05-30-09 12:29 AM
53 123
tools
    Won't matter to me I will be the old fart the youth make fun of for using an ancient BB relic!! And I will just mumble something at them and beat them with my cane while posting on crackberry about it!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-09 02:52 PM
    First off, I'm a BB user and abuser. My BOLD is in my hand for at least 16 hours a day and I sleep with it by my side. Accordingly, the following is coming from a Blackberry LOVER .

Nevertheless, as the title suggests, Blackberry is rapidly losing ground and will be extinct by 2040 (or sometime thereabouts). And this picture encapsulates the exact reasons why this will happen.

The FUTURE of American Professionals are becoming LOYAL Apple/iPhone consumers. It seems that GENERALLY (of course this is not true for EVERY person) the older crowd of Blackberry devotees are content with calling the iPhone a "toy", and shunning the 17 year old iPhone users for wanting "shiny", "fun" phones.

Check out this thread to see the POLAR views of younger cell phone users vs. the older crowd.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/why...32/index3.html

Here's one small exerpt:

Lets look at the logic:
    1.) Apple's "toy" appeals to college kids
    2.) Many of these same individuals are turned OFF from Blackberry because of their lack of apps etc.
    3.) If Apple continues to roll out "business" solutions with their iPhone THEN...

It stands to reason that WHEN these individuals become bosses and are in leadership roles, they will use the iPhone for their businesses, NOT BLACKBERRY!

So, in the future, when the iPhone/Apple lovers become bosses and run their companies, you can say bye bye to Blackberry as the business default phone.

Blackberry BETTER FOCUS ON THE YOUNG/COLLEGE GENERATION NOW or it will be too late.

Maybe people don't realize this, but the "toy" called the iPhone has a lot of stuff that is very appealing. Blackberry needs to jump in FAST to and appeal to that crowd.

Oh and just for clarity purposes...the Storm was a step in the right direction but needs some serious refining.

*The foregoing was my biased opinion, if you don't agree, I'm right and your wrong *

Whether colleges do this or not will not make a company go extinct. The truth is people want options. I hate to say it when these same people get into the work force they will have the phones that there company allows and or provides..

simple as that.
    05-29-09 03:10 PM
    This thread is as pointless as saying butter is gonna take over margarine in the spread wars... Move on, nothing to see here.

05-29-09 03:16 PM
    oh.. i love these threads.. i love to hate the iphone but still admit its pretty cool with its apps and sleek UI. BB will catch up one day....

of course everyone could just run gtalk on their phones then free messenging for everyone..
    05-29-09 03:59 PM
    Hmm dont know what your talking about more kids in my school have Blackberry's than iPhones and loving their berries and im loving mine! im sure ill have a Blackberry for my whole entire life haha unless some new revolutionary thing comes out that i cant live without lol
    05-29-09 04:18 PM
    I really don't get the OP's premise. Lets use some more random numbers to elaborate.

For every one widget company starter that the op noted.. at least another 1000 will go into an already established business world. A business world that the BB already has a very strong base in.

I'd wager way more startup business's are built after gaining work experience than straight out of college.. so lets say 10 of the 1000 that went into existing business openings eventually build their own brand new business versus the 1 that did it straight out of college (per 1000). Or say just 5... the numbers are all made up but the point is.. there will always be more people coming from the business world launching new business ventures than straight out of college. Thus his example of inevitiability fails.

The whole premise is flawed.

regardless of the above nonsense.. IMO there is plenty of market for both Apple and BB.

ps. I love the Jaws pic!
    05-29-09 04:20 PM
    And then came the Franchise Wars, now all restaurants are Taco Bell.....

Predicting the future is like herding cats. Apple is so trendy they treat you with disdain if you purchased your device yesterday. This is part if the reason so many older folks buy something else, they get smart and realize it's expensive to be 'Cool'.

People like what works. If the iPhone is such a terrific thing, why does a 2 year old device whip its backside in a downward economy? And how many of these folks do we have that followed the trend, only to return to the fold?

With devices in the works that are reaching toward the terabyte range, do you really wanna predict the future just yet?

