Hello everyone!
    So I'm coming back in France after an one-month internship in Shanghai (China). I loved this country, people... but what I didnt like was the lack of a lot of services (for example, no Google without VPN).
    Indeed, I've thought of one thing. The main Blackberry's issue for people in America or France (and many other countries I think) is the lack of apps. But now, with our amazing Android player, almost all of the needed apps are working on our devices. The only apps that still dont work are the Googles services needed ones. But Google play services aren't available in China (without a VPN). Indeed, without this lack of apps, Blackberry can make the difference in China with the Z3 for example,or with the Passport! Why the Passport? Because in Shanghai, everyone likes the "hype". Indeed, why Blackberry doesnt bring a special device for chinese?

I know that John Chen is "affraid" of this hudge market. But I think that Blackberry should try to launch a brand new phone in China.
    07-26-15 10:09 AM
    You forgot one thing: the government doesn't like people to have such security. I bet you already read Pakistan situation.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 10:26 AM
    Hello everyone!
    So I'm coming back in France after an one-month internship in Shanghai (China). I loved this country, people... but what I didnt like was the lack of a lot of services (for example, no Google without VPN).
    Indeed, I've thought of one thing. The main Blackberry's issue for people in America or France (and many other countries I think) is the lack of apps. But now, with our amazing Android player, almost all of the needed apps are working on our devices. The only apps that still dont work are the Googles services needed ones. But Google play services aren't available in China (without a VPN). Indeed, without this lack of apps, Blackberry can make the difference in China with the Z3 for example,or with the Passport! Why the Passport? Because in Shanghai, everyone likes the "hype". Indeed, why Blackberry doesnt bring a special device for chinese?

I know that John Chen is "affraid" of this hudge market. But I think that Blackberry should try to launch a brand new phone in China.
    Google services affects a lot of applications not just the first party apps. After spending close to a year in Hong Kong, it's easy to see that if BlackBerry launched a new device in these markets it's DOA unless they have the software offering of Android, as well as the super low prices + high specs combination.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 10:38 AM
    I remember reading an article about why Chen does not want to gain marketshare in china. its along of the lines that it would be a security risk.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using CB Forums
    07-26-15 10:47 AM
    You forgot one thing: the government doesn't like people to have such security. I bet you already read Pakistan situation.

Posted via CB10
    Except that transmissions sent from BB10 devices without BES and secusmart etc are just as easy to compromise than every other brand. In fact the Chinese govt would LOVE BB10 devices because they know the vast majority would be fooled into thinking they have some extra security (and thus possibly divulge more than otherwise) when in fact they can intercept everything.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 10:52 AM
    ]Indeed, without this lack of apps, Blackberry can make the difference in China with the Z3 for example,or with the Passport! ]
    The Z3 would a bigger dud in China that it has been elsewhere - *nobody* would pay what BBRY wants for their mediocre hardware when there are far more powerful locally made options with their own native android app stores.
    07-26-15 10:54 AM
    I remember reading an article about why Chen does not want to gain marketshare in china. its along of the lines that it would be a security risk.

Not really, it's because he can't make cheap enough devices to compete. However, the real reason is that he most likely would not be allowed to sell BES or the other services he wants to focus on. Remember that at this point, he sees handsets as a gateway into his service revenue,... if he can't sell his services (because of national restrictions, etc), then it does not make sense to struggle to sell handsets.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-26-15 10:55 AM
    To me, I think China needs a completely different device. An exclusive Chinese phone because, by staying one month with Chinese, I know that they love feel unique.
    But yes, if we talk about privacy and security it becomes hard to say if BlackBerry would stay here. But I've seen some guys with passport or Q10 so maybe it will works?

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 03:41 PM
    China is the last place Chen should be worried about. Blackberry can't compete there.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 03:49 PM
    China is the last place Chen should be worried about. Blackberry can't compete there.

Posted via CB10
    Hum don't know.. we have the amazon appstore which work in China. And Google play store doesn't exist yet, there is just the Huawei or Xiaomi stores... Indeed BlackBerry could bring more apps that they could dream currently. They just need to improve the WeChat app.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 04:30 PM
    The Z3 would a bigger dud in China that it has been elsewhere - *nobody* would pay what BBRY wants for their mediocre hardware when there are far more powerful locally made options with their own native android app stores.
    Not "nobody". BES would be attractive for foreign companies who get ripped off by their Chinese manufacturer.

But that isn't near as much volume as they'd need.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 04:43 PM
    Hum don't know.. we have the amazon appstore which work in China. And Google play store doesn't exist yet, there is just the Huawei or Xiaomi stores... Indeed BlackBerry could bring more apps that they could dream currently. They just need to improve the WeChat app.

Posted via CB10
    I was thinking more price.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 05:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    Google Play store doesn't exist because Google is pretty well persona non grata in China presently. Localized app variants dominate.

There appear to be two main streams in that market� very price conscious and very aspirational. BBRY faces *considerable* obstacles in both. I wouldn't bother focusing per se on China. Rather make a competitive desirable phone in general that works flawlessly with China Mobile but doesn't challenge local grown and allow to enter via grey market. Will still be a tough battle, though. BBRY doesn't really have strengths that would help there.
    07-26-15 06:08 PM
    Not "nobody". BES would be attractive for foreign companies who get ripped off by their Chinese manufacturer.

But that isn't near as much volume as they'd need.

Posted via CB10
    Would you trust a counterfeit BES...? 8-o

I wouldn't... haha!

�   "BB Android Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."   �
    07-26-15 06:25 PM
    On BlackBerry's BBM Channel they have announced that they will be providing EMM cloud in HongKong by partnering with 1010.

The first step into China I guess.

09-30-15 10:46 AM
    On BlackBerry's BBM Channel they have announced that they will be providing EMM cloud in HongKong by partnering with 1010.

The first step into China I guess.

Different beasts, in that they aren't really required to hand everything over to the Communist Party while in Hong Kong.

For a company that keeps parroting privacy, it would make little sense to give that up for an impossibly small share of the Chinese smartphone market.

At one end, there's the dirt cheap Android phones (Xiaomi, Huawei, etc) that BlackBerry can't compete with on a price or app basis. On the other, there's the sell-a-kidney-for-them Apple products that BlackBerry can't compete with on a ostentatiousness or app basis. Not much left for a tepid BB10 device, or even the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB and goku_vegeta like this.
    09-30-15 12:38 PM
    Different beasts, in that they aren't really required to hand everything over to the Communist Party while in Hong Kong.

For a company that keeps parroting privacy, it would make little sense to give that up for an impossibly small share of the Chinese smartphone market.

At one end, there's the dirt cheap Android phones (Xiaomi, Huawei, etc) that BlackBerry can't compete with on a price or app basis. On the other, there's the sell-a-kidney-for-them Apple products that BlackBerry can't compete with on a ostentatiousness or app basis. Not much left for a tepid BB10 device, or even the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    Correct on all counts. As someone who's spent way too much time in carrier stores in Hong Kong I can definitely tell you that it's an uphill battle for BlackBerry. The only BlackBerry devices you'll see are devices with a keyboard, be it BlackBerry 10 or BlackBerry 7, and furthermore the Priv runs Android (Or Google depending on who you want to listen to) and the question then becomes what's the incentive when you have a plethora of other devices.

Enterprise has always been a different beast from the consumer market. A company can say here's your phone and they don't have to give a flying (you know what) and that's what you're going to have to use.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 06:28 PM
    ''BlackBerry has signed over (mostly) global rights to use its branding on phones to Chinese manufacturer TCL. Under the terms of the agreement, TCL will “design, manufacture, sell, and provide customer support for BlackBerry-branded mobile devices,” while BlackBerry will chip in with the software and services''. So I guess now they do have a chinese connection, don't they?
    That agreement with TCL is over AFAIK.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-06-20 05:01 PM
    ''BlackBerry has signed over (mostly) global rights to use its branding on phones to Chinese manufacturer TCL. Under the terms of the agreement, TCL will “design, manufacture, sell, and provide customer support for BlackBerry-branded mobile devices,” while BlackBerry will chip in with the software and services''. So I guess now they do have a chinese connection, don't they?
    That agreement with TCL is over AFAIK.
    Yes. It formally ends on Aug 31st.
    brookie229 likes this.
    08-06-20 05:19 PM
    Okay.

So, you woke up a 5 year old thread to give us 3 year old news of an agreement that ends next month.
    John Albert and gebco like this.
    08-06-20 06:28 PM
    08-06-20 08:01 PM
    Okay.

So, you woke up a 5 year old thread to give us 3 year old news of an agreement that ends next month.
    C'mon cut the poster some slack - he/she is a newbie.
    08-06-20 08:28 PM
    Slack? Around here...?
    08-06-20 08:40 PM
    Even a newbie ought to know that story was old news....
    08-07-20 07:17 AM
    Sorry, you're right.

''Electronics maker TCL Communication, which distributes phones like the BlackBerry Key2 and BlackBerry Motion, will stop selling BlackBerry phones as of August 31, according to a statement that BlackBerry Mobile posted to Twitter on Monday. That's because TCL will no longer retain the rights to manufacture, design, or sell BlackBerry devices past that date.''
    Welcome to the present......
    08-08-20 02:12 PM