First off, I'm a BB user and abuser. My BOLD is in my hand for at least 16 hours a day and I sleep with it by my side. Accordingly, the following is coming from a Blackberry LOVER .

Nevertheless, as the title suggests, Blackberry is rapidly losing ground and will be extinct by 2040 (or sometime thereabouts). And this picture encapsulates the exact reasons why this will happen.

The FUTURE of American Professionals are becoming LOYAL Apple/iPhone consumers. It seems that GENERALLY (of course this is not true for EVERY person) the older crowd of Blackberry devotees are content with calling the iPhone a "toy", and shunning the 17 year old iPhone users for wanting "shiny", "fun" phones.

Check out this thread to see the POLAR views of younger cell phone users vs. the older crowd.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/why...32/index3.html

Here's one small exerpt:
    Well actually, I don't fail as a consumer, they fail because their product doesn't appeal to me. Same with a lot of different people. And yes, being 17, its better than the 30 you probably are.. Am I right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Lets look at the logic:
    1.) Apple's "toy" appeals to college kids
    2.) Many of these same individuals are turned OFF from Blackberry because of their lack of apps etc.
    3.) If Apple continues to roll out "business" solutions with their iPhone THEN...

It stands to reason that WHEN these individuals become bosses and are in leadership roles, they will use the iPhone for their businesses, NOT BLACKBERRY!

So, in the future, when the iPhone/Apple lovers become bosses and run their companies, you can say bye bye to Blackberry as the business default phone.

Blackberry BETTER FOCUS ON THE YOUNG/COLLEGE GENERATION NOW or it will be too late.

Maybe people don't realize this, but the "toy" called the iPhone has a lot of stuff that is very appealing. Blackberry needs to jump in FAST to and appeal to that crowd.

Oh and just for clarity purposes...the Storm was a step in the right direction but needs some serious refining.

*The foregoing was my biased opinion, if you don't agree, I'm right and your wrong *
    Last edited by jay0heavenly; 05-29-09 at 12:27 PM.
    05-29-09 12:25 PM
    Let's just throw some chum in the water and see if the sharks are biting.
    This ought to be fun.
    05-29-09 12:42 PM
    Wont matter to me cause I'll be extinct by 2040.
    05-29-09 12:44 PM
    LOL So far the two comments are funnier than anything I could possibly come up with!
    05-29-09 12:48 PM
    I somehow doubt any predictions made now will be valid in 2040. Futurama anyone? And I don't mean the cartoon Futurama.
    05-29-09 12:50 PM
    Wont matter to me cause I'll be extinct by 2040.
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
    05-29-09 01:01 PM
    Meh, we'll have brain implants for phones by then....it won't matter who you have.
    05-29-09 01:12 PM
    In order for any of your suppositions to pan out one almost
    impossible thing needs to happen.

That is, that as of right now, all progress has to cease and the
    world waits for the new crop of CEO's, Managers, Supervisors, etc
    to enter the business world. Not going to happen.

Look at where both devices were at inception and look at where
    they are now. Look at the state of communications 40 years
    ago and look at where it is now. Light years ahead on both
    counts and somehow you are assuming that will halt with
    respect to RIM in particular.

Your other obvious mistake is assuming that 40 years from now
    there will not be something entirely different from either platform
    to supplant both devices as the de facto business communication
    device. I would not bet my house on your prognostications.
    Honestly, I would not bet my shed on them.
    05-29-09 01:13 PM
    Global warming will have drown us all by then. And if it takes iJunk 30 years to take over I'll be 88 and won't give a rodent's rump.
    05-29-09 01:15 PM
    by then people will be routing calls from home to wifi hotspots(larger broadcast capabilities) that will then go to locator handsets within range. wifi is the future carrier killer in my opinion. everything will prob be close to internet based access I would think.
    05-29-09 01:29 PM
    I disagree. BlackBerry's are better a business tool, period. The iPHone/iPod crowd who are young today, when they grow up to be CEO's and business professionals will have a diferrent taste also and will realize that BB's are better for business.
    05-29-09 01:33 PM
    good thought but technology will change so much by that time, who knows what we all will be using, but hopefully its still blackbery
    05-29-09 01:50 PM
    You're wildin.
    05-29-09 02:05 PM
    By 2040? Why would anybody go as far as to predict that far into the future? It�s pointless. Technology is changing so rapid and is only going to get faster. Think about how many things might become extinct by 2040.
    05-29-09 02:15 PM
    I disagree. BlackBerry's are better a business tool, period. The iPHone/iPod crowd who are young today, when they grow up to be CEO's and business professionals will have a diferrent taste also and will realize that BB's are better for business.
    This is my point though...Lets just say that John Doe, a 21 college Junior with a Mac and an iPhone loves both.

He graduates with honors, starts his own widget business and for his 3 employees, he buys macbooks and iphones.

That business flourishes and now instead of 3 employees, its 3,000. IMHO, this is where Blackberry will lose if they don't change. John Doe, a iPhone and Mac user won't just hop on the Blackberry bandwagon because he never has been a BB user and has no loyalty to that product. Conversely, he has loyalty to the iPhone.

Soooo, if Apple rolls out a bunch of apps which allow him to edit Word docs, print pdf's etc., he'll use the iPhone, never even thinking about going with a Blackberry because to him they are outdated.
    05-29-09 02:15 PM
    By 2040? Why would anybody go as far as to predict that far into the future? It�s pointless. Technology is changing so rapid and is only going to get faster. Think about how many things might become extinct by 2040.
    2040 was a random abstract number. I used it to suggest that in the future generation of business professionals, Blackberry is in danger of losing its status as industry standard.
    05-29-09 02:17 PM
    I love my Blackberry and I hate touchscreens but I am curious and want to give the iphone a go. I've been wanting an apple mac laptop for years too. Maybe one day!

05-29-09 02:17 PM
    Oh, btw 2040? I am guessing because by then the kids who are going through college will be 40 odd by then and will probably be bosses of companies/managers by then!!! Nice thread, I value other peoples opinons especially where Blackberrys are concerned!

05-29-09 02:19 PM
    Shxt, just realised; how many times did I use 'by then' in that post. I can't see what I am typing b/c the text doesn't wrap!

05-29-09 02:20 PM
    I love my Blackberry and I hate touchscreens but I am curious and want to give the iphone a go. I've been wanting an apple mac laptop for years too. Maybe one day!

What if in 5 years, there's a whole lineup of iPhones and some have physical keyboards?

And, there available on EVERY carrier? Things will change then...fast.
    05-29-09 02:28 PM
    Oh, btw 2040? I am guessing because by then the kids who are going through college will be 40 odd by then and will probably be bosses of companies/managers by then!!! Nice thread, I value other peoples opinons especially where Blackberrys are concerned!

Yep, you hit the nail on the head
    05-29-09 02:29 PM
    2040 is a long time, I would be surprised at any tech company that lasts that long. 30 years is pretty much forever in this industry, but it's also about how long Apple has been marketing to schools. It may be keeping them alive, but it hasn't helped their penetration into the business world at all. On the plus side, if it wasn't for Apple popularizing the technology they licensed for the iPhone we probably wouldn't have the Storm.
    05-29-09 02:31 PM
    This is my point though...Lets just say that John Doe, a 21 college Junior with a Mac and an iPhone loves both.

He graduates with honors, starts his own widget business and for his 3 employees, he buys macbooks and iphones.

That business flourishes and now instead of 3 employees, its 3,000. IMHO, this is where Blackberry will lose if they don't change. John Doe, a iPhone and Mac user won't just hop on the Blackberry bandwagon because he never has been a BB user and has no loyalty to that product. Conversely, he has loyalty to the iPhone.

Soooo, if Apple rolls out a bunch of apps which allow him to edit Word docs, print pdf's etc., he'll use the iPhone, never even thinking about going with a Blackberry because to him they are outdated.

Hahaha, Loyalty? What's the point of Loyalty to a cell phone? RIM never did anything for me really. People get so cought up in these cell phones, its like if you buy an iPhone you must never buy anything else, same with BB. I buy the product I need at the time I'm shopping for one. When I decided to get a BB is wasn't because I was loyale to BB or hated Apple, I just though BB's were really cool and it had many features that I wanted.

John Doe the Mac and iPhone user will grow out of his toy-ish iPhone when he's in the business world. He might use his iPhone for work for a while but will find some areas where his iPhone is more of a personal phone than a business tool. and then one of his 3000 employees will say "ever used a BlackBerry before?"

Problem solved.

Loyalty has nothing to do with it, iPhone is a great phone, but its not the business tool that BlackBerry is. And that it, iPhone will continue to please the young hip, college crowd and BlackBerry will always aim tehir product at the productive work type people. Think of the "Hi I'm a PC, and I'm a MAC" none of these two are going away, there will always be both. iPhone will do very well in the future and so will BB, to different peoples.

A few years ago an iPhone would have been perfect for me, but now at 29 the BB just makes more sence.
    05-29-09 02:32 PM
    Now I could be wrong for pointing this out but Bill Gates, sometimes in 1981 or so, said “640K ought to be enough for anybody." How did this turn out to be?

You just cant predict what will happen with BlackBerry devices in 2040, we may all switch to something that no one has even thought of yet???
    05-29-09 02:36 PM
    What if in 5 years, there's a whole lineup of iPhones and some have physical keyboards?
    I can tell you right now that a physical keyboard on the iPhone will most likely never happen. Steve Jobs said this 2 years ago. He does not like physical keyboards. Although, if in 5 years he has no say in things, it can happen, but I doubt it.

Your OP post can potentially happen though. But you also need to think, that kids graduating now will be introduced to the BlackBerry in the corporate world as it is supplied by their companies so they might just stick with it since they will be using it the whole time.
    05-29-09 02:39 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD