even used the same 16gig SD card from my Curve.

iPhone has the weaker battery, worse reception, no QWERTY keyboard, and an intrusive notification system that interrupts whatever you are doing (minor, but annoying). It does apps and media perhaps as good or better than any phone though, but simple stuff like texting or phone calls, for me is a chore!
    06-27-11 03:59 PM
    The reason I love my blackberry is simply the fact that I like the keyboard, and the operating system. There are lots of little things that you can do on a blackberry that you simply can not do on android or iOS. I also like the fact that there are no games on my blackberry, because I don't like being one of those people where when I am hanging out with friends all I am doing is playing games on my phone

Now with that said, I am typing this on my ipad, and though I do not like ting on it, I love it as a computer replacement rather then a phone. I do all my reading on it, watch all my YouTube subscriptions, play games on it (obviously I don't bring it when I hang with friends), check Facebook, and watch Netflix on the go. Obviously I did this all on my laptop prior, but having the iPad made it so much more enjoyable for the simple fact that I ca do virtually everything on it, and not have to worry about carrying around all the cables and such and go through all that hassle.

So in my life, i have room for both iOS and blackberry, and love it. In the future I also plan to get a Mac computer to program for iOS, and dual boot windows for gaming.
    06-27-11 05:00 PM
    If Apple was not so stubborn and came out with an iphone model that also had a keyboard, that would be the end of RIM.

But Steve Jobs says you don't need a physical keyboard and this has allowed RIM to live and fight another day. The next 18 months will be rough for RIM but if they can pull it off with QNX, you will see great things from this company again.

They really need to cater to the consumer more and get better Gmail integration. Most of this world is on Gmail for email.
    06-27-11 06:14 PM
    If Apple was not so stubborn and came out with an iphone model that also had a keyboard, that would be the end of RIM.

But Steve Jobs says you don't need a physical keyboard and this has allowed RIM to live and fight another day. The next 18 months will be rough for RIM but if they can pull it off with QNX, you will see great things from this company again.

They really need to cater to the consumer more and get better Gmail integration. Most of this world is on Gmail for email.
    Gmail is already pretty integrated with contacts/calendar sync and folders, what more do you expect from it?
    06-27-11 06:42 PM
    yeah i really like the performance and syncing of gmail on my berry. I also have the gmail app on there so that I can access my entire inbox or if i feel like using it.
    06-27-11 06:55 PM
94 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD