It always amuses me that the iPhone being first, by more than a year, to market with a 64bit chip set is referred to as a "marketing gimmick."
    It's not. It's an absolute certainty that mobile 64 bit architectures are coming. Being the first to get there is exactly what should be expected of the market leader.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    What amuses me is the same people calling 64bit a marketing gimmick are often accusing apple of not innovating.
    03-31-15 01:45 PM
    I wouldn't call a one billion dollar settlement petty. It seems quite large to me.
    Yeah, probably not. But I was more referring to the constant barrage of suits brought by Apple any time Samsung so much as sneezed a snot-ball vaguely shaped like an apple. The huge chunk of money awarded is not petty by any means (I don't know that it can be called a settlement quite yet since I don't recall Samsung actually paying it while they've been whittling away at the amount awarded with appeals), but I'd say that what led to it was (opinions may vary).
    03-31-15 02:22 PM
    For the same reason Microsoft doesn't make a WP8.1 flagship. To get discount on components you have to order a lot of them. And so you ahve to make a lot of phones with those components and distribute them all over the world.

Sure, we at CB would buy this high-end BB10 phone, but most people wouldn't. And since high-end phones cost a lot to make, the danger of not selling is very big and the loses would be huge for BB.
    THIS

Everyone read this and then just leave the thread. Money doesn't grow on trees people, and BlackBerry doesn't have the money

Why aren't you on a Passport? 
    05-02-15 10:48 AM
    What is this BlackBerry/Samsung collaboration? Anyone have a link?

05-02-15 10:51 AM
    Because I prefer a physical keyboard. I bought a Samsung Infuse when it was released. The specs and screen were pretty good.

But I hated the virtual keyboard almost from day one. So I happily came back to BlackBerry when the Q10 was released.

Like the Saturn car, it was new and innovative. GM changed the look over time but not really what was under the hood. Now the Saturn is no more.
    Then buy a Passport... specs are similar, physical keyboard. In fact wait a few months for the Passport 2, probably be a spec monster.

05-02-15 11:22 AM
    What is this BlackBerry/Samsung collaboration? Anyone have a link?
    Samsung is working to make ALL of the major EMM software work better with their phones, including BES, MobileIron, AirWatch, Citrix, IBM, etc. BB spun this to make seem like a bigger deal than it is, much as they did with the secure Samsung/IBM/SecuSmart tablet.

Folks here make it seem like Samsung has partnered with BB in some big way, and "will soon be making hardware for BB" (a violation of the OHA as long as BB10 contains Android code) or even "will soon be rolling out BB10 on Samsung phones because Samsung is sick of Google/Android" even though Samsung couldn't sell phones without the Google ecosystem either - witness the sales of their WinPhones.

Big companies often work together in minor ways, just as Apple buys components from Samsung (SoCs & displays) and Sony (cameras), despite being rivals in the smartphone market. It doesn't mean Samsung will be building iPhones or Sony Z4s.
    sentimentGX4 and JeepBB like this.
    05-02-15 04:46 PM
    For the same reason Microsoft doesn't make a WP8.1 flagship. To get discount on components you have to order a lot of them. And so you ahve to make a lot of phones with those components and distribute them all over the world.
    I'm confident Microsoft is not constrained my monetary issues. Also, the Lumia 920 was one of the top selling Windows Phone models for a time.

So why didn't Microsoft make another high end Windows Phone for so long? The Nokia acquisition really messed up Windows Phone's hardware schedule as Nokia effectively ceased development of new models. McLaren/Surface Phone was botched. Then there was the impending launch of Windows 10.

Actually, even Microsoft's low end portfolio had been falling behind. Lumia 520 was sold a lot longer than it should have given its outdated processor vs the Moto G. The Lumias 530/630 came quite late and despite matching the Moto G (2015) in processor still fell behind in terms of features such as screen size and camera.

It's surprising that Windows Phone had been able to grow/stabilize despite the uninspiring hardware.
    05-02-15 05:30 PM
    I'm confident Microsoft is not constrained my monetary issues. Also, the Lumia 920 was one of the top selling Windows Phone models for a time.

So why didn't Microsoft make another high end Windows Phone for so long? The Nokia acquisition really messed up Windows Phone's hardware schedule as Nokia effectively ceased development of new models. McLaren/Surface Phone was botched. Then there was the impending launch of Windows 10.

Actually, even Microsoft's low end portfolio had been falling behind. Lumia 520 was sold a lot longer than it should have given its outdated processor vs the Moto G. The Lumias 530/630 came quite late and despite matching the Moto G (2015) in processor still fell behind in terms of features such as screen size and camera.

It's surprising that Windows Phone had been able to grow/stabilize despite the uninspiring hardware.
    WP was helped by the nokia brand. While not as good as it once was, Nokia is still a strong name in Europe. It didn't get WP any major popularity but it did secure them the 3rd ecosystem spot.
    05-02-15 05:35 PM
    WP is not growing, it is shrinking.

Q1 2013 - 2.9%
    Q2 2013 - 3.2%
    Q3 2013 - 3.5%
    Q4 2013 - 2.9%

Q1 2014 - 2.5%
    Q2 2014 - 2.6%
    Q3 2014 - 2.8%
    Q4 2014 - 2.9%

Q1 2015 - 2.3%

Microsoft has hardly any high end devices now which can explain why they are selling less. In all, Microsoft is not selling more phones they are still worse than two years ago.
    05-03-15 04:43 AM
    WP is not growing, it is shrinking.

Q1 2013 - 2.9%
    Q2 2013 - 3.2%
    Q3 2013 - 3.5%
    Q4 2013 - 2.9%

Q1 2014 - 2.5%
    Q2 2014 - 2.6%
    Q3 2014 - 2.8%
    Q4 2014 - 2.9%

Q1 2015 - 2.3%

Microsoft has hardly any high end devices now which can explain why they are selling less. In all, Microsoft is not selling more phones they are still worse than two years ago.
    Do you have the source for this?

About a month ago, I read ago that year-to-year WP did sell more devices (2013 to 2014), but had a slight slump in market share due to the market growing faster. Compare that to BB10 that lost both market-share and sold way less devices, I say WP is quite healty.

http://www.windowscentral.com/micros...fiscal-quarter
    Last edited by Soulstream; 05-03-15 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Adding source link.
    dolco likes this.
    05-03-15 12:12 PM
    Z30 and Passport are devices I never suffered with lack of performance. Label on the chips have no sense to me. I'm way more interested in extra storage (SD) and universal plugs (USB). And of course, at the end of the day, user experience.

That spec war is marketing and I'd be curious to learn with real metrics what portion of 'power' mister John Doe use IRL scenario.
    I get the point (I for one could be tempted by a V6 400hp engine in my car, but there's torque and noise you don't have with mobiles) and agree this could be a good selling point, provided it doesn't kill other advantages like pricing and battery life, for example.

I feel sorry to repeat it again and again but *as of date* this marketing approach has no echo in the enterprises, besides for some C level employees (where both passport and classic fit for a way larger proportion than the actual BlackBerry global market share: you can even stick to underestimated 20%, that's still +/- 20 times more).

IF BlackBerry is back to profit at the end of FY16, then the story will be another one and they will probably consider it differently. I believe the Slider is one milestone in that perspective.

BlackBerry is still under some kind of breath assistance after a massive 3 years surgery. During the recovery, any excessive effort can lead to dramatic and permanent damages. And we, loyalists, fans don't want that; we want them back at a reasonable pace, not a Vascular-cerebral accident. Their recovery field is enterprises. When muscles will be back...

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 01:30 PM
    Do you have the source for this?

About a month ago, I read ago that year-to-year WP did sell more devices (2013 to 2014), but had a slight slump in market share due to the market growing faster. Compare that to BB10 that lost both market-share and sold way less devices, I say WP is quite healty.

Microsoft sold 8.6 million Lumia phones in its Q3 2015 fiscal quarter | Windows Central
    These figures are from Tomi Ahonens blog Communities Dominate Brands.

Communities Dominate Brands: Quick Posts 2 - Microsoft Results Show Worsening Misery at Lumia Unit - Market Share All-Time Record Low: Now only 2.3%
    05-03-15 03:31 PM
    Thanks, for the link. the one you provided and the one I provided tell the exact same thing. Compared to last quarter they sold less phones, but compared to Q1 last year they sold more. And they still sell more phones in 1 quarter than BB in a year. So while WP may not be doing extremely good, it is doing way way better than BB10.
    05-03-15 03:37 PM
    Thanks, for the link. the one you provided and the one I provided tell the exact same thing. Compared to last quarter they sold less phones, but compared to Q1 last year they sold more. And they still sell more phones in 1 quarter than BB in a year. So while WP may not be doing extremely good, it is doing way way better than BB10.
    Sure, Windows Phone do better than BB10, no debate about that. The difference is the amount of resources Blackberry and Microsoft throw at marketing and availability. Microsoft invest huge amount of money on marketing and dealership deals. When I go to the retail store, Windows Phone is everywhere and very easy to get. Despite you almost get Windows Phone as enema, I must say that Windows Phone do badly and does not gain any significant market share despite the efforts.

For Blackberry it is the opposite, you can't find them anywhere and I had to order my Passport from some foreign company that sent it to me from Shenzen.

Imagine if Blackberry could do the same and force BB10 upon the customers and I'm sure BB10 would have gain much better market share than Windows Phone. Unfortunately, Blackberry doesn't seem to understand this part.

I just wonder how long Microsoft will throw money at this mobile adventure. As Communities Dominate Brands say, it is nowhere profitable.
    05-03-15 03:53 PM
    Blackberry does understand but doesn't have any money to do anything even remotely close to Microsoft. Blackberry spending any money on similar marketing would be pissing into a fire. Pointless and dangerous to company's survival.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-03-15 04:31 PM
    It's clear that BlackBerry is working on the software side of the business. And not BB10, but rather BES and whatever else they're cooking up.

At some point BlackBerry will either need to throw in the towel on devices or build a device employees want to use.

If BlackBerry can learn one thing from their previous failures, it's that employees don't want to carry two devices.
    05-04-15 12:19 AM
    Why? Because BlackBerry doesn't want another Playbook-sized writeoff, that's why. Once the 100 people on CB buy the new $700 Z50 or whatever it would be called, the rest would sit in a warehouse until the inevitable $100 fire sale.

That's why.

If the phone does everything you want to do at the speed you want to do it, then specs are irrelevant. I can tell you how much RAM and storage my Classic has, but I have no clue how many cores or what GHz the CPU is. Because it absolutely doesn't matter one bit to me.

However, I can run off the specs of my Windows rig at home, because I know I need a certain amount of cpu/gpu/ram to play games at a reasonable clip.

Posted from my non-camera BlackBerry Classic
    05-04-15 09:37 AM
92 ... 234