The concept that BBs are better at "work communiciations" is from about 2002. The ONLY things that BB has that others don't is:

1) Excellent hardware keyboard
    2) Secure BES capabilities

I'm an attorney and I use my phone 24/7 for my job. 10% is talking, 50% is email/text, 30% is navigation (google maps), 5% is calendaring and 5% is miscellaneous (listening to podcasts, surfing the web, etc.) In addition to that I use the phone extensively to tether my laptop.

Having said that, I'm just about to pull the trigger on an iPhone. There's really nothing I need a phone to do that the iPhone can't do. AND the iPhone has consumer IMAP capabilities, which I'm starting to need. Though I will have to get used to the touchscreen keyboard.
    Last edited by Furballz; 06-23-11 at 06:04 PM.
    06-23-11 06:00 PM
    I totally see the appeal of the iphone. For me, the keyboard and messaging is the biggest part of my mobile need. Nobody does that better than Blackberry.

But, I carry around a Dell Streak for my media/internet needs.
    06-23-11 06:25 PM
    This thread was answered early on with "Personal Preference". Other than some BES features, there are few things that one cannot do that the other cannot. If you use Good on the iPhone, even BES is now mostly replicated. They are both good; it is what you like!
    06-23-11 06:36 PM
    For me, its personal preference. I could never get use to any of the touchscreen keyboards, therefore BB is better for me. I also do alot of email, text, and BBM so I like those features for BB.

The IPhone has many strengths, but it comes down to personal preference and reliability for me.
    06-23-11 07:52 PM
    IMO, the only difference between Blackberry and iPhone is that iPhone has better specs while Blackberry has better battery life. Other than that, they are equal.
    06-23-11 08:36 PM
    I have to have a physical keyboard, the iPhone is alluring because of the face time and fun apps like the sleep cycles, but I'm just not sure I want to give up the keys yet.
    06-23-11 08:46 PM
    I have to have a physical keyboard, the iPhone is alluring because of the face time and fun apps like the sleep cycles, but I'm just not sure I want to give up the keys yet.
    I gave it up and things are just fine. The whole "you can never type as fast on a touch screen as a physical keyboard" is bull. Some people may not be able to, but I am faster than 90% of the people I work with that have physical keyboards. Some people just stink at typing on a small device, and others are good at it. Some people just don't like the physical kb, and other hate the on screen kb. Again, personal preference.

Why want a touch screen BB?
    - The ability to view documents wide screen with higher resolution (goes for pics, movies, etc.)
    - The flexibility to change keyboard layouts and style. You may like your standard keyboard just fine, but I loved SureType on my Storm2. The Pearl keyboard on the Storm, brilliant for me. Maybe not you, but me yes.
    - Better web browsing by far. Multi-touch motions combined with a big screen is awesome for viewing anything, especially web pages.

Those 3 alone made me switch to a Storm and then Storm2. The Storms may have been not so good devices, but I never regretted leaving my 8830 for them. I went to a 9650 for awhile, and went right back.

Again, your opinion is your opinion. It is not an absolute! People are not stupid or ignorant because they believe different.
    06-23-11 09:15 PM
    - The ability to view documents wide screen with higher resolution (goes for pics, movies, etc.)
    - The flexibility to change keyboard layouts and style. You may like your standard keyboard just fine, but I loved SureType on my Storm2. The Pearl keyboard on the Storm, brilliant for me. Maybe not you, but me yes.
    - Better web browsing by far. Multi-touch motions combined with a big screen is awesome for viewing anything, especially web pages.
    Doesn't Android give you all that (except suretype), so why BB.
    06-24-11 10:43 AM
    Keyboard.

If Apple ever releases an iPhone with a physical keyboard, it's game, set, match for RIM. They're finished. Especially since iMessage is coming in iOS5 and it's already looking to be better than BBM.
    06-24-11 11:29 AM
    With BB you only need to buy 1 phone every 2 years to have the most current model.

With Apple you need to buy 4 phones a year to stay current.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-11 03:00 PM
    With BB you only need to buy 1 phone every 2 years to have the most current model.

How is this even close to true? Bb has more phones come out during a 2 year contract than apple. And apple usually makes their OS compatible with older models. Not so true with bb.

06-24-11 03:09 PM
    I'm with the majority; an iPhone is a great phone. If someone can deal with the battery life, it's almost perfect. Normally the battery is not an issue, but during my trip to Vegas, it felt as if I was charging more than usual. I supper it has to do with me being on vacation, and constantly facebooking updates.

I still like rim, and do miss my 9700; however I don see myself going back anytime soon. Once the 9900 comes available, I may give it a test drive. If I were a lawyer, doctor or in some other profession that require the best battery life available, I would definitely choose a blackberry. In my experience of owning blackberrys, nothing comes close to their battery life. Most of that is probably due to me not playing on it as often.

I'm watching rim and their future phones, but I would be lieing if I told you tha I wasn't looking forward to the new iPhone 5. Give me a decen led notification, and I am all in with apple forthe foreseeable future.
    06-24-11 09:23 PM
    BlackBerry if your primary concern is communication, be it voice or typed. They generally have great RF, long battery life, and good hardware keyboards. Blackberries are optimized for just getting things done.

iPhone if you want everything else. The huge app ecosystem is a big plus. With the new notifications and iMessages in iOS 5, they are starting to encroach upon Blackberry's strengths. Should be an interesting next year and a half.

If you want the best of both, just dual wield a BB and a iPod touch 4.
    06-24-11 10:04 PM
    BB is tougher has better battery life, and better call quality. Notifications are great NOW.

iPhone has a bigger hi rez screen, tons more apps, better browser. Better for media.

06-24-11 10:31 PM
    It's a myth that has gained some ground here for some reason. Maybe BES users may have an argument there, but as a consumer user on BIS I don't get it either save for the keyboard preference (not relevant for the non keyboard BB's).
    Battery life is a lot of it. The second you choose a large screen (which goes hand in hand with entertainment), you are opting for shorter battery life. There is no getting around that. And I guess it is just assumed that for work it is less acceptable to be caught with a dead battery and not being able to get a job done.

06-24-11 10:38 PM
    Because it's a business phone
    06-25-11 02:37 AM
    Used to my bb push email and bbm.

06-25-11 03:45 AM
    For me:
    Keyboard, universal messaging (emails, texts, bbms, fb/twitter and everything else all in one place), themeing/customizing. (and of course bbm!)

Plus, I have an iPod touch and iPad3G for my game and app fun.
    06-25-11 05:06 AM
    Used to my bb push email and bbm.

Everyone does push email now. Actually, I had push email on my Palm Treo years ago.
    06-25-11 05:56 AM
    ... Why Blackberry over iphone?
    I think this could be nearly summarized quickly as...

If you hate touch screens, or cannot type without a physical keyboard (or don't care to learn how), buy a BlackBerry.

Also, please don't hate, don't make the argument... it's faster on a physical keyboard, because the last 6 world records for fastest typing on a mobile device have been on touch screens.

EDIT: Or there is the false sense of security RIM has managed to maintain (even though they have the worst patching policy from RIM out of every other vendor in the world, and have had an ENORMOUS vulnerability out for months regarding being able to remotely steal all your files, contacts, install and remove applications from your device... and this has been left unpatched by RIM for months now whereas all other vendors who had similar vulnerabilities found patched it within 24 hours - check out Pwn2Own 2011).
    Last edited by ewilsonn; 06-25-11 at 07:18 AM.
    06-25-11 07:15 AM
    I have to agree with this....also, in my area at least, iPhones are big on dropping calls. I can't afford to have this happen to often....I like the iPhone, but at this point wouldn't own one on this premise alone.

I gave it up and things are just fine. The whole "you can never type as fast on a touch screen as a physical keyboard" is bull. Some people may not be able to, but I am faster than 90% of the people I work with that have physical keyboards. Some people just stink at typing on a small device, and others are good at it. Some people just don't like the physical kb, and other hate the on screen kb. Again, personal preference.

Those 3 alone made me switch to a Storm and then Storm2. The Storms may have been not so good devices, but I never regretted leaving my 8830 for them. I went to a 9650 for awhile, and went right back.

Again, your opinion is your opinion. It is not an absolute! People are not stupid or ignorant because they believe different.
    06-25-11 09:05 AM
    iPhones are the king of apps, but I think 99.9% of apps on all phones are useless and impractical or are fun for about 5 minutes where it becomes useless.

Even the hyped up apps on iPhone like Netflix or Facetime at first seem really cool, where people say "Wow, look at what my phone can do!" But then reality sets in, do you want to watch an entire movie on a 3'' phone screen? Or video conference with someone who also has the moons and stars aligned perfectly in a WiFi hotspot, with an iPhone4, and wants to Facetime at that very small window of opportunity?

Blackberry is also loaded with worthless apps, but the Tether app is the most useful (and expensive!) app I ever downloaded. BBM is great, of course Apple may eventually upstage it, but as of right now, BBM is the superior messaging for BB users only.

BB has the real keyboards, generally, better battery life, better phone reception, better messaging/emails/text notifications, can be customized more, compresses data better if you want to save money on data plans, and for me is clearly the more practical and logical phone to use.

iPhone is better for media overall, better games (but even their games fall waaaay short of DS or PSP games on the whole), faster browsing, the most apps (even if almost none are useful for any phone), and is the flashier "it" product right now.

My personal preference is BB, but I apply logic and practicality to my own needs and wants to my phone. Many people just go with marketing hype though...
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    06-25-11 06:49 PM

Not even remotely true.
    06-25-11 08:19 PM
    Keyboard, BBM.
    06-25-11 09:24 PM
    iPhones are the king of apps, but I think 99.9% of apps on all phones are useless and impractical or are fun for about 5 minutes where it becomes useless.

Even the hyped up apps on iPhone like Netflix or Facetime at first seem really cool, where people say "Wow, look at what my phone can do!" But then reality sets in, do you want to watch an entire movie on a 3'' phone screen? Or video conference with someone who also has the moons and stars aligned perfectly in a WiFi hotspot, with an iPhone4, and wants to Facetime at that very small window of opportunity?

Blackberry is also loaded with worthless apps, but the Tether app is the most useful (and expensive!) app I ever downloaded. BBM is great, of course Apple may eventually upstage it, but as of right now, BBM is the superior messaging for BB users only.

BB has the real keyboards, generally, better battery life, better phone reception, better messaging/emails/text notifications, can be customized more, compresses data better if you want to save money on data plans, and for me is clearly the more practical and logical phone to use.

iPhone is better for media overall, better games (but even their games fall waaaay short of DS or PSP games on the whole), faster browsing, the most apps (even if almost none are useful for any phone), and is the flashier "it" product right now.

My personal preference is BB, but I apply logic and practicality to my own needs and wants to my phone. Many people just go with marketing hype though...
    Spot on! Good reply and couldn't agree more.

Honestly Apple could sell ish on a stick and because of the apple logo, they would buy it.

06-25-11 10:54 PM
94 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD