I'd like to share a story that happened to me. We recently had a cold snap go through Alberta, Canada. I was standing outside discussing this with a friend when his phone rang. He recently got himself an iphone 5, and he made the comment of how good it looks as he answered it. Something I thought was inconvenient was the fact that he had to pull his gloves off to answer his phone. The screen would not allow his gloved hands to activate the screen. Now, as he was talking to whoever was on the phone, he did the old shoulder ear squish to hold his phone as he put his gloves back on. We all know how reliable that hold can be, and sure enough I watched as his brand new, unprotected iphone slipped from its hold and crashed into the ground. I cringed as it happened but it faired well with only a small dent and scratches. Still, an unnecessary accident. He finished his call and cursed at his own stupidity. We ended our conversation and went our separate ways. I got into my cold car and my wife called me. Without taking my gloves off I answered my torch 9800. She then asked me for a phone number. I was able to: put my phone on speaker, go to the home screen,open contacts, find the contact,open the contact, all without taking off my gloves. I was even able to hang up the phone after my call. It was one of those "good thing I had a blackberry" moments, but then it hit me, there is no track pad or physical buttons on the bb10 devices. I couldn't believe how inconvenient not having them could be. It's cold in Canada 6 months of the year, 8 if your in winterpeg. Now I know they make gloves that let you use a touch screen but none of them are warm enough. I will now have to be one of the "others" and stand in the cold with my one ungloved hand, cause there is no way I'm not getting a bb10 device. I read the blog about why the track pad would not work with the new os, but I really hope they tried to make it work and not just say it's not needed. I'm sad to see the buttons go. Hopefully there will be a way to work around this. Until it's figured out, frozen, ungloved, high five to everyone who's getting a BB 10. (maybe carriers will give us gloves instead of a holster) Thanks for reading
    10-29-12 11:09 AM
    I agree with you and I'm Canadian, however Canada is a small fish in a giant pond.

The population of Canada is about the same as the population of just the state of California!
    10-29-12 11:13 AM
    That's true, but how much of Europe is under snow during the winter season.
    10-29-12 11:22 AM
    I the TrackPad and BB Key and Convenience Key!! And really really really really like the back button, and really really like the other keys.

P.S. NOT GLOVE RELATED - Texan in Louisiana - chilly a lot, cold a little.
    10-29-12 11:27 AM
    Maybe they can do clever things with voice recognition.... But it would have to really clever and a bit big brother like, to work while on a call... But that would be neat for you to be having a conversation and as the phone listens it brings up relevent information, eg if some asks how do i get to, whats the number.
    10-29-12 11:36 AM
    The gloves that let you use your device when it's cold out. (Ones that work with the touchscreen - They have gotten better/warmer btw, and others that let you flip the fingers up and away so you can use it if you really have to)

BT and some type of assistant app will alert you to incoming e-mail/call/sms information. (At -30 I am not digging around for my phone outside in the middle of the sidewalk anyways, and whatever I need to do can wait until I am someplace warm and/or out of the cold)
    10-29-12 11:48 AM
    10-29-12 11:49 AM
    Along with the gloves, there's also the option for a stylus.
    10-29-12 12:10 PM
    Along with the gloves, there's also the option for a stylus.
    I'm sorry but Apple have the patent on that Apple Patents iPhone Stylus Gloves | iPhone Alley - iPhone news, app reviews, and accessories
    10-29-12 12:16 PM
    Yeah, I'm sorry, but this is really a very limited use-case, and there's other ways around it (including BT headsets).

I'd like to see the trackpad retained too, but this isn't that much of a reason. And I live north of the 60th parallel. It gets cold here in ways most of the rest of the planet can't even imagine.
    jakie55 likes this.
    10-29-12 12:21 PM
    i got a pair of those gloves that work on touch screens. i wear them under my big gloves when i'm snowboarding. need to be able to yank the phone out and take pics or video. the track pad was great for that when i was rocking my 9700 but the touchscreen works just as well with those gloves on.
    10-29-12 12:44 PM
    I agree about the convenience of the track pad, but as many or most BB users we are used to the option of using the pad or touch screen.
    I guess we’ll have to wait until the X10 is being leaked more , I have a feeling the frets on the keyboard might be more than just cosmetic IMHO.
    01-18-13 02:56 PM
    it was to my knowledge that you can get gloves that are made with special finger tips that allow you to text and keep yur hands warm: problems solve
    01-18-13 03:13 PM
    There is also voice control which we just saw in the video demonstration today.
    ghfred likes this.
    01-18-13 03:29 PM
    I don't care about the cold, but when BB10 comes out, the very first feature I'm going to look at in the stores is how they managed text manipulation without the trackpad. If they crippled my ability to go back 13 characters and insert a correction, the rest of the features aren't going to awe me much.
    flyingsolid and harshalbid271 like this.
    01-19-13 07:12 AM
    My experience with the -30 temperature outside with my 9900...

I was dressed appropriately, up on a 28 foot extension ladder. After finishing my work on the side of the house, I pulled my 9900 to take a picture of my work. The phone was so cold, that the battery level displayed it as empty (0% with my theme), everything moved slowly, touch screen was unresponsive (with or without gloves), the OS, and app that I was using was very glitchy...BUT I was still able to take a photo of my work and do what I needed to with the trackpad and buttons.

I don't know how I could still be productive without my 9900 (still wish I got a 9810). It does everything I want it to do. I wish RIM comes out with a Blackberry 10 phone with full touch and with the same (Call, BB, trackpad, back, and end call) buttons.
    01-22-13 05:20 PM
    I wonder if you can launch V1KI with a physical key on the Z10?
    01-22-13 05:58 PM
    I wonder if you can launch V1KI with a physical key on the Z10?
    What physical keys...other than the volume rocker, mute or lock button?
    01-22-13 05:59 PM
    What physical keys...other than the volume rocker, mute or lock button?
    In the video demo of voice command he pressed the 'voice command' button on the side to start voice command mode, I assume one button is assignable like existing blackberrys.
    Masahiro likes this.
    01-22-13 06:16 PM
    In the video demo of voice command he pressed the 'voice command' button on the side to start voice command mode, I assume one button is assignable like existing blackberrys.
    Which is the traditional middle pause button for anyone wondering
    Masahiro likes this.
    01-22-13 06:22 PM
    Well there you go. If Viki works like Vlingo (but much faster), then I'm good.
    01-22-13 06:25 PM
    Interesting. So what happens when you have some music playing? Well, I guess we'll see in a week anyways. :P
    01-22-13 06:42 PM
    Interesting. So what happens when you have some music playing? Well, I guess we'll see in a week anyways. :P
    I believe its a longer hold to access voice control, like the home button on apple. A short press would still pause your music and not access voice control. If you wanted to use voice control while a song is playing a long press would automatically pause the music and prompt for a voice command
    Masahiro likes this.
    01-22-13 06:45 PM
    I'd like to share a story that happened to me. We recently had a cold snap go through Alberta, Canada. I was standing outside discussing this with a friend when his phone rang. He recently got himself an iphone 5, and he made the comment of how good it looks as he answered it. Something I thought was inconvenient was the fact that he had to pull his gloves off to answer his phone. The screen would not allow his gloved hands to activate the screen. Now, as he was talking to whoever was on the phone, he did the old shoulder ear squish to hold his phone as he put his gloves back on. We all know how reliable that hold can be, and sure enough I watched as his brand new, unprotected iphone slipped from its hold and crashed into the ground. I cringed as it happened but it faired well with only a small dent and scratches. Still, an unnecessary accident. He finished his call and cursed at his own stupidity. We ended our conversation and went our separate ways. I got into my cold car and my wife called me. Without taking my gloves off I answered my torch 9800. She then asked me for a phone number. I was able to: put my phone on speaker, go to the home screen,open contacts, find the contact,open the contact, all without taking off my gloves. I was even able to hang up the phone after my call. It was one of those "good thing I had a blackberry" moments, but then it hit me, there is no track pad or physical buttons on the bb10 devices. I couldn't believe how inconvenient not having them could be. It's cold in Canada 6 months of the year, 8 if your in winterpeg. Now I know they make gloves that let you use a touch screen but none of them are warm enough. I will now have to be one of the "others" and stand in the cold with my one ungloved hand, cause there is no way I'm not getting a bb10 device. I read the blog about why the track pad would not work with the new os, but I really hope they tried to make it work and not just say it's not needed. I'm sad to see the buttons go. Hopefully there will be a way to work around this. Until it's figured out, frozen, ungloved, high five to everyone who's getting a BB 10. (maybe carriers will give us gloves instead of a holster) Thanks for reading
    I own gloves that are reactive to touchscreens.

Problem solved.
    01-22-13 06:51 PM
    These work well and offer some warmth. They were 25% off a couple weeks ago at sport chek.
    Attached Thumbnails Why Canadians need the track pad.-img_00000077.jpg  
    01-22-13 06:54 PM
28 12