I am in no way against Blackberry. I love Blackberry. I am buying a new phone but I just do not see the advantage of buying a Blackberry now. None of the phones seem to stack up against other high end phones. I like Blackberry a lot and am looking to get the Torch. I just do not see a reason to buy it over the Samsung Captivate or Focus. I know this is a BBerry forum so I am wondering why you guys chose a BBerry over the other phones.
    I don't like touchscreen phones, the Blackberry OS seems rock solid,it always does what I want it to do. The phone is durable, I've known people with highend touchscreens that have cracked after being dropped 1 time.
    To me it's like choosing a Toyota Corolla that may not have every conceivable option but it always works and lasts forever over a fully loaded Jaguar that's always in the shop with wiring problems etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-10 08:38 PM
    If you. Have big fingers like I do,virtual keyboard is a no-go for me.and it makes me feel like a businessman lol.

Was this typed from a BB? If so, it looks like BBs physical keyboard is no good for you as well lol.
    12-17-10 08:51 PM
    I'm buying another blackberry because I like them, it works for me and I'm kind of selfish that way. I'm also really stuck up and I value my own opinion of the product higher then that of a random person on the internet of course when something else comes along, no matter who makes it, if it fits my needs better then I'll go with that. We'll see but for now I'm sticking with the berry mostly for the compact size and the battery power. Buy what works for you! Period.

12-18-10 12:51 AM
    Having tried Android and WP7, I still come back to my BB 9700. There is something about it that I cannot afford to lose such as keyboard and push email. The battery life is super awesome compared to other devices. While it may not be as fast as others, it gets the job done.

12-18-10 01:53 AM
    The spec sheet never tells the whole story. My personal reasons for staying with Blackberry:
    1 - The platform is solid and well-integrated. The OS may be getting long in the tooth, but unlike Android, it's extremely stable.
    2 - The UI, while maybe not the latest and slickest, is proven and efficient.
    3 - The hardware is not the fastest, but nor is it old. The CPU in the Torch is 'only' 624 mhz, but the chip itself is a new architecture that's faster and more efficient than the one it replaces, and it works. I don't want to hear that you HAVE to have a 1-ghz processor to stay in the game, because I've heard complaints of those high-end Androids having lag issues, too.
    4 - I do understand the desire by some users for a huge selection of apps. I don't happen to share that desire.
    5 - I've witnessed first-hand bad experiences with iPhone software upgrades. Never had such a problem with BB.
    6 - If you think OS versioning and maintenance is inconsistent among BB carriers, it's far worse with Android devices.

Overall my BB just does the stuff I need it to do, and it does it very well right out of the box with a minimum of fussing. Not always the case with Android and iPhones. I researched both and messed with both before upgrading. For form-factor, reliability, durability, and overall usability, I stayed with BB.

These are MY opinions. Of course yours may vary. I don't care, that does not change mine.
    This, ten fold...

12-18-10 08:47 AM
    This thread is turning into a disaster already..
    12-18-10 09:11 AM
    Was this typed from a BB? If so, it looks like BBs physical keyboard is no good for you as well lol.
    I type just fine on my curve 3g.don't quit your day job,you are not funny at all.

12-18-10 10:08 AM
    From my honest experience (having used an iPod touch for years, then upgrading to the Torch) I have found these improvements:
    1. I couldn't type on the iPod's virtual keyboard. With either the SureType virtual or the physical keyboard, I could type!
    2. on my iPod I'd paid for 6 apps, I only used one of them regularly. On my Torch I've paid for 13 apps, and consistently use 8 of them. On my iPod I had around 100 total apps, but only used 5-6 (including email, facebook, twitter, etc.). On my Torch I have 40ish apps, and use around 25 regularly.
    3. Themes!!!
    4. Can set a link to a website on your homepage.
    5. There were too many apps, I honestly couldn't find anything in the Apple app store...
    6. Instead of checking my email, facebook, twitter, and app updates every so often, I just get a flashing LED when I have a new notification, and I can see facebook and twitter and RSS feeds in the same app
    7. BBM!!! And having text messages show in there so that I don't have to have an extra app on my home screen
    8. app integration.
    9. the ability to get podcasts even if they aren't on iTunes/download apps even if they aren't in that devices app store
    10. Documents to go
    11. convenience keys
    12. To pause the music on my iPod while the screen was off, I eventually found out I could double-tap the home button and tap on the pause button, but before that I had to press the wake button, slide the bar, type in my password, tap on the "iPod" application, wait for it to load, then press pause. On my Blackberry I just press the "mute" button, which pauses the music (it doesn't mute in that context). Not knowing how to do that I would press any button, type in my password, then press the menu key and scroll to the top and click, then press pause.
    13. I can multitask!!! If I want to check my email without losing my progress in my game, I can do that!!!
    14. though not in speed, in ability the web browser on the Torch is far superior to the iPod's browser
    15. The Torch isn't made by apple (I forget the exact number but it costs Apple ~$6.50 to make an iPhone 4... That includes worker wages... They're also getting %70 profit margins even when you include R&D...)

On the other hand, I still the iPod's media player is better, but not better enough to go up against these reasons
    12-18-10 10:20 AM
    I would personally like the LG Quantam to try out Windows 7. Though I'm pretty sure I'll end up back at BB when I could upgrade my phone.

