I wonder why these phone manufacturers are unable to fix the features of their devices that consumers have complained about for so many years? How long have we known as consumers that the WinMo OS has terrible lag? And every year, they come out with more WM devices that have terrible lag. The iphone hasn't had multitasking ever. Its been over three years and still, they haven't fixed it. Palm can never make a device with a functional keyboard and its newest device appears to have the worst keyboard yet of any Palm device. Finally, we have the BBs browser that has been really the only constant complaint that I have read about in these forums. Why can't the most capable smartphone manufacturer produce a great browser? Is it that they don't really want to give us what we are asking for?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-09 07:31 PM
    There is talk about a new bb browser in the future. And download bolt or opera mini.

09-09-09 07:56 PM
    There is talk about a new bb browser in the future. And download bolt or opera mini.

I personally am fine with the browser, but I read a lot of complaints about it and wonder why RIM hasn't fixed it yet?

09-09-09 07:59 PM
    RIM recently purchased or acquired torch mobile. Supposedly a webkit browser is headed to the bb per boygenius and engadget.

09-09-09 08:56 PM
    I used the iPhone 3GS for a few months and I have to say the iPhone browser BLOWS any BB browser out of the water by a looong shot. And, I'm a hard core BB fan/user. The BB browsers including Bolt and Opera have NOTHING on iPhone's browser. I don't know why/how BB does not have a much - much - better browser already available.

The iPhone browser is identical to a regular browser and loads very quick, much faster than any BB browser even on a m./mobile. site. It's the only real frustration I have about coming back to BB.
    09-09-09 09:02 PM
    It's not just BB and its browser. It seems that all of the major smartphone manufacturers have lingering issues. I can understand new bugs or defects popping up from time to time. But the same issues or lack of features over and over again? I don't get it. Is it that hard to fix these issues or do they not pay attention to consumer feedback?
    09-09-09 09:44 PM
    Why should they fix things when they have tons of people who continue to buy their products? Companies usually fix problems when they start losing customers. How many problems did Storm I have and you already have people on the boards ready to spend money on Storm II? That doesn't teach RIM or any other company anything. We vote with our money and companies figure as long as we're buying everythings okay. They fix things when we stop buying or they fear their competitors. :-)

09-09-09 11:10 PM
    Why should they fix things when they have tons of people who continue to buy their products? Companies usually fix problems when they start losing customers. How many problems did Storm I have and you already have people on the boards ready to spend money on Storm II? That doesn't teach RIM or any other company anything. We vote with our money and companies figure as long as we're buying everythings okay. They fix things when we stop buying or they fear their competitors. :-)

RIM is already fearing iPhone and Apple. Every month since iPhone launched Apple has been taking more and more (as small as each month is) shares of the smartphone market away from RIM. This is why RIM bought a recent smartphone browser company, they know they really need to better their browser.

Also, I don't agree companies only do R&D when they start losing money. Smart companies, like RIM, are proactive and think ahead of time. This is common business management and practice. I'm looking forward for RIM to move to their "next generation" of BB and OS.
    09-10-09 12:02 AM
    I think it has more to do with the fact that some of these things are just on the back burner until they become the only major problem. Sure, the hardware problems should be fixed by the manufacturers right away, but as for the software stuff, they usually leave that to 3rd party people. I think that's why RIM didn't bother to have an amazing browser. People were mostly content with what they had and they were leaving the R&D money to future hardware and leaving the software to others. Having "apps" was the best thing that ever happened to hardware because the companies that make the hardware can spend more time making hardware and less time and money making software updates.
    09-10-09 12:17 AM
    Case in point, ring AND vibe on BBs. People have been asking for this feature forever. If a multitude of third party apps can add this feature, why can't RIM just add the option into their OS?

09-10-09 12:53 AM
    Why would they put such a readily available 3rd party function in their OS? It adds size that many people don't want or need. I personally don't need or want my phone to vibe and ring, but if I did for some reason, I'd know where to get that app and can choose to waste my valuable space on that.
    09-10-09 12:59 AM
    That's what CrackMem and Shrink a OS are for... to remove unwanted apps and "useless stuff".

09-10-09 01:09 AM
    I think many of the problems RIM runs into are because of the high demand for their devices by the general public. They are a business class device who are now being asked to intigrate many convenience and media features that they are not used to. iPhone on the other hand was developed as a media device and thus lacks some of the things more busniess savy clients may want. Imagine if the corporate world had the same demand for iPhone as BB has for the general public. The roles would be reversed. My biggest request since getting a BB 2 years ago has been the desire to have Text tones that actually work. The profile/exception work around has it's drawbacks. My V551 used the custom tone for both calls and SMS so we know it's not a hard feature to program, it's just a matter of what is more important to have in the phone without overloading it with features not everyone will use.
    As for WinMo...I have never used it so had I gone to a WM device instead of BB I probably would never have noticed the lag that more experienced user would.
    Oh...and I think the browser in the Curve works fine for my needs, if you need more they have better out there.
    09-10-09 01:23 AM
    Until now, the browser on the BB was great. Times are changing and new crowds are flocking on the smartphone wagon. RIM is only now worried about the little things like the browser and multimedia because the market consumer's demands are shifting. This is why so many models of BlackBerry's are being created and released. Each phone is capable of different things. Example, the Storm is a touchscreen device with a large screen. Obviously aimed at the multimedia consumer. The Bold is able to send and receive sms and mms messages while in calls, for the business consumer. The Tour is somewhere in between for the average user. Same as the Curve series.
    09-10-09 04:36 AM
    I wonder why these phone manufacturers are unable to fix the features of their devices that consumers have complained about for so many years? How long have we known as consumers that the WinMo OS has terrible lag? And every year, they come out with more WM devices that have terrible lag. The iphone hasn't had multitasking ever. Its been over three years and still, they haven't fixed it. Palm can never make a device with a functional keyboard and its newest device appears to have the worst keyboard yet of any Palm device. Finally, we have the BBs browser that has been really the only constant complaint that I have read about in these forums. Why can't the most capable smartphone manufacturer produce a great browser? Is it that they don't really want to give us what we are asking for?

I absolutly LOVED my Palm's keyboard, but I agree that both of the new Palms look like crap!

And don't forget about threaded messaging on the Blackberries!

09-10-09 05:20 AM
    And don't forget about threaded messaging on the Blackberries!
    You can bet your last berry that it will be released with OS 5.
    09-10-09 05:23 AM

Amen.

09-10-09 07:17 PM
    You can bet your last berry that it will be released with OS 5.
    I heard that the 5.0 OS will have threaded texts.

09-10-09 07:21 PM
    I heard that the 5.0 OS will have threaded texts.

It will and I can't wait
    09-10-09 10:22 PM
    Amen brotha!

09-10-09 10:36 PM
    There is no perfect smartphone, period

Even the mighty iphone has its issues. Try typing more than 2 sentences on it and youll want to throw it against a wall. Forget any lengthy email, or even a decent paragraph before you get frustrated. also prepare to be tethered to an outlet because you have to charge it twice a day. (yes I own a 3GS too so this is personal experience).

WM is just a dying duck thats in need of more than another .1 update. Its still running the same base as WM 2003 back in the day. Maybe WM7 will change that.

BB has its own issues. Great if they get a webkit browser, it will help but its not a deal breaker per say. Sure the current one is no iphone browser but its not horrible either. Its good enough to get to a lot of sites and Bolt/Opera fill in most of the rest.

But RIM's structure is terrible in the sense of BIS vs BES- BIS is HORRIBLE. Why is gmail so poorly implemented? Why cant we have 2 way email sync. What about REAL exchange integration (folders, contacts, calendar). ALL other OS's have FULL exchange support out of the box, why are we being gouged at the same $30 data plan with less function? If RIM wants in the consumer space, they better improve their consumer features like BIS, because it makes RIM look like less than the email king. TONS of businesses and universities solely use exchange. Why not give this HUGE user group better function?
    Last edited by stuaw11; 09-11-09 at 03:09 AM.
    09-11-09 03:04 AM
    I used the iPhone 3GS for a few months and I have to say the iPhone browser BLOWS any BB browser out of the water by a looong shot. And, I'm a hard core BB fan/user. The BB browsers including Bolt and Opera have NOTHING on iPhone's browser. I don't know why/how BB does not have a much - much - better browser already available.

The iPhone browser is identical to a regular browser and loads very quick, much faster than any BB browser even on a m./mobile. site. It's the only real frustration I have about coming back to BB.
    But! It still doesn't handle Flash
    09-11-09 04:15 AM
    There'll never be a perfect phone period. We're all individuals and as such all have different wants and desires of what we want to see in a phone, manufacturers just try to make their phones include the most wanted features.

FWIW, I'm more than happy with my Bold. It does everything I need it to do and it does so quickly and efficiently.

I'd like to see BIS improved to push emails instantly. I'm not as bothered about folder support as I am about the 15 minute lag in getting an email delivered. BUT this has been discussed elsewhere. BES offers instant email, folders, calendar and address book syncing so if BIS were to offer all these features what would be the benefit of having the income generating BES?

BIS is basically a trimmed down version of BES to enable Blackberry to enter the consumer market. BES generates RIM a lot of revenue, making all the features available to BIS customers would either force the price of BIS up or just seem RIM lose the income generated from BES so I don't see that happening.

I'd like to see BIS incorporate instant push of all inbox mail whether POP3 or IMAP. I'm happy enough filing my email in Outlook so I'm not worried about folders and I don't really need instant calendar or contact sync but I would like to see BIS upgraded to handle email delivery quicker. Other than that I have no gripe with my BB or the service.

09-11-09 04:15 AM

The thing is, are these things complained about from most people.

WinMO is laggy - but it is still acceptable for a large number of folks.

Most iphone users I know couldn't care less about multi-tasking.

Palm's keyboards are subjective......as are browsers for everyphone

just sayin'.....
    09-11-09 05:23 AM
    Case in point, ring AND vibe on BBs. People have been asking for this feature forever. If a multitude of third party apps can add this feature, why can't RIM just add the option into their OS?

How many people have been asking as compared to the population of actual users?
    09-11-09 05:25 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD