Let me go through my bluetooth usage routine first here, I do a lot of traveling with my job and this is a detrimental feature which I just can't seem to use properly on my Z10 (works fine with iOS and Android and WP8:

1. Turn on bluetooth ( a redundancy from my switch from android as it did this automatically when I needed it to be on)

2. Start navigation

On all competing OS's that's it, I'm sync'd up and ready to go, I can navigate, play music (music volume lowers when navigation audio kicks in, can adjust navigation volume separately than media volume to make the two volumes equal to each other so that navigation audio does not blow you away when the music lowers) calls come in, music and navigation resume.

On BB10 this is nowhere near the case, when bluetooth connects on BB10, the music app comes up and starts playing by itself, even if there is no music on the device (I use google music anyway). This creates an extra step, not a huge deal, but I have to close the app every time I get in my car now, I shouldn't even have to touch the device by the time I'm driving, but I do. I start music and navigation, navigation volume cannot be adjusted and is always fantastically louder than the music volume, there is no happy in between here, if I have the music at a volume where the navigation isn't crazy loud, the music is barely audible. Slightly more annoying now. I get a phone call, works fine, comes across clear, phone call ends, music player pops back up and starts trying to play music. This removes navigation from the screen, so now I'm driving and have to physically interact with the device to resume any functions at all as the screen will time out if it's in the music application. At this point, the feature is completely worthless. The point of bluetooth is hands free operation, this is anything but the case with BB10. I'm constantly having to handle the device while driving, which is illegal in CA where I live, let alone incredibly dangerous. BlackBerry's response to this is that this is a "feature" well it may be, but it's also a non-changeable one. No other OS does this, and some have the option to and let you pick what application if any you'd like to autostart / resume with bluetooth connectivity detected.

Considering the lauding of BlackBerry's entire platform is a professional device, this seems amateurish. BlackBerry should be leading the herd here, they are, however, far behind. There is a new "default app" feature in 10.2 which I thought could maybe address this, it does not, in fact that feature seems to also be totally worthless as it only lets you assign this to apps that seem to need to be coded for this, unlike android which prompts you which app you'd like to set as default when there is more than one that calls for a system function api.

So it's 6 months later since I purchased my Z10, if BlackBerry goes under there are things I'd miss a lot. I'd miss the keyboard, all of my messages in one spot, system wide gestures, etc. I could only hope that if they get broken up someone takes these and uses them. My point is that I like the platform a lot, but after 6 months I'm still carrying around another device. I have an Android phone with me at all times now because I need to use navigation and have bluetooth functions, and with BB10 I cannot pull both off. The "infinite" email option is a great addition, but it wasn't enough to let me use BB10 by itself. For a "professional" device, it's a real let down that it doesn't allow me personally to only have one device, which, upon reflection, was really the main problem with the previous BBOS platform, people started carrying around Android and iOS devices in addition to their BlackBerry's and eventually realized that pretty much everything they were doing could be done on one of those devices.

There seems to be some work on some added car functionality in the 10.2 leaks, some people get prompts about their car model, I have a Toyota, I've not seen any prompts for added car functions, and I also suspect that the real issue, the music app popping up not only upon connection but also after every single call you make remains steadfast in debilitation. If I tried to use only the Z10 for my drive, I would probably have to interact with the device roughly 30-40 times per day, just closing the music application. This needs to be fixed. Anyone else having these issues?
    10-16-13 02:22 PM
    Not sure what you are talking about. I don't have any music app open on connection.

If I'm listening to music the navigation comes in at about the same level as the music, the music lowers it's volume while the navigation is talking.

I do share your hatred of the phone app. Why on earth it feels the need to maximize at the end of a call is beyond me.

Posted via CB10 on Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.575
    10-16-13 02:31 PM
    Sorry to hear about this mess Katie. I don't use blueooth in my car. I use it with my bose soundlink and it works ok about 90% of the time
    10-16-13 02:31 PM
    Not sure what you are talking about. I don't have any music app open on connection.

If I'm listening to music the navigation comes in at about the same level as the music, the music lowers it's volume while the navigation is talking.

I do share your hatred of the phone app. Why on earth it feels the need to maximize at the end of a call is beyond me.

I see now it's not just me http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...onnect-791831/
    10-16-13 02:38 PM
    I use phone(s) Bluetooth interfaced with my car (VW).. This works very well. I do not touch the phone at all, as a matter of fact it never leaves my pocket.. The symptom you just described used to also happen to me with my phone(s) S4 and Z10 until I discovered an option on the car Bluetooth menu which automatically connects to the phone media player even if there are no music files... I deselected this option and all is well.. Incidentally the Z10 interface works a whole lot better than the S4..
    katiepea likes this.
    10-16-13 02:52 PM
    I use phone(s) Bluetooth interfaced with my car (VW).. This works very well. I do not touch the phone at all, as a matter of fact it never leaves my pocket.. The symptom you just described used to also happen to me with my phone(s) S4 and Z10 until I discovered an option on the car Bluetooth menu which automatically connects to the phone media player even if there are no music files... I deselected this option and all is well.. Incidentally the Z10 interface works a whole lot better than the S4..
    Thanks I'll give it another look, already went through the cars menus, as it doesn't happen on my other devices, I'm left wondering why only the Z10.
    10-16-13 02:58 PM
    Bluetooth on my Q10 works flawlessly for me, and it pairs up with my desktop, Jeep, and Plantronics headset. If anything it seems to have better range than my 9650.
    10-16-13 07:31 PM
    My phone and car (kia) pair automatically, and I just have to hit aux on the car to play any other audio from the phone on the car (for some apps, it would be nice to have specific options so I can pick and choose which play when paired).

However, while there are definitely bugs and quirky/frustrating inefficiencies to the phone UI (screen maximizes after a call, can't end call by closing the app, can't end a 2nd call without hanging up on the first, etc.), my number one complaint is the address book interface. I had no issues with my 9930, but voice recognition to "call by name" just doesn't work. I think there is a mapping issue in how the data is transferred to the car's address book... now on 10.2 the car display shows smith john smith, but it didn't work when it displayed correctly either.

Bbry, please fix this

Edit: btw, just got the jbl bluetooth speaker on Amazon and that works perfectly.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 07:58 PM
    Interesting...I have never had that problem. did the fix work for you?

10-17-13 07:44 AM
    Don't forget that in networking it takes two to tango.
    When I pair with my Toyota Venza (2011) I get two choices. Either Bluetooth audio (everything) or just the phone. Maybe your car won't give the other choice?
    Also, the car has a BT stack, you should ask your dealer if there's an upgrade for the BT stack in your car.
    10-17-13 03:09 PM
    My Bluetooth works perfect. Connects to my car as soon as the car is started, music works great, switches to telephone then right back to music once call is ended, connects to my Playbook as soon as I enter my home. Worked same on 10.1 continues to work on 10.2.
    Hope you can find a resolution.
    10-18-13 12:09 PM
    Don't forget that in networking it takes two to tango.
    When I pair with my Toyota Venza (2011) I get two choices. Either Bluetooth audio (everything) or just the phone. Maybe your car won't give the other choice?
    Also, the car has a BT stack, you should ask your dealer if there's an upgrade for the BT stack in your car.
    The other platforms work though
    10-18-13 12:13 PM
    Agree with OP that there are a few niggles with the bluetooth services on BB10 (such as music app opening automatically/playing and the phone app maximising at the end of a call) but it's not the worst out there.

I do remember a situation not so long ago where my mate had bought a top range Pioneer head unit which his beloved iPhone 5 would not connect to at all via Bluetooth and had to use a unsightly cable workaround. To my (and his) surprise however my Z10 connected to the system first time of asking and streamed media/assumed control perfectly despite it technically (according to pioneer) being incompatible.

So it's not all bad :P

� Posted via CB10 on my awesome Z10 �
    10-18-13 02:58 PM
    Can't say I've experienced this at all, and my house (and life in general) is littered with Bluetooth devices.

Pairing is a BIT of a pain, since I seem to have to hit refresh a few times on the phone before it sees the device it's trying to pair with, but once pairing has finally taken place it's been bulletproof.
    10-18-13 03:07 PM
    Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't have this problem lol my Z10 pairs perfectly with the Sync in my Ford F150, no music app opens upon connection either. The volumes are all adjustable and it remembers the "last" volume for a certain feature.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 05:14 PM
    Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't have this problem lol my Z10 pairs perfectly with the Sync in my Ford F150, no music app opens upon connection either. The volumes are all adjustable and it remembers the "last" volume for a certain feature.

Posted via CB10
    I've paired my BB10 with a couple of rental Fords. Piece of cake. Especially like that unlike my own Kia, Ford Sync controls music streaming. Seriously considering a Mustang as my next car

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    10-18-13 09:24 PM
    I can't seem to get it to work with my Jeep. They can't find each other.

Just looked it up, I guess my Uconnect does not work with BB10. Hopefully they update it.
    Last edited by Breezygirl8; 10-18-13 at 09:46 PM.
    10-18-13 09:28 PM
    I HAAAAAAAATE how the music app always starts playing on its own!!!

That is a flaw -- pure and simple. They need to destroy that behavior. It's not just my car, but any blue tooth audio recieve (such as Bose bluetooth speakers).

I solved the issue of my Z10 thinking my car was trying to install software when I plugged into USB (and bringing up a Window over my nav app every minute) by setting my USB Connection mode to 'Connect to Mac' (Settings > Storage and Access)

I support BB10, NOT BB Management!
    h20work likes this.
    10-19-13 07:29 AM
    Never seen this before. Bluetooth works just fine with my VW's stock Bluetooth and even still gives me Bridge to the PlayBook at the same time. Are you sure it's a BB10 issue? It sounds more like a Z10 issue to me.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 03:04 PM
    The Q10 is rubbish when using a bluetooth headset. Much better on OS6/7.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 08:51 AM
    For what it's worth, the Bluetooth has gotten much better in later OS. I am not sure when it happened, but for example the BBM video and voice calls now have the audio come through the stereo and the steering wheel controls work to answer and hang up the BBM calls.

If you are on one of the latest 10.2 OS versions and still have problems, try updating the software in your car. It may not be easy or possible to update the Bluetooth of the car system and you may have to just live with the problems.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 09:40 AM
    If it's a stock stereo, your dealer should be able to do any updates. You can also check the manufacturer's website to see what Bluetooth functions your car is capable of as well as what devices will work with it.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 05:07 PM
    I don't experience this at all with calls. However when I hit the media button on my hyundai sonata, implying I DO want to hear music, it automatically loads the music app and starts playing. So I think with my car and bb10 is what the intended design is.

Sounds like the fail of BlackBerry is not allowing customization so that the quirks of every car can't be accounted for.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 05:43 PM
    I can't seem to get it to work with my Jeep. They can't find each other.

Just looked it up, I guess my Uconnect does not work with BB10. Hopefully they update it.
    Works with my 2011 Challenger.
    10-21-13 06:37 AM
    My Z10 works beautifully with my BMW 325i. Auto playing where it last left off, auto switching to incoming calls and switched back after the calls finish.

I noticed there's a voice command since 10.2 but I don't know how to use it.

Pic attached.
    Why is bluetooth functionality in BB10 so terrible?-facebook-20131021-191155.png

Posted from Z10 via CB10
    bombastic likes this.
    10-21-13 07:13 AM
32 12