The reason for that is the same reason I don't have a wife and don't keep gfs longer than a year. I just like to try new things, even if I'm happy with what I've got.
    12-18-10 10:41 AM
    I'm sick and tired of iphone and android fan boys telling me that I've got the wrong phone. I didn't buy a bb becouse I couldn't afford an iphone, or because I'm to stupid to realise what a dud it is, or because I'm not allowed to have one. I'm not 'stuck with this phone'. I got it becouse I WANTED A BB ffs. It's a grown ups phone. I could have any phone I want, but I wanted a BB. I currently have a Torch. It's the best of both worlds, touch screen and classic bb with a touch pad. How cool is that, on it's own!. The browsing is great and is a treat to use. I don't want to play games on it and I hate Apple's total control over content. It suits me and I love it.
    So get off telling me that 'your's is bigger and better'. Who cares.
    12-18-10 11:17 AM
    I personally love the slick look of my 9700, I think it's the most aesthetically pleasing phone on the market in terms of hardware and OS interface (OS6).

BB really just fits my needs, BBM, push email, and the amazing QWERTY keyboard.
    12-18-10 11:18 AM
    I would personally like the LG Quantam to try out Windows 7. Though I'm pretty sure I'll end up back at BB when I could upgrade my phone.

The reason for that is the same reason I don't have a wife and don't keep gfs longer than a year. I just like to try new things, even if I'm happy with what I've got.
    how hot do iphone and android phones get compared to bb's?

12-18-10 11:22 AM
    I am getting a refresh lesson of why BlackBerry rules now. My cable ISP is down, no Wifi means fallback to EDGE with one bar coverage half the time. The other half is looking for a signal.

What works best in degraded signal situations? Voice failed calls, Email fine, BBM fine, Browser may take a couple tries but I am betting this gets posted.

That is critical for first responders when everything else has degraded to useless.

12-18-10 11:59 AM
    5 - I've witnessed first-hand bad experiences with iPhone software upgrades. Never had such a problem with BB.
    6 - If you think OS versioning and maintenance is inconsistent among BB carriers, it's far worse with Android devices.

Overall my BB just does the stuff I need it to do, and it does it very well right out of the box with a minimum of fussing. Not always the case with Android and iPhones. I researched both and messed with both before upgrading. For form-factor, reliability, durability, and overall usability, I stayed with BB.

These are MY opinions. Of course yours may vary. I don't care, that does not change mine.
    Seriously. Have you ever read the device help forums on CB?

12-18-10 12:45 PM
    lets all play nice. We all know that Andriod is a tinker toy & nothing wrong with that if you love to tinker, I do love to tinker & modify so Android may be right up my alley, I have played with a few & both seemed very unstable. When they come out with something stable (Gingerbread maybe) I will probably jump ship at least for a 30 day trial
    12-18-10 08:05 PM
    anyone calling them unstable must have have a 1.6 device or something. My bb crashed 10x more than my android and boots in about 10x faster too. 2.1+ are completely stable for android
    NotJustAPhone likes this.
    12-18-10 08:17 PM
    I'm sick and tired of iphone and android fan boys telling me that I've got the wrong phone.
    You got the wrong phone.
    12-18-10 08:37 PM
    You got the wrong phone.
    lol this is neat.

12-18-10 09:46 PM
    An android or windows (mobile/winCE 6.8) phone 7 as a spare, or a generic PDA with wifi, would be great to save on data charges, as you'll be using just wifi on it.

12-18-10 09:48 PM
    if you want to experience that very special feeling of buyer's remorse that you can only get when you can't resist and buy something that you know isn't "quite right"...then by the BB....you will succeed.
    I've wasted a lot of money lately trying to get that buyer's remorse feeling. How long do I have to wait for it to kick in?
    12-18-10 10:54 PM
    one thing that kills me when reading these forums is when people compare speeds, ive used nokias, bb's, iphones, palms, windows phones, lg, samsung, moto, all of them, and heaven knows if i have to wait that extra quarter of a second for that page to open im actually gonna kill myself.

And screen size... some dont mind the smaller screen, like me and my 9700, but others NEED, that huge screen. but i forgot, most people are 80 y.o, and can only see it if the screen is that big.

and i could go on for days.

not to put other phones down but, most of the "Needs" that people put when it comes to these phones and the comparisons, really arent needs at all, just preference.

been with Blackberry for a few years, have talked MANY people into getting them, and so far, all but one has agreed, and stayed.
    ill be here for a while.
    12-18-10 10:59 PM
    This had me laughing! Well done.
    Me too.
    Imagining the insecurity of the needy fellow that had to get that off his chest.
    12-18-10 11:08 PM
    I've wasted a lot of money lately trying to get that buyer's remorse feeling. How long do I have to wait for it to kick in?
    not much longer,just close your eyes.lol

12-19-10 12:28 AM
    LED Notification, especially because I have Who Is It? App (free btw) let's me know from the room who is calling/texting
    I love the keyboard (even torch isn't bad at all)
    battery life
    My browser is fine and it can post pics on craigslit inmedia player, as my girls (and my old) 3GS could. This also running iOS 4.2.1
    Camera is great for megapixels... Iver seen some 5mp look better than some 8mp so it can slightly mislead.
    Opera Mini is fast as can be on mine.
    Form factor.
    The games like megaman 3, final fantasy, etc are classics that don't wear off like droid or iphone apps will (speaking from jailbroken 3GS experience)
    Customization

I could go on but remember one thing... The QNX processors once on phones will be absolutely stunning. I'm guessing Storm 3 and next Bold and maybe the next Torch to have them. Just check the comparison of the Playbook versus Ipad... Mindblowing.

Last edited by Evan_O; 12-19-10 at 01:04 AM.
    12-19-10 12:55 AM
    Comparing the pb to the ip is silly why,because the ifad is older than the pb.compare it to the ifad 2 when it comes out.apples to apples not apples to rotten tomatoes.

12-19-10 09:08 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD