Why BlackBerrys and Androids need to wait for the approval from carriers to update?

I don't know about Windows Phones but devices with iOS are not controlled by carriers in any means! BBs and Droids are plagued with at&t apps too...
    04-30-12 07:35 AM
    Why BlackBerrys and Androids need to wait for the approval from carriers to update?
    For BlackBerry devices, the OS needs to be tested internally before being provided to their customer user base.
    04-30-12 07:43 AM
    Because apple has the power to tell the carriers no. Plus the carriers want to test and make sure everything works right before sending it out.
    phonejunky likes this.
    04-30-12 07:46 AM
    Because apple has the power to tell the carriers no. Plus the carriers want to test and make sure everything works right before sending it out.
    Then the carriers need to do a better job cause everything never works right.
    04-30-12 07:48 AM
    Then the carriers need to do a better job cause everything never works right.
    Except the carriers aren't the ones making the updates they just test them. RIM needs to make better updates
    howarmat likes this.
    04-30-12 07:51 AM
    Except the carriers aren't the ones making the updates they just test them. RIM needs to make better updates
    Agree. Was responding to "carriers have to make sure everything works right". I really wish RIM could do a better job and hope they do by the time bb10 hits.
    04-30-12 07:57 AM
    Apple has the power right now. The carriers test iOS out too before the public gets it, but just like Apple has the carriers sign agreements about no bloatware, I'm sure that they have clauses about updates go when Apple says they do. Verizon had first shot at the iPhone way back when, but they didn't want to give Apple as much power as they did so they declined, AT&T was willing to accept the terms so they got the exclusive. Even now Verizon abides by Apple's rules, but they don't really push the iPhone hard at all in marketing and push Android very hard.

Also with Android and old BBOS, the entire OS has to be recompiled when even small things change. With the new BB10 and Playbook Tablet OS, RIM should be make to changes to to everything but the radio stack and the crypto kernel and not have to involve the carriers or worry about the FIPS certification, because it is a micro-kernel and they can upgrade parts of the OS modularly. I'm sure they will need to get carriers on board with this idea though.
    04-30-12 09:03 AM
    The carriers like to test and release them because with the exception of Apple, the device support tends to be done by the carrier. This may also explain why they tend to not update very often or at all with some devices. I would guess their service and support networks get swamped with calls every time a new update is released.

Keep in mind the carriers not only have to deal with supporting software problems, but also deal with bricking/nuking issues caused by problems during the software update. It is probably a loose loose situation for the carrier when a customer calls with a bricked/nuked phone and the phone is out of warranty.
    04-30-12 09:25 AM
    Apple has one OS for all devces..... Blackberry has how many???? Android is really fragmented ..... that is why the testing is requeired......
    04-30-12 09:36 AM
    Apple has the power right now. The carriers test iOS out too before the public gets it, but just like Apple has the carriers sign agreements about no bloatware, I'm sure that they have clauses about updates go when Apple says they do. Verizon had first shot at the iPhone way back when, but they didn't want to give Apple as much power as they did so they declined, AT&T was willing to accept the terms so they got the exclusive. Even now Verizon abides by Apple's rules, but they don't really push the iPhone hard at all in marketing and push Android very hard.

Also with Android and old BBOS, the entire OS has to be recompiled when even small things change. With the new BB10 and Playbook Tablet OS, RIM should be make to changes to to everything but the radio stack and the crypto kernel and not have to involve the carriers or worry about the FIPS certification, because it is a micro-kernel and they can upgrade parts of the OS modularly. I'm sure they will need to get carriers on board with this idea though.
    Agree, I know the carriers like to make sure the radios are working right but if in BB10 they only need to change something with the OS and not the radios then I think updates should require a little less testing.
    04-30-12 10:54 AM
    With the new BB10 and Playbook Tablet OS, RIM should be make to changes to to everything but the radio stack and the crypto kernel and not have to involve the carriers or worry about the FIPS certification, because it is a micro-kernel and they can upgrade parts of the OS modularly.
    This is the correct answer. The OS updates include updates to the radio stack and as such the carriers need to test and approve before release. BB10 will not supposedly do this so they should be able to release updates to everyone at the same time and as soon as ready and tested.
    04-30-12 10:58 AM
    The carriers have to add their bloat to the system, that's where the true delay comes from.
    I'm running Android 4.0.4 no thanks to sprint.
    04-30-12 11:01 AM
    With Android, you only wait on the carriers if you really want to.
    04-30-12 12:09 PM
    The carriers have to add their bloat to the system, that's where the true delay comes from.
    This. Verizon is horrible about adding bloatware to BBOS.
    04-30-12 12:18 PM
    Apple has this thing that everyone must play by their own rules. Everyone else is forced to abide by the carrier requirements.

Even the nexus line of phones require carrier approval, but at least it is usually quick.
    04-30-12 12:53 PM
    With Android, you only wait on the carriers if you really want to.
    Same goes for BB. http://forums.crackberry.com/leaked-beta-os-f95/
    04-30-12 12:54 PM
    Apple has total control over their entire software and hardware ecosystem. The carriers have to conform to Apple but the other operating systems have to conform to the carriers because of all the variations.
    04-30-12 01:02 PM
    As stated before, we shouldn't have to wait on the carriers in BB10 phones. It should be just like the PlayBook. It will be quite the relief.
    04-30-12 02:47 PM
    AT&T's Bold 9900 sits at official OS version 7.0.0.5xx... This is bad, very bad when there are leaks like the 7.1.0.4xx...
    04-30-12 09:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD