Name a form of communications that is more secure than face to face?
    12-01-13 07:32 AM
    Telepathic?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, m1a1mg and JeepBB like this.
    12-01-13 07:36 AM
    I just googled Blackberry in "news" to see what is happening and then I came across THIS.

Why do they ALWAYS only put BlackBerry into the headlines of such news?

Would it be OK or "normal" if they would have arranged it on iMessage, Skype or WhatsApp?

Teen killed in fight arranged on BlackBerry messenger - ITV News
    They don't ALWAYS ONLY put BlackBerry in those headlines. But then too, if you're doing a Google search for "BlackBerry", then that's all you're going to see.

Google and Apple make similar headlines all the time. But unless they're a rabid fan of the platform in the headline, the reader just really doesn't care or notice.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    BlackBerry Guy and Warlack like this.
    12-01-13 07:38 AM
    Name a form of communications that is more secure than face to face?
    With proper precautions, can't think of any. My post was a joke on two rather highly publicized incidents that recently occurred.
    Last edited by TGR1; 12-01-13 at 08:15 AM.
    12-01-13 08:05 AM
    Cheers for this nice and informative posting here.

So what do you believe is currently the most secure messenger?

Posted via CB10
    that's difficult to answer because part of being safe would have the source code open to audit. If you trust the implementation to match the method described then the two I use are safe slinger (which is almost just a proof of concept - PGP with endpoint authentication added in) and threema (which has it's own approach to endpoint authentication but all of the other items are there - strong cipher, secure key exchange and perfect forward secrecy).

If you need public audit, it will be something like OTR, which is not generally suitable for mobile phone use.

At a much lower level of privacy, what had been said about iMessage implies that it might be more secure than BlackBerry Messenger, but not by much. I suspect iMessage is more difficult to unlawfully intercept.

At about the same level of BlackBerry Messenger is probably Viber, though at this level and below there's effectively no attempt to protect messages from lawful interception - they exist in plaintext form as they cross the servers. That said, viber was willing to be shut out of countries rather than allow server access, which is a good sign.

Skype is even lower than that, the cipher is some variant of RC4 iirc, but it's will known and publicized that it's easy for lawful interception. Given the very insecure history Kik had (at one point usernames and passwords were being transmitted plaintext), that's lower yet, and whatsapp might be a touch better than Kik but not by much.

The one I tend to use for private communication is threema but as I mentioned it is lacking a public security audit (but so is most everything else).

One thing the leaked NSA slides have done is make me believe in security through obscurity a little more. Some of the NSA partnerships with private industry were apparently in place to help the NSA understand commercial crypto systems in order to speed the exploitation process. that seems to hint that it does take a fair amount of time for the NSA to analyze unfamiliar systems to the point of exploitation and if you're just not interesting (and none of us are, I presume) that should make it difficult enough for low enough payoff for them to not bother attacking it.
    Warlack likes this.
    12-01-13 08:11 AM
    With proper precautions, can't think of any. My post was a joke on two rather highly publicized incidents that recent occurred.
    the proper precautions involve stripping naked and sitting in a windowless room with a white noise generator running.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    12-01-13 08:15 AM
    They don't ALWAYS ONLY put BlackBerry in those headlines. But then too, if you're doing a Google search for "BlackBerry", then that's all you're going to see.

Google and Apple make similar headlines all the time. But unless they're a rabid fan of the platform in the headline, the reader just really doesn't care or notice.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    I have tried and failed..... It might be that there is much more news regarding apple and Google.... All I was seeing in terms of bad news was Privacy concerns and security issues with both platforms.....

Seems like it is much harder to sling mud at BlackBerry than the others.... Well... With a higher userbase comes more scrutiny

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 08:21 AM
    the proper precautions involve stripping naked and sitting in a windowless room with a white noise generator running.
    Heh. I was admittedly thinking a tad lower level of precaution along the lines of "what's good enough for me for the situation?"
    12-01-13 08:21 AM
    Heh. I was admittedly thinking a tad lower level of precaution along the lines of "what's good enough for me for the situation?"
    I was thinking that the person you wanted to talk to was an attractive member of the opposite sex, thus the stripping naked part has certain advantages.
    Warlack likes this.
    12-01-13 08:25 AM
    Getting stabbed in the UK is as likely as getting shot in the US.... It is unfortunate and happening way too often.

Just like with suicides, there is a Gentleman's agreement that they are not being reported on, to reduce the amount of copy cats.

Just because they used BBM, it suddenly became relevant enough to break the agreement.

This is the actual Issue I wanted to point out.

Posted via CB10
    No it isn't. Ironic you come out with that on a thread criticizing media objectivity really.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 08:54 AM
    Cheers for this nice and informative posting here.

So what do you believe is currently the most secure messenger?
    The Cone of Silence.
    12-01-13 09:10 AM
    No it isn't. Ironic you come out with that on a thread criticizing media objectivity really.

Posted via CB10
    Elaborate please?

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 09:10 AM
    It's not like BlackBerry doesn't give them ammo all the time to publish bad news but you have to keep in mind there is PROFIT to be made. There is a huge short interest in this stock. Negative news drives the stock down even further. Would be nice if more outlets were more objective with other platforms. It's a trend to bash BlackBerry even if half them don't know wtf their talking about.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.1.1055 - C0006E212
    12-01-13 10:20 AM
    The only company ALWAYS mentioned? You cannot be serious...or more wrong.

What about all the stories about iPhones catching fire and injuring people, sometimes seriously.
    What about the suicides at Foxconn? Every story about those mention the work they do for Apple and mostly ignore the rest of Foxconn's client list.
    What about all the street thefts of cellular devices which invariably mention iPhones or iPads?

Getting past all of that though, what you are detailing is a news report and as such it would need to provide all the relevant details. The fact that BlackBerry is part of those details is not a slam against the company, it is just ACCURATE reporting.

What astounds me though is that someone lost their life and that seems less upsetting to you than the fact that BlackBerry was mentioned. Sad really.
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    12-01-13 10:51 AM
    Because BlackBerry news, especially the demise, makes for great eyeballs, and hence greater Google clicks, and hence more money for the news channel.

It is all about $$$.

BlackBerry is just the unfortunate recipient.

What they need to figure out, is how to use this in their favor.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 10:54 AM
40 12