I m talking about innovation not demand. demand will be there if product get success.
    I am really starting to think that anyone that comes out with something truly innovative faces a huge uphill battle unless, of course, Apple is the company that comes out with it. Anything (smartphone wise) that is a radical new way of doing things faces enormous opposition, and has the deck stacked against it, again unless its Apple. Even if the innovation is revolutionary in its design and concept, you will still run into the "is there an app for that" type of mentality. Apple, in creating the App ecosystem, has made it extremely difficult for anyone entering the Smartphone space to succeed.

My $0.02 cents...
    04-23-14 02:17 PM
    Guys the OP isn't saying he wanted the 3D Phone. He's saying why isn't BlackBerry able to do something innovative or different? Amazon is doing much more than enabling some 3D effects, they are trying to CHANGE the way you interact with a smartphone.

Just being a follower and producing "good enough" devices and selling them as premium devices, doesn't seem to be working out to well for BlackBerry. Maybe a 40 MP camera is a gimmick (still is a great camera), maybe a finger print reader is a gimmick and maybe a 3D phone is a gimmick, maybe device orientation navigation is a gimmick, maybe being able to take a picture of a sign and having the text translated is a gimmick.. But it sure seems like BlackBerry needs some kind of gimmick to get people talking about them and buying products.
    This. All these things might be "gimmicks" and not super-practical in their current iterations, but they create mindshare. People talk about them, debate their usefulness, etc. Either way, it draws attention to the company and its products. And equally as important, it creates distance between themselves and competitors. So, while competitors write off the 1.0, 2.0, etc. versions of these "gimmicks," what happens when a gimmick actually becomes useful in a later release? Now the minimum viability requirement for that feature is a lot higher, putting others further behind in trying to replicate it.

Because I don't see a semi-cheap device like the Z3 fitting anywhere, and while the Classic will attract some hardcore people (same ones that already own multiple BB10 devices), I don't think a toolbelt and trackpad are the gimmicks that are going to suddenly cause BB10 sales to soar.
    This is a common problem with significant platform switches. The company spends the first few releases just trying to achieve feature parity with its older, but more mature platform.

Although it wasn't a platform migration, Google was able to iterate through Android quickly enough to more or less catch up with (some would say surpass) iOS while the market was still relatively immature. So, people were patient and accepted Android in each state because it was the only real viable alternative to iOS. But market expectations have changed since then and minimum viability standards are a lot higher. So even though people on CB often point out how quickly BBRY is making updates, these updates are really only bringing the platform up to snuff--not introducing compelling new features that will stand out, generate interest, and provide a sales advantage over alternatives.

This is why a platform migration of this sort needs to be seriously weighed against alternatives, such as leveraging a 3rd party platform. It might not be ideal, but by the time you're able to build a viable competitor, the window of opportunity might be long gone.
    04-23-14 02:34 PM
    Innovation costs money, if there is no demand for your innovations then you will have lost millions if not billions. In order to be successful requires innovation and demand.
    So you spend million or billion creating that DEMAND...

There was no real demand for the iPhone, there was no demand for SIRI, there was no demand for a fingerprint reader.

Or you make sure your "innovations" are in demand by copying another product, but making it better or cheaper for the end user - or both.
    04-23-14 03:38 PM
    I just wanted to post that I really don't want a 3D display on my Blackberry...
    04-23-14 04:44 PM
    They probably can make it but is it in their best interests or will it be gimmicky.
    04-23-14 06:15 PM
    I totally agree. Amazon is NOT A TECH COMPANY. They just sell some stuff online. They DO NOT host half the web traffic in the US. They DO NOT produce consumer electronics even.
    How could they come up with this when the NUMBER 1 TECH company in Canada could not? I am sooo confused.
    You broke my sarcasm detector. Now I have order another one from Amazon.

But yeah the Amazon phone sounds innovative and blackberry hasn't exactly wowed us since bb10 was first launched.
    I think they have made too many cuts and are concentrating on polishing bb10 instead of innovating.
    While I see the need for what they are doing, it is the exact same thing that led to the previous os running into trouble.
    When bb10 launched it was fresh. Since then it has become a bit stale. Nothing new added apart from Android updates really.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    04-23-14 06:33 PM
    They probably can make it but is it in their best interests or will it be gimmicky.
    Like time shift.
    Your gimmicks are another person's need.
    Blackberry need to sell phones. It won't do that with BlackBerry 10 alone. Gimmicks are needed. Bb10 does nothing that other platforms can't do. Why would someone choose bb10 when they can get the same performance plus added gimmicks that actually is useful to them from a competitor?

Blackberry has failed to understand the smartphone market and it's failing. They are trying to retreat back to enterprise forgetting that the reason they went consumer in the first place is because the markets have merged.
    They will get some success with the Jakarta because businesses will want cheap devices. But Nokia is challenging blackberry in that area and doing a better job about it.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    04-23-14 06:39 PM
    I m talking about innovation not demand. demand will be there if product get success.
    "Demand will be there if a product get success"? How does a product become successful without demand? Sounds like you're putting the cart before the horse....
    04-23-14 07:36 PM
    Guys the OP isn't saying he wanted the 3D Phone. He's saying why isn't BlackBerry able to do something innovative or different? Amazon is doing much more than enabling some 3D effects, they are trying to CHANGE the way you interact with a smartphone.

Just being a follower and producing "good enough" devices and selling them as premium devices, doesn't seem to be working out to well for BlackBerry. Maybe a 40 MP camera is a gimmick (still is a great camera), maybe a finger print reader is a gimmick and maybe a 3D phone is a gimmick, maybe device orientation navigation is a gimmick, maybe being able to take a picture of a sign and having the text translated is a gimmick.. But it sure seems like BlackBerry needs some kind of gimmick to get people talking about them and buying products.

Because I don't see a semi-cheap device like the Z3 fitting anywhere, and while the Classic will attract some hardcore people (same ones that already own multiple BB10 devices), I don't think a toolbelt and trackpad are the gimmicks that are going to suddenly cause BB10 sales to soar.
    Put another way, bb10 current version or better, even as late as the 2013 launch, WITH TOP 50 APPS AVAILABLE, worldwide delivery, AND fingerprint reader, 40 mp camera alone, would have meant solid #3, and ms crying in their soup.

Now its far too late.
    04-23-14 11:24 PM
    I am not fan of 3D, just curious how easy to invent this days. why BB can't bring innovative on table?
    They have but according to some. Its too difficult a learning curve!

Posted via CB10
    04-23-14 11:29 PM
60 123