I purchased Browsie Browser app and afterwards discovered I could not download media files from a link (such as .mp3) to my device or microSD card. I contacted the developer who told me it did not have a download manager so all I can do is stream these files. I was shocked as I assumed most if not all the browser apps had a download manager!

The developer for this app told me BB does not provide an API for a download manager, none of the BB cascade browsers have a download manager.

I called AT&T who spoke with BB technical support who confirmed that they have not written an API that will allow any browser app to download files to the phone.

I find this unacceptable as I may not have purchased my BB Classic if I had known this.

Why doesn't BB provide an API for this browser app feature?
    JAS0NB0URNE likes this.
    07-22-15 05:37 AM
    I purchased Browsie Browser app and afterwards discovered I could not download media files from a link (such as .mp3) to my device or microSD card. I contacted the developer who told me it did not have a download manager so all I can do is stream these files. I was shocked as I assumed most if not all the browser apps had a download manager!

The developer for this app told me BB does not provide an API for a download manager, none of the BB cascade browsers have a download manager.

I called AT&T who spoke with BB technical support who confirmed that they have not written an API that will allow any browser app to download files to the phone.

I find this unacceptable as I may not have purchased my BB Classic if I had known this.

Why doesn't BB provide an API for this browser app feature?
    Try downloading from BlackBerry 10 browser?...

Posted via CB10
    LostOnThePianoRoll likes this.
    07-22-15 05:41 AM
    I can but the point is I wanted to migrate completely from the BB 10 native browser that came with the phone to another browser. Now I have to use the new browser for all my browsing needs except for downloading files from a link on the webpage and go to the BB 10 browser to do that. Can't anybody answer my question on why BB would not provide an API to the developers so they could develop a complete product instead of one that is absent an important feature? It would be like Microsoft not allowing other browser developers to offer a browser that works in a Windows environment and offers the same functionality as IE.
    07-22-15 08:00 PM
    I download the full Taylor Swift Album from the BB10 Browser. One song at a time, then ran it through the media player on PC, for full album art and titles. Works for me. It'll work for you.

Just choose which works best for you.
    Attachment 363741
    Last edited by Craigash; 07-22-15 at 10:18 PM.
    07-22-15 09:00 PM
    I can but the point is I wanted to migrate completely from the BB 10 native browser that came with the phone to another browser. Now I have to use the new browser for all my browsing needs except for downloading files from a link on the webpage and go to the BB 10 browser to do that. Can't anybody answer my question on why BB would not provide an API to the developers so they could develop a complete product instead of one that is absent an important feature? It would be like Microsoft not allowing other browser developers to offer a browser that works in a Windows environment and offers the same functionality as IE.
    I think only BlackBerry would be able to answer that. Maybe another 3rd party browser, not the one you have, would be able to do what you want.

Posted with my  Classic
    07-22-15 09:12 PM
    BB already answered it-when I called AT&T they called BB who said they did not provide the API to any app developer so NO 3rd party browser app will ever be able to write a download manager for their app to download these files. So BB has deliberately, for some reason, not provided the API so 3rd party app developers can provide a fully functional browser app. My question is why did BB do this-the app developer I contacted said he never could get a straight answer from BB. So can anyone answer that question?
    07-22-15 10:53 PM
    Taylor swift? Really?

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    07-22-15 11:04 PM
    BB already answered it-when I called AT&T they called BB who said they did not provide the API to any app developer so NO 3rd party browser app will ever be able to write a download manager for their app to download these files. So BB has deliberately, for some reason, not provided the API so 3rd party app developers can provide a fully functional browser app. My question is why did BB do this-the app developer I contacted said he never could get a straight answer from BB. So can anyone answer that question?
    Likely not

Posted with my  Classic
    07-22-15 11:19 PM