The 2012 trade was to long Apple and short RIMM. This trade has not gone away in 2013 and some of the funds got seriously burnt when Apple fell although they made a killing on shorting RIMM. You still have many traders on the short side of RIMM trying to make a killing (about 30% of the float are in shorts). The typical short seller like Carson Block or Pershing Square is to write negative reports on a target after they have put on a large short position or as a broker, lent shares to funds shorting the entity. They then follow that up with a slew of negative publicity and sometimes completely erroneous reporting. Many of these negative press guys may not necessarily be iPhone or Android followers trying to bash the competition but also traders trying to make a quick buck publishing through the media.
    Acumenight and BergerKing like this.
    02-01-13 02:19 AM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    of course .. these analysts have hidden financial agendas!! ... don't believe what is being said in the media .. judge bb z10 for yourself! try it! see it! .. manipulation of the stock is significant! ..... manipulated by big players with financial motives.. shorting ... rarely has anything to do with the real merits of the product .... media is rampant with hidden agendas at play! ...
    02-01-13 02:25 AM
    What...is...wrong... with.. your ...keyboard?
    02-01-13 02:28 AM
    It's a very sad reality we live in.
    It's also sad that for people like us who know this, are called crazy conspiracy theorist when we broach this topic...
    vbittersweet likes this.
    02-01-13 02:29 AM
    Quick, look behind you!

Yes, it is a vast media and financial conspiracy against BlackBerry.. That's why North American sales dropped. Nothing to do with the products.
    Drew808, schmeat, trsbbs and 3 others like this.
    02-01-13 04:27 AM
    yeah well of course RIM had a problem, but that does not mean that it is OK for Wall Street to totally destroy RIM.
    the nicest thing i can say about Wall Street: Wall Street looks out for Wall Street.............
    02-01-13 06:54 AM
    I wonder if anyone knows why CNET will no longer be doing the CES awards... the conspiracy is real. S#!t happens too, but let's not be naive.
    02-01-13 07:06 AM
    Quick, look behind you!

Yes, it is a vast media and financial conspiracy against BlackBerry.. That's why North American sales dropped. Nothing to do with the products.
    You are so clueless to reality. So sad
    brout and Acumenight like this.
    02-01-13 07:06 AM
    I see this as Market players manipulating the market to enhance gains. This is nothing new.
    I'm a contractor, not a "market player" but I'm a realist, as well. I don't believe in a conspiracy theory, I believe it's players playing.
    I bought shares @ $14.89. When these "players" make shares drop to.....maybe $12ish.....I'll buy more.
    kbz1960 and Acumenight like this.
    02-01-13 07:57 AM
    RIM/BB is a weak company that by ALL accounts has one shot at turning around their downward spiral. This makes for an easy target for Market Players... that is a fact, and it happens to any company that allows it's self to fall so far.

But if you look at the poorly executed launch presentation, if you look at the mid-grade device hardware, if you look at the pricing for the devices, if you look at still incomplete OS, if you look at the promised (and un-promised) but still missing apps, and you look a the so-so reviews that have come out (even from Kevin) and if you look at the fact that BBOS and BB10 are two different platforms that required separate software and even servers for Business to monitor (and no more BESX). Would you recommend to your customers that they invest in BlackBerry right now??

Doesn't mean their is a conspiracy to keep a Canadian Company down, just that they have not done a very good job so far. But in two months RIM/BB could have the loose ends with the OS cleared up, they might restructure their pricing, all the major Apps may be available, and RIM/BB could do a another launch for the US and things "could" turn around. But that mean the RIM/BB has to get things RIGHT!
    Rooster99 likes this.
    02-01-13 08:30 AM
    RIM/BB is a weak company that by ALL accounts has one shot at turning around their downward spiral. This makes for an easy target for Market Players... that is a fact, and it happens to any company that allows it's self to fall so far.

But if you look at the poorly executed launch presentation, if you look at the mid-grade device hardware, if you look at the pricing for the devices, if you look at still incomplete OS, if you look at the promised (and un-promised) but still missing apps, and you look a the so-so reviews that have come out (even from Kevin) and if you look at the fact that BBOS and BB10 are two different platforms that required separate software and even servers for Business to monitor (and no more BESX). Would you recommend to your customers that they invest in BlackBerry right now??