Me, I'll make the adjustments as they come. When I hold in my hand a device half-again as powerful as a top line device 25 years ago, and that we have leaps of technology in 1-2 year spurts, your answer my friend, is blowing in the wind.

05-29-09 04:25 PM
    And then came the Franchise Wars, now all restaurants are Taco Bell.....

You should win the argument based off of this statement alone. Cheesy Sylvester Stallone movies ftw lol.

05-29-09 04:41 PM
    I've had a blackberry since I was 18 and I love it. But everyone is correct, technology will change and there will never be a monopoly when each person wants something different out of their device.
    05-29-09 04:55 PM
    As I recall about 2 weeks ago the Blackberry knocked the Iphone out of the number 1 position to 3rd, and the Blackberry holds the other 4 positions.
    05-29-09 05:15 PM
    As I recall about 2 weeks ago the Blackberry knocked the Iphone out of the number 1 position to 3rd, and the Blackberry holds the other 4 positions.
    The Curve was first and the iPhone was second. RIM held 3 spots out of the top 5. The Verizon BOGO offer had a lot to do with this, but nonetheless the Curve is a great device and is very worthy of the number 1 spot.
    05-29-09 05:46 PM
    Silly topic. Reminds me of growing up, how we all talked about that in the year 2,000, we'd all have flying cars.
    05-29-09 05:55 PM
    Apple's goal for the iPhone was a just few % of the mobile market within a 2-3 year timeframe. At almost 2 years they have 10% of the smartphone market, so overall I guess they're about where they wanted to be. That's decent but nothing spectacular IMO. The fact they're stuck with ATT who's leaking serious oil now isn't helping their share IMO. They probably wish they had that one back now lol.
    05-29-09 06:00 PM
    Perhaps a little historical perspective is in order. During the '80's I was an Apple retailer. The Apple II was old technology, Macintosh was the way of the future.

The business community laughed, but we were solidly entrenched in the K-12 demographic. Apple was surviving, but the future was clearly beating Microsoft on their court.

Several changes of CEO later, Apple was near death and Steve Job came back to take the helm.

In a final desperate measure, they turned iPod loose. Back that with iTunes and they changed the world.

That banked rolled a successful advertising campaign aimed at defining the competition, and cost Microsoft hugely.

Are they able to do the same with RIM?

The future will be nothing, if not interesting.
    05-29-09 06:05 PM
    There are still going to be posers in 2040 so the yes the iphone will still be around but in 2040 there will still be people going around saying "I can not type on this thing!" So Blackberry should still be around cause of all the anti iphone people. It is the ying to the yang.
    05-29-09 06:41 PM
    First off, I'm a BB user and abuser. My BOLD is in my hand for at least 16 hours a day and I sleep with it by my side. Accordingly, the following is coming from a Blackberry LOVER .

Nevertheless, as the title suggests, Blackberry is rapidly losing ground and will be extinct by 2040 (or sometime thereabouts). And this picture encapsulates the exact reasons why this will happen.

The FUTURE of American Professionals are becoming LOYAL Apple/iPhone consumers. It seems that GENERALLY (of course this is not true for EVERY person) the older crowd of Blackberry devotees are content with calling the iPhone a "toy", and shunning the 17 year old iPhone users for wanting "shiny", "fun" phones.

Check out this thread to see the POLAR views of younger cell phone users vs. the older crowd.

It stands to reason that WHEN these individuals become bosses and are in leadership roles, they will use the iPhone for their businesses, NOT BLACKBERRY!

So, in the future, when the iPhone/Apple lovers become bosses and run their companies, you can say bye bye to Blackberry as the business default phone.
    Sorry, but your logic has been dead in the water since Woz and Jobs rolled up the garage doors and tried to sell Apple 1.

Apple has always virtually given computers and other electronic devices away to high school and college kids. During the early 80's you couldn't find a DOS based PC in a classroom. Apple II, Apple IIe and finally Apple IIc ruled K-12. Macs were dropped into college student's laps for peanuts beginning in 1984. There were many universities that required incoming frfeshman to buy Macs.

