Having a higher spec than what is required just drains battery.
    04-22-14 07:50 PM
    Because, particularly from a hardware spec perspective, BB has generally been a follower as opposed to a leader.
    04-22-14 09:39 PM
    I can see 3D tech making for some cool looking games, but I am not sure how it would really increase productivity. (That being said, we all know what BlackBerry lost ignoring the "non-productive" trends.

Personally, I would like to see a durable, flexible phone, z10 sized phone with great battery life.
    stlabrat likes this.
    04-22-14 09:59 PM
    I'm no math wiz but if I'm reading it right, the chart says Blackberry spent $246M on R&D last quarter. They sold 3.4M devices so that's about $72.35 per device. It looks like they have a lot more R&D expense cutting to do if they are going to try to break even on selling 15 million smartphones per year.

For comparison purposes, Apple spent $1.33B and sold 81M mobile devices or $17.27 per mobile device not counting any PCs they sold.

As the saying goes, "Well, there's your problem!" Blackberry isn't selling enough devices to afford to spend anything on R&D.
    Check cent article. The spending is based on revenue. Not per handsets. When someone just invented new gadget, the spending is way over revenue, you need to take a look at overall product life cycle. "Apple's R&D up 32 percent in 2013, still dwarfed by rivals
    The company is spending more than ever on research and development, but it's still a small amount compared with most of its competitors."

Posted via CB10
    04-22-14 10:15 PM
    Amazon is preparing for 3D phone, if non tech company can make 3D phone with gestures why BB can't ???

Amazon Smartphone Specs, Details on Software Revealed — Exclusive | BGR
    I have another question for you. Why didn't Google, HTC, Sony, Sharp, Samsung, Apple or Motorola make this phone?
    Last edited by Taede; 04-24-14 at 04:04 AM.
    stlabrat and kbz1960 like this.
    04-23-14 02:12 AM
    Apparently according to BlackBerry R&D all we need is a Classic.
    04-23-14 03:57 AM
    Amazon is preparing for 3D phone, if non tech company can make 3D phone with gestures why BB can't ???

Amazon Smartphone Specs, Details on Software Revealed � Exclusive | BGR
    Why? Reason #1: cause Blackberry isnt allowed to use the name "amazon" for their phones... Reason #2: cause Blackberry builds working tools- not toys. Reason #3: cause the ugly device which was shown in the pics make the hole BB-stuff spewing... Reason #4: cause Blackberry invests its capital and manpower to optimize the best OS, not to build the best minority-report-display... Reason #5: cause BlackBerry loves people which comparing BB-devices (already on market) with the rumoured specs of future devices... Reason #6 cause Blackberry will skip this prankish development to privilege something important. Reason #7: cause a lot of BlackBerry-creatures-of-habit force BlackBerry to look backwards and to produce a "classic" device with buttons and rotary switch...
    Last edited by serversurfer; 04-23-14 at 07:39 AM.
    04-23-14 05:51 AM
    Guys the OP isn't saying he wanted the 3D Phone. He's saying why isn't BlackBerry able to do something innovative or different? Amazon is doing much more than enabling some 3D effects, they are trying to CHANGE the way you interact with a smartphone.

Just being a follower and producing "good enough" devices and selling them as premium devices, doesn't seem to be working out to well for BlackBerry. Maybe a 40 MP camera is a gimmick (still is a great camera), maybe a finger print reader is a gimmick and maybe a 3D phone is a gimmick, maybe device orientation navigation is a gimmick, maybe being able to take a picture of a sign and having the text translated is a gimmick.. But it sure seems like BlackBerry needs some kind of gimmick to get people talking about them and buying products.

Because I don't see a semi-cheap device like the Z3 fitting anywhere, and while the Classic will attract some hardcore people (same ones that already own multiple BB10 devices), I don't think a toolbelt and trackpad are the gimmicks that are going to suddenly cause BB10 sales to soar.
    04-23-14 07:30 AM
    BlackBerry is capable of making any kind of phone but the company cannot make every little spec that is suggested on any forum. No company can keep up with fans that want this and want that because it's the latest and greatest must have on a gadget.
    kbz1960 and stlabrat like this.
    04-23-14 07:32 AM
    Besides they aren't for consumers, right?
    04-23-14 07:39 AM
    http://www.androidcentral.com/oneplus-one-specs

Price and spec game changer and a small company

Steve/Boanerges Performance
    04-23-14 07:45 AM
    OnePlus One specs | Android Central

Agree that unless this thing has some major issue... it going to kill some of the small Android Players and Hurt most everyone else. I really want someone to explain HOW they can sell a device with these specs for $299 / $349. We aren't talking premium, but super premium. After reading a little more it seems this isn't really all that premium of a device in the Android World. Just average spec for those guys.....

I'd give them $1 and smash my Z10......
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 04-23-14 at 08:11 AM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-23-14 07:59 AM
    OnePlus One specs | Android Central

haha that phone looks interesting but the write-up is horrible.
    04-23-14 08:09 AM
    If I can't trust Facebook for it's data harvesting business, I certainly would not trust a phone that is made and own by China. Call me cynical, nothing is totally free in this world. I love a bargain just like the next guy, I will give this phone away even if it's free.
    04-23-14 08:16 AM
    If I can't trust Facebook for it's data harvesting business, I certainly would not trust a phone that is made and own by China. Call me cynical, nothing is totally free in this world. I love a bargain just like the next guy, I will give this phone away even if it's free.
    I bet 90% of the phone you are using was made in China. In the future most BlackBerry's are going to be made and assembled in China. The Router in your home and office were made in China. The equipment in you Carrier's network tower was made in China. The equipment in the local internet provide your Carrier uses was made in China. The equipment that BlackBerry uses in the NOC was most likely made in China. The dozens of switches and hubs that your data flows through were all made in China. And the recording equipment that the NSA uses is most likely from China too.

But yeah if you want to worry about a company that is owned by China.....
    kbz1960, Drew808, Raddin and 1 others like this.
    04-23-14 08:35 AM
    Qualicom801 2.5 and 3 gb ram,64gb internal storage, on a �290 phone ain't exactly everyday specs. Add in cyanogenmod and a bit more attention to security(privacy guard) and the potential is there.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    04-23-14 08:50 AM
    I personally find the Amazon phone rather gimmicky. I guess Blackberry could use more product differentiation; but, I'm not sure this specific differentiation is right for Blackberry's audience... or any audience.

Also, Blackberry simply doesn't have the money to design radical hardware features. Recall the Z3, a perfectly ordinary phone, is being designed by Foxconn. If Blackberry doesn't even have it left in it to design the Z3 then it certainly isn't in a position to design the Amazon phone.
    richardat likes this.
    04-23-14 08:59 AM
    Not sure how popular 3D is in the USA, but in the UK it isn't very popular at all. Apart from SKY and a few cinemas, everyone axed 3D development / filming. Clearly it was a novelty aimed at morons who would buy anything because it's the latest technology. For blackberry to make a phone like this would be a disaster. I personally love blackberry and blackberry 10 is the best mobile OS going, I hate android even though it can be heavily customised and I won't even get started on apple, but considering blackberry 10 didn't go according to plan, for them to even consider something like this would probably make the company completely disappear. If they ended up in the hands of apple (who would probably buy them for their patents) I would have to go back to using a phone similar to zak morris in saved by the bell!
    04-23-14 09:21 AM
    Qualicom801 2.5 and 3 gb ram,64gb internal storage, on a �290 phone ain't exactly everyday specs. Add in cyanogenmod and a bit more attention to security(privacy guard) and the potential is there.

No the price is the key factor here. But on some of the other forums they have pointed out that there are other Premium devices that have much more that the OnePlus One doesn't have.... But at what we have come to expect a premium devices to cost $600 - $700 US.

Now for us BlackBerry users... the OnePlus One does seem to be a MONSTER. Of course many will say it's overkill or it will have terrible battery life or why do we need all those cores, or it's too big, or.... the simple truth is if it had BB10 (with Android Apps) and a BlackBerry sticker on it, most would then be thrilled.

But the whole direct purchase model is going to make it much less of a factor, as people just aren't aware of this option. Then again if it makes a really big splash, if the price is low enough, and if more carriers start offering plans that don't included fees to cover subsiding devices... who knows. This could help BlackBerry and their apparent plans to be a direct seller.
    Raddin likes this.
    04-23-14 09:22 AM
    I am not fan of 3D, just curious how easy to invent this days. why BB can't bring innovative on table?
    If it's already been done several times without success then how is it innovation?
    04-23-14 09:34 AM

Amazon Smartphone Specs, Details on Software Revealed � Exclusive | BGR
    Because it's overly complicated, gimicky and not productive?
    04-23-14 09:42 AM
    No the price is the key factor here. But on some of the other forums they have pointed out that there are other Premium devices that have much more that the OnePlus One doesn't have.... But at what we have come to expect a premium devices to cost $600 - $700 US.

Now for us BlackBerry users... the OnePlus One does seem to be a MONSTER. Of course many will say it's overkill or it will have terrible battery life or why do we need all those cores, or it's too big, or.... the simple truth is if it had BB10 (with Android Apps) and a BlackBerry sticker on it, most would then be thrilled.

But the whole direct purchase model is going to make it much less of a factor, as people just aren't aware of this option. Then again if it makes a really big splash, if the price is low

enough, and if more carriers start offering plans that don't included fees to cover subsiding devices... who knows. This could help BlackBerry and their apparent plans to be a direct seller.
    Operating systems aside ,the sheer spec of this phone shows what can be done. It absolutely destroys the Z30 in potential capability now and to a measure future proofing. BB10 does not need massive power to work extremely well but what the spec of this phone would allow BB10 to be down the line is amazing to think about. The major point is the price. If these guys can do it why would you think of paying 200-400 more. The 16gb version is coming in at �250 quid. That's getting dangerously close to the Z3 market.

04-23-14 09:46 AM
    I m talking about innovation not demand. demand will be there if product get success.
    Innovation costs money, if there is no demand for your innovations then you will have lost millions if not billions. In order to be successful requires innovation and demand.
    04-23-14 09:47 AM
    Innovation costs money, if there is no demand for your innovations then you will have lost millions if not billions. In order to be successful requires innovation and demand.
    The OP was watching " field of dreams". Influence by Kevin.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-14 10:29 AM
    if non tech company can make 3D phone with gestures why BB can't ???
    [url=http://bgr.com/2014/04/22/amazon-smartpho]
    One never knows what they are or aren't working on until it comes out or leaks.

It's not really fair to refer to Amazon as a non-tech company ... Kindle, Kindle Fire, Fire TV, the Amazon store, the Kindle apps, Amazon cloud are all "tech products"
    04-23-14 01:32 PM
60 123