Doesn't mean their is a conspiracy to keep a Canadian Company down, just that they have not do a very good job so far. It also doesn't mean that in two months RIM/BB could have the loose ends with the OS cleared up, they might restructure they pricing and all the major Apps may be available and RIM/BB could do a another launch for the US and things "could" turn around. But that mean the RIM/BB has to get things RIGHT!
    with all that is wrong with RIM, RIM has no debt, RIM has paid for a new OS still no debt, in fact RIM has a cash hoard for the introduction,
    can we hear what RIM has, yeah they have one chance, but who does not have one chance to do the right thing today?
    there is so much unwarranted negativity out there..........
    hpjrt, ricocan, brout and 2 others like this.
    02-01-13 08:37 AM
    with all that is wrong with RIM, RIM has no debt, RIM has paid for a new OS still no debt, in fact RIM has a cash hoard for the introduction,
    can we hear what RIM has, yeah they have one chance, but who does not have one chance to do the right thing today?
    there is so much unwarranted negativity out there..........
    You beat me to this. Again, I'm not a "market savvy player" but this is a no brainer, IMHO......
    No debt, a ton of assets. The phones will catch on....it's TAT, QNX, etc.....that makes BBRY a blue chip IMHO
    hpjrt likes this.
    02-01-13 08:56 AM
    You beat me to this. Again, I'm not a "market savvy player" but this is a no brainer, IMHO......
    No debt, a ton of assets. The phones will catch on....it's TAT, QNX, etc.....that makes BBRY a blue chip IMHO
    the phones are a low risk product if you ask me, the smart phones have been pioneered by Apple and Android, and all RIM is
    doing is giving it their twist, for their customers...
    02-01-13 08:59 AM
    I wonder if anyone knows why CNET will no longer be doing the CES awards... the conspiracy is real. S#!t happens too, but let's not be naive.
    What conspiracy? As soon as CBS ordered CNET to retract their award to Dish Hopper, CNET made that info public partly as a protest against CBS clamping down on editorial independence. And all of this is on CBS because they are currently in litigation against Dish Network and the lawyers thought that a CBS subsidiary awarding the DishHopper 'Best of Show' would weaken their case.

the CEA removed CNET as the awarding body for top CES products because they didn't want another embarrassment like that again.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    02-01-13 09:16 AM
    No debt. $2.9bn in cash. How much are they going to spend on the launch? $1bn? 1.5bn? nothing? There is no conspiracy; markets sense weaknesses and RIMBerry was and is weak.
    Until there are firm sales (NOT SHIPMENT) numbers on BB10 devices and where it is selling, and what the impact of no more BIS service fees are, the fundamentals will still be in question.
    02-01-13 09:39 AM
    Yes, it is a vast media and financial conspiracy against BlackBerry
    Replace "conspiracy" with maneuvers and "BlackBerry" with any stock and you have nothing but the daily financial routine.
    I don't know about the usual suspects named here ... but some are clearly playing "that kind of game", just because ... it's the rule.
    02-01-13 09:42 AM
    No debt. $2.9bn in cash. How much are they going to spend on the launch? $1bn? 1.5bn? nothing? There is no conspiracy; markets sense weaknesses and RIMBerry was and is weak.
    Until there are firm sales (NOT SHIPMENT) numbers on BB10 devices and where it is selling, and what the impact of no more BIS service fees are, the fundamentals will still be in question.
    $1 billion. It's budgeted and announced.
    BlackBerry have not set minimal shipments agreements with carriers (at least from what I know in Europe), so that shipments will be a very significant metric.
    02-01-13 09:44 AM
    So the vast, global conspiracy encompasses all markets and all stocks.
    Good to know.

Tin foil hat time guys. Perhaps you can call for an investigation.

WAIT - RIMMMM Is up .22 now! No more conspiracy! Good wins. Evil loses.

What a laugh.
    02-01-13 09:44 AM
    $1 billion. It's budgeted and announced.
    I know that - I was making a point. And they will take that money out of where?
    02-01-13 09:45 AM

Doesn't mean their is a conspiracy to keep a Canadian Company down, just that they have not done a very good job so far. But in two months RIM/BB could have the loose ends with the OS cleared up, they might restructure their pricing, all the major Apps may be available, and RIM/BB could do a another launch for the US and things "could" turn around. But that mean the RIM/BB has to get things RIGHT!
    Like i said in another post, when Blackberry over sell the iphone in all markets except US , then they will say Blackberry was a flop.
    Does anyone no the percentage of blackberry sold in all markets and what percentage was sold in US?
    02-01-13 09:46 AM
    the phones are a low risk product if you ask me, the smart phones have been pioneered by Apple and Android, and all RIM is
    doing is giving it their twist, for their customers...
    And who started the smartphone industry?
    Acumenight likes this.
    02-01-13 09:47 AM
    I know that - I was making a point. And they will take that money out of where?
    Their $2.9 billion cash ? (while it might be more interesting to finance it with a loaning, but that's another point).
    02-01-13 09:49 AM
    So the vast, global conspiracy encompasses all markets and all stocks.
    Good to know.

Tin foil hat time guys. Perhaps you can call for an investigation.

WAIT - RIMMMM Is up .22 now! No more conspiracy! Good wins. Evil loses.

What a laugh.
    You call it conspiracy, it's not. It's financial marketing ... do some research, if you wish.
    hint : Targeting the weak is the norm.

Edit : I mean : while we are in the smog area (no figures, no measurement) only opinions drive the stock. If you can lead opinion to your bet: you win. That's what big investors do, each day.
    02-01-13 09:50 AM
    Consumers don't buy products for the components, tecchies do. The consumer market decides what it wants. TAT and QNX is something we know in here, but to the soccer mom or to the grandma who wants to see grandkids' pics or to the golfer who wants to find the best course, the important thing is the final product. The phones will catch on if the experience and the ecosystem gives them something they want.
    When was the last time you bought a steak at a restaurant because the cattle were fed on pasture as opposed to processed alfalfa?
    02-01-13 09:55 AM
    They also use analytics and stock fundamentals.
    And they DO NOT fall in love with companies. Hint hint.
    Rooster99 likes this.
    02-01-13 09:55 AM
54 123