What was the result of all this marketing to the educational market? Apple dominated but was totally ignored by corporate America. No MIS was or is going to put themselves on the line for expensive, closed architecture technology. How many vertical solutions are written for Macs? Almost none, in fact there isn't much Mac software at all other than consumer applications that are written for Windows and ported over. You know why? One the installed base is minuscule. Two ask any consumer software developer and they will tell you that the Mac crowd are the biggest pirates there are. They don't buy software, they simply steal it.

I am an Apple fan. I have owned at least 10 Macs since 1984 but never once have I owned one that was used in a business that had more than a handful of employees and sophisticated networking needs. The one place you will find Macs in corporate America is graphic intensive concerns like newspapers and magazine publishing. Unfortunately they are going out of business faster than BlackBerry (sic).

Perception is everything and Apple's perception is not corporate. Even their commercial campaign, Mac versus PC, while very clever does nothing to enhance their corporate image.

Finally the installed base and investment in BES is going to be very hard for Apple to overcome. Windows Mobile? Maybe. The 500 pound gorilla may decide to try the smartphone market again and if they get it right there is no stopping Microsoft. They also may simply decide to collect the royalties and let somebody else worry about the hardware as has been their MO in every facet of their product line except X-Box.

So, my friend, interesting premise but about 35 years late. As my old friend Emily Latella used to say, "Never Mind".
    05-29-09 07:21 PM
    Just the other day, I was talking to my friend about this place, how it's a place for good information, help, and discussion, and that you very rarely find idiotic posts.

Well.. this is one of them.
    05-29-09 08:37 PM
    Wow thats cool but by then i will be long gone.
    05-29-09 08:42 PM
    I'm a 21-year old college student and all you see around campus is MacBooks and iPhones. Some of us, including myself, have internships with big corporations around here, and I'm starting to see A LOT of these big corp people with iPhones and MacBooks.

Honestly speaking, after undergraduate and graduate school, once I start my own company, with 5-10 people, the first thing I'm buying them is iPhones & MacBooks.

Deal with it. Things are changing. Apple is expensive, but a darn good investment. My parents got me a MacBook Pro, and it was expensive, but they figured I needed the best for college, since college itself is a great investment.

I love my iPhone & MacBook Pro!
    05-29-09 09:10 PM
    I'm a 21-year old college student and all you see around campus is MacBooks and iPhones. Some of us, including myself, have internships with big corporations around here, and I'm starting to see A LOT of these big corp people with iPhones and MacBooks.

Honestly speaking, after undergraduate and graduate school, once I start my own company, with 5-10 people, the first thing I'm buying them is iPhones & MacBooks.

Deal with it. Things are changing. Apple is expensive, but a darn good investment. My parents got me a MacBook Pro, and it was expensive, but they figured I needed the best for college, since college itself is a great investment.

Just curious, what type of college do you go to?

Would not mind if I was wrong, but *I thought* it has been long standing now that Macs are mostly for graphics people...
    05-29-09 09:29 PM

Do they teach English Comp at that university? Just curious.
    05-29-09 10:21 PM
    Just curious, what type of college do you go to?

Would not mind if I was wrong, but *I thought* it has been long standing now that Macs are mostly for graphics people...
    I attend Tulane University in New Orleans. Its a private university. Its a rather prestigious university and very expensive.
    05-29-09 10:24 PM
    Do they teach English Comp at that university? Just curious.
    Of course. I'm a Pre-Med major @ Tulane. I haven't taken an English course since Freshmen year, lol.
    05-29-09 10:28 PM
    In order for any of your suppositions to pan out one almost
    impossible thing needs to happen.

That is, that as of right now, all progress has to cease and the
    world waits for the new crop of CEO's, Managers, Supervisors, etc
    to enter the business world. Not going to happen.

Look at where both devices were at inception and look at where
    they are now. Look at the state of communications 40 years
    ago and look at where it is now. Light years ahead on both
    counts and somehow you are assuming that will halt with
    respect to RIM in particular.

Your other obvious mistake is assuming that 40 years from now
    there will not be something entirely different from either platform
    to supplant both devices as the de facto business communication
    device. I would not bet my house on your prognostications.
    Honestly, I would not bet my shed on them.
    ^^^ What he said.
    05-29-09 10:58 PM
    im 19 and i love my blackberry. the ability to multi-task on my phone is keeping me with blackberry.
    05-29-09 11:03 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD