In amongst the doom and gloom recently a few things have happened...

1) The iPhone5 S & C launches have shown how iOS is slowly but surely in need of a complete overhaul and how Apples business model is being laid bare - same phone, slight tweak, mass upgrades. Only the mass upgrade bit is getting smaller without something really special.
    2) Android is a bloated, unsecure beast and heading the same way. S4 sales, whilst impressive on the face of it in comparison to everyone else, were below target - a fact people seem to miss. It's not how many you sell, it's how many you shift against what you budget to sell.
    3) HTC, Samsungs biggest Android competitor (and the Android innovater), seem to be in the doldrums. Samsung is rapidly becoming Android.
    3) WP is in flux with the Nokia purchase - in fact it wouldn't surprise me if Windows are actually doing a BB and refreshing everything from the bottom up.

Let's face it 2 years is a very, very long time in mobile tech. It would seem right now that iOS and Android are kings of the hill but are actually, believe it or not, on their way down - fast. Android was a nowhere OS 3 years ago - now it has a ridiculous (and laggy) market share.

It's cool... for now.. but so was Apple only a few short months ago....

Yes, loads of people will buy the new Apple products for example, a lot more than BB10 right now, as they did with the S4, but by rebuilding from the bottom up BB and, to a lesser extent, MS, have the drop on Apple and Android/ Samsung. They's bitten the bullet already and presented the public with something new that, right now, has only just caught up with (and surpassed, in certain areas but not enough yet), the big 2.

Now, where the fun begins is the future. What on earth can Apple and Android/Samsung do vs a revitalised QNX powered BB and wholly owned MS Nokia? They'll have to redesign their OS from the bottom up and in the process risk alienating their traditional customers (iOS7 - whoops!). This could take a while, maybe 2 years - so, the next 12 months might just be the time to innovate and grab the market back...

Oh, and maybe there'll be a proper marketing campaign to let the world know!
    Last edited by bigglybobblyboo; 09-14-13 at 06:25 PM. Reason: typos
    09-14-13 06:23 PM
    3) HTC, Samsungs biggest Android competitor (and the Android innovater), seem to be in the doldrums. Samsung is rapidly becoming Android.
    3) WP is in flux with the Nokia purchase - in fact it wouldn't surprise me if Windows are actually doing a BB and refreshing everything from the bottom up.
    Your 3rd point doesn't make any sense. Microsoft bought Nokia, not the other way around. If anything, we should see even better WP8 devices coming. I mean, your second 3rd point.

The problem with BlackBerry is a well know vicious circle > we can't get apps because we can't get people to buy phones because we don't have apps. Marketing is weak, and it's hard to market an evolving ecosystem, but they should still try to sell people on the power of their platform. On that, we agree. Totally.I think that we could easily have a four player game in mobile. There is plenty of space, not everybody has upraded to smartphones yet. And there are always people that just can't do the same OS for very long. BlackBerry's realy problem is perception. The commun folk has no idea what BB10 is about (or even that BB10 that isn't related to BB7). The Tech world is biased against them. The Street wants to see them dead (for shorting stock is da moneyz!)...

BlackBerry's secondary problem is... BlackBerry.

I'll elaborate. Broken promisses, mixed messages, poor timing news and very bad choosing of where/where to to say something. Their communication is a real mess. Specially funny and ironic considering that they make us communicate more efficiently. I also wonder how good they are on the management level (let's face it, their record of meeting deadlines just isn't that good).

But do not think I am bashing. I agree with the OP of sorts. I kinda look at Apple now and see RIM in 2007 "We're king. We nailed the game.", and in 2009 "Let's just add stuff to the phones are they are" - or was the 9780 that different to the 9700? If they don't act, Apple will soon be in the same downhill way RIM started trailing when the iPhone came out (and I don't want that. I thank Apple for the beauty my Z10 is).

Competition is gold. We already lost Palm. If I could have it my way, we'd have all 5 players. But I digress, BlackBerry should fix their communication issues so they can convey their message to consumers, the Street and the media properly; woo developers by doing whatever it takes; and market their devices properly. Seriously. All other companies seem to know how to do this bit right but them.

Now excuse me, my Z10 has bee neglected far to long while I was writing this post.
    Last edited by diegonei; 09-14-13 at 07:03 PM.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    09-14-13 06:45 PM
    Iphone is the easiest user friendly phone on the market. It is a pleasure to use. There r iPhone apps for any and every possible activity. And the apps r just as smooth to use as the phone.
    Android is the most customizable smart phone on the market. The os went from a clunky ios wanna be to a smooth customizable very powerful os. The back button and multi task button make it very convenient to use for newcomers. The fact that so many phone makers have endorsed android means that u can have an android in just about any shape, size, colour, and variation that u can ask for.
    These two os's have eaten blackberries lunch for years to the point where BlackBerry can't even go out of business without loosing their shirt.
    And to criticize the heavy weights as if they're inferior to the z10 exemplifies the mentality and attitude that put BlackBerry in the toilet.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 06:55 PM
    All that, and Blackberry has to execute on every point that its competitors are hitting, the product quality, build quality, quality of services, everything that they could influence they have to do it at a caliber and intensity equal or even more than its competitors.
    09-14-13 07:22 PM
  5. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Having used BlackBerry phones since 1992.... and currently using both z10 and q10... they need to make them more user friendly.

It's that simple. Perhaps the wifi ota 10.2 will be a good step in the right direction and cross platform bbm....

Quite honestly, too many clicks to do some tasks... so it's frustrating....

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 07:33 PM

1) The iPhone5 S & C launches have shown how iOS is slowly but surely in need of a complete overhaul and how Apples business model is being laid bare - same phone, slight tweak, mass upgrades. Only the mass upgrade bit is getting smaller without something really special.
    2) Android is a bloated, unsecure beast and heading the same way. S4 sales, whilst impressive on the face of it in comparison to everyone else, were below target - a fact people seem to miss. It's not how many you sell, it's how many you shift against what you budget to sell.

Let's face it 2 years is a very, very long time in mobile tech. It would seem right now that iOS and Android are kings of the hill but are actually, believe it or not, on their way down - fast. Android was a nowhere OS 3 years ago - now it has a ridiculous (and laggy) market share.

Yes, loads of people will buy the new Apple products for example, a lot more than BB10 right now, as they did with the S4, but by rebuilding from the bottom up BB and, to a lesser extent, MS, have the drop on Apple and Android/ Samsung. They's bitten the bullet already and presented the public with something new that, right now, has only just caught up with (and surpassed, in certain areas but not enough yet), the big 2.

Now, where the fun begins is the future. What on earth can Apple and Android/Samsung do vs a revitalised QNX powered BB and wholly owned MS Nokia? They'll have to redesign their OS from the bottom up and in the process risk alienating their traditional customers (iOS7 - whoops!). This could take a while, maybe 2 years - so, the next 12 months might just be the time to innovate and grab the market back...

I've been thinking and saying the same thing for a while now. We look back at palm and know that it wasn't given the chance to mature. I just hope BlackBerry is given that chance.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 07:40 PM
    Having used BlackBerry phones since 1992.... and currently using both z10 and q10... they need to make them more user friendly.

It's that simple. Perhaps the wifi ota 10.2 will be a good step in the right direction and cross platform bbm....

Quite honestly, too many clicks to do some tasks... so it's frustrating....

Posted via CB10
    10.2 does make the learning curve less steep with better tutorials (that aren't dumb/boring and actually work) and features that are in more "your face" than hidden behind three buttons. It is, like Bla1ze said in the last podcast "what BB10 should have been from day one" (well, he said something like that at least). As for the many clicks... You click more here, but less there... It kinda evens out in the end. hehe

All that, and Blackberry has to execute on every point that its competitors are hitting, the product quality, build quality, quality of services, everything that they could influence they have to do it at a caliber and intensity equal or even more than its competitors.
    For a brand new OS, BB10 is quite impressive. Surely the most feature rich "1.0" ever seen. Do they still need to work on it? Lots. Like bradu1 said, BB10 needs some time to come of age. Given time, it will be powerful enough to shut people up for good.

As for hardware quality... Tell me again how exactly any BB10 device is lacking. And I'd not go for the 1080p res argument as that's not a standard (not even the iPhone bothered with it yet).
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    09-14-13 07:44 PM
    Iphone is the easiest user friendly phone on the market. It is a pleasure to use. There r iPhone apps for any and every possible activity. And the apps r just as smooth to use as the phone.
    Android is the most customizable smart phone on the market. The os went from a clunky ios wanna be to a smooth customizable very powerful os. The back button and multi task button make it very convenient to use for newcomers. The fact that so many phone makers have endorsed android means that u can have an android in just about any shape, size, colour, and variation that u can ask for.
    These two os's have eaten blackberries lunch for years to the point where BlackBerry can't even go out of business without loosing their shirt.
    And to criticize the heavy weights as if they're inferior to the z10 exemplifies the mentality and attitude that put BlackBerry in the toilet.

Posted via CB10
    I understand you have your opinion.

Here's mine.

Apple is the easiest, however also very tedious. It has by far the worst method of task switching out of all the platforms. There is no way that fingerprint scanner can be left in one piece if someone actually bounces around from app to app, at least as much as I do. Apple is anything but a pleasure to use.

Android, I was a newcomer to it once too. Yep, the back button was very user friendly. The multi task button? Never understood why that was one of the three. Didn't really make sense to have as one of the permanent hard keys. And coming in to android from the outside, it was anything but intuitive. Yes, android is by far the most customizable os out there, if you root your phone and void your warranty. The fact that so many phone makers utilize android is what has resulted in this specs arms race and why Samsung is the only company that seems to be making money producing handsets using it. Android smooth? It is like the course grit sandpaper of cell phones. Literally every other phone I've used, even after months of use, are smoother than any brand new android I've touched.

And before you say it, yes, BB10 is not perfect yet, but it's has a few very solid wins against the other os's, and if they can capitalize on the wins and work on the losses, they could have a very bright future, if given time.

You're right, they have beaten BlackBerry because BlackBerry was arrogant and didn't see how not changing was affecting them. However, they started fresh, and put out an amazing product that needs to see the light of day. Apple is now the arrogant fool, following in the footsteps of BlackBerry. The op is correct, give them time to defeat themselves. I said it a long time ago, after years of waiting for the iPhone killer, we're finally going to get one, and it is the new iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    Kostas Aspiotis likes this.
    09-14-13 07:58 PM
    10.2 does make the learning curve less steep with better tutorials (that aren't dumb/boring and actually work) and features that are in more "your face" than hidden behind three buttons. It is, like Bla1ze said in the last podcast "what BB10 should have been from day one" (well, he said something like that at least). As for the many clicks... You click more here, but less there... It kinda evens out in the end. hehe

For a brand new OS, BB10 is quite impressive. Surely the most feature rich "1.0" ever seen. Do they still need to work on it? Lots. Like bradu1 said, BB10 needs some time to come of age. Given time, it will be powerful enough to shut people up for good.

As for hardware quality... Tell me again how exactly any BB10 device is lacking. And I'd not go for the 1080p res argument as that's not a standard (not even the iPhone bothered with it yet).
    Hardware quality is good, and I would know as I have used a White Q10 before, but it's not iPhone or HTC One or even Nokia Lumia quality when it comes to build. I may be wrong but hey just my opinion.
    09-14-13 08:22 PM
    Not sure about all of it but I was surprised to hear a coworker who is a big iPhone fan express disappointment at the iPhone 5s announcement. Says she is moving to Android because the iPhone can't "do as much".

Anyway I found it interesting since she's not really that tech savvy. Not someone who jumps around a lot.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443
    09-14-13 08:41 PM
    iOS has plenty of technologic legs. It runs the most advanced mobile games & multimedia, the most powerful productivity and cloud tools, the most connected hardware, and has the most diverse developer ecosystem. You think that your user interface preferences means that Apple is going downhill?

A minor example - the Los Angeles public school district is buying an iPad for each of its 650K students. That's one single school district. The way things are going, if you don't have a tablet, you might as well not even be in mobile.

The folks at PreCentral used to say this kind of thing about webOS: Here's what's wrong with the competition so they will fail. That leaves webOS for the win of they can just have enough time and execute everything perfectly. Well, it's obvious from what's been going on that Blackberry does not have much time. Even their own Board says they want to auction themselves off by November. That doesn't sound like a long term strategy to me.
    helio9965 likes this.
    09-14-13 08:43 PM
    Not sure about all of it but I was surprised to hear a coworker who is a big iPhone fan express disappointment at the iPhone 5s announcement. Says she is moving to Android because the iPhone can't "do as much".

Anyway I found it interesting since she's not really that tech savvy. Not someone who jumps around a lot.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443
    I've been hearing that from my iPhone friends for some time. Before the announcement. I haven't even found any of them that have watched the announcement. Sadly, they're all going android too. But I haven't given up showing them my great phone.

Of course, maybe they'll go to Best Buy and buy their front and center android phone. The BlackBerry X-10! Lol

Posted via CB10
    BBVegasGirl80 and diegonei like this.
    09-14-13 08:45 PM
    Hardware quality is good, and I would know as I have used a White Q10 before, but it's not iPhone or HTC One or even Nokia Lumia quality when it comes to build. I may be wrong but hey just my opinion.
    I respect your opinion. I have handled a number of phones and m Z10 is on pair when it comes to build quality. It may not the a ultra premium finish device, but it never set out to be o in the first place.

iOS has plenty of technologic legs. It runs the most advanced mobile games & multimedia, the most powerful productivity and cloud tools, the most connected hardware, and has the most diverse developer ecosystem. You think that your user interface preferences means that Apple is going downhill?

No one can argue that point. But it's not just us wondering what's going to happen to Apple in the near future. Actually... We can't argue they are very sucessful. The "most advanced" bit it completely subjective.

The folks at PreCentral used to say this kind of thing about webOS: Here's what's wrong with the competition so they will fail. That leaves webOS for the win of they can just have enough time and execute everything perfectly. Well, it's obvious from what's been going on that Blackberry does not have much time. Even their own Board says they want to auction themselves off by November. That doesn't sound like a long term strategy to me.
    Now the Palm bit we can discuss. Palm got bought, they didn't have cash to keep things moving on their own. We're seeing a scenario where BlackBerry may be bought right now, but it's worlds apart from Palm. BlackBerry could very well keep on doing things their way for at the very least another full year before they actually go into the financial red zone. Palm just didn't have the bucks to see their vision to fruition. BlackBerry may still. Problem is, that may not be the best solution for them. We hope they can pull it off, but we can see why they are looking at alrernatives.

Now "Even their own Board says they want to auction themselves off by November" I'd be delighter if you could be so kind and point us to the source of this. I mean, an article where you see a top BlackBerry executive actually SAY they will be selling by November.

I may be wrong but as far as I remember, they have said they are looking at options - selling has always been an option - and they have been saying that pretty much since BB10 came out. I particularly think that having control over hardware and software is better (Apple, Google and Microsoft seem to agree). Not picking on you, just an honest request.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443
    I've been hearing that from my iPhone friends for some time. Before the announcement. I haven't even found any of them that have watched the announcement. Sadly, they're all going android too. But I haven't given up showing them my great phone.

Of course, maybe they'll go to Best Buy and buy their front and center android phone. The BlackBerry X-10! Lol

Posted via CB10
    You see, Apple is losing ground. Not in any major amount, but in slow, scary bits. I know a guy in the UK that is totally crazy about his Z10. That's a guy that has gone all in with Apple iOS ecosystem. He has had iPhones of all numbers and letters, got an iPad, buys almost all his stuff on iTunes, has his life in sync with iCloud. But the Z10 won him over. He's not leaving any of his iLive behind. But he won't let go of the Z10 either.

That's the scary thing for Apple right now, I guess. That people are finally starting to look elsewhere.

And yeah... If i had to go Android, I too would get that X10! rofl.
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    09-14-13 08:55 PM
    To me, keeping their nerve would be to progress through their transition plan and not broadcast to the world that they're looking at alternative options. They need to give it some time and spend some money on marketing.
    diegonei likes this.
    09-14-13 09:13 PM
    Your 3rd point doesn't make any sense. Microsoft bought Nokia, not the other way around. If anything, we should see even better WP8 devices coming. I mean, your second 3rd point.

The problem with BlackBerry is a well know vicious circle > we can't get apps because we can't get people to buy phones because we don't have apps. Marketing is weak, and it's hard to market an evolving ecosystem, but they should still try to sell people on the power of their platform. On that, we agree. Totally.I think that we could easily have a four player game in mobile. There is plenty of space, not everybody has upraded to smartphones yet. And there are always people that just can't do the same OS for very long. BlackBerry's realy problem is perception. The commun folk has no idea what BB10 is about (or even that BB10 that isn't related to BB7). The Tech world is biased against them. The Street wants to see them dead (for shorting stock is da moneyz!)...

BlackBerry's secondary problem is... BlackBerry.

I'll elaborate. Broken promisses, mixed messages, poor timing news and very bad choosing of where/where to to say something. Their communication is a real mess. Specially funny and ironic considering that they make us communicate more efficiently. I also wonder how good they are on the management level (let's face it, their record of meeting deadlines just isn't that good).

But do not think I am bashing. I agree with the OP of sorts. I kinda look at Apple now and see RIM in 2007 "We're king. We nailed the game.", and in 2009 "Let's just add stuff to the phones are they are" - or was the 9780 that different to the 9700? If they don't act, Apple will soon be in the same downhill way RIM started trailing when the iPhone came out (and I don't want that. I thank Apple for the beauty my Z10 is).

Competition is gold. We already lost Palm. If I could have it my way, we'd have all 5 players. But I digress, BlackBerry should fix their communication issues so they can convey their message to consumers, the Street and the media properly; woo developers by doing whatever it takes; and market their devices properly. Seriously. All other companies seem to know how to do this bit right but them.

Now excuse me, my Z10 has bee neglected far to long while I was writing this post.
    we can't get apps because we can't get people to buy phones because we don't have apps.

I actually find this to be stupid. I blame it on the reps. Whenever a person goes in to buy the phone this is the one of things that's pointed out about BlackBerry by reps. If only there was something BlackBerry could do :/

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 09:29 PM
    Not too long ago, I saw Balsille on a talk show and he remarked "RIM does not have a diverse portfolio" little did he know.......one must remember a few short years ago Apple did not have a phone. So before everyone writes IOS downfall, keep in mind....they have a diverse portfolio.

I do use BB and own a Playbook, but also own Itouch and iPad. My employer is replacing BB with IPhones as needed, several thousand.....too bad.

On another note, I did stop in a AT&T store in upstate NY to look at BB and was told BB went out of Biz. That's the big issue in USA, people think this! I hope new sales folks located in USA get this turned around! Marketing and sales, terrible. Why in the world would BB have USA sales force located in Canada? Not sure if they can turn the tide in USA, but I sure hope they can!
    09-14-13 10:52 PM
    Agree wholeheartedly OP. I also believe given more time BlackBerry will do well. Love the Z10, talk about the BB10 awesomeness in its keyboard department (all the time), and promote BB as best I can... People listen (or seem to) but mostly it has been Samsung in my experience, which takes the cake and eats it too. I wish BlackBerry will find a way to take, make, and create just enough, to evolve into a solid competitor, and grabbing along the way a healthy chunk of the pie. #IchooseBB10. Long live BlackBerry.
    09-15-13 12:21 AM
    we can't get apps because we can't get people to buy phones because we don't have apps.

I actually find this to be stupid. I blame it on the reps. Whenever a person goes in to buy the phone this is the one of things that's pointed out about BlackBerry by reps. If only there was something BlackBerry could do :/

Posted via CB10
    Would you rather the reps lie and say that everything customers want is available? Nobody wants the returns or upset costomers that comes from that.
    09-15-13 01:10 AM

Same old talking points yoou only see on CB.

1. iPhone may not make crazy sweeping changes, but they keep the core of what has made them successful intact. And they added another line to help drive sales in the c-series. It's a reasonable guess that they'll outsell all of BB10 devices to date within a month or two.

2. The Moto X is a prime example of how wrong this is. And there are plenty of others.

3. There are Android handset makers worldwide doing new things and putting out better and better products while bringing costs down. Samsung may sell the most high profile, flagship level devices, but there are a ton more moving through all the price points.

4. MS buying Nokia puts them in an even stronger positon with full control of both the hardware and software. WP8 is already a fresh build on the newer kernel for Windows, They won't be due for an update for a while, and they are actually managing to get native apps from the big names, something BB is still struggling with.

What can Apple and Android do against BB? They can outsell and outlast it. Easy. The better question is, what can "QNX powered BB" do against the 3 OS's that are continuing to grow, and offer more to the user? And if it comes to a refresh, when it's ready Apple will do it, and they'll sell because they won't botch it. Their philosophy on software is all about it working right. Android, well, Google loves to do things in beta, and they'll have no qualms about putting out a new OS when they have one done. Maybe it'll be Chrome. And if they stay with the free to use system, it'll be adapted quickly by manufacturers.
    Etios, CrackedBarry and Alex_Hong like this.
    09-15-13 01:23 AM
    Amid all the gloom and doom, lets review what facts we know:
    1. balance sheet is being conservatively managed
    2. inventory and builds managed within sales and balance sheet constraints.
    3. OS10 continues to improve with 10.2 in testing at telcos
    4. product development continues with new device A30 in testing at telcos and to be released soon
    5. BBM about to go cross platform on Apple and Android, and is already being factory loaded on new samsung androids for Africa. This will go global, providing a great opportunity for monetization.
    6. BBM Channels is near ready
    7. Guidance is for zero earnings/share or small losses for 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarter as available free cash flow is re invested in ongoing re structuring.
    8. Management would prefer some sort of partnerships to accelerate and scale up sales, marketing etc rather than outright sale of company
    9. If needed, Blackberry will continue to downsize to match g & a to revenue
    10. On the enterprise side, BES10 rollout is really just starting beginning 3rd quarter so we have to wait for 3rd quarter results to see if BES10 and service revenues for MDM and security are gaining traction
    11. QNX auto gaining traction as automakers world wide including QNX systems in new cars for 2014 onwards. This includes service model and revenues so balance sheet contributions will grow.
    12. Blackberry's elliptical encryption is the best on the planet, currently used by gov't, military and enterprise on BES servers. It is expected that current encryption used by banks, credit card companies and enterprise for wireless transactions will be outmoded with 2 years and will have to migrate to elliptical encryption and licence from Blackberry.
    13. Media sentiment is extremely negative
    14. Market sentiment is very negative for 2nd quarter

Conclusions
    1. Blackberry is not going away any time soon, however, for those who are shareholders, I won't be surprised if Blackberry is trading significantly lower before the 2nd quarter report due before opening on 27th. If so, for those who are not yet shareholders, it will be another great opportunity, perhaps better than the fall of 2012 when Blackberry was trading in the $6-$7 dollar range.
    2. In my opinion, Blackberry is a great speculative buy.
    09-15-13 01:45 AM
    Amid all the gloom and doom, lets review what facts we know:
    1. balance sheet is being conservatively managed
    2. inventory and builds managed within sales and balance sheet constraints.
    3. OS10 continues to improve with 10.2 in testing at telcos
    4. product development continues with new device A30 in testing at telcos and to be released soon
    5. BBM about to go cross platform on Apple and Android, and is already being factory loaded on new samsung androids for Africa. This will go global, providing a great opportunity for monetization.
    6. BBM Channels is near ready
    7. Guidance is for zero earnings/share or small losses for 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarter as available free cash flow is re invested in ongoing re structuring.
    8. Management would prefer some sort of partnerships to accelerate and scale up sales, marketing etc rather than outright sale of company
    9. If needed, Blackberry will continue to downsize to match g & a to revenue
    10. On the enterprise side, BES10 rollout is really just starting beginning 3rd quarter so we have to wait for 3rd quarter results to see if BES10 and service revenues for MDM and security are gaining traction
    11. QNX auto gaining traction as automakers world wide including QNX systems in new cars for 2014 onwards. This includes service model and revenues so balance sheet contributions will grow.
    12. Blackberry's elliptical encryption is the best on the planet, currently used by gov't, military and enterprise on BES servers. It is expected that current encryption used by banks, credit card companies and enterprise for wireless transactions will be outmoded with 2 years and will have to migrate to elliptical encryption and licence from Blackberry.
    13. Media sentiment is extremely negative
    14. Market sentiment is very negative for 2nd quarter

Conclusions
    1. Blackberry is not going away any time soon, however, for those who are shareholders, I won't be surprised if Blackberry is trading significantly lower before the 2nd quarter report due before opening on 27th. If so, for those who are not yet shareholders, it will be another great opportunity, perhaps better than the fall of 2012 when Blackberry was trading in the $6-$7 dollar range.
    2. In my opinion, Blackberry is a great speculative buy.
    You're ignoring the most important fact that we know.

BBRYs board has been trying to unload the company for a year, and recently hung up the "FOR SALE!" sign pretty much publicly.

For the board to be so desperate for a sale seems to indicate that:

1: They have very little faith in BBRYs ability to survive on its own in the future, and
    2: The strategy of BB10 as "the third platform" has failed. Sales of Z10 and Q10 were lower than the company/board expected, and too low for BBRY to be viable on its own.
    09-15-13 03:05 AM
    I also feel that BlackBerry is not giving themselves more time before declaring defeat!

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 03:42 AM
    I also feel that BlackBerry is not giving themselves more time before declaring defeat!

Posted via CB10
    Now that's pure doom and gloom. I will urge you again to get us official word on this "we're selling" thing.

C'mon.

They have been doing this "looking for alternatives" SINCE BB10 LAUNCHED! Selling has always been an option. Just not the one we'd like to see. They could be looking for a way to go private for all we know. No Street pressure, no more value loss for the company and they can focus on turning the ship around instead of pleasing stockbrokers.

Or they are selling if for scrap. Could also happen. Just think most of us are overreacting. robin11's points are a good indication of that.
    bradu1 likes this.
    09-15-13 08:33 AM
    No company would publicly announce they are looking at options if they thought there was any chance they could keep things going. The affect on negotiating long term sales/relationships alone would make it a terrible move. If my wife told everyone that she was rethinking our marriage and looking at options I would be foolish to think that it's anything other than over.
    09-15-13 10:50 AM
    You're ignoring the most important fact that we know.

BBRYs board has been trying to unload the company for a year, and recently hung up the "FOR SALE!" sign pretty much publicly.

For the board to be so desperate for a sale seems to indicate that:

1: They have very little faith in BBRYs ability to survive on its own in the future, and
    2: The strategy of BB10 as "the third platform" has failed. Sales of Z10 and Q10 were lower than the company/board expected, and too low for BBRY to be viable on its own.
    Blackberry has not been trying to unload the company-they have been seeking and reviewing strategic alternatives. Ergo your conclusions are spurious.
    bradu1, BBVegasGirl80 and dusdal like this.
    09-15-13 11:58 AM
